Author Topic: Hd sound formats  (Read 18812 times)

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: Hd sound formats
« Reply #90 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 02:16 PM »
pro logic- simulated surround using info from front channels (not discrete)
DD - discrete - real embedded surround sound

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #91 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM »
A little off topic question:

When I was a kid, my dad always reminds me to drop the volume of mt TV or radio when I switch them off. Hence, I always drop the volume of my TV and HTIB when I do power them out. Do I really need to do that?

Thanks.

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #92 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM »

When I was a kid, my dad always reminds me to drop the volume of mt TV or radio when I switch them off. Hence, I always drop the volume of my TV and HTIB when I do power them out. Do I really need to do that?

Thanks.

I think that's so it won't startle the next person who will use the TV/Radio. My Onkyo 608 has the option of setting a "turn-on" volume which is really convenient.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #93 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM »

Thanks.

This is also my practice, as bro conan said para hindi magulat yung susunod na gagamit. Sadly my kids always forgets kaya ayun lagi ako yung victim ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #94 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM »
I think that's so it won't startle the next person who will use the TV/Radio. My Onkyo 608 has the option of setting a "turn-on" volume which is really convenient.
my older denon 1509 has this option too.  :)
never got the chance to check my previous 508 if it has this option  ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #95 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 10:50 PM »

Thanks.

dangerous part aside from the gulat factor, when the volume is a bit high, turning it on might damage the speaker drivers.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #96 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 09:10 AM »
My Yamaha 767 also has an "Initial Volume" option, which I set to -40dB.  It's a useful feature of the newer receivers.

Another volume-related feature I like is the "Volume Trim" option, which allows you to set volume levels of different sources to more or less equal levels.  
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2011 at 09:16 AM by barrister »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM »
My sound systems don't have those features, so at what volume percentage could I leave them before I turn them off? Will below 50% do?

Thanks!

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM »
My sound systems don't have those features, so at what volume percentage could I leave them before I turn them off? Will below 50% do?

Thanks!

With my older receivers I used to turn them down to absolute minimum volume before turning off, but it's really down to your preference.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #99 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 10:10 AM »
This is also my practice, as bro conan said para hindi magulat yung susunod na gagamit. Sadly my kids always forgets kaya ayun lagi ako yung victim ;D

Do this too,

Better to be safe than sorry ;)
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 10:10 AM »
With my older receivers I used to turn them down to absolute minimum volume before turning off, but it's really down to your preference.

Currently, that's what I do! I turn them down to 0.

;)

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #101 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM »

Thanks.

I remember this also that we have to set the volume to minimum before we turn off our Sansui Receiver. I remember also seeing a technician demo to my dad the effect of changing channel of the Receiver with high volume. The technician connected parang VU meter that shows the difference between changing channel with high volume and low volume. He was the one also that told my dad to turn volume down before turning it off.  Namamatay kasi receiver namin dati with the red light on. Yung service center ng Sansui dati is sa VV Soliven along Edsa don't know if nandun pa din.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2011 at 12:27 PM by vtec3 »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM »
Great info guys! Guess I really have to continue with "the lowering down the volume" practice.

Anyway...

My wife comitatus is scouting for a sound system (available in Japan), that's an "all in one" to avoid messy cables for my birthday. And she was given this model by a Japan based friend, does anyone know how these things sound?

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/yamaha-ysp-5100/4505-6740_7-33958444.html

Very pricey, but I'm not the one paying for it anyway, just need to know if these things are as good as full blown systems. ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM »
Great info guys! Guess I really have to continue with "the lowering down the volume" practice.

Anyway...

My wife comitatus is scouting for a sound system (available in Japan), that's an "all in one" to avoid messy cables for my birthday. And she was given this model by a Japan based friend, does anyone know how these things sound?

