Author Topic: Toshiba AV700 to Toshiba RV700 UPGRADE?  (Read 4686 times)

Offline thirdie88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Toshiba AV700 to Toshiba RV700 UPGRADE?
« on: Jan 27, 2011 at 07:12 AM »
Is it a good decision to upgrade from Toshiba 32AV700 to Toshiba RV700?
Is PQ really better with RV700? TIA:)

Offline silverknight

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Toshiba AV700 to Toshiba RV700 UPGRADE?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 07:49 AM »
If I we're you, I'd stick with AV700. I saw the difference at Glorieta 4 ( I think its Abenson, near the food court ). AV700 has better picture clarity/sharpness even though RV700 has Full HD capability. Better go for LG LD460 as an option instead. I haven't heared any negative feedback on the 32" but only on 37&42" variants of this model.

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 10:01 AM »
Is it a good decision to upgrade from Toshiba 32AV700 to Toshiba RV700?
Is PQ really better with RV700? TIA:)

I think what bothers you is the "noise" from your AV700 and not the color rendition of the model. If that's the case, may I suggest that you "demo" the RV700 and bring along your favorite movies and check if the RV700 definition of picture noise suits you.

Let me know.

Offline thirdie88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM »
I think what bothers you is the "noise" from your AV700 and not the color rendition of the model. If that's the case, may I suggest that you "demo" the RV700 and bring along your favorite movies and check if the RV700 definition of picture noise suits you.

Let me know.

Yes Sir Carlo, the colors are really nice on the AV700 except for the noise on dark scenes and some bright scenes. I'll do check out the RV700 and I hope I dont see any noise.
Parang ganito sya (yung noise) :
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvpics/reviews/xv645/52xv645_4911.jpg

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 10:25 AM »
Yes Sir Carlo, the colors are really nice on the AV700 except for the noise on dark scenes and some bright scenes. I'll do check out the RV700 and I hope I dont see any noise.
Parang ganito sya (yung noise) :
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvpics/reviews/xv645/52xv645_4911.jpg

Ok, best bring those DVDs. The noise you described or what you showed me is familiar to nearly all LCD panels. It's just that some display them more prominently than others (even my very good Panasonic V20 has them esp if the brightness is jumped up). Also, if using a DVD player from Pioneer and during demo, please set the player to "Limited RGB" and or "Component".

Let us know how it turns out. I think it's better to guide you step by step now! I read your newer threads and I wouldn't want you to to end up with another TV that you'd upgrade from in less than a few months. ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline thirdie88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM »
Thanks Sir Carlo!
Appreciate your time :)

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 01:21 PM »
There are movies that have noise no matter what panel you buy.
What particular movie do you watch that has noise?

Offline thirdie88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 01:32 PM »
Every movie I tried which has dark scenes. Some movies even had slight noise on bright scenes.
Reason I noticed this is I compared the tosh 32av700 with a samsung 32b350
i used the same player and same movies
Noticed on samsung that there is no noise on any movie
Most prominent noise was on Iron Man2. Scene where Tony Stark went inside cell of Ivan(Mickey Rourke)
I think this was after the F1 race scene.

Offline valcrist08

• Apprentice
  • newbie! please guide me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2011 at 09:10 AM »
nasan po ung noise du nsa attached na picture?  ???
ano ba yan.. balak ko pa nman bumili tv kaso ung mga flaws di ko alam tignan..

help naman hehe..
saving up for 32rv700!

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2011 at 09:26 AM »
Does this include 42av700?  What kind of noise do you hear? The reason why I asked, is because I have 42av700 but I don't hear the 'noise'. :)

Offline thirdie88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2011 at 09:34 AM »
I am referring to picture noise
yung medyo grainy pag dark scenes. sometimes medyo pixelated din pag dark scene.
Sa people walang noise nor pixelation pero sa background kitang kita

Offline valcrist08

• Apprentice
  • newbie! please guide me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2011 at 09:37 AM »
yung medyo grainy pag dark scenes. sometimes medyo pixelated din pag dark scene.

ahh.. siguro mejo mahirap makita kapag picture lang..
akala ko depth of field haha..

well sa RV700 po ba less na ung noise na yan? un kasi ang prospect kong tv eh..  ;D
saving up for 32rv700!

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2011 at 09:45 AM »

Ok.  ;D What particular movie would this be or all the movies be kapag dark scene grainy ba?

