Author Topic: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO D300 CDP (Need Help) ...  (Read 5113 times)

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO D300 CDP (Need Help) ...
« on: Nov 20, 2010 at 12:25 AM »
Hello!
Purchased (as-is) this CD player from used market. It came with couple of problems; 1) 2 of the 3 display led lights are dead & 2) CD tray does not open, have to remove the lid and load the CD manually to test it. Compared to Marantz Cd player but found a big difference in type and mechanism. Marantz has exposed motor with rubber belt as pulley to move the tray In/Out, whereas all moving parts of this unit are completely hidden.

Is it possible like me (not a tech, but makutingting) to DIY the fix? or have to take it to a real technician? will appreciate any guide  or suggestions to fix.

Actual Pics Below:

More Details:
http://www.nrpavs.co.nz/CambridgeAudioD300.htm

TIA
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO D300 CDP (Need Help) ...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2010 at 08:42 AM »
I cannot really see clearly everything. Try this. Remove the top bridge with the magnetic pluck on top of the transport. This might give you a better view of the internals. Another thing to try is finding the locking mechanism at the end of the tray. This lock, when activated manually will enable you to remove the tray.

My pioneer cd player was unable to open properly due to a loose belt. After replacement, everything works perfectly.

Hope this helps.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2010 at 01:58 AM »

Many Thanks for the reply & suggestions. Removed the top bridge and did some dianostic exercises.Found a blackie gear near the spindle(pics-A&B). Rotated it and managed to push the tray out.Then pushed the close/eject button to close the tray, it did work but after several seconds the tray ejected out again. Repeated the procedure but same results the tray stays out.Also while the tray is IN there was no activity which normally the CD will start rotating and the lens srarts reading the data. After several tests/trials, I observed the lens/spindle housing remains down even at closed position.so,while the tray was in closed I immediatedly lifted UP the the lens/spindle housing and locks the tray in.When I put the CD and the magnetic pluck and press the play button, it works perfectly but the tray will not eject again.  :(

It's possible that the problem is in the mechanism that locks the tray when it's closed but failed to activate automatically to locks the tray in and the lens to read the disc. So, any chance of fixing it without replacing any part?...     

Pic-A (tray closed)

Pic-B (tray open)

Thanks for your patience...  :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2010 at 07:55 AM »
Is there any belt on the transport mechanism? If none, one of the switches might not  be activated due to poor contact. Try to simulate again the whole process and see which swith/es is not activated properly.

Good luck.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 01:32 AM »
Is there any belt on the transport mechanism? If none, one of the switches might not  be activated due to poor contact. Try to simulate again the whole process and see which swith/es is not activated properly.

Good luck.

Sorry, forgot to mention there's small belt (see pic below) that drives the gear to eject/close the tray. As you have suggested to simulate manually the process and found the BELT is already loose that caused the roller guide to skip. Managed to remove the belt and hope I could find a replacement in my area.

Is it required to use original replacement or any belt of same size will do?
Bytheway, Tested the unit by manually loading the disc even without belt it works fine. 

Many thanks again for the reply and Help.  :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 06:09 PM »
Sorry, forgot to mention there's small belt (see pic below) that drives the gear to eject/close the tray. As you have suggested to simulate manually the process and found the BELT is already loose that caused the roller guide to skip. Managed to remove the belt and hope I could find a replacement in my area.

Is it required to use original replacement or any belt of same size will do?
Bytheway, Tested the unit by manually loading the disc even without belt it works fine. 

Many thanks again for the reply and Help.  :)

No need to look for the original belt. Same thickness but with a smaller size (remember the old will have a gibber dimension) should work just OK.

No problem. Glad to help.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 09:55 PM »
No need to look for the original belt. Same thickness but with a smaller size (remember the old will have a gibber dimension) should work just OK.

No problem. Glad to help.

Thank you sir for confirmation and your time.  :)

I will check around this weekend and hope to find replacement ...    :-\
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM »
Finally it's fixed...  ;D Replaced the belt and it works flawlessly just like new...   8)

Many thanks to sir Edwin for his guidance in diagnosing the problem.   :)

Notice the dimmed display panel due to busted led lite, anyhow it's still readable in a distance and  I can live it....

:)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest