Author Topic: Sari-saring setup...  (Read 148975 times)

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
Good luck and enjoy! What USB cable will you be using? FYI, the headphone out of a Macbook is also digital toslink out.
Thanks Sir Jen. I have an Audioquest Forest optical cable to use on both source/transport.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Good luck and enjoy! What USB cable will you be using? FYI, the headphone out of a Macbook is also digital toslink out.

Si Jen may binebentang napakagandang Music Transport sa MP.. he he he bagay na bagay yun sa Rega DAC mo Master G
Walang Setup

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
Si Jen may binebentang napakagandang Music Transport sa MP.. he he he bagay na bagay yun sa Rega DAC mo Master G
It really does look nice. I need nga lang an optical out, or better yet, akin nalang yung Music Fidelity VLink mo so I can use a USB effectively on the Rega DAC. Hehehe. So far my options to do this without spending 5-digits on the Vlink is using my Macbook or these Music streamers.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2015 at 11:45 PM by sientobente »

Offline deist

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What OS are you using in your MBP sir?

Have you tried Audirvana+?
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2015 at 04:43 PM by deist »

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
Yan deist, guide them to the right path ..........

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:

Hello Sir, both MBPs are running Yosemite. I actually tried out the trial versions of Audirvana Plus 2.0 and Amarra Hifi. Unfortunately, I can't get them to play my FLAC files. Would you happen to know how to get them working?

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Hello Sir, both MBPs are running Yosemite. I actually tried out the trial versions of Audirvana Plus 2.0 and Amarra Hifi. Unfortunately, I can't get them to play my FLAC files. Would you happen to know how to get them working?

Brader maganda naman jriver ah... Jriver din gamit ko.. For pc nga lang..
Walang Setup

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Sir, It doesn't play just the flac files or all types of audio files? What error message are you getting?

Have you tried setting your rega dac as the output device in audio midi setup?

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
Yup idol. Maganda nga and very flexible which is why I paid for it. Most good music players kasi for Mac isn't for free.

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
Sir, It doesn't play just the flac files or all types of audio files? What error message are you getting?

Have you tried setting your rega dac as the output device in audio midi setup?

Just FLAC files sir. All other files I got, like WAV, AIFF, M4A etc. are fine. If I select a FLAC file, it doesn't show any error messages, it just returns back into the GUI without playing the file. It actually has the same behavior like Amarra Hifi wherein both are like plug-ins for iTunes. Also tried the stand alone software from Audirvana, same thing.

I'll go check if I can change the setting under audio midi setup. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015 at 01:19 AM by sientobente »

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
I did an experiment on JRiver (MC20) with 3 different computers:

1. Mid 2010 MacBook Pro w/ hdd
2. Dell core2duo w/ hdd
3. DIY desktop PC i7 w/ sdd

JRiver sounds best in #3, followed by number 2 & last is the MBP. JRiver still sounds best using windows OS.

For MAC, I have tried Audirvana+, Amarra, Pure Music, Cog & Fidelia. Best sounding is Amarra Symphony but the GUI & structure is a decade behind compared to the other players. Next best is Audirvana+, with proper tweaking it can go toe to toe with Amarra.

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:

Hmmm...haven't encountered that before...Just use the stand alone player sir para mas concentrated ang resources sa engine ng player because there's no need to interact with iTunes.

Just FLAC files sir. All other files I got, like WAV, AIFF, M4A etc. are fine. If I select a FLAC file, it doesn't show any error messages, it just returns back into the GUI without playing the file. It actually has the same behavior like Amarra Hifi wherein both are like plug-ins for iTunes. Also tried the stand alone software from Audirvana, same thing.

I'll go check if I can change the setting under audio midi setup. Thanks.

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
I did an experiment on JRiver (MC20) with 3 different computers:

1. Mid 2010 MacBook Pro w/ hdd
2. Dell core2duo w/ hdd
3. DIY desktop PC i7 w/ sdd

JRiver sounds best in #3, followed by number 2 & last is the MBP. JRiver still sounds best using windows OS.

For MAC, I have tried Audirvana+, Amarra, Pure Music, Cog & Fidelia. Best sounding is Amarra Symphony but the GUI & structure is a decade behind compared to the other players. Next best is Audirvana+, with proper tweaking it can go toe to toe with Amarra.

I agree. Mac OS is still far from beating PC in terms of music. The first thing I noticed is how lower the noise floor is on a PC vs MAC. I'd still rate my PC/Musiland/PSB as more "hifi" sounding than my Mac/Rega/Sonus Faber setup. :)

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
Hmmm...haven't encountered that before...Just use the stand alone player sir para mas concentrated ang resources sa engine ng player because there's no need to interact with iTunes.

