Author Topic: Is DVD dead or dying locally?  (Read 55242 times)

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is DVD dead or dying locally?
« on: Apr 10, 2011 at 09:24 PM »
Anyone still buys DVDs regularly?  Whereas before, this forum used to be so lively about new releases and discussion of 'sales' and other promos, nowadays, nobody seems to care anymore...  It';s already April 2011, and we just got two pages of new releases, and save for Mr.Hankey and me, no one seems to be reporting new sightings of noteworthy DVD releases...

Even the distributors seems to have slowed down releases, with Viva releasing more DVD5s than DVD9s. And whereas before, Viva used to be so prompt in releasing Disney titles, now it's takes forever.  Bambi was released a month late (and without the traditional slipcase for the first batch), Tangled is still tangled somewhere, Alice in Wonderland Bluray also is a month late (Bambi Bluray is still MIA).  Tron lang yata ang on time.

Even Magnavision is tardy in releasing Megamind.  Ngayon lang, when it's out a month or more in the US.

Has NMT really dealt DVD a fatal blow?  Or is it the distributors themselves who did the damage by pricing their DVD absurdly high on release and then discounting it so heavily after a few months that lead to buyer's remorse?  And finally, will Bluray ever catch on here given that VCD pa rin yata mabenta even if DVD is mature (or is it passe) format...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Is DVD dead or dying locally?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM »
Honestly, I feel the format is on its last year. And this is ME, perhaps the most devout DVD fanatic on this site.

I can honestly say I don't buy DVDs regularly anymore. Nowadays, if I've seen it in theaters, that's good enough for me - not worth the storage space for most movies. I'll do the occasional pre-order to complete a set (like Harry Potter 7a), but if not, I wait for the DVD to go on sale... IF I buy it at all.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2378
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM »
For the past couple of days, I cleaned up my dvds, its cabinet, and put a silica gel on each one of them. ;D I  really miss those days where I will go crazy over a sale like driving to podium or any other astro on the first day of the sale. I still love my dvds especially those catalogs and sometimes have an urge to buy. However, I haven't bought any dvds from Astro since I went blu-ray and bought an nmt player. I only bought a few concert dvds. It just doesn't make sense to buy dvds especially on new releases when you want it in blu-ray nalang or can download it and watch it thru your nmt.

Storage space is another issue for me. Can you believe after my inventory cleaning this weekend I can only buy probably less than a hundred blurays bec. of my limited storage space. I want to sell off my dvds but they are probably worth 100 pesos or less. I might as well keep it. Imagine doing meetups or shipping for one title worth 100 pesos ;D. Imo its not worth it. Eh kung meron problem pa like skipping. Hay the hassle for that. ;D This is when hard drive comes in. One drive 250 to 300 movies.

Imo, nmt really killed the dvd market here and it is on its way to kill blu-ray too. Blu-rays are way overpriced here. I think most of us just order from amazon or buy from the sellers here. But there are some deals/advance releases in blu-ray that sometimes pop up in Astro. Those are the ones I buy and of course if I just can't wait for the shipping in amazon.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011 at 10:34 PM by Moks007 »

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 11:02 PM »
For me, when I see a title going for 99 that I got for 999, I feel like a sucker, especially when that title is still sealed in my closet.  That's the thought that stop my addiction.   

NMTs are not as big as factor for me, since I like subtitles, and commentaries normally absent from downloads.   

Another thought that I had, is that while I detest piracy, do my money really go to support the filmmakers?  Yes, probably if its local cinema.  But for international movies, I feel that out of my 999, maybe less than 50 goes to the license, since they could eventually sell it cheap for 99.   I feel the high prices is what prevented DVD from overcoming VCDs and now it's too late in the game to change habits.   The cycle is repearing with Blurays, but with us in the same region as US, that might prevent studios from allowing cheap pricing here...

Offline Hero33

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 11:56 PM »

DVD died when they decided to have no consistency with the video file they use. Pay original price, yet you're not sure if you're going to get crap or high quality video.

Case in point, my Austin Powers set bought in the US compared to a local release. lots of missing extras and shoddy movie quality.

I get disappointed whenever I buy a DVD and it comes with all those anti-piracy screen, and leaves me with a low-res movie haha

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2378
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 06:13 AM »
For me, when I see a title going for 99 that I got for 999, I feel like a sucker, especially when that title is still sealed in my closet.  That's the thought that stop my addiction.  

NMTs are not as big as factor for me, since I like subtitles, and commentaries normally absent from downloads.  

Another thought that I had, is that while I detest piracy, do my money really go to support the filmmakers?  Yes, probably if its local cinema.  But for international movies, I feel that out of my 999, maybe less than 50 goes to the license, since they could eventually sell it cheap for 99.   I feel the high prices is what prevented DVD from overcoming VCDs and now it's too late in the game to change habits.   The cycle is repearing with Blurays, but with us in the same region as US, that might prevent studios from allowing cheap pricing here...

Yes I agree, the pricing makes us look like suckers. When I cleaned up my dvd library, I still have some sealed and can't believe I bought it at that price before. The worst part is I also bought that on blu-ray. I think the retail stores or the distributors are just taking loss and trying to sell their inventory off bec. nobody is really buying. They are trying to squeeze every profit in the beginning and they will just take loss after a couple months gathering dust in store shelves. This could be the reason or it may not.

Locally, for me nmt is a big factor. Imo, there are maybe only 10 the most 15 percent of the population (in the Phils) that are like you that want subtitles and commentaries. Actually you can get subtitle na on 95% of the downloaded movies. There is a way to do it. It just doesn't have commentaries and special features. Imo, this is the reason people just tend to be more picky buying movies after all of this nmt stuff. Of course meron effect where dbds, dbds are available out there for 50 to 60 pesos.. ;D Actually, I asked the salesman in infomax MOA regarding their recent sale on their blu-ray titles. The guy said "kasi lahat naka ganun na eh (pointing to me an nmt player)..Why watch standard def when you can watch hidef. It is cheaper than buying optical disc. That is what the majority are doing imo. I really like physical media, and I think its offers the best for both video and audio. But the majority of the population think downloads are good enough or just can't see or hear a difference versus the original.

Here is an article on loss leadering.

Loss-Leadering Coming to Blu-ray Disc
17 Nov, 2009 By: Thomas K. Arnold

My, my, how times have changed. Studio executives used to cringe at newly released theatrical DVDs selling for below $15 their first week in stores, generally at big discount chains like Wal-Mart and Target. The mass merchants were using DVDs as loss leaders to drive traffic into their stores, devaluing the product in the consumer's eyes and later coming back to the studios and complaining about margins. Studio executives were reluctant to lower wholesale prices, even though that's what their big retail customers wanted, and all of a sudden that taboo word that's not supposed to be discussed in public — pricing — was on everyone's tongues.

Now, we're finding loss-leader pricing has come to Blu-ray, a year before anyone expected it to. Wal-Mart and several other mass merchants are advertising, and selling, hot new Blu-ray Disc releases for less than $20 — and this, mind you, is before Black Friday, when we traditionally see the lowest prices all year for everything from digital cameras and computers to kitchen sinks (I mean that literally).

Studio executives, frankly, don't know what to think. They're stunned to see it happening so soon, and worried that in the future not only will their visions of incremental profits fade away faster than those visions of sugarplums we keep hearing about each Christmas, but that retailers will start pressuring them for lower wholesale prices and, before you know it, Blu-ray Disc will suffer the same price erosion that plagued DVD within several years of that format's launch — something studio executives have vowed to not let happen again.

While I was among those decrying the race to the bottom in DVD pricing, in this case I'm singing a different song. With apologies to the Beatles, "Let It Be." Given the economy and the slump in DVD sales, we had better do something quick to pick up the slack and take Blu-ray Disc to the masses — and there's nothing better than making the format affordable to everyone, particularly when low-end Blu-ray Disc players are expected to sell for as little as $75 come Black Friday and even final-spec players should be available in the low $100s.

If you think about it, the fact that Wal-Mart and the other mass merchants are using Blu-ray Discs as loss leaders is a tremendous vote of confidence in the format. It means they believe Blu-ray Discs are hot enough to lure people into their stores, as long as the prices aren't out of whack with what they're used to paying for DVDs.

