Author Topic: LG PK550 50" Plasma TV  (Read 74900 times)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: LG PK550 50" Plasma TV
« Reply #60 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 06:26 AM »
according to the salesrep in SM Fview this tv is 450watts -- grabe! pero pwede na for movie viewing lang  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline iAMhitek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 09:01 AM »
@ jerix

from the TV showroom settings and video material shown at SM, this is what I got using my Voltcraft Plus Logger 3500 (calibration verified against my lab instruments):

VIVID, STANDARD and CINEMA Settings:  435 watts maximum
                                                              375 watts minimum
                                                              412 watts average

I find the power consumption readings for the different video settings/modes to be the same contrary to the normal plasma behavior of the Panasonic plasmas. Also, this model is more prone to IR. I may go back to the store any time this week to verify again why this is so and probably do an ENERGY reading for at least an hour.
Very strange LG plasma...........balak ko pa naman to have this TV because of its low price and LG's renowned after sales support.

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011 at 09:54 AM by iAMhitek »

Offline ojokik

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 04:32 PM »
Bought this TV last Dec. 31 at SM Makati and I'm about 50 hours na sa break-in using the 120v slides, HD movies and ps3/xbox gaming.

Nagbasa-basa din ako dun sa official PK550 thread sa AVS Forums http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1235720&highlight=ea+programming&page=152 , so far positive naman ang feedback sa plasma model na 'to.

The only concern which I discovered with this model e walang Expert Mode options sa Picture settings compared to other similar models outside the philippines. Meaning di ka pede mag tweak beyond the Basic and Advanced Picture settings... di mo ma access ang Expert Mode calibration. Tumawag na ako sa LG ph tech support at ang feedback e the firmware is different which they cannot change here kaya no choice.

Pero over-all, I'm happy with this tv, no noticeable input lag sa mga game consoles particularly sa Xbox although as per experience nun mga nasa AVS, you need to use a VGA cable for the xbox para mas fluid although I didn't notice anything using HDMI... HDMI cable is also ok for the PS3.

On HD movies, out-of –the-box, PQs are great, blacks are blacks and the colors are stunning already for my perception using only basic settings. I can't run on optimal settings kasi break-in period pa lang. Pero ang sabi sa AVS the more that I reach the desired 200 hrs break-in period e mas gaganda pa ang PQ which I believe is common for plasmas…. then I can calibrate this as desired.

IR's are common for now dahil bago pa pero if you enable the built-in orbiter and run the color-wash and white wash function after watching, the IR's does go away after a few minutes. Screen reflections will be a problem for some na meron direct background light facing the TV but if you can fix your lighting, this won’t be an issue.

Just an advice lang sa mga interesadong bumili nitong TV model na 'to... please bring a USB flash disk with a loaded v120.1 slides which you can download here at http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/. Plug the flash disk at the left side of the tv then run each color slides. This will then help you identify right away if there are dead pixels off the box of the unit you are purchasing. I’m sure most of you are familiar with this method, just sharing to those who are not.

And if you have finally decided to buy this TV and once you get to set it up at home, you may use the same v120.1 slides to break-in your TV with the following settings…

1. Use one of the inputs preferably the component

2. Settings: Cinema (User) – to be used only for break-in only

Speed setting: Slow
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Color Temp: 0

Gamma: Medium
Black level: Low

3. Any type of "enhancements" should be turned off.

I’ve learned that if you use these settings for the break-in, this will help the phosphorous mature much better.

Normal usage should be set to normal Cinema mode and always watch or play with the orbiter on, to avoid IRs.

I have saved countless of optimal settings but will only be applied once I graduate from the break-in period. I hope the other PK550 owners here will share their best Picture Mode settings so I can learn from them.

Again, I have learned these options after reading more than 150+ pages dun sa official PK550 thread sa avsforums.

I think this is my first post since I joined pinoydvd last Jan. 2, 2008. lol

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011 at 04:35 PM by ojokik »

Offline saling-pusa

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 06:16 PM »
Whats the price tag?

Offline ojokik

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 07:23 PM »
Whats the price tag?

I bought it at 60k cash but it was also being offered at 70k card 12mo 0%.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #65 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 08:41 PM »

Just an advice lang sa mga interesadong bumili nitong TV model na 'to... please bring a USB flash disk with a loaded v120.1 slides which you can download here at http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/. Plug the flash disk at the left side of the tv then run each color slides. This will then help you identify right away if there are dead pixels off the box of the unit you are purchasing. I’m sure most of you are familiar with this method, just sharing to those who are not.

since this tv has a whitewash option, you can use this as your break in "image".  run it for 24 hours and your good to go.  this also ages the phosphor evenly, instead of watching videos zoomed like most people here do.  :)

btw you dont have to check for dead pixels as plasma tvs does not have that issue.  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline ojokik

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 10:56 PM »
since this tv has a whitewash option, you can use this as your break in "image".  run it for 24 hours and your good to go.  this also ages the phosphor evenly, instead of watching videos zoomed like most people here do.  :)

btw you dont have to check for dead pixels as plasma tvs does not have that issue.  :D

Sorry because I was not able to read the information here about how to break-in a plasma because there were only a few pages here on the PK550. I didn't bother na po na hanapin sya dito sa pdvd.

