Author Topic: Dedicated HT Room. Need suggestions?  (Read 6774 times)

Offline caycski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dedicated HT Room. Need suggestions?
« on: May 21, 2003 at 03:53 PM »
Guys,

I'm on the planning stage of putting up a dedicated HT room. Been reading a lot of materials lately from room acoustics to standing waves to bass trap and believe me it's no simple task for an ordinary guy like me who have no idea what a good acoustics is all about.

I need your suggestions as to where I can canvass acoustic materials for my future HT room with 6mx4mx8ft dimension. Initially, it'll be all concrete walls, planning to put 3/4 flyboards as inside wall and carpet on the flooring.

Question:

- Is it enough to have a good sound in this type of room?

- Is there any store that caters mainly with the required materials for my dream room such as acoustic board, diffusers, etc.? May I seek your help in providing me with such.

I need to know the nitty gritty details for budgetary purposes (with my wife's support and agreement at that). Hope you can assists me on this one and wish me luck on my project.

Thanks.

caycski  

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
Re:Dedicated HT Room. Need suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003 at 01:18 AM »
Hi, we have limited suppliers for acoustics but this might help.

Soundproofing a Room

Just keep on reading magazines, books and try to surf the net.

This might help also.

picture of your HT set-up

Why do have to install plyboard, why dont you consider acoustic boards, but make sure not to make the room sound dead. Put some shelves, Sofa, Carpet and acoustic board for the ceiling. You can start with that.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003 at 02:01 AM »
You don't really need to go to that route. Dahil they will cost you alot of money. And if you're on a budget.. you're better off spending the money on the gears as opposed to wasting on soundproofing the room, stuff like that.

concrete is perfectly fine for speakers. Just add in carpets, sofas, etc. and that will easily kill the liveliness of a room.

curtains rin, i guess.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003 at 09:38 AM »
well I think sounds will definitely bounce off concrete walls, and might produce echo... what I did with my room was I installed gypsum boards over the concrete walls... you can put acoustical foams between them to add more absorption...

I've also read from some site that there should never be any space for the sound to go out, your room has to be sealed... well I guess that is if you really want to have a theater-type room acoustic...

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003 at 09:53 AM »
Lots of information here:
Theater Builder

Be warned, though, one of the most popular topics is "How did you finance your HT?" so you can view it as a possible road to ruin. But then, we all know that already, right?

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:02 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Sa Uratex sa may West SErvice road, they are selling foams used for soundproofing.  Maybe you can check it out.

Good luck!  ;)

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003 at 01:49 PM »
Just add carpets and drapes nga. and it should be fine na. i believe.

Offline caycski

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003 at 05:05 PM »
Guys,

thanks to all your suggestions. Currently, my gears or my HT stuff is currently located in my living room con HT room. I can't seem to satisfy myself with the quality of the audio considering all the clatter that you'll hear from different directions. I can't put also an aircondition unit in my sala co'z it's open to kitchen and stairs going up.

My wife is not open to the idea of "re-arranging" per se her part of the house (sala), thus, the idea of another room dedicated for audio/video performance came up with her blessings.

I'm also on a budget but the more I learn from reading, the more costly this project becomes. I'll discuss first with my builder friend the cost involve and if it'll take a lot from my meager budget, I guess I had to have more patience listening and watching or convince my wife to make pakialam to our living room to satisfy myself.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll check each and everyone of them.

caycski

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003 at 01:54 AM »
so.. I don't mean to put your budget down or what. pero. I am just speaking realistically here..

Unless your gears are worth atleast 100k php... don't bother with sound proofing. Or anything like that.

dahil that right there is gonna cost you at the least 35k in materials.

Just get a rug, a few drapes to cover your windows. paint your room whatever color you want. and there you go. What matters most naman is that you keep the room tidy eh. tsaka how the room looks doesn't matter for most enthusiast.