Sure, down the road we might moan and groan about "leaving money on the table" (one of Hollywood's favorite laments), but in this economy, when more and more people are going back to their old habit of renting movies instead of buying them, we need to do something, anything, to get people back in the habit of buying and collecting movies and TV shows.

Let's worry about the potential fallout later. If we don't get Blu-ray Disc to the masses now, regardless of the price, there might not be a later.

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011 at 08:23 AM by Moks007 »

Offline Kd Jb

• Trade Count: (+113)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 06:34 AM »

I used to buy R3 dvd's before sa astro but after realizing how superior the packaging and contents of its counterpart R1 dvd are, I only buy the R1 dvd's. Sobrang pangit na nga ng packaging ng local dvd's ang mahal pa ng price. I cant even remember the last time i bought a dvd locally.I still buy R1 dvd's but only those with a lot of special features, ngayon kc if you want to get all the extras u go for bluray, iilang features na lang iniiwan sa dvd. Minsan mas mura pa nga bluray kesa sa dvd. I guess its their way of forcing us to go Blu.

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 08:27 AM »
The urge to buy DVDs have already died down on me. Haven't bought a single DVD this year so far.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011 at 08:27 AM by boybi »

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 08:32 AM »
I used to buy DVD's devoutly before but now I usually just wait for the price to mark down.
php750 for a brand new title is ridiculous.

I still buy DVD's but not as much as before.

If the local distributors really wanted the DVD to catch on they should have stopped releasing titles on VCD 5 years ago. Now, it's kinda late already if they decide to do that.

Also, I do not think Blu-ray is a big factor of the DVD's declining sales. It's really digital downloads.

Offline mrclark

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • A PinoyDVD reader
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM »
Plus DVDs with 2 discs Special Editions is not special anymore.. doesn't have the complete special features as its Blu-ray counterpart...eg. Inception.
wala na talagang kagana-gana..
mahal pa rin Blu-ray HTIBs, and the blu-ray titles.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM »
I used to buy DVD's devoutly before but now I usually just wait for the price to mark down.
php750 for a brand new title is ridiculous.

I still buy DVD's but not as much as before.

If the local distributors really wanted the DVD to catch on they should have stopped releasing titles on VCD 5 years ago. Now, it's kinda late already if they decide to do that.

Also, I do not think Blu-ray is a big factor of the DVD's declining sales. It's really digital downloads.

Agree. Local BDs are still incredibly expensive to have an effect. They're at the same price point DVDs were over 13-15 years ago.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM by Dan »

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM »
I would be very happy if they put all the Filipino movie classics on DVD.  I would certainly buy as much as
I can and not resort to copying/downloading just to support the industry.

Offline Prometheus75

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM »
I'll probably get jumped for this, but the first time I sat through a pirated DVD of Black Hack Down that was copied from a BD master, was when I finally and officially left the DVD bandwagon. Incidentally, this was also the time when a lot of foreign titles on DVD already started getting produced locally - you know, with their cheap-ass packaging, scant additional features (if any), and downright horrible resolution.

So you could imagine my disenchantment at having watched a pirated DVD worth P75 (at the time) with much better quality than a P750 title from Astrovision.

And then HD movies came along and swept me off my feet ;D
Going 3D, at last! (And I don't care it it's a fad.)

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM »
Not only with PDVD that the discussion is dying, even the international communities like The Import Forums. Local BD's at P999 and some Viva at P500 still ain't moving. I haven't bought a DVD at SRP for the past 2-3 yrs. One big factor is also the watch on line by streaming, aside from the NMT's.

U.S. stores like TARGET, Wal-Mart and Best Buy hardly release exclusives anymore.  :(

Offline Prometheus75

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM »
I would be very happy if they put all the Filipino movie classics on DVD.  I would certainly buy as much as

I was able to buy a DVD copy of "Bona" - the one with that powerful scene of a pissed-off La Aunor dousing Philip Salvador's douchebag bit player character with boiling water - from Astrovision last year. Happy as I am that I'm finally able to rewatch one of my most memorable movie scenes from my childhood years (yes, childhoold years. And on network TV, IBC 13, no less) at my leisure, the audio and video quality, unfortunately, left much to be desired.

