Author Topic: Viva 'Just Movie' DVDs  (Read 2981 times)

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Viva 'Just Movie' DVDs
« on: Nov 07, 2010 at 12:38 PM »
Viva strikes again!  Viva is now releasing a new line of DVDs called 'Just Movie' DVDs.  They pilot-test it a few months back with Confession of a Shopaholic DVD.   These DVDs contains just the movie (hence the 'Just Movie' tag), no menu, no subtitles.  

Unlike their low quality DVDs of before, these are from their Disney label.  And they are DVD9s, albeit they don't use the full 8Gig.  They are even imported (marked Made in Taiwan on the inner rim of the DVD), and it was also marked vanilla 0, vanilla 1 (why? because it's plain vanilla, no extras?).

I decided to throw Php 375 down the can, and bought one.   Disney's A Christmas Carol (2009), PQ is good. Looks like it is from the more expensive DVD.  Audio is okay, and crystal clear BUT it is only in Stereo 2.0.

Titles sighted so far:

A Christmas Carol (2009)
Prince of Persia

Actually, if you are only after the movie and your setup is only in Stereo, it's an okay buy (based on my solitary DVD experience), After all, it is properly labeled and you know what you are getting.  Just a heads-up!

Post updated November 7, 2010 8:36PM
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2010 at 07:26 PM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline DVD_lover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Viva 'Just Movie' DVDs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2010 at 01:14 PM »
Viva strikes again!  Viva is now releasing a new line of DVDs called 'Just Movie' DVDs.  They pilot-test it a few months back with Confession of a Shopaholic DVD.   These DVDs contains just the movie (hence the 'Just Movie' tag), no menu, no subtitles. 

Unlike their low quality DVDs of before, these are from their Disney label.  And they are DVD9s, albeit they don't use the full 8Gig.  They are even imported (marked Made in Taiwan on the inner rim of the DVD), and it also marked vanilla 0, vanilla 1 (why because it's plain vanilla, no extras?).

I decided to throw Php 375 down the can, and bought one.   Disney's A Christmas Carol (2009), and it looks to be in full screen! But PQ is good. Just no extras.  Testing on my PC, will re-edit this with more observations tonight when I get home.

The only upside?  It's Php 375 and at least it's DVD9...

Titles sighted so far:

A Christmas Carol (2010)
Prince of Persia

Just a heads-up!

Confessions of a Shopaholic was released in 2009, not 2010. They also released a "Just Movie" DVD version of The Proposal back in October 2009. I was tempted to buy both titles on that format, buti na lang nag-antay ako.

Is it FOOL-SCREEN ba?

I'd rather wait for the ones with the menus, subtitles, and special features to go down. Buyers, beware. Lalo na kung mahilig kayo sa mga special feautres or you're deaf (because you'll really need the subtitle).

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2010 at 07:25 PM »

Is it FOOL-SCREEN ba?

When I first tried it, I thought it was fullscreen, but to be sure, I checked IMDB and found that Christmas Carol (2009) has an aspect ratio of 1.44:1, and the screen does seem to be wider than 1.33:1, so I guess, at least for this DVD, the Aspect ratio is correct.

As my modified first post indicate, these DVDs are not as bad as first thought.  'Just Movie' is just that.. so you are getting a bit less for less upfront cash.  Fair enough, since it's all properly labeled.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2010 at 07:28 PM by techdude »

Offline tenderfender

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • DVD Addict
  • "vincere et docere" (to win and to teach)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2010 at 07:28 PM »
meron na ring ganito sa TOY STORY 3
ang gulat ko kanina, kala ko naging 375 na agad ung 750, dadamputin ko na dapat pra bilhin pero buti na kita ko ung "JUST MOVIE" tag
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions"

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2010 at 07:35 PM »
What I am afraid of is that these 'Just Play' DVDs will sell well.  After all, many buyers still buy VCDs over DVDs, when their only advantage is cost.  If these DVDs does sell, then they (Viva) might just cease releasing those premium DVDs...

Offline pjayg

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • I am the Nocturnal Prince!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2010 at 08:02 PM »
This basically goes against the only remaining reason why I still purchase original DVDs. I'm always after the special features of movies, which obviously you can't get from DL'ed copies.  :(  :(  :( 

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2010 at 09:12 PM »
This basically goes against the only remaining reason why I still purchase original DVDs. I'm always after the special features of movies, which obviously you can't get from DL'ed copies.  :(  :(  :( 

Word. O0
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline DVD_lover

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 04:58 PM »
Camp Rock 2 also has a Just Movie version.

So I guess we have the following titles:

TOUCHSTONE:
Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009)
The Proposal (2009)

DISNEY:
A Christmas Carol (2009, 2010 DVD release)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)
Toy Story 3 (2010)
Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam (2010)

Offline eli71724

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 09:15 PM »
are they really priced 375? parang 275 lang yung a christmas carol. JUST MOVIE siya and it has no slipcase. no specs at the back of the case.

Offline DVD_lover

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 05:01 PM »
are they really priced 375? parang 275 lang yung a christmas carol. JUST MOVIE siya and it has no slipcase. no specs at the back of the case.

VCD is P275, the Just Movie DVD is P375. P375 po talaga.

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2010 at 08:39 PM »
Toy Story 3 is fulllscreen.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2010 at 08:40 PM by rafgar »

Offline DVD_lover

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2010 at 06:09 PM »
Puro TOY STORY 3 na JUST MOVIE EDITION na lang nakikita ko sa SM, wala na nung may special features. Kung bumili ako nung birthday ko nahirapan ako siguro ngayon.

Offline Jerricson098

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM »
When I first tried it, I thought it was fullscreen, but to be sure, I checked IMDB and found that Christmas Carol (2009) has an aspect ratio of 1.44:1, and the screen does seem to be wider than 1.33:1, so I guess, at least for this DVD, the Aspect ratio is correct.

As my modified first post indicate, these DVDs are not as bad as first thought.  'Just Movie' is just that.. so you are getting a bit less for less upfront cash.  Fair enough, since it's all properly labeled.

Nope, the aspect ratio is incorrect. Bought an R3 and the aspect ratio is 2.40:1. The one you're talking about is the IMAX 3-D version.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2012 at 09:40 AM by Jerricson098 »
You're just a two-time coward loser.

Offline mujacko2002

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 673
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2011 at 01:51 PM »
Mabuhay!

it will only cost you more biro mo for 375 movie lang wala nang ibang features. its to pricey.

God is good all the time!!!
mypalhs.com
planetromeo.com