Author Topic: AMD HD 5450 Gigabyte Locally Available (Best Budget HTPC Video Card?)  (Read 14503 times)

Offline FrancisD

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The 'Dream' HTPC video card is now locally available for less than Php 2,200! This is what I recommend to HTPC builders (personally I'm waiting for the AMD Fusion E-350). I don't have long term experience with these cards so share comments to those who have this  :D

the card is able to bitstream high-def audio codecs to your compatible receiver over a protected audio path.
Tomshardware

it is silent and the fact that it can do HDMI 1.3a with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio it is the ideal graphics card for a HTPC. For less than $60 the Radeon HD 5450 video card costs less than HDMI sound cards like the $139 ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Slim HDMI Audio Card that was once needed for DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming.
Legit Reviews

This also scores a perfect 100 from HD HQV benchmark. Silent, cool, great video - what more do you need?

See links below:

http://www.techspot.com/review/244-ati-radeon-hd-5450/page3.html

http://www.pro-clockers.com/videocards/1173-gigabyte-gv-r545oc-radeon-hd-5450-.html?start=5

http://techgage.com/article/atis_radeon_hd_5450_-_the_perfect_htpc_card/10

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1202/13/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5450,2549-4.html

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Even though im an ATI fanboy IMHO Nvidia GT430 is much better for HTPC  ;D

http://www.hwcompare.com/7151/geforce-gt-430-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-5450/

Offline FrancisD

• Collector
  • Liked:
Comments on other alternatives / recos for HTPC video cards?

The GT 430 looks good (mas mahal lang and less power efficient).

I've tried HD 3650 and HD 5750 in terms of basic HD playback -both deliver very good video quality (output to 32 inch samsung Series 3 LCD) - I guess we are at a point where video quality is high all around.

HD 5750 can do digital audio pass through for HDMI, HD 3650 cannot do this. I believe the GT 430 can also do HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1...

For those who can afford it - HD 5670 is relatively power efficient and can handle PC gaming with modern titles (the most powerful card not needing an additional power connector).

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Very nice...  looks like ito solution sa HTPC problem ko (how to send HD Audio to my HDMI AVR).  It's been causing me to consider going back to the NMT route.  Pero cheaper to get this video card than another NMT.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2011 at 08:42 PM by paolorenzo »

Offline FrancisD

• Collector
  • Liked:
Great, try this card. Just note that if you are sensitive to video quality - NMT is in a different class (lower). Also, with a PC, sound quality is only limited by your budget, hehehe. You can do HDMI, separate digital out to a dedicated stereo DAC....

Happy Listening :)

Offline cHess

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Nice one.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Great, try this card. Just note that if you are sensitive to video quality - NMT is in a different class (lower). Also, with a PC, sound quality is only limited by your budget, hehehe. You can do HDMI, separate digital out to a dedicated stereo DAC....

Curious lang ako, sa mga kaibigan natin dyan na nakasubok na ng pure BD rips via any kind of NMT, and who also own a real BD player or HTPC, do you really notice any difference?

Na-divorce kasi ang PC ko from the HDTV ever since I bought a V20 and I have not bothered to compare a PC output to that of my A200 on pure BD rip playback because I'm quite satisfied with the A200 output.  Also, I dont have a BD player...but between MKVs and pure BD rips via the same NMT, kitang kita ang difference sa image and naririnig ang difference in sound - at least with my gears.

Offline molins

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:

Curious lang ako, sa mga kaibigan natin dyan na nakasubok na ng pure BD rips via any kind of NMT, and who also own a real BD player or HTPC, do you really notice any difference?

Na-divorce kasi ang PC ko from the HDTV ever since I bought a V20 and I have not bothered to compare a PC output to that of my A200 on pure BD rip playback because I'm quite satisfied with the A200 output.  Also, I dont have a BD player...but between MKVs and pure BD rips via the same NMT, kitang kita ang difference sa image and naririnig ang difference in sound - at least with my gears.

ako din sir curious,  ???, from my simple setup, i was able able to compare measy and laptop video quality using avatar 25 gig, mas nagandahan talaga ako sa laptop video ko, i dont know if this subjective or what, any observations?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
ako din sir curious,  ???, from my simple setup, i was able able to compare measy and laptop video quality using avatar 25 gig, mas nagandahan talaga ako sa laptop video ko, i dont know if this subjective or what, any observations?

