Author Topic: Samsung LCD Washed Out Color Issue  (Read 9081 times)

Offline TimSavvy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Player Enthusiast :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Samsung LCD Washed Out Color Issue
« on: Oct 12, 2010 at 06:01 PM »
Hi Guys,

I hope someone could help.

Has this happened to anyon?

My 3 yr old Samsung 32" LA32R81B LCD HDTV colors suddenly became washed out (entire screeen) while I was watching game review tips via my HD Player.  It seems like it's overly gamma-corrected (color washed out and unusually weird contrast) and even the menus are somewhat affected.

I tried the following troubleshooting steps:
1) Other ports/inputs (XBox-Component/HD Player-HDMI/Cable TV)
2) Unplugged from the Omni 1000VA AVR for about 30 mins
3) Soft Reset via regular Menu and Service Reset via the Service menu (I learned that from research)

Despite the steps above, problem still persists.

One thing to note is that when I tried to pull out my TV, I was a bit electric shocked twice even when the AVR was turned OFF and no part of my body was touching concrete walls or the ground (wood w/o nails flooring).
It could've come from the Cable TV Wire or my modded an external Fan XTreamer HD Media Player that traveled through the TV's HDMI, perhaps?

Anyway, I researched the net a bit and found very little info about the washed out issue.  One site discusses that dust on the flat LCD connector may need to be blown and reseating could fix the issue.

I brought the LCD to the Samsung Service Center in Greenhills (along Ortigas) last Thursday.  Parking slot is always scarce there so had to wait long.  I already followed up twice but it seems that couldn't find out what's wrong or, I'm just presuming, they haven't started to diagnose it yet.

It's pretty expensive there because they automatically charge P650 for diagnostic fee in case you won't have it repaired there -OR- if they deem your device is unrepairable.  And basic labor fee is at least P950.

I'm hoping someone here can help me by either providing me an additional troubleshooting step or if in case a service technician is really needed, can recommend a trustworthy technician or a trustworthy shop who could possibly do home service.

Has anyone here heard of such issues w/ LCDs?  If yes, what's the usual reason why it happens and what's the usual fix?

TIA! :)

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Samsung LCD Washed Out Color Issue
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2010 at 05:41 PM »
Just to update everyone-

In a phone conversation w/ their representative, I found out that their rate in home service is the same as if I would bring and pick up my item there (with all the hassle of carrying the heavy LCD around and negotiating their very limited and usually full double parking slots).  Sinayang ko pagod ko, same price din pala ang home service. :(

After following up several times over the past week Samsung Service Center in Ortigas, I got feedback that they're charging P 5,222.00 for the T-Con Board that needs to be replaced.  I asked if there's warranty.  There's 3 months warranty on the replaced part and service.

Anyway, I told them to proceed.  I made the right decision kaya in reviving my Samsung HDTV LCD for that price?  How long will a repaired Samsung LCD usually last kaya?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2010 at 06:59 PM »
... I made the right decision kaya in reviving my Samsung HDTV LCD for that price?  How long will a repaired Samsung LCD usually last kaya?

Yes, that's a good decision.

Nobody can tell with 100% accuracy how long the repaired unit will last, not even the tech himself.  O kaya, kahit tumagal ang buhay ng repaired part, baka ibang part naman ang masira.

Risk talaga yan.  But if it's a 3 year old unit, tapos P5k lang naman ang gastos, Ok na rin ang risk.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2010 at 06:59 PM by barrister »

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2010 at 07:04 PM »
^
I appreciate your input bro.

I guess I just need an assurance that my P5.2k is somewhat well spent considering the risk.  May 3 mos warranty on parts replaced and service naman.  Not that I'm hoping there's a next time, but if there is (knock on wood), sana home service na nila since wala namang palang difference.. super hassle pa sakin. :)

Anyway, once repaired, my Samsung will be placed in the sala as our secondary TV.

I'll buy a new TV (37" if it would fit) for my room as a replacement.  Might visit SnS again. :)

Dali talagang masira ang samsung.. lahat ng nasiraan sa other thread (Lifetime of LCDs) Samsung. :(

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2010 at 07:44 PM »
^ And yet hyped pa din ang Samsung.  :)
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2010 at 08:28 PM »
Dali talagang masira ang samsung.. lahat ng nasiraan sa other thread (Lifetime of LCDs) Samsung. :(

No, hindi naman siguro.  Masasabi mo lang yan if you have a formal survey with a big enough sample size to back up that conclusion.  Otherwise, minalas lang siguro kaya nasira ang TV.

