Author Topic: Problem with Aspect Ratio  (Read 1144 times)

Offline neilc

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Problem with Aspect Ratio
« on: Dec 03, 2010 at 03:01 PM »
I have an LG 37in Full HD LCD and a Panasonic BD45 Player. I noticed that almost all my BD titles are playing with black horizontal bars even if I set the TV and player to 16:9. When I use the zoom function of the TV, the picture is a bit distorted already.

Please help.

Thanks.
Apple enthusiast. PlayStation Addict

Offline himura001

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Problem with Aspect Ratio
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2010 at 03:21 PM »
Many movies will still be displayed with black bars on top and bottom because their aspect ratio is different from most HD/LCD/Plasma TV's. You have to play a movie that has an actual 16:9 aspect ratio to get the fullscreen on your TV or zoom 21:9 to fill it. The 16:9 aspect ratio is designed to show 1.85:1 movies on most HD TV's and these are mostly shot on 35mm film. Newer films are shot in 2.35:1 (21:9) aspect ratio for ultra-widescreen and are shot on that aspect ratio for better viewing in theaters. Usually a film has two versions: a 16:9 for most HD televisions and 21:9 which is mostly for theater, you should choose movies that have the exact aspect ratio as your TV.

If the zoom function of the TV is skewed or distorted, it might be better to use the zoom function of your player. The quality of the picture size depends on the player's adjustment increments. Most BD players, specially samsung BD players have a fill screen function that automatically adjusts and zooms ultrawide movies to 16:9 hd TV's.  Next time you should be critical in buying movies that are specified to be in 16:9 or 1.85:1 aspect ratio, this is usually indicated in the back. Hope this clears something!  :)

Offline neilc

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2010 at 03:32 PM »
Thanks bro. That was a detailed reply.  You mean to say that not all BD titles are 16:9? 
Apple enthusiast. PlayStation Addict

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2010 at 03:46 PM »
If you zoom in, you will lose portion of the image the resolution is sacrificed.

Read: All About Aspect Ratios (And Why Widescreen Really Is Better)

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html

"Most serious film enthusiasts prefer the letterbox format, in which the ENTIRE film image is presented, and black bars fill the unused screen area at the top and bottom of the frame."

"...the director's original widescreen composition is preserved - you're seeing the WHOLE film, as you were meant to. Why would you want to see the film in any other way?"