First time ko palang na-try ang NMT, I noticed immediately na mas matingkad ang color ng PC, but that was in March 2009 pa.  Since then, encodes have improved, video bitrates have increased tremendously and then lumabas na nga ang pure BD rips, not to mention gumanda na lalo ang IQ ng mga HDTVs.   So I dont know if obvious pa rin ang advantage ng PC using those kinds of contents, in combination with better HDTV.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
I would personally still prefer the HD5670 over the others. :)

Offline cHess

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
First time ko palang na-try ang NMT, I noticed immediately na mas matingkad ang color ng PC, but that was in March 2009 pa.  Since then, encodes have improved, video bitrates have increased tremendously and then lumabas na nga ang pure BD rips, not to mention gumanda na lalo ang IQ ng mga HDTVs.   So I dont know if obvious pa rin ang advantage ng PC using those kinds of contents, in combination with better HDTV.

I have tried different video cards ATI and Nvidia some low end and high end video cards. If the purpose is  only FullHD viewing, I can't see the difference in PQ with my current NMT. Even compared to a bluray player, same source halos walang difference talaga.  :D

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
Finally ordered this from PCNetmiles in TPC.  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5450 1Gb DDR3.  P2,200 lang (Gigabyte 1Gb version is P2,800).  I hope I got a good VC.  1 year shop warranty plus 2 more years warranty from Axis Global.  Not bad.

Can't wait to install tonight on my 870G HTPC rig.  Di yata puwede mag Hybrid XFire ang older 870G (Radeon 3200) and the newer HD 5450 eh.  Sana simple lang ang setup, and kaya na agad mag-output nang audio (HD, DD, DTS, PCM) via HDMI right after installation.  Para isang cable na lang from my HTPC to my AVR...

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
more feedback im planning to built a htpc rather than NMT
please advise kung anu pwedeng ibundle na MOBO dito sa vc na to..
Love me or hate me.....

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
more feedback im planning to built a htpc rather than NMT
please advise kung anu pwedeng ibundle na MOBO dito sa vc na to..

Any mobo with PCI-E should be ok.  Pero kung Hybrid CrossFireX ang habol mo na feature (which many say is useless), check mo the below site:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/products/certified/Pages/certified-motherboards.aspx

Offline FrancisD

• Collector
  • Liked:
I think the quality from video cards is better, but its very subjective. People find LCD better than Plasma, but for me the Plasma HDTV delivers picture quality that are so much better its hard to compare. What I mean is though people are more sensitive to visual information, we care less about the actual quality - i.e. for me size maybe given more weight than picture quality. NMT video quality now is better.

Advantage of PC is that you have better picture quality, numerous sound upgrade option and playability of files. Maybe I may not care about actual picture difference for NMT, the sound quality for me takes the case. Hard to listen to really good audio from NMT (Popcorn). I have only one main system and when you do home theater and stream music, the audio quality in NMT I have tested is not good enough.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Lately, I have installed a BDROM to my HTPC with the following specs:

Emaxx EMX-ANF82HD-PRO

2GB DDR2
AMD Athlon X2 5000+

Running on the onboard nVidia GF8200 Graphics via HDMI,  I just noticed that when I play BDs, the video stutters and hangs totally.  I can play my downloaded 1080p MKVs flawlessly with this rig.  Haven't tried full BD rips though.

Do I need a separate video card to play those BDs smoothly? I hope the gurus can help me on this one.  TIA.

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
doc shared kasi ung RAM pag onboard ang gamit and the BD audio uses a lot of RAM kaya its either add more RAM or add new video card I'll go for the later  ;)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
doc shared kasi ung RAM pag onboard ang gamit and the BD audio uses a lot of RAM kaya its either add more RAM or add new video card I'll go for the later  ;)

Thanks for the response bro! Looking at my low profile videocard options, it's either the ATI HD5550 or the NVIDIA GT430.  Any suggestions on which is the better buy? This is definitely for BD playboack and no gaming purpose.