Got it Sir. Probably, it is because I am just using the trial version. Kinda hesitant to pay for it because it might not work in the end. Audirvana is actually like 50% more expensive than JRiver.

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Don't give up on your Mac just yet sir, once you get the hang of Audirvana+ ma-enjoy mo rin yan.  It's the most preferred audiophile player for macs. One good thing about Audirvana is it gets updated about twice or at least once a year & these updates are free. You just need to buy the license one time.

Btw, my suggestion is go for the Vlink to get the most out of your rega dac. Damien Plesson, the developer of Audirvana said that the optical out of an MBP is very prone to jitter, so his recommendation is Asynchronous USB or spdif.

I agree. Mac OS is still far from beating PC in terms of music. The first thing I noticed is how lower the noise floor is on a PC vs MAC. I'd still rate my PC/Musiland/PSB as more "hifi" sounding than my Mac/Rega/Sonus Faber setup. :)
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015 at 01:53 AM by deist »

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
If your MBP serves as your dedicated music player I suggest the following:

1. Wipe clean the hard drive & reinstall Yosemite. Install Audirvana+ and don't add any other apps or software.

2. Music files should not be on the same hd as your OS, they should be on a NAS or external hd, one with its own power supply is preferred.

3. Disable wifi connection & notification alerts entirely or at least when listening to music.

4. Upgrade your hdd to ssd.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015 at 02:03 AM by deist »

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
Don't give up on your Mac just yet sir, once you get the hang of Audirvana+ ma-enjoy mo rin yan.  It's the most preferred audiophile player for macs. One good thing about Audirvana is it gets updated about twice or at least once a year & these updates are free. You just need to buy the license one time.

Btw, my suggestion is go for the Vlink to get the most out of your rega dac. Damien Plesson, the developer of Audirvana said that the optical out of an MBP is very prone to jitter, so his recommendation is Asynchronous USB or spdif.

That is true Sir. Ayaw lang po ipamigay ni Boss Jason/Courage yung Vlink niya sa akin. ;) Probably I need to find a way to import one from abroad.

Regarding the SPDIF/Coax on Rega, as per the designer, Terry Bateman, the Rega DAC has it's own reclocking mechanism to reduce jitter. It is kinda like it's own technology similar to an asynchronous usb but on a different interface. I guess, they had this DAC with Mac in mind.

I'll follow your advice sir in running Audirvana. I'll also do a comparo since JRiver does have this feature that closes all the background programs, allocate the necessary memory and what not to optimize the software.

By the way, do you use a tablet-based remote for it? The iOS native remote for iTunes does not seem to work on the standalone player.  :(

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
That is true Sir. Ayaw lang po ipamigay ni Boss Jason/Courage yung Vlink niya sa akin. ;) Probably I need to find a way to import one from abroad.

Regarding the SPDIF/Coax on Rega, as per the designer, Terry Bateman, the Rega DAC has it's own reclocking mechanism to reduce jitter. It is kinda like it's own technology similar to an asynchronous usb but on a different interface. I guess, they had this DAC with Mac in mind.

I'll follow your advice sir in running Audirvana. I'll also do a comparo since JRiver does have this feature that closes all the background programs, allocate the necessary memory and what not to optimize the software.

By the way, do you use a tablet-based remote for it? The iOS native remote for iTunes does not seem to work on the standalone player.  :(

Gusto mo bilhin brader?
Walang Setup

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
Gusto mo bilhin brader?
PM sent idol.

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
The Vlink is a good investment in your case since your Rega Dac will need it, so whether you stay with your MBP or move on to a PC, the spdif-USB converter is still essential to maximize the DAC.

For me mas comprehensive ang "hog mode" or "exclusive mode" ng Audirvana+ compared to Jriver on MAC. Mas marami rin tweaks ang A+. The upsampling on A+ is using IZOTOPE, a recording industry standard software. You can play with the settings under the Audio Filter tab, changing the values result in a change in sound  ;)

Re tablet/phone remote software, I don't use them anymore. I did before but I forgot the name. I like listening to an entire album so the need to stand up and to change music in my case is seldom.

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015 at 11:40 AM by deist »

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
iOS remote controller  - JRemote for JRiver

An alternative to vLink is iFi iLink.  It's available in stores selling iFi products such as Listening Room.  I am using iFi iLink with my older Dacs with no USB input. It's a good converter and it's better than the vLink as I have read in forums way back.