Offline thirdie88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2011 at 09:57 AM »
yup
sakin ganon. basta dark scene ganon sya.
so far around 10 movies na na-try ko may noise talaga

Offline Aya80211N2

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2011 at 01:04 AM »
@thirdie88

I also notice that when i tried to demo a Tosh AV700 before..Although it's not that visible when you moved 5 to 6ft away..we even tried playing a 720P movie thinking maybe the problem is with the movie being played but ended up with same result. You may try to lower down the contrast and see if it's still noticeable.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2011 at 01:11 AM by Aya80211N2 »

Offline thirdie88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2011 at 08:10 AM »
thanks aya! :)

Offline iAMhitek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 01:41 PM »

Sir, I spent the whole day yesterday evaluating close to 100 flat panel TVs (plasma, LCD CCFL backlit and LED backlit LCD) from the biggest appliance stores in order to verify your concern since my own AV gears are only SONY, Panasonic, Onkyo and Pioneer ( I don't have Toshiba and Samsung LCD TVs).
You are absolutely correct that the Sammy LCDs are indeed noise free. In fact, the Sammys have the most "grainy-free" picture regardless of the setting.
The plasmas of LG and Panasonic have the worst noise or grainy video (like my SONY CRT TVs).
SONY and LG LCDs (CCFL or LED backlits) are second only to Samsung.
The other brands, depending on the model, are either at par or inferior compared to SONY and LG.
It was really very difficult to evaluate each TV since I was becoming a distraction at the stores, once in a while.
I did all possible tweaking with the Toshiba LCDs (CCFL and LED backlits) particularly on the 32AV700 and we found out that you may do the following adjustment to your 32 -incher to minimize or almost eliminate the noise or grainy video signal ( make sure you have good quality HDMI cable and video signal):
1) turn OFF the NOISE REDUCTION (factory preset is ON)
2) set MPEG NR to HIGH
3) set DNR to HIGH
Observe the screen video quality if the noise is gone or reduced. If noise is still the same, most likely you need replacement or servicing of the unit. If the noise is reduced or at acceptable level then:
4) set MPEG NR and DNR to either LOW or MIDDLE till the noise is still within your taste.
Although the Toshiba TVs are grainy ( like the plasmas and my CRTs), watching them at proper distance made the noise unnoticeable.
Switching to the 32RV700 is futile since these models both have the same level of inherent noise.

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2011 at 08:35 AM by iAMhitek »

Offline silverknight

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM »
If I we're you, I'd stick with AV700. I saw the difference at Glorieta 4 ( I think its Abenson, near the food court ). AV700 has better picture clarity/sharpness even though RV700 has Full HD capability. Better go for LG LD460 as an option instead. I haven't heared any negative feedback on the 32" but only on 37&42" variants of this model.

My apologies. Please excuse me for my mistake on the comparison of these two models of Toshiba. Last week, I was able to visit the store again and to my surprise... it was actually a Toshiba RV600!!!
against an AV700.

Offline thirdie88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2011 at 08:57 AM »
Sir, I spent the whole day yesterday evaluating close to 100 flat panel TVs (plasma, LCD CCFL backlit and LED backlit LCD) from the biggest appliance stores in order to verify your concern since my own AV gears are only SONY, Panasonic, Onkyo and Pioneer ( I don't have Toshiba and Samsung LCD TVs).
You are absolutely correct that the Sammy LCDs are indeed noise free. In fact, the Sammys have the most "grainy-free" picture regardless of the setting.
The plasmas of LG and Panasonic have the worst noise or grainy video (like my SONY CRT TVs).
SONY and LG LCDs (CCFL or LED backlits) are second only to Samsung.
The other brands, depending on the model, are either at par or inferior compared to SONY and LG.
It was really very difficult to evaluate each TV since I was becoming a distraction at the stores, once in a while.
I did all possible tweaking with the Toshiba LCDs (CCFL and LED backlits) particularly on the 32AV700 and we found out that you may do the following adjustment to your 32 -incher to minimize or almost eliminate the noise or grainy video signal ( make sure you have good quality HDMI cable and video signal):
1) turn OFF the NOISE REDUCTION (factory preset is ON)
2) set MPEG NR to HIGH
3) set DNR to HIGH
Observe the screen video quality if the noise is gone or reduced. If noise is still the same, most likely you need replacement or servicing of the unit. If the noise is reduced or at acceptable level then:
4) set MPEG NR and DNR to either LOW or MIDDLE till the noise is still within your taste.
Although the Toshiba TVs are grainy ( like the plasmas and my CRTs), watching them at proper distance made the noise unnoticeable.
Switching to the 32RV700 is futile since these models both have the same level of inherent noise.

Thanks a lot sir! Appreciate it!

Offline thirdie88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2011 at 08:58 AM »

My apologies. Please excuse me for my mistake on the comparison of these two models of Toshiba. Last week, I was able to visit the store again and to my surprise... it was actually a Toshiba RV600!!!
against an AV700.

Thanks a lot!

Offline viper2391

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 11:25 PM »
Yeah, I think this part of the whole cinematic experience as movies are shot in film.  If you don't want to see noice then CGI movies like those created by Pixar should be perfect without noice.

If there is no noice then MPEG or DNR could be turned to MAX settings which I really don't like.