Seriously, it was as if some guy sat in front of a TV and just taped the whole thing :'(
Going 3D, at last! (And I don't care it it's a fad.)

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2119
« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM »
I still do buy DVDs (regardless of orig, brand new, used, burn copies, jack sparrows)! Heck I considered myself a movie buff / lover. My urge hasn't stopped since I discovered betamax (then VHS, laser disc, and dvd), and my DVD collection is just filling up my house now!
Just like techdude here, i am not yet an NMT guy since I like subtitles, and commentaries normally absent from downloads. Ayoko din ng ngahihintay mag download. Also, DVD you can collect and display like a normal library and I like the physicality of it, the artwork and all. I will dive into NMT's pag bumilis na at dumali ang downloading.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #16 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM »
i am not yet an NMT guy since I like subtitles, and commentaries normally absent from downloads. Ayoko din ng ngahihintay mag download. Also, DVD you can collect and display like a normal library and I like the physicality of it, the artwork and all. I will dive into NMT's pag bumilis na at dumali ang downloading.

Its pretty easy to install a subtitle to a file sir, and you have different language choices as well,...  ;)
Like you sir, I like my movies with subtitles, kaya nung isang araw na wala ako ginagawa ay lahat ng movies ko ay nilagyan ko ng *.srt file, and album art, kaya my collection of movies has both subtitles and album art.

In my opinion, matatagalan pa yan bago matodas ang DVD, mas maraming household pa rin here and in abroad na DVD ang standard nila sa movies, hindi pa naman lahat ay naka-BD na, mukha ngang mauuna pang matodas ang BD kung hindi nila babaguhin ang pricing nila. My wife rents DVD via Red Box sa US, its around $1 per title, she rents DVDs coz she is not that tech savvy para mapagana ang Netflix or NMT, and that goes sa ibang kaibigan daw nya duon, pansinin nyo din ang mga video shops natin dito, meron pa ngang VCD lang din ang ginagamit, hindi pa basta mawawala yan... Cheers,..!
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM by ABCmotorparts »

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM »
Agree. Local BDs are still incredibly expensive to have an effect. They're at the same price point DVDs were over 13-15 years ago.
I would disagree. As late as 2000-2001 I remember DVDs selling for over 1 thou.

Today, you can buy Blu-rays for half that price. From stores even (Astrovision has a 50% sale).

But I agree that BD's aren't causing the 'death' of DVD. Personally, I buy BD's of high-quality, 'collectible' movies.

For everything else (popcorn movies or movies only worth watching once), 720/1080p mkv is fine. Better quality than most DVDs. Can easily be stored, searched, organized, transferred, backed-up, format-shifted. No annoying previews or warnings that can't be skipped.

In other words, a totally better user experience at a price the MAFIAA/media dinosaurs can't beat.

Edit: Sorry, typo. I meant aren't
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011 at 01:39 PM by alistair »

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM »
in my case, it's blu ray that killed my interest. what's the use of collecting all those titles only to have the format you support be usurped by the newest kid on the block.  if i upgrade to blu, chances are in a few years meron na namang bagong format, and then the cycle begins again.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #19 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 01:13 PM »
I would disagree. As late as 2000-2001 I remember DVDs selling for over 1 thou.

Today, you can buy Blu-rays for half that price. From stores even (Astrovision has a 50% sale).

But I agree that BD's are causing the 'death' of DVD. Personally, I buy BD's of high-quality, 'collectible' movies.

Everything else (popcorn movies or movies worth watching once), 720/1080p mkv is fine. Better quality than some DVDs. Can easily be stored, searched, organized, transferred, backed-up, format-shifted. No annoying previews or warnings that can't be skipped.

In other words, a totally better user experience at a price the MAFIAA/media dinosaurs can't beat.

Blu-rays for P500 at Astro? Yeah, you're right. But some of those titles suck  ;D

My comparison was with DVDs like Jurrasic Park which sold for P1,200 at Astro in 2001. Two or three years prior, that same DVD and others like it were at the P2,000 price range.