I am using JRiver for Windows platform and happy with it.  Combining the Jriver with Windows server 2012 and Audiophile Optimizer is a winning combo!
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015 at 11:43 AM by JoeyGS »

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Yes, isang very good option nga pala yang iLink.

Your case is different sir Joey, here we're talking about almost abandoned & dated MACs while you are using a dedicated fanless audio PC with all the audiophile tweaks  ;)  >:D O0

An alternative to vLink is iFi iLink.  It's available in stores selling iFi products such as Listening Room.  I am using iFi iLink with my older Dacs with no USB input. It's a good converter and it's better than the vLink as I have read in forums way back.

I am using JRiver for Windows platform and happy with it.  Combining the Jriver with Windows server 2012 and Audiophile Optimizer is a winning combo!

Offline jh@meeh

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
I've used Jriver from 18 to 20. Then i tried HQPlayer by Miska for Windows PC. It lacks the GUI Jriver is boasting, but if you want a very high quality sound, please try HQPlayer. Free trial for a month.

http://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015 at 12:23 PM by jh@meeh »
LG OLED
Kef Reference
Denon Receiver
Power Sound Audio
JL Fathoms

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
I've read about this in computeraudiophile, good feedback so far. Will try this out later tonight. thanks!

I've used Jriver from 18 to 20. Then i tried HQPlayer by Miska for Windows PC. It lacks the GUI Jriver is boasting, but if you want a very high quality sound, please try HQPlayer. Free trial for a month.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

May remote app ba to for Android or IOS?
Walang Setup

Offline jh@meeh

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
^ wala pa ata brader remote app ang hqplayer. Pero merong front end gui na "Muso" from musoware. Pwedeng gamitin together with hqplayer kasi hindi advance GUI ng hqplayer. Muso will become your gui and hqplayer is the player. Check ko pa kung may remote app ang Muso.

http://klarita.net/muso.html

Edit: pwede palang gamitin ang smartphone for remote by using the phone's browser and typing the ip address of the software
192.168.0.21:5555
192.168.178.21:5555
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015 at 03:59 PM by jh@meeh »
LG OLED
Kef Reference
Denon Receiver
Power Sound Audio
JL Fathoms

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
The Vlink is a good investment in your case since your Rega Dac will need it, so whether you stay with your MBP or move on to a PC, the spdif-USB converter is still essential to maximize the DAC.

For me mas comprehensive ang "hog mode" or "exclusive mode" ng Audirvana+ compared to Jriver on MAC. Mas marami rin tweaks ang A+. The upsampling on A+ is using IZOTOPE, a recording industry standard software. You can play with the settings under the Audio Filter tab, changing the values result in a change in sound  ;)

Re tablet/phone remote software, I don't use them anymore. I did before but I forgot the name. I like listening to an entire album so the need to stand up and to change music in my case is seldom.

Was reading more into these converters. My first impression was adding another device into the signal chain might degrade the quality, but it looks like I was wrong. These converters like the Vlink adds asynchronous capability into the data clocking while adding galvanic isolation into spdif. Which surely explains why reviews are raving about these converters. Definitely, I agree, it's a good investment for Computer Audio!

I'll have more time to explore Audirvana tomorrow. Can't wait ;)

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:

Thanks for the advice on iFi Sir Joey, will definitely consider that.

For Windows, unfortunately, I only bought the JRiver license for Mac, I currently use a free software for PC which is Foobar. It does not have the GUI savvy-ness of JRiver but it gets the job done. Plus it is for free.

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:

Wow, will take a look at that. Looks like they have one too for Mac. Nicey! Thanks for sharing idol ;)

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Tried HQPlayer on my MBP last night. Here are some of my initial observations:

1. GUI is so-so, you need an add-on app to compensate.

2. The installation was pretty quick & syncing 400gb of music files took about 10mins only. Take time to read the .pdf manual, I had issues with playing songs the first time I tried but with some tinkering in the settings it was resolved right away.

3. The demo/trial version automatically shuts off after 30mins so you have to restart the app again. No worries as all settings from previous session are retained.

4. The program loads quickly when you click the icon, same with the songs when choosing from your library. No spinning wheel or whatever icon that indicates the files are loading.

5. Under the device settings you will see a lot of items you can tinker with, it's a feast for those who like to experiment to get the sound they want.

6. Without changing the default settings I played a very familiar track and right away I noticed clear separation in details & a wide sound stage. This player sounds really good.

7. Navigating through the various filters & drop down option in settings I can say that this app was designed & developed with DSD in mind.