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/yamaha-ysp-5100/4505-6740_7-33958444.html

Very pricey, but I'm not the one paying for it anyway, just need to know if these things are as good as full blown systems. ;D

Those will never equal a full blown 5.1 or 7.1 system.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 03:15 PM »

No, that can never be as good as a regular AV receiver + 5 speakers + subwoofer set-up.  That would be asking for the impossible.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011 at 03:16 PM by barrister »

Offline comitatus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Feb 03, 2011 at 12:40 PM »
hi guys...

i read that the dif between dts-hdma and dolby truehd is a "thing" called dialog normalization. what is this feature or concept? and which audio format uses it?

the articles about dialnorm is too technical for me ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2011 at 12:52 PM by comitatus »
Panny 50C10 and Sammy 40A650

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Feb 03, 2011 at 06:09 PM »
I'll try to explain by example.  It's going to be slightly inaccurate, but at least it's also going to be very easy to understand.

First, you have to know what "normalization" is.

Ever tried listening to a friend's collection of MP3 songs?  You listen to the first song and adjust the volume to a level you like.  Then the 2nd song's volume is too low, so you increase the player's volume to compensate.  But you didn't know that the volume of the 3rd song is too loud, so when that 3rd song plays, you are startled by the overly loud volume.

That MP3 collection needs a program that will set a standard volume level for all songs, so you won't have to reach for the remote to adjust volume for every song.  The process of standardizing volume levels for all tracks is called "Audio Normalization".

The same principle is true for home video.  It's natural for some movie soundtracks to be louder than others, depending on the preferences of the engineers who made the DVD/BD masters.  

To provide a standardized volume level for home video soundtracks, Dolby came up with "Dialnorm", which means "Dialog Normalization".

Dialnorm standardizes audio levels on home video at the production stage by measuring the average dialog level of the input signal, then using a fixed dialog volume level as basis for setting the volume level of the entire soundtrack.

If all audio producers cooperate and use Dolby's approach, users will get the same volume levels across all types of program content, from DVD to BD to all channels of broadcast TV.

As things are now, volume level lang ng TV commercial, hindi pa standardized.  Usually nilalakasan ng TV station ang volume ng TV commecial, para happy yung mga sponsors.

... and which audio format uses it?

Only Dolby has it, since Dialnorm is a proprietary meta-data parameter that only works on the Dolby codec system.

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2011 at 06:19 PM by barrister »

Offline vortex1

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #107 on: Feb 03, 2011 at 06:49 PM »
i'm slowly learning from you guys. thanks.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Feb 03, 2011 at 09:37 PM »
I'll try to explain by example.  It's going to be slightly inaccurate, but at least it's also going to be very easy to understand.

First, you have to know what "normalization" is.

Ever tried listening to a friend's collection of MP3 songs?  You listen to the first song and adjust the volume to a level you like.  Then the 2nd song's volume is too low, so you increase the player's volume to compensate.  But you didn't know that the volume of the 3rd song is too loud, so when that 3rd song plays, you are startled by the overly loud volume.

That MP3 collection needs a program that will set a standard volume level for all songs, so you won't have to reach for the remote to adjust volume for every song.  The process of standardizing volume levels for all tracks is called "Audio Normalization".

The same principle is true for home video.  It's natural for some movie soundtracks to be louder than others, depending on the preferences of the engineers who made the DVD/BD masters.  

To provide a standardized volume level for home video soundtracks, Dolby came up with "Dialnorm", which means "Dialog Normalization".

Dialnorm standardizes audio levels on home video at the production stage by measuring the average dialog level of the input signal, then using a fixed dialog volume level as basis for setting the volume level of the entire soundtrack.

If all audio producers cooperate and use Dolby's approach, users will get the same volume levels across all types of program content, from DVD to BD to all channels of broadcast TV.

As things are now, volume level lang ng TV commercial, hindi pa standardized.  Usually nilalakasan ng TV station ang volume ng TV commecial, para happy yung mga sponsors.

Only Dolby has it, since Dialnorm is a proprietary meta-data parameter that only works on the Dolby codec system.

interesting read bro, thanks barrister.  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline comitatus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Feb 04, 2011 at 02:11 PM »
@barrister

now i understand it! hmmm...does dialnorm now... make the audio better?

thanks that was a very very nice read.
Panny 50C10 and Sammy 40A650

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Feb 04, 2011 at 05:11 PM »
Dialnorm doesn't make the audio better or worse.  All it does is help keep volume levels consistent from program to program.  

« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2011 at 07:15 AM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Feb 13, 2011 at 01:35 PM »

Apparently, folks in the U.S. are also having problems with wildly varying volume levels.  In fact, the U.S. had to pass a law that mandates consistent volume levels for TV commercials:

CALM Act - CALM Promises Less Noise
By Craig Kuhl, Contributing Editor
CedMagazine.com - February 01, 2011

There was a storm of activity in Congress at the end of last year to tone down commercial loudness, but now calm prevails – or CALM does, at least. The Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act was passed and signed into law at the end of the 2010 legislative session.

There’s no shortage of players entering the CALM Act game. From hardware and software manufacturers to content and service providers, the gaggle of entrants are vying for a place at the table to find solutions to cost-efficiently balance commercial and content volumes and determine just who’s responsible for what is growing.

“Commercial loudness probably must be dealt with at the headend, and we’re not sure of the cost implications . We’re also wondering if the broadcasters and cable companies will pressure the advertisers to make the process easier, and what the advertisers will really do,” said Paul Erickson, senior analyst for IMS Research.

http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/2011/02/CALM-promises-less-noise.aspx

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2011 at 01:36 PM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Feb 13, 2011 at 05:53 PM »
Apparently, folks in the U.S. are also having problems with wildly varying volume levels.  In fact, the U.S. had to pass a law that mandates consistent volume levels for TV commercials:

CALM Act - CALM Promises Less Noise
By Craig Kuhl, Contributing Editor
CedMagazine.com - February 01, 2011

There was a storm of activity in Congress at the end of last year to tone down commercial loudness, but now calm prevails – or CALM does, at least. The Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act was passed and signed into law at the end of the 2010 legislative session.

There’s no shortage of players entering the CALM Act game. From hardware and software manufacturers to content and service providers, the gaggle of entrants are vying for a place at the table to find solutions to cost-efficiently balance commercial and content volumes and determine just who’s responsible for what is growing.

“Commercial loudness probably must be dealt with at the headend, and we’re not sure of the cost implications . We’re also wondering if the broadcasters and cable companies will pressure the advertisers to make the process easier, and what the advertisers will really do,” said Paul Erickson, senior analyst for IMS Research.

http://www.cedmagazine.com/articles/2011/02/CALM-promises-less-noise.aspx

sana ganyan din dito sa atin  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Nomer Fernandez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 01:04 PM »
i dont know if this is the right thread to ask this, paki delete na lang kung hindi pede. i just want to ask lang you guys know how to change the audio track of a video file. im asking this because my meady media player is connected to my htib, when i play a video file (MP4) with AAC 5.1 audio, there is no sound, so basically my htib doesnt support AAC format, but when i play a video file (AVI) with AC3 audio, it works well. so i was just wondering if i can change the audio (ACC) to AC3 of a MP4 video file. thanks.

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #114 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 01:19 PM »
A program called Handbrake will do this...

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #115 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 01:32 PM »
i dont know if this is the right thread to ask this, paki delete na lang kung hindi pede. i just want to ask lang you guys know how to change the audio track of a video file. im asking this because my meady media player is connected to my htib, when i play a video file (MP4) with AAC 5.1 audio, there is no sound, so basically my htib doesnt support AAC format, but when i play a video file (AVI) with AC3 audio, it works well. so i was just wondering if i can change the audio (ACC) to AC3 of a MP4 video file. thanks.

Walang bang option yung media player mo to select what audio output? I think yung ibang media player pede output to PCM? Para hindi na magdedecode yung HTIB mo.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline klipsch

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2011 at 08:22 PM »

Fastest way is to convert MP4 to MKV using MkVsource application. It will only take one minute to do that. Then use Popcorn Audio converter to convert the AAC 5.1 to AC3 which will take only around 5 minutes, depends on the power of your workstation ofcourse.