What matters is how good the picture, the sound, and the seats are lang. Dahil, if you're gonna watch a movie, you wanna turn the lights off. So worry more on the proper setup, kaysa worry about the room.

Offline johndoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003 at 07:49 AM »
so.. I don't mean to put your budget down or what. pero. I am just speaking realistically here..

Unless your gears are worth atleast 100k php... don't bother with sound proofing. Or anything like that.

dahil that right there is gonna cost you at the least 35k in materials.

Just get a rug, a few drapes to cover your windows. paint your room whatever color you want. and there you go. What matters most naman is that you keep the room tidy eh. tsaka how the room looks doesn't matter for most enthusiast.

What matters is how good the picture, the sound, and the seats are lang. Dahil, if you're gonna watch a movie, you wanna turn the lights off. So worry more on the proper setup, kaysa worry about the room.

i agree with that... ;D plus can i suggest that if u are planning to build or set up an HT room,lagyan nyo ng light dimmer controls ung lights..i myself meron.. ;)

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003 at 08:57 AM »
there are some companies or contractors doing acoustic treatments. just look at the yellow pages (commercial/industria) under insulation or acoustic insulation. the only problem is the cost.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003 at 08:59 AM by ariel »

Offline caycski

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003 at 09:07 AM »
greatbop / johndoe,

it's always my lifelong dream to have a good sounding room be it dedicated or not. Modesty aside, my gears are worth more than 100K that's why I dreamed of having an acoustically sound room to place it with.

Being an open minded, let me try the least economical approach just like what you've recommended (a few rugs, drapes on windows etc.) and let's see the difference it'll bring.

It's always nice to hear suggestions from people who think not only of the outcome but how you arrive from it. Thanks for the recommendation guys and let me consider all options layed out in this thread.

caycski

Offline EB

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003 at 11:22 AM »
You don't really need to go to that route. Dahil they will cost you alot of money. And if you're on a budget.. you're better off spending the money on the gears as opposed to wasting on soundproofing the room, stuff like that.

concrete is perfectly fine for speakers. Just add in carpets, sofas, etc. and that will easily kill the liveliness of a room.

curtains rin, i guess.

Sorry Greatbop but I have to disagree with your comment. Your room is very important, perhaps even the most important in your system.  The worst system i have heard is not because the audio equipment is cheap but because the dimension / acoustics of the room is bad.  I'll choose a mid fi system in a good room anytime as opposed to a high end system in a bad room.

Cayski, your questions focus mainly on acoustic materials.  I think, even before you go there, study first the ideal dimension of your room for home theater.  This is key IMO.

If you are in a budget, selectively treat your room.  Decide where youre going to place your speakers and then identify their reflection points.  Apply treatment to those points to minimize reflection.

Depends greatbop.  Since it appears that cayski is building his room, might as well do it right the first time around.  Say his system is worth P90k right now.  What if he decides to upgrade later on to a P200k system?  Should he knock down the walls again to accomodate his new toys???  Cayski, try to determine if you will stay with this hobby for quite sometime.  If you are, then most likely you will end up upgrading later on.  If this is the case, might as well build a nicely treated room now.  It will be more cost effective in the long run.

Enjoy.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2003 at 11:42 AM »
yeah I agree, a room that is acoustically tuned will make your equipment sound better... even if you are using low-mid end equipment only...

in fact, I've read from lots of HT sites that the room is the most overlooked aspect of a home theater, and is in fact, one of the most important aspect especially if you want to hear what was originally intended for you to hear.

so if you have the budget, then I suggest to treat your room accordingly, if you have limited budget, then you can selectively treat your room as suggested by EB. :)

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2003 at 01:24 PM »
Agree with sgc_wdi about the importance of the room. I even think it's the biggest variable in the whole system. My current bedroom speakers (classic Celestions) have sounded so different in four different rooms. Changing amps and sources didn't make as much difference as changing rooms. I was never able to replicate what they could do in a good, bigger room where I heard them first.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2003 at 02:35 PM »
I agree with the importance of the room. Very very much. Pero concrete is perfectly fine as it is.

