Author Topic: DVD Rant: Lacking on Special Features  (Read 4883 times)

Offline Jerricson098

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DVD Rant: Lacking on Special Features
« on: Sep 05, 2012 at 09:48 AM »
With the recent bare bones release of the R3 DVD Copy of THE AVENGERS by Disney/VIVA, its sad and frustrating paying full price with a minuscule Special Feature.

First and foremost, this is not VIVA's fault although many comments on their Facebook page are putting the blame. Its Disney's fault. Studio are too selfish nowadays and forcing people and home video consumers to shift to Blu-ray which is very unfriendly and really made me angry. I know Blu-ray is the most popular home video disc on America but many people in the world still doesn't own one. Look at Warner for example, they got too many complains after their horrible DVD transfers. I think they learn their lesson because the DVD transfer of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 was good on HDTV.

You know, as of 2011, DVD sales are actually 75 percent of all home video consumer sales. So DVD isn't going anywhere.

I think the last DVD I bought with almost no Special Features at all was the original old release of Gone With the Wind. And the last DVD I saw with Special Features that exactly the same was The Hunger Games and The Tree of Life.

If you want to see more, try clicking this link:
http://www.ifc.com/fix/2011/11/what-happened-to-dvd-special-f
You're just a two-time coward loser.

Offline Weasel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: DVD Rant: Lacking on Special Features
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2012 at 08:02 PM »
the lack of those bonus features have kept me from buying recent/current movies on DVD. I stuck to earlier movies na nag-benefit sa glory days sa DVDs. But even with that, blu rays got new transfers that were seldom re-released sa DVDs. The last one I got was Toy Story 3. It felt incomplete kasi I knew there was a 'better' version and of course more effort was given to that format.

Since its release plano ko bumili ng The Avengers na DVD pero I feared na barebones siya because of the length of the movie. Konte lang talaga yung features at wala nang 2-disc edition DVD.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2012 at 10:00 PM by Weasel »
Pass na mo para dili mo ma-pasmo

Offline mrclark

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • A PinoyDVD reader
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2012 at 10:12 AM »
Kaya instead of people buying DVDs or Blu-rays, they opt to get it thru other means.  Well, it is the studio's lost and their undoing.  I'm still one amongst many who still watch movies in DVDs due to high-cost of Blu-rays disks and players (HTIB), and reading thru some threads in the BD section, it seems there are some issues as well.

Offline sincnarf

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2012 at 04:57 AM »
...dapat talaga bigyan ng mga studio ang consumers ng options to choose how they want to own their home videos: by including most if not all special features na present sa BD, 'di yung barebones lang tlaga for DVDs  >:(

as a Batman DVD collector, the upcoming The Dark Knight Rises video will include only 1 special feature sa DVD while BD unsurprisingly gets the bulk of additional features. My hope is that with the release of the trilogy boxset, we will get a 2disc version of TDKR as shown in the pic below but I could be wrong  ???

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2012 at 04:58 AM by sincnarf »