Some of the more prominent blu-rays sold at Astro now is at P1,500 to P1,700 -- like the Watchmen (Theatrical Cut) and Tron Blu-Rays. There are discount sales now, yes, but economic conditions were different in 1998. I'm just saying that they're following a similar pattern.

In a few years, maybe even months, we may see a drastic reduction in prices for both DVDs and BDs.

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011 at 01:17 PM by Dan »

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2119
« Reply #20 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 02:28 PM »
Dati nga sir, ok naman ako sa quality ng VHS, then Laser disc came - ok na ok. Lalo na ang DVD - super ok sa linaw 5.1 plus maganda i-kolecta. Nagulat ako dahil naglabas ng blu ray - meron pa palang mas malinaw. I am sure meron pa din lilitaw in the future like of course 3D blu ray, etc (virtual movies na!). Walang katapusan.

@ ABC motorparts, mukhang nawawalan na ako ng dahilan not to get an NMT, hehehe...

in my case, it's blu ray that killed my interest. what's the use of collecting all those titles only to have the format you support be usurped by the newest kid on the block.  if i upgrade to blu, chances are in a few years meron na namang bagong format, and then the cycle begins again.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 04:11 PM »
dvd is dead,benta nyo na mga dvd's nyo @ 100 each.pls pm me the titles  ;D

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #22 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 05:31 PM »
One of these years, I believe that selling movies in a physical media (DVD or blu-ray) will be considered a niche market - only to those collectors  who like special features as commentaries, making-of features, interviews, subtitles.

The general public will watch in movie houses  or watch digital or downloaded content.

Pero, as far as the Philippines is concerned, matagal pa yun:

1. internet access in the Philippines is limited to a few and it's slow;
2. an NMT + hard drive costs a lot of money, more than the price of a movie ticket, a dibidi or a genuine DVD.

The problem with the Philippine DVD market is that it is a limited market. There are only a few who buy original DVDs, much less blu-rays (at least vis a vis the general population). And, unfortunately, for Astro et al, these "limited market" have money to buy NMTs, get fast internet connection etc. So the very little market that distributors have is gone. To make money, they are coming out with crappy R3s which the limited market doesn't buy, of course.

The end result: a vicious cycle leading to the demise of the DVD industry here. Us enthusiasts will go back to the dark ages when you couldn't buy DVDs here even if you wanted to, for lack of available titles.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 08:41 PM »
RE: Subtitles, sometimes the .srt don't match, sometimes 'Engrish' kasi, lalo na pag more obscure titles. 

I am just thinking, used to be we buy CDs to hear music, then mp3 comes along...   Movies are much larger, so not as prone to piracy UNTIL broadband, mkv (format), and huge terabyte hard drives that cost as little as a couple of blurays.

Still, I think if distributors want to entice buyers to buy, they should include premium items with first batch ( since you are paying so much), kaya lang kabaliktaran ngayon, iyung dating slipcased na Disney, ngayon bare na, no lenticular packaging, no 3D packaging, and lame items packed-in (carboard standee for Megamind, and CHEAP yoyo for Tron?), nasaan na iyung mga giftsets and LE (Ironman Mask, Transformers 'transforming' case, 300 helmet, etc.).   Iyung super limited na Aliens Anthology Bluray and Sound of Music giftset are great items from Viva, but then parang nag-slowdown, Will Voyage of the Dawn Threader get a special case?  You should see the R1 packaging, wow!  That would entice people who are still into collecting to buy DVDs/Bluray, because otherwise, people would just watch on NMTs...

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #24 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 10:47 PM »
anyone interested in selling off your r1 copies kindly contact me.  ;)

Offline TOP 20

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • Turn, Turn, Turn
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM »
The urge to buy DVDs have already died down on me. Haven't bought a single DVD this year so far.