Maraming reports ng nasisirang Samsung kasi maraming Samsung users.  Conversely, hindi pa ako nakabasa dito ng nasirang Norcent TV, but that doesn't mean na matibay ang Norcent --- baka naman konti lang ang owners kaya konti rin ang reports.

In fact, Samsung TVs are consistently rated as one of the most reliable (Philips and Toshiba raw ang sirain):

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154129/sony_hdtvs_rated_most_reliable_by_pc_world_readers.html

http://www.brighthub.com/electronics/home-theater/articles/67074.aspx

« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2010 at 08:44 PM by barrister »

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 09:10 AM »
^
Good thing mataas rating ng binili kong upgrade na replacement na LG 37LD460.. :)
Better in all specs and better in actual PQ.

Philips doesn't show that it's the worst based on the chart you posted bro. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2010 at 08:53 PM by TimSavvy »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2010 at 09:23 AM »

Who said Philips is the worst?  ... :)

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2010 at 04:01 PM »
^
In fact, Samsung TVs are consistently rated as one of the most reliable (Philips and Toshiba raw ang sirain):

Anyway, just dropped by Samsung Service Center Ortigas.  Hindi na daw available yung TCon Board ko locally and they will try to look for it in other countries. :(

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2010 at 05:01 AM »
In fairness to Samsung, they are good in marketing there products and are really improving in the design/aesthetics department. On the other hand, it is the reliability that I am afraid of.

Yong Bravia ko, 2006 pa. Til now buhay pa din.
And we have 4 other Sony CRTs in the house.
The oldest one is already 20 years old (Black Trinitron). Madilim na nga lang ang picture pero useable pa din.
The rest, wala pa namang mga major headaches.

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM by nels76 »
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2010 at 05:44 PM »
Hands down, my Samsung LA32R81B, *aesthetically* looks better than any screens I've bought.
Pinakamalakas pa magadvertise locally.

Sakit sa ulo ang Samsung Service Center.  To make matters worst, pinuntahan ko na kse hindi sila tumatawag o magtxt man lang regarding the status kung matagal pa or what.

Chaka ko lang nalaman na wala palang piyesa (T-Con Board) available locally and if after a month, they still can't find the part outside the country and if I can find the receipt daw, they may pay me (settlement siguro) within or outside warranty.

Kung di pa ako pumunta, di ko pa malalaman na wala palang piyesa (T-Con Board) for my LA32R81 2-3y.o. LCD.

Ang taray pa nung kumausap na babae sa receiving station.
Parang ako pa ang binabayaran para kausapin sha.  
They need to train their people na they're in a "Customer Service" department mindset at hindi sila yung customer.  I asked the lady where's their parking space.  She said, "jan sa labas".  I asked her again, "sobrang hirap chumempo may lalabas and I had to wait over an hour just for an available slot."  She answered, "ganun talaga."  Grabeng customer service yan.

Over a week na, wala man lang feedback kung tatagal pa ang pag papagawa or what.

Aside from wala ng parking, ikaw pa ang kailangan mag follow up.

I called their Service Center Ortigas branch to ask if they do home service and how much.  I found out same price for carry in.  I told the lady on the phone na dapat pina home service ko kse aside from walang maparkingan sa area nila, ang hirap pang magbitbit ng monitor.

Sakit sa ulo ang Samsung Service Center.  To make matters worst, pinuntahan ko na kse hindi sila tumatawag o magtxt man lang regarding the status kung matagal pa or what.

Chaka ko lang nalaman na wala palang piyesa (T-Con Board) available locally and they may pay me (settlement siguro) if I can find the receipt.  Kung di pa ako pumunta, di ko pa malalaman na wala palang piyesa (T-Con Board) for my LA32R81 2-3y.o. LCD.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2010 at 12:58 AM by TimSavvy »

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 12:18 AM »
Bili ka na lang ng bago Tim.

;)

Offline carloloi16

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Kryptonian
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 12:53 AM »
i think just got a his new lcd, 37ld460..

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 01:02 AM »
^
correct. :) I just did.

I remember how much better the LG service was compared to Samsung that influenced me to upgrade to LG in my small room. :)

Bili ka na lang ng bago Tim.

;)
I'm still disappointed since I would want to use the repaired Samsung as a secondary TV in our sala sana.  Para sa maid namin to keep her busy w/ the local channels or something my mom could use when she watches noon time shows in the dining area.

Nakakahinayang lang na 2-3 y.o. Samsung LCD would run out of parts. :(  Lalo na something as important as a T-Con board.

