Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 335103 times)

Offline dibidi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I lab my dibidis
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #2010 on: Sep 01, 2017 at 07:20 AM »
after watching Game of Thrones, I now feel that the Lord of the Rings Trilogy feels like kid stuff :)

even though walang mas adult themes ang LOTR. its still > for me than GOT. I cried at the end of Return of the King. I haven't cried one bit sa Game of Thrones.

Offline Ashburndaride

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2011 on: Sep 01, 2017 at 07:52 AM »
When bran went into the tower of joy, he heard lyanna mention jon's name. When he went back during the scene with sam, the name became aegon targaryen. Bran's whim be done.

I don't recall Bran hearing "Jon" from Lyanna. Bran (and us the viewers) clearly didn't hear what she whispers to Ned at the first time. I think Ned gave the name "Jon Snow" after Lyanna died.

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2012 on: Sep 01, 2017 at 07:58 AM »
Not necessarily "jon" but rather whatever name it was. He was there. Had lyanna said aegon targaryen, he would have known about the wedding right then and there.

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #2013 on: Sep 01, 2017 at 08:01 AM »
It's Hollywood drama of course. Who knows, GRRM might have wrote that scene differently in the upcoming books.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #2014 on: Sep 01, 2017 at 10:07 AM »
I like the more adult and political themes of GOT more than LOTR because they are more contemporary - in line with the times so to speak.  The characters in GOT are more complex than any single character in LOTR.  Also plot wise, GOT is far more intricate and interesting to me, unlike the straight good versus evil plot of LOTR.  (If you go deeper though, LOTR is really about anti-industrialization).

As books, I far enjoyed ASOIAF (GOT) more as well, as I found LOTR too wordy.  GRRM's writing style is more efficient at telling a story, and more modern.  As writers though, I believe JRRT is the better one especially in terms of prose and poetry.  LOTR is a classic and is standard reading material in most Western high schools, something GOT will never be.  GRRM copied JRRT's style of having a world map (Middle Earth vs Westeros/Essos) with thousands of years of history and strange and varied cultures and dialects.  LOTR is more impressive in this regard.   
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 at 10:14 AM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #2015 on: Sep 01, 2017 at 10:29 AM »
LOTR and GOT. Apple and oranges, I love them both but can't deny Tolkien's fantasy started it all that influenced Martin as Lucas Star Wars influenced the sci-fi genre. The LOTR trilogy is outstanding already in it's theatrical version imagine if it was made thru mini series like GoT.

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2016 on: Sep 01, 2017 at 11:40 AM »
Game most def. Not just the sex and violence (which makes me think LOTR is strictly for preteens) but Martin has a concern for the common man that's missing from Tolkien--many of his characters are commoners (Bronn, The Hound, Hodor etc.) and many episodes reflect the effects of war, economic, physical and psychological, on ordinary folk. Beyond the Hobbits you don't see much of that in LOTR.

Yes LOTR was first; I think Martin improved on Tolkien, added the multifaceted (as in various POV) depth to epic narrative that Tolkien lacked.

Of course if we're talking great fantasy, why you mean The Once and Future King, Beowulf, and Homer's epic poems. Not to mention Cervantes' glorious spoof of them all. I don't think Martin or Tolkien (or CS Lewis who I rate above Tolkien) are in the same league.

And of course I forget Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast. Poetic prose? That belongs on top of the list.

« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 at 12:17 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #2017 on: Sep 01, 2017 at 12:24 PM »
pa OT, imo, GoT > LotR. I hate one scene there when the ghosts from the ship or mountain ata cleaned/cleared up the battlefield. feeling ko nagkatamaran na...

back to GoT stuff! dito nalang ako nagbabasa ng spoilers and stuff

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2143
« Reply #2018 on: Sep 01, 2017 at 12:43 PM »
Pasingit lang OT hahaha:
'Mas magaling ka pa sa scriptwriter ng Game of Thrones': Aguirre grilled in Senate for fake news
https://www.rappler.com/nation/180768-aguirre-fake-news-doj-budget-hearing-senate-trillanes

Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #2019 on: Sep 01, 2017 at 12:44 PM »
Hmm, GOT with LOTR is like comparing NBA greats from different generations ........ they're both great, borrowed snippets from other greats and contemporaries.

GOT's appeal is of course its very mature themes, which are very in tune with the times ........ heroes and anti-heroes each with their own faults and sins.

LOTR came from a far more simple time where good vs evil was clearly defined and where good always wins in the end.

How I wish that HBO (or rival outfits) does a very well-made series on Greek mythology ......... it has mature and controversial themes (heck it's ancient) and wide range characters spanning generations.

Only problem is, Hollywood has overdone with Greek mythos with countless popcorn movies (Troy, Percy, Immortals, etc) which dilutes it somehow.

