DVD Forum > Region 3

Is DVD dead or dying locally?

(1/39) > >>

techdude:
Anyone still buys DVDs regularly?  Whereas before, this forum used to be so lively about new releases and discussion of 'sales' and other promos, nowadays, nobody seems to care anymore...  It';s already April 2011, and we just got two pages of new releases, and save for Mr.Hankey and me, no one seems to be reporting new sightings of noteworthy DVD releases...

Even the distributors seems to have slowed down releases, with Viva releasing more DVD5s than DVD9s. And whereas before, Viva used to be so prompt in releasing Disney titles, now it's takes forever.  Bambi was released a month late (and without the traditional slipcase for the first batch), Tangled is still tangled somewhere, Alice in Wonderland Bluray also is a month late (Bambi Bluray is still MIA).  Tron lang yata ang on time.

Even Magnavision is tardy in releasing Megamind.  Ngayon lang, when it's out a month or more in the US.

Has NMT really dealt DVD a fatal blow?  Or is it the distributors themselves who did the damage by pricing their DVD absurdly high on release and then discounting it so heavily after a few months that lead to buyer's remorse?  And finally, will Bluray ever catch on here given that VCD pa rin yata mabenta even if DVD is mature (or is it passe) format...

Mr. Hankey:
Honestly, I feel the format is on its last year. And this is ME, perhaps the most devout DVD fanatic on this site.

I can honestly say I don't buy DVDs regularly anymore. Nowadays, if I've seen it in theaters, that's good enough for me - not worth the storage space for most movies. I'll do the occasional pre-order to complete a set (like Harry Potter 7a), but if not, I wait for the DVD to go on sale... IF I buy it at all.

Moks007:
For the past couple of days, I cleaned up my dvds, its cabinet, and put a silica gel on each one of them. ;D I  really miss those days where I will go crazy over a sale like driving to podium or any other astro on the first day of the sale. I still love my dvds especially those catalogs and sometimes have an urge to buy. However, I haven't bought any dvds from Astro since I went blu-ray and bought an nmt player. I only bought a few concert dvds. It just doesn't make sense to buy dvds especially on new releases when you want it in blu-ray nalang or can download it and watch it thru your nmt.

Storage space is another issue for me. Can you believe after my inventory cleaning this weekend I can only buy probably less than a hundred blurays bec. of my limited storage space. I want to sell off my dvds but they are probably worth 100 pesos or less. I might as well keep it. Imagine doing meetups or shipping for one title worth 100 pesos ;D. Imo its not worth it. Eh kung meron problem pa like skipping. Hay the hassle for that. ;D This is when hard drive comes in. One drive 250 to 300 movies.

Imo, nmt really killed the dvd market here and it is on its way to kill blu-ray too. Blu-rays are way overpriced here. I think most of us just order from amazon or buy from the sellers here. But there are some deals/advance releases in blu-ray that sometimes pop up in Astro. Those are the ones I buy and of course if I just can't wait for the shipping in amazon.

techdude:
For me, when I see a title going for 99 that I got for 999, I feel like a sucker, especially when that title is still sealed in my closet.  That's the thought that stop my addiction.   

NMTs are not as big as factor for me, since I like subtitles, and commentaries normally absent from downloads.   

Another thought that I had, is that while I detest piracy, do my money really go to support the filmmakers?  Yes, probably if its local cinema.  But for international movies, I feel that out of my 999, maybe less than 50 goes to the license, since they could eventually sell it cheap for 99.   I feel the high prices is what prevented DVD from overcoming VCDs and now it's too late in the game to change habits.   The cycle is repearing with Blurays, but with us in the same region as US, that might prevent studios from allowing cheap pricing here...

Hero33:

DVD died when they decided to have no consistency with the video file they use. Pay original price, yet you're not sure if you're going to get crap or high quality video.

Case in point, my Austin Powers set bought in the US compared to a local release. lots of missing extras and shoddy movie quality.

I get disappointed whenever I buy a DVD and it comes with all those anti-piracy screen, and leaves me with a low-res movie haha

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version