Bad experience na nga yung parking and customer service, ako pa ang kailangan magfollow up para lang malaman na walang available part locally. :(
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2010 at 01:25 AM by TimSavvy »

Offline carloloi16

• Collector
  • Kryptonian
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 01:18 AM »
my LA32R81B is still up and running.. hopefully i won't have the same problem. nasa laguna pa kasi yung unit, i don't think they would come over for home service in case i encounter some problems with it.. but so far so good..

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 01:24 AM »
^
when did you buy it bro? :)

Offline carloloi16

• Collector
  • Kryptonian
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 02:20 AM »
3yrs ago..

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 11:15 AM »
my LA32R81B is still up and running.. hopefully i won't have the same problem. nasa laguna pa kasi yung unit, i don't think they would come over for home service in case i encounter some problems with it.. but so far so good..

I also have the same unit. Bought it ata at 2006. So far so good. I'm very happy with samsung. I have 3 units na. 32R81, 46M81, 55C6900. All totally awesome to me. Very lucky so far no prob (knocking n wood) ;D

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 04:06 AM »
ang swe-swerte nyo!!

What peripherals are connected in your R81 units?
is the R81 better than S81?

I have an External fan Mod to XTreamer kse and it could've grounded my XTreamer and transmitted it through HDMI cable?  Is that possible kaya?

Btw, I'm using an Omni 1000VA AVR.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM »
hmm not sure about the fan. Pero somebody told me before na you have to turn everything off, pati switches, before you plug or unplug your hdmi to your tv or it will ground it. To be safe make sure all is off. Use avr and surge protector.

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 06:11 PM »
^
It's the first time i read about switching the TV and Gears off before plugging/unplugging HDMI cables.
Has it been discussed anywhere?  IT would be really helpful if you can share a link.

Btw, I'm using an Omni 1000 VA AVR and when the issue started and I was about to remove cables, I was somewhat very mildly electrecuted by the chassis of my XTreamer.  I'm presuming the modded fan wire accidentally touched the chassis and transferred the electric current to my hand?  I dunno if that's even possible.

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 2010 at 04:24 AM »
Bad trip ang Samsung.

My 2 yr old LA32R81's color became washed out.
After over a week, Samsung Service Center @ Ortigas asked for P5.2k for the T-Con board replacement.
After over a week, they called me to tell me that the part is unavailable na daw!!
They'd pay me some sort of compensation if I can still find the receipt.  The problem is I can't find it anymore.

Basura na agad ang 2 yr old Samsung HDTV? :(

Offline seymorebutts

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: Oct 26, 2010 at 05:58 AM »
i have the same unit, will be 3 years in january, hopefully hindi magkaroon ng issue.

my mom and bro also has samsung lcd tv's, ito yung mga unang labas na lcdtv ng samsung, they experienced the same problem which is busted power supply, total cost of repair outside service center was around 800pesos, pag sa service center mga 1.5k ata, and it happened after 5 years of use

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 01:19 AM »
swerte nyo.. i don't think the quality is the same as before.. lahat ng nabasa kong sirang lcd eh samsung related.. :(

Offline hajji

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2010 at 02:04 PM »
We have two 42" Toshiba REGZA LCD TV one is AV600E(new one) the other i forgot the model. we are using this LCD TV as Infrastructure monitoring screen for Nagios in 24x7, yung luma namin ayus na ayus parin at hindi pa naka tikim ng service ito.

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 03:20 AM »
Finally found the receipt from Home Theatre.
I'll call them tomorrow.
Let's see how their after sales customer service is.
Will it be above/meet/below expectations..

Will keep you guys posted re my experience. :)

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 09:07 AM »
Forwarded a scanned image of the receipt to Samsung Ortigas/GH.
They forwarded it to Samsung Phils last Wednesday.

Crossing my fingers that they could still change my bad customer experience.
I couldn't believe that my 2 yr old Samsung LA32R81B (higher than most LCD models at the time) would just fail considering that I rarely turn it on.  (about 3 hrs per week due to my hectic work sched).

What's worse is that they notified me that there's no more part for my LCD.

I bought it at about P34k-P35k 2 yrs ago. :(
Exclusively connected to an Omni 1000VA AVR / Surge Protector since day 1.

Let's see if Samsung Phils can turn around my bad customer experience.
I've been a loyal Samsung customer pa naman previously.

I'll keep you guys posted. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2010 at 09:11 AM by TimSavvy »

Offline Brabham

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 16, 2010 at 12:21 AM »
Boss what happened sa issue mo any updates?
hehehe sinusubaybayan ko to kasi my mom experienced same bad service from samsung.

Offline nibblerizer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 20, 2011 at 11:52 PM »
Any update? Just experienced the same problem with the same model after 3.5 years of use.