It's not perfectly dead, yes. pero compared to a room that's filled with windows, and no curtains.. it's way better, diba?

And i would rather have HIFI gear on an Acoustically OKAY room. than Midfi gear of a room that's been acoustically treated.

Offline caycski

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003 at 04:52 PM »
EB / sgc_wdi / slowhand / greatbop,

thanks guys for the comments and sugestions. The main reason why I ask for guidance is for budgetary purposes. I don't want to start a project then stop in the middle due to lack of foresight and right information.

For one, definitely I'll put up another room. Is it for HT use only? No. It'll be for multi-purpose but with preference to audio/video application. Given the choice of "selective" room treatment as mentioned by sgc_wgi, I might resort to that depending on the remaining budget. By reason of practicality, it's a lot easier to treat acoustically our existing living room but the benefits of having another room (partially treated acoustically at that) makes me decide to go for the latter.

I may not have the best hi-fi equipment but surely it puts a smile on my lips the moment i listened to my favorite audio and watch my favorite dvd much more to a new room partially designed for HT viewing pleasure.

Thanks again for the insights!!!! It's most welcome.

caycski  

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003 at 08:24 PM »
You can do the basic things. Install carpet, acoustically treated ceilings, drapes, sofa and some shelves. I think you will be happy with those treatments. If you still have some budget you can add wall treatments and some bass traps. Dont forget you still have to budget for good lighting, aircon,and door/window seals. This will match a mid or high end system.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #18 on: Jun 06, 2003 at 09:29 AM »
just to add--mag lagay ka kaya ng kahit maliit lang na BAR, kasi baka maisipan mong mag shot ng konti habang nanonood kayo ni esmi ng concert na live ni Barry Manilow--  ;D

moreover, me kasi i love nature and i always see to it that there are big green plants around my setup. somehow kasi plants around the setup refreshes the eyes.--  ;D --not unless sealed din from lights ung HT room mo at obviously di mo na makita mga plants--  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline caycski

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 03:58 PM »
Guys,

here's an update of my project:

- after much thought on what other's have suggested on this thread, me & my wife decided to hold for the moment putting up a new room dedicated for audio/HT function.

- what we have done is put up a 5x7 ft. carpet in between the tv and main couch (previously bare).

- installed a 1.5hp ACU for the living room (currently also my HT rm.)

- installation of drapes for windows is on-going.

- replacement of ordinary ceiling with that of acoustic board (planning stage pa lang coz i can't find a store where i can buy these things) to minimize if not eliminate those rattling sound.

Well, just like what i've said before, this project depends on the availability of budget as well as free time (i'm also working 8-5 from mon to fri kasi).

I guess the title of this thread should now be "room improvement" instead of Dedicated HT room hehehehe.

Thanks for the time and enjoy your system whatever it maybe.

caycski

rtsy

« Reply #20 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 04:12 PM »

Offline [r0n1n]

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #21 on: Jun 26, 2003 at 05:08 PM »
guys, i learned that for a dedicated HT room, your room must be irregularly shaped. Will it help kung maglalagay ka na lang ng let's say small table or cabinet o artificial plant etc etc.... just to eliminate standing waves (tama ba????)  ??? ???
Paradigm Studio 10 | Anthem MRX310 | Power Sound Audio XS30 | Mirage Prestige

Offline lomi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Question about building a home theater
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2004 at 09:22 AM »
hi, i need some of your expert advice, comments and suggestions on my on-going construction for a dedicated home theater / music room.  The room's dimension (clearance inside the room L x W x H) is 3.6 x 4.7 x 2.7m.  All four walls are solid concrete and have windows on two side of wall.  I already put acoustic boards on ceiling.  So the next treatment is the wall and floor.  Here's now my question:

1.   I'm thinking of putting a false wall in addition to the solid wall on all 4 walls.  It is made from gypsum board w/ thickness of 9mm and will stuffed foam between it.  The distance of the gypsum board to the solid wall will be 2 inches.  Will this be effective as an acoustic treatment?
2.   Are you familiar with Jardine Davies' Flotex?  It's a nylon based carpet that's very easy to clean.  I just want to know again if this carpet is the same as the ordinary carpet and if can be a used as an acoustic treatment.
3.   Question about speaker wires.  I will be putting ordinary gauge 12 speaker wires inside the wall that will run to each speaker and will be putting a wall plate with binding posts into it.  If i use branded speaker wires like the ecosse 2.3 from the speaker to the binding post of the wall plate.  (e.g. receiver -> ord. gauge 12 sp. wires -> eccose 2.3 wires -> speaker) Will I hear the benefits of the branded sp. wires?  
4.   What kind of drapes are good for home theater?

If you have any suggestions or inputs, pls. feel free to share it :) Thanks in advance.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Question about building a home theater
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2004 at 04:42 PM »
Hmm. Lots of questions, including those you haven't asked. Suggest you go over to avsforum.com and visit the "Home Theater Builder" section.

Let me try a couple:

1. "Will gypsum board be effective as acoustic treatment?" No. Gypsum does not do a good job of absorbing or diffusing sound. You'll still need materials that do those two jobs. Your plan might keep sound in, if that's what you mean by acoustic treatment, but it won't help diffuse sound within the room.

2. Not familiar with Flotex. But carpets, or area rugs, do help prevent sound from bouncing up and down between ceiling and floor.

3. You'll get different opinions about branded and generic. As for me, I wouldn't mix and match within the same path.

Good luck!

Offline lomi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2004 at 12:24 PM »
thanks slowhand for the reply!  the reason why I'm putting the false wall is to hide the cables and wires and to dampen the low freq. produce by the sub.  Do you think this will work out fine?  I'm worrried about my windows.  It's not a double pane glass but has sealant all over it.  I don't want sounds to leak outside the room so what do you guys suggest to treat my windows?

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2004 at 04:00 PM »
Your welcome lomi.  :) You should PM levi as he's done a number of rooms.

It seems you're most concerned with keeping sound in; I reckon the double wall will help. Hopefully you have a cement floor too, to keep your sub's bass from leaking too much.

If you're using the double wall to hide cables, see if you like a conduit (big-diameter pvc pipe) so you can pull them when you need to change them.

I used double glass windows, which are effective for keeping sound in, and out. My only leak is through the door, which I could block with upholstery from a leather seat-cover maker if I wanted to.

You still haven't addressed acoustics inside the room, which are much more difficult. But neither have I  :-[ as I'm still breaking in gear and learning about acoustics.

Offline lomi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2004 at 07:22 PM »
Thanks slowhand.  Yeah, you're right.  For me, I'm still confused with the principles and theories about acoustics.  I never had experienced to differentiate between good and bad acoustics.  I consulted an architect for my room's acoustics and that's what he suggest for me to do.  By the way, how thick should the door be? Is it better to use steel or wooden door?

the 'ht room' of mine is located on the first floor and has concrete slab on grade.  On top of that are wooden parque and will be putting the Jardine Davies' Flotex for the acoustical treatment of floor.  Is it okay if i didn't removed the wooden parque?

What can you suggest on the acoustical treatment around the room without having sound to leak outside the room?  I think it's hard to make a soundproof at the same time acoustically treated room... sigh   :-\

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2004 at 10:55 PM »
IMHO, try some combination of fabric for the walling, like the one you see in the AV magazines. Try to improvise if it is not available or too expensive. It looks better than plain gypsum board. You can lay over the carpet but you might need to adjust the door. Any carpenter can do this. Use door and window seals, it is quite effective.

Offline lomi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 07:58 PM »
Thanks levi.  

question uli, which is better, sound absorber or sound diffuser?  

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 11:50 PM »
Im not sure which is better but I think its a case to case depending on your usage.