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #2020 on: Sep 02, 2017 at 05:40 AM »
lagay natin to dito

it reads:
"Sansa,
Cersei Lannister has pledged her forces to our cause, as has Daenerys Targaryen. If we survive this war, I have pledged our forces to Daenerys as the rightful Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. We are both coming to organise the defence of the realm.
Jon Snow, Warden of the North"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toy

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2021 on: Sep 03, 2017 at 10:39 AM »
after watching Game of Thrones, I now feel that the Lord of the Rings Trilogy feels like kid stuff :)

actually jrr tolkien wrote LOTR intended for the kids. i dont think grrmartin wrote GOT for the kids. daming profanity and sex... haha

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #2022 on: Sep 03, 2017 at 01:09 PM »
The Hobbit was intended for kids. I think LOTR wasn't necessarily intended for kids.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2023 on: Sep 06, 2017 at 05:19 PM »
Read ss8 baka battle of preggy beaches

Dragon fight red fire vs blue lpg flames

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2606
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline VenoM_Unleashed

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #2025 on: Sep 29, 2017 at 03:56 PM »
Engaged na pala si Jon Snow at Ygritte. Babalik na sila sa cave. Congrats!  :)

#redorpurplewedding  :D

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1237
« Reply #2026 on: Dec 08, 2017 at 06:44 AM »
From ComingSoon.Net

Sophie Turner Confirms 2019 Premiere for Game of Thrones Season 8

It has long been rumored that the last batch of episodes for Game of Thrones won’t premiere in 2018 but will instead arrive the next year, the first time that the series hasn’t premiered a new season in successive years since it began. Speaking with Variety, star Sophie Turner confirmed fans’ worst fears, revealing the series wouldn’t be back until 2019.

When Game of Thrones returns in 2019 it will be with giant-sized episodes, previously confirmed to each be feature length.

Offline edwn1220

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #2027 on: Dec 30, 2017 at 06:38 PM »
Late in the game as always  >:D
I have always preferred to wait for the BD release of each season over watching GoT on cable. My wife and I are now halfway through with S7 and we love every minute of it. While I felt extreme satisfaction on the demise of some nasty characters, l was really sorry for those who have grown on me in the last 6 seasons. Ganda! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2017 at 09:11 AM by edwn1220 »
Frans hominum ad perniciem, et integritas ad salutem, vocat.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1237
« Reply #2028 on: Jan 05, 2018 at 06:31 AM »
From ComingSoon.Net

HBO confirms Game of Thrones won’t return until 2019

As has been speculated for many months, and said by none other than the cast members themselves, HBO has officially confirmed today that the final season of Game of Thrones will not premiere until 2019 on the premium cable network. The series’ eighth season will consist of just six episodes, previously confirmed to each be feature length.

Offline edwn1220

• DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
« Reply #2029 on: Jan 05, 2018 at 01:15 PM »
^ There are conflicting reports about the length of each episode of season 8. One website says fans shouldn't expect all 6 will be feature-length episodes:

The final season will also definitely be only six episodes as previously reported. While some episodes may be longer than usual, once again we’re hearing not to expect feature-length episodes throughout the season.

- Entertainment Weekly                                                                                                                                                                 

While another source in an interview, actor Liam Cunningham (Ser Davos Seaworth himself!) had this to say about the final season:

[The episodes are] definitely going to be bigger and what I hear is longer. We’re filming right up until the summer. When you think about it, up until last season we’d have six months to do ten episodes, so we’re [doing] way more than that for six episodes. So that obviously will translate into longer episodes.

- ComingSoon.net

It's anybody's guess at this point, unless showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss confirm this rumor.

Offline ramsey

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2030 on: Jan 21, 2018 at 08:13 PM »
Jon Snow is a Targaryean? So he and Dany  are related?

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2031 on: Jan 21, 2018 at 08:21 PM »
Dany is Jon's aunt, seemingly?

Offline edwn1220

• DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
« Reply #2032 on: Feb 02, 2018 at 01:58 PM »
Jon Snow is a Targaryean? So he and Dany  are related?
Dany is Jon's aunt, seemingly?

Jon's relationship to Daenerys was hinted as early as Season 6 and was confirmed in Season 7.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2033 on: Feb 02, 2018 at 02:06 PM »
If Jon and Dany are the heroes, why would the writers to have them commit incest this late in the series?
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2018 at 02:08 PM by bumblebee »

Offline sirhc

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #2034 on: Feb 02, 2018 at 03:11 PM »
^I think that is the point with Game of Thrones. There's no clean-cut hero and villain that everyone's accustomed to, there's just these people driven by their motivations at any given point.

Well, except maybe for Joffrey, that ones a whiney little son of a *&$## :D
Never stop learning.

Offline thebat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2143
« Reply #2035 on: Feb 15, 2018 at 08:29 AM »
Warning: Spoiler Alert!

This 'Game of Thrones' fan theory may just have nailed the entire plot of Season 8

https://mashable.com/2018/02/14/game-of-thrones-season-8-plot-predictions.amp
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #2036 on: Feb 15, 2018 at 09:02 AM »
^ After reading the (leaked) script of Season 7 months before it aired ......  palagay ko iwasan ko na itong link na ito.   ;D

Offline loverlionus

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #2037 on: Feb 15, 2018 at 01:44 PM »
An interesting tidbit I found when I re-watched "The Last of the Mohicans" was that the actress playing the sister of Madeline Stowe played the witch that Cersei asked for a prediction.

Offline dnous10

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2038 on: Feb 15, 2018 at 02:16 PM »
s07ep7 lang ba talaga ito? nabitin na nman ako oi :(

Offline thebat

• PinoyDVD Legend