Author Topic: Online DVD Rental  (Read 1522 times)

Offline FlixOnline

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Online DVD Rental
« on: Jan 12, 2011 at 09:39 PM »
Hi Guys! Im a newbie here. I am seriously considering on opening a Online Movie Rental similar to Netflix in the US, Quickflix in Australia or Lovefilm in the UK. Does anyone know a DVD distributor in the Philippines? Will Region 1 DVDs imported from the US play here in the Philippines? Are DVD players in the Philippines play only Region 3 DVDs? I also plan to carry Blu-ray which has no problem with Region coding with the US.

I will have my own courrier deliver and pick up the movies. I plan to start with selected areas only --- namely Legaspi Village, Salcedo Village, Rockwell Center, Bonifacio Global City, Ortigas Center, Eastwood City, Mandaluyong and other Hi-Rise developments.

The only thing stopping me is the Region 1 and Region 3 issues. Prices of Region 1 DVDs in the US drastically goes down after 2 weeks from release date abnd even lowest after 28 days. I plan on having New Releases every week with a 2 weeks delay from the actual release date in the US. This way I can compete on prices against pirated DVDs.

Quickflix   http://www.quickflix.com.au/

Netflix     http://www.netflix.com/

Lovefilm   http://www.lovefilm.com/learn/howitworks.html
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011 at 09:56 PM by FlixOnline »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Online DVD Rental
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 09:45 AM »
Most but not all current DVD players purchased here have multiregion capabilities. However, I will note that my father recently purchased two separate, different branded generic players that have issues playing certain Region 1 DVDs.

Good luck with your venture, though. Please let us know if it succeeds. I wish you well, but really don't see how you can compete in the current Philippine market where pirated DVDs are as low as 25 pesos (that I've seen, not sure if anyone sells them for less) and almost everyone with a broadband internet connection can easily access a film weeks or even months before its official US street date release without leaving their homes.

Perhaps if you capture the expat market, or other people who show a little more respect for copyright laws.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM »
^ Ditto. And it doesn't help that most people that can afford this service, would still opt for pirated DVDs. I can't tell you how many rich people I know who have HT dens choking full of bootleg DVDs.

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM by Dan »

Offline FlixOnline

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 06:15 PM »
^ Ditto. And it doesn't help that most people that can afford this service, would still opt for pirated DVDs. I can't tell you how many rich people I know who have HT dens choking full of bootleg DVDs.

I do not blame them to watch pirated movies, just not convenient to rent Original New Releases. There's not much choices out there. Pirated dealers has more copy depth and even beat the street date.