Author Topic: Image quality question  (Read 1905 times)

Offline opulescence

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Image quality question
« on: Nov 30, 2010 at 10:03 PM »

Seeing atrocious image quality on a copy of predators 1080p. Is it my screen or is it something else?

Video played via htpc. MKV file. Screen is a Viewsonic vx2250wm

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Image quality question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2010 at 10:09 PM »
Overall IMO I think the whole PQ looks bad. It's hard to see the details of the Pred body.

It could be the mkv file or could be your screen. Have you tried other 1080p materials?
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2010 at 10:10 PM by pchin »

Offline opulescence

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2010 at 10:22 PM »
In the process of doing that right now. It's not easy downloading files 5gb and up  :) But i do agree that the entire image looks bad. I was not expecting benchmark level image quality from a crappy monitor but i at least expected something...... better.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2010 at 11:08 PM »
If you have tried other 1080p movies & they look fine in your monitor, probably it's the Pred mkv files is the culprit. :)

Actually you can try 720p. Many 720p movies have good PQ.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM »
If you have tried other 1080p movies & they look fine in your monitor, probably it's the Pred mkv files is the culprit. :)
Actually you can try 720p. Many 720p movies have good PQ.
yeah, you really need to watch out for those bad encodes.   :-\
ninjababez online ..

Offline himura001

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2010 at 10:21 AM »
Most likely your mkv is the culprit. 5Gb sizes with 1080P mkv look worse than 720P and upconverted dvd with better size and bit rate. I have tested and compared an mkv 720P with 7+ mbps bitrate (around 7GB-9GB file size) and it is just a little better detail or almost the same quality with a sony hdmi upconverted dvd on a 32" BRAVIA LCD. A 1080P mkv with 10 mbps bitrate on 32" 1080P lcd screen are much better (better color+ clarity) than 720P mkv's. If you can endure the long downloading and large files then download those large mkv files cause they are worth it; also, try downloading samples first from the mkv movie file you like and look at the bit rate of the movie. Nominal bit rate for better than hdmi upconverted dvd would be 7+mbps (720P) and 10+mbps (1080). Average file size for 720P of thet bit rate would be 6-9 GB and 10-15GB for the 1080P.

NOTE: If you don't like to download 7 GB up MKV's or don't have a speedy net, you are better off enjoying DVD's from an HDMI upconverted dvd player. 720P and 1080P versions of movies are very critical on animations (because of the lines). The outlines of images in animation is more solid and smoother on 1080P version than 720P ones. :)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2010 at 10:35 AM »
This should be on the "General HD Discussion" board, since it's an mkv file.

Seeing atrocious image quality on a copy of predators 1080p. Is it my screen or is it something else?

There's no way we can answer that unless we have access to the exact same file you're playing.

My guess is that it's a defective mkv cross-conversion.  But you'll have to compare with other files to verify.

Remember that torrent uploaders are a bunch of amateurs.  Proper encodes come from only a handful of expert video buffs who actually know what they're doing.  In their hands, a 720p encode should look nearly indistinguishable from the 1080p source.

So don't be surprised if an encode is defective.  In fact, it's the reverse that is true.  It's when the encode is great that you should be surprised  :D.

That's why I only download AVI files.  Not so much of a waste of time if I get a crappy encode.

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010 at 02:00 PM by barrister »

Offline opulescence

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2010 at 12:38 PM »
@barrister

I apologize for the mispost. Didn't know where to post it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Will compare with other movies when i get home. Hopefully it is a problem with the mkv and not my display.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2010 at 10:06 PM »
Paki inform nga kung anong hour and min yung scene na yan para ma-check ko dito.

BTW, is that the original Predator movie of the 80s or the 2010 version?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2010 at 11:41 PM »
Paki inform nga kung anong hour and min yung scene na yan para ma-check ko dito.

BTW, is that the original Predator movie of the 80s or the 2010 version?
BUMP! :)
ninjababez online ..