What I did however was read through almost 150+ pages of information on the official PK550 thread on avsforum. Dun ko po natutunan ang advantage of using v120.1 slides as the break-in images so the TV has a chance to cycle through lots of various shades of color. I didn't know that you can use pala ang white wash feature e pede na.

As per my practice while breaking-in this tv, I don't watch contents with black bars so I don't have to zoom the images po. I do however play countless of hours using both xbox and ps3 consoles with the orbiter feature on. I then run for a few minutes the color wash feature after playing para mawala po ang mga IR's.

On the dead pixels, there were actually a few dead pixels with the initial 2 plasmas na nilabas nila sa akin from their stock room. As per my experience, the dead pixels that I saw were not as evident using the white wash and color wash features of the tv. The flash drive that I brought with the v120.1 slides ay malaki po ang naitulong sa akin para makita agad yun mga dead pixels at makabili ng defect-free panel.

If you would like to verify this, you can look for the LG salesman sa SM appliance makati named Ariel. He can help confirm that there are really indeed dead pixels on some of their LG plasma tvs. Ito rin po ay mababasa dito kung ikaw ay miyembro http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.php?searchid=16739612 summarized na po yan ng mga dead pixels experience nila with this TV.  ;)

...or here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19740365&highlight=dead+pixel#post19740365 at page 147 #4391  :)

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2011 at 01:21 AM by ojokik »

Offline iAMhitek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 08:26 AM »
Ojokik is right about these defective panels. I know Ariel of SM Makati and he is more than willing to assist his client for the very best service. Be warned that other models/brands of flat panels got some panel problems too (dead pixels, stuck sub pixels, rising black level on a plasma, accelerated loss of luminance level and white balance degradation on LED-LCD TVs, TOC bezel screen separating at the edge of the frame, and even fault in the video processor circuit), all observed at showroom displays.
When Gerome, the Panasonic guy of SM Makati was still there, together, we used to evaluate practically every model in the store. We witnessed all these defects from various brands.

just sharing bros..................
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2011 at 08:38 AM by iAMhitek »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 16, 2011 at 04:39 PM »
Sorry because I was not able to read the information here about how to break-in a plasma because there were only a few pages here on the PK550. I didn't bother na po na hanapin sya dito sa pdvd.

What I did however was read through almost 150+ pages of information on the official PK550 thread on avsforum. Dun ko po natutunan ang advantage of using v120.1 slides as the break-in images so the TV has a chance to cycle through lots of various shades of color. I didn't know that you can use pala ang white wash feature e pede na.

As per my practice while breaking-in this tv, I don't watch contents with black bars so I don't have to zoom the images po. I do however play countless of hours using both xbox and ps3 consoles with the orbiter feature on. I then run for a few minutes the color wash feature after playing para mawala po ang mga IR's.

On the dead pixels, there were actually a few dead pixels with the initial 2 plasmas na nilabas nila sa akin from their stock room. As per my experience, the dead pixels that I saw were not as evident using the white wash and color wash features of the tv. The flash drive that I brought with the v120.1 slides ay malaki po ang naitulong sa akin para makita agad yun mga dead pixels at makabili ng defect-free panel.

If you would like to verify this, you can look for the LG salesman sa SM appliance makati named Ariel. He can help confirm that there are really indeed dead pixels on some of their LG plasma tvs. Ito rin po ay mababasa dito kung ikaw ay miyembro http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.php?searchid=16739612 summarized na po yan ng mga dead pixels experience nila with this TV.  ;)

...or here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19740365&highlight=dead+pixel#post19740365 at page 147 #4391  :)

ojokik -- did you find a panel without that dead pixel?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline ojokik

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 16, 2011 at 08:24 PM »
ojokik -- did you find a panel without that dead pixel?

Opo at tulad po ng sinabi ko the usb with v120.1 slides were able to help me buy a defect-free panel.

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2011 at 10:12 PM by ojokik »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 17, 2011 at 06:12 AM »
Opo at tulad po ng sinabi ko the usb with v120.1 slides were able to help me buy a defect-free panel.

So this problem is not brand specific. you just have to check them one by one.

Offline ojokik

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 17, 2011 at 08:01 AM »
So this problem is not brand specific. you just have to check them one by one.

Tama po, this is not brand specific. Although there are units na ganitong modelo 50pk550 na meron dead pixel(s). You just have to be meticulous in choosing a unit when spending your investment.

Offline enzo_dlc

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #72 on: Jan 23, 2011 at 08:18 PM »
Is this TV still available at 60? Thinking of getting one next weekend. :)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #73 on: Jan 23, 2011 at 08:41 PM »
Quote from: iAMhitek
rising black level on a plasma

So true. :) I've seen this happen too many times...

Offline chris_santo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 05:09 AM »
Any PJ350 users here? I'm thinking about the pj350 vs the pana 42x20. Ang slim kasi ng LG and ang narrow ng borders.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 06:10 AM »
On rising black level of Plasma:

So true. :) I've seen this happen too many times...

I thought so many wants the plasma because of its outstanding black level. what happens when the black level further rises?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM »
Rising black levels is a Panasonic issue, not an LG issue.

What happens after the Panny black level rises?  Its black level will be slightly higher than an LG PK550, but still better than most TVs.

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2011 at 03:10 PM by barrister »

Offline BongC36

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 07:45 PM »
After 2 months of using the 50PK550R, I can say that this is an excellent unit and has superb performance especially when considering the wallet-friendly price. I did not do any special calibration other than turn the pixel orbiter ON and lower the contrast and brightness levels.

PQ is very sharp, blacks are really inky and the is no judder when the display scene pans. That had been by biggest complaint about my previous Sony 50". The glossy screen does not bother me at all since when the TV is on, the bright picture makes them almost unnoticeable. The glossy screen appears to add to the depth of the picture.

I tried turning the preset to Standard after 2 months but found it too bright.
Here are my settings:
Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 70
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 45
Color:50
Tint: 0
Color Temp: C10
Advanced controls remain at their default settings

Samsung PS 51E550
LG 50PK550R
Sony 50" SXRD
Sony BDP-S360
Onkyo TX-SR308

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 02:10 PM »
Bros -- where did you get your 50pk550? SM fairview is offering this for P62,990.00 are there stores offering lower price for this? thanks

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #79 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 03:05 PM »
On rising black level of Plasma:

I thought so many wants the plasma because of its outstanding black level. what happens when the black level further rises?

The blacks don't get to be as good as when the unit is new. I think that this would affect panels that are run with low contrast/brightness levels more than those used more typically, as the panel wear is lesser on the former... yet the built-in compensation circuitry just depends on logged hours of panel use (not discriminating between actual types of use). This supposedly causes overcompensation, wherein the panel drive level gets further and further from ideal (too high) as time goes on.

I prefer a darker picture, and all 3 plasmas I have/had (from the mentioned affected brand) showed noticeable black level deterioration. At the moment, my bedroom TV (which has the darkest picture) looks more like a typical LCD in terms of black level. I've turned up the picture adjustments (it's now closer to a "properly calibrated" image) to prevent it from getting worse.

Offline ojokik

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 03:58 PM »
Bros -- where did you get your 50pk550? SM fairview is offering this for P62,990.00 are there stores offering lower price for this? thanks

Haggle ka pa, ang final price talaga nyan is P59,990 for cash or straight card payment.

Offline HNY222

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 02:11 PM »
Haggle ka pa, ang final price talaga nyan is P59,990 for cash or straight card payment.

As far as I know, the P59,990 offering is only a xmass promo.  Now, its back to P62,990.00.

Offline artsky

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #82 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 04:25 AM »
parang mas dapat now sila nagbaba ng price as compared sa Christmas na madaming pera at nasa buying frenzy yung mga tao :D

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 05:51 AM »
parang mas dapat now sila nagbaba ng price as compared sa Christmas na madaming pera at nasa buying frenzy yung mga tao :D

Thats why I am little bit leaning towards Panasonic units. March pa pwede ako makabili ng plasma kaya sana mahintay ko pa ang further price cut nito.  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2011 at 05:53 AM by jerix »

Offline tein

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sound and Vision Home Entertainment 0917-5160808
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 10:23 AM »
This is very tempting! I think this is a good upgrade for me from bravia 40v400a full hd lcd. I've always wanted a budget friendly 50 incher and by reading the short reviews here so far almost all are answered agad. need to see this perfrom in actual!  :D We'll let you guys know if i got one na  :)

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 10:27 AM »
I am also scouting for shops carrying this pk550r. SM stores are very stiff on their prices/ Wala na daw talaga tawad sa 62,999 na presyo nila for cash  >:(

Offline tein

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 10:34 AM »
Sir SM lang talaga meron? how about abensons? kahit cash 62,990 talaga?

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 10:40 AM »
Abenson? I will have to check in fairview and commonwealth area.  ;)

Offline tein

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 12:10 PM »
Ok sir will check also next week sa abenson e.rodriguez  :)

Offline iAMhitek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 01:45 PM »
price for this up now by 3 thousand pesos.
just checked it yesterday.
swerte yong bumili na when this was priced at P59,990.00 only