Offline cHess

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Thanks for the response bro! Looking at my low profile videocard options, it's either the ATI HD5550 or the NVIDIA GT430.  Any suggestions on which is the better buy? This is definitely for BD playboack and no gaming purpose.

doc go for GT430. ;)

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:

Ako naman, I'd go with ATI Radeon HD 5550.  They're better suited for HT.  For gaming, go GeForce.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
doc go for GT430. ;)

As I've read in the forums that Nvidia is a bit late on developing videocards for HTPC applications specially those that bitstream HD audio. With this, I surmise that ATI might be a bit "mature" for HTPC videocards that can bitstream HD audio via HDMI.   

Ako naman, I'd go with ATI Radeon HD 5550.  They're better suited for HT.  For gaming, go GeForce.

Looks like I will be leaning towards ATI for my HTPC purposes.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I have a 3870 and a 4850, thus I am an ATI fanboi.  Hehehe.  ATI has always been more advanced when it comes to video engine but perhaps Nvidia has already caught up (not in the time of my cards though).

The advantage in getting an Nvidia is its exclusive support for its proprietary Nvidia 3D Pack - I think - and if you are a heavy hardcore gamer.

Offline FrancisD

• Collector
  • Liked:
I believe the gf8200 is a poor candidate for HD playback.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-blu-ray-video,2030-7.html

It drops frames in higher resolution.

An interim solution is to use lower resolution when playing HD content with GF8200. Best solution is get the HD 5450 video card. This scores extremely high in HD tests and does HDMI audio. Cheaper too at Php 2,200 or thereabouts...

If you want something cheaper for HD playback but without HDMI audio, I had good results with HD 3650.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2011 at 03:53 PM by FrancisD »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
The advantage in getting an Nvidia is its exclusive support for its proprietary Nvidia 3D Pack - I think - and if you are a heavy hardcore gamer.

Not really a fan of 3D. Even in local theaters, I would still prefer watching the 2D version.

I believe the gf8200 is a poor candidate for HD playback.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-blu-ray-video,2030-7.html

It drops frames in higher resolution.

An interim solution is to use lower resolution when playing HD content with GF8200. Best solution is get the HD 5450 video card. This scores extremely high in HD tests and does HDMI audio. Cheaper too at Php 2,200 or thereabouts...

If you want something cheaper for HD playback but without HDMI audio, I had good results with HD 3650.

My goal really is a smooth BD playback plus HD audio bitstreaming to my receiver via HDMi thus narrowing my choices on the 2 videocards. Thanks for the advise though.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Smooth BD playback on a 5XXX series is highly expected because even my old 3870 and 4850 can do that.  HD-Audio streaming - that you have to verify yourself and inform us.  ;)

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
I have a question but I'm not sure if this is the proper thread.

Anyway, I have a 9800GT with 1GB of GDDR3 memory with an HDMI out. Does it tax the card's resources if I use both Video and Audio from it? Or should I output the sound instead through my sound card, keeping both video and audio streams separate?

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Got mine last night in PCExpress for Php2,050 Gigabyte brand  ;)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
Got the Powercolor HD5550 this afternoon. Hooked it up to my rig and ran King Kong BD. Smooth playback! Woohoo! Haven't tried HD audio thru HDMI yet. I will update.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Congrats Doc Nerveblocker! I'm glad that you finally got what you were after. :)

To those who want 3D, the HD6xxx series isn't very expensive, and you get HDMI 1.4a 3d support afaik. Of course, the Nvidia GTX4xx and GTX5xx should also work.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
Got the Powercolor HD5550 this afternoon. Hooked it up to my rig and ran King Kong BD. Smooth playback! Woohoo! Haven't tried HD audio thru HDMI yet. I will update.
doc keep me posted. :)
ninjababez online ..