+1
Ecclesiastes 3:1-9
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 12, 2011 at 02:52 AM »

i agree! i'm more into collecting pinoy titles now and some rare independent titles abroad. not much into hollywood films unless they're really good and i like them a lot.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Veedax88

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 12, 2011 at 03:59 AM »
Technically the answer is No. But if you're talking if the DVD BUSINESS is dying, take note, THE BUSINESS, then it is dying. This is a natural product cycle that as new tech comes in, businesses founded on old tech goes out of business. DVD's and BlueRays are only mediums where data is encoded. I believe the follow-up questions are, when will you stop watching movies in DVD? Are you shifting to BlueRay? When will you stop watching movies in BlueRay? The question goes on as newer technologies take over. It's a matter of time before people start shifting to other mediums such as legit movie downloads or video streaming.

If I may stir up the hornet's nest... check out http://www.veedax.com and test it if it will run in your Internet connection at home. It's a service that is a supplementary service to the DVD and Blue Ray distribution. It will soon have HD quality streams (note: HD quality requires at least a reliable and consistent 2 Mbps subscription) where possible.

Veedax is working with the local Movie Industry to build a sustainable Entertainment Industry from Production, Distribution and Consumption. We intend to increase our movie library as we progress and the library will surely include all your favorite Tagalog movies from the 60's up to the present. We are currently working on in bringing in Foreign Titles as well from all over the world to suite your entertainment needs. Our beta site has currently limited non-commercial titles only for your consumption and testing.

A lot of experts say that the Internet infrastructure in the Philippines is not yet ready for video streaming. Veedax refuses to believe in this thinking. Checkout the service using your existing DSL connection at home and send us your feedback. Why at home and not in the office?
1. We do not encourage watching movies when you are in office? you'll get fired doing that and we don't want to be blamed for that.
2. You will likely enjoy watching at home or at a friends house more than anywhere else. Imagine being able to choose which video to watch and have control over it. Pause, rewind, forward all you want.
3. I designed the service so that it will work on the current Internet infra. More FAQs at http://www.veedax.com/page9/page9.html#1

Come June 8, 2011, we'll open it up to a limited number of paying subscribers. Stay tuned. Legit DVD distributors are free to contact us.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011 at 04:37 AM by Veedax88 »
Instantly watch movies you want, when you want.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 12, 2011 at 09:26 AM »
RE: Subtitles, sometimes the .srt don't match, sometimes 'Engrish' kasi, lalo na pag more obscure titles. 

There are plenty of sites to choose from to find the correct subtitle for the movie,
kadalasan naman ng problema ng sub ay ang pagiging out of sync,
encountered such, pero hanap lang ulit ng ibang version ng subs...

Cheers...

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 12, 2011 at 09:39 AM »

@ ABC motorparts, mukhang nawawalan na ako ng dahilan not to get an NMT, hehehe...

Sir, in all honesty, nung una kasi ay talagang libangan ko ang bumili ng DVD,
minsan sa dami ng titles na nabibili ko ay hindi ko na rin nabubuksan ang ilan,
if my memory is correct, I think 2003 or 2004 pa ay kumukuha na ako ng DVDs
nuon sa US pa, coz wala pa nuon sa local market ang DVD, LD pa ang kasalaukuyang hari nuon,
kaya tagal ng panahon na yun ay nakaipon ako ng napakaraming R1 titles,
napakamahal pa nuon talaga, kaya iniisip ko pa lang ngayon kung gaano na kalaki
ang perang lumabas sa akin nuon ay napapangiti na lang ako, then pumasok na ang R3
titles natin, ngayon lang naman din bumababa ang prices ng R3 titles,
kaya nakaipon na naman ako nyan... Then comes the BD era, this time hindi ako masyado
nagbibili ng titles lalo kapag nakikita ko mga R1 titles ko, then a friend advised me to look at the NMTs,
hesitant pa nga ako nuon coz ang impression ko lang sa mga picture quality nya ay parang yung
video lang ng mga nasa PC (no PUN intended to PC owners and users ha..), I was mistaken...
Nagulat ako sa PQ and AQ nya, kaya laking pasalamat ko sa asawa ko at pinigilan rin nya ako
na magbibili ng BD titles, and sabi ko pa nga nuon, ayaw ko ng NMT kasi nga walang mga subtitles
ang mga files na yan, mali na naman ako, coz upon research, its as easy as  1 2 3 kung paano maglagay
ng subs...

kung ako ang tatanungin, para sa akin DVD is already dead in our house,...

Cheers,..!

ABC