Offline RitchieNolasco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sanib
« on: May 19, 2003 at 11:06 PM »
Regal Films not surprisingly continues its tradition of scaring the hell out of our fellow countrymen with its trademark movie horror.

Their next movie is called Sanib and it features an all-star cast of mostly Regal-only stars, including Aubrey Miles.

I find this movie interesting. I just hope it fares better than Spirit Warriors 2 (nowhere as good as Spirit Warriors 1) and Singsing Ni Lola.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Sanib
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003 at 06:56 PM »
Good start...Bro Ritchie.  8)

Let's see if it will fare better than most recent horror flicks made by Regal Films.

TIYANAK still tops on my lists of horror movies and Shake Rattle & Roll 2.

Or will they just copy it from The Exorcist?  ???

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:Sanib
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003 at 12:30 AM »
If this movie is truly directed by Celo Ad Castillo, let us see if it outdoes or matches his classic horror Patayin sa Sindak si Barbara....

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
2003 MFF: Sanib a RIP-OFF of The Exorcist
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2003 at 05:52 PM »
Sanib was the first movie I saw today kicking off the MFF this year.

With all the hype and promotion this film got, I was expecting something really good and scary but in the end I got very disappointed.

1. Aubrey Miles' acting is still the same: POOR and WEAK. Her "acting" improved slightly when playing her possessed self but overall she is such a pain to watch on the screen. A beautiful pain that is. As always, Aubrey is better off looking beautiful than trying to be an actress.

2. The film has some jumpy moments but the scary moments are almost zero in number. Even with scenes showing of the evil one, I did not feel scared at all. Despite the use of sound effects, nothing was really scary most of the time.

3. The first 60 minutes of the movie is plain boring! We get to see Aubrey living her daily life, then later getting haunted by her long dead sister and we get to see other characters as well. Most of those characters contribute nothing to the film's value but the exception is Raymond Bagatsing as Father Jesse

4. The last 40 minutes of Sanib got some steam in terms of quality and entetainment but this is because it ripped certain moments from the classic horror flick "The Exorcist":

-As Father Gaspar and Father Jesse arrive at the home of Aubrey's folks (where possessed Aubrey is in), we suddenly hear a loud and evil voice scaring them. That was ripped off from The Exorcist when Father Karras and Father Merrin got into the house and heard the evil voice loudly.

-Bagatsing's Father Jesse is ripped off from Father Karras (weakening faith making him vulnerable to evil) but the difference is that Jesse is guilty of having a son despite his priesthood.

-Possessed Aubrey tries weakening Father Jesse by speaking his dead son's voice and looks (in separate scenes) in an effort to weaken the exorcism. This is a copy of The Exorcist wherein possessed Linda Blair speaks to Father Karras with his dead mother's voice.

5. The cast of characters are not very useful save Raymond Bagatsing's Father Jesse, Father Gaspar (very short though) and Aubrey's parents.

6. The flashback scenes, which explains Aubrey's child character having conflicts with her sister who later died while being trapped in a freezer right in their family home, are simply way too long and way boring to watch. Direk Celso could have cut a few minutes of footage to speed up the pace and still maintain the story telling but no!

7. Some serious moments were deliberately presented as comedy. Like a priest, when asked if he would want to go back to see possessed Aubrey, saying he does not want to go back (yet did not admit scare). Then later we saw a hired man at the house, who left with his bag (he's not returning because he's scared).

And worst of all is the dark scene inside Aubrey's apartment where 1 of her friends walked alone feeling haunted and scared, then freaked out when she just bumped accidentally to another friend.

8. The ending gave a dead giveaway for a sequel: Sanib 2 in the future. In the end, Aubrey is well and normal, she's with Father Jesse, her fiance Leandro and her folks paying their last respects to her long dead sister.

But with them is one woman, a friend, who turned out to be possessed. The camera focused on her and zoomed straight into her evil face right before the screen goes dark.

In short, Sanib is an over-hyped movie that does not deserve real attention. Sanib is best viewed in home video, not the theaters. And in terms of presentation, Sanib lacks polish. By comparison, Sanib lags way behind the scary factor of Spirit Warriors 1 (a horror comedy!).

The only saving grace in Sanib is Raymond Bagatsing's strong performance as Father Jesse. He even had a crying scene plus he is very convincing in his act. Bagatsing deserves to be nominated for his role!

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:2003 MFF: Sanib a RIP-OFF of The Exorcist
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2003 at 07:35 PM »
R Bagatsing is good but that scene where he eschews cheesy emotional dialogue and religious chants to make the spirit of the dead sister go away was plain unbearable. I don't know if Raymond felt for the part or he felt like crying because he had no choice but to deliver  those lines.

Interestingly, that scene of Ana Capri feeling scared in Aubrey's apartment was genuinely good I was hoping she should have portrayed Aubrey's part instead.

Another funny moment that sent the audience howling with laughter is when Orestes Ojeda (as the other priest)  tries to strangle Aubrey Miles....

Offline JaysonLi

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 08:43 AM »
Regal obviously ran out of ideas and had no choice but to rip The Exorcist and adapt ideas for the Pinoy audience and setting.

Aubrey in my opinion really should stop 'acting' on the big screen and just go for sexy photography or modeling instead. But if she should continue being in movies, she better get roles that require no acting at all. Still to date her best appearance is still Prosti (P42.3 million gross).

Celso Ad Castillo really is an incosistent filmmaker. As shown in Sanib, he does not know when to go serious or funny. There are scenes that spark humor when it is not really needed. All the characters are very under-developed despite the 100 minute running time.

Raymond Bagatsing had good scenes acting but, like acyl_halide here said, had some pretty bad scenes. I ended up laughing at Raymond Bagatsing doing the religious chants and the catch is he was doing serious stuff, not comedy!

Speaking of Raymond, I think he can do well in a comedy!

Raymond is quite on a comeback in movies. He was after all, the lead man of Katya Santos in Sukdulan which grossed over P73 million nationwide. His act in that movie is graded A.

Offline JaysonLi

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 08:57 AM »
Sanib has been nominated for Best Film, Best Actress (Aubrey Miles), Best Supporting Actor (Raymond Bagatsing and Joel Torre), Best Child Performer, Best Cinematography, Best Editor, Best Production Design, Best Musical Score, Best Sound and Best Visual Effects.

Any comments?

Offline Zaldo

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 09:24 AM »
R Bagatsing is good but that scene where he eschews cheesy emotional dialogue and religious chants to make the spirit of the dead sister go away was plain unbearable.

Hahaha! Tama ka! Very unbearable and very shameful to watch yung scene ni R Bagatsing!  :) ;D

Offline Zaldo

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 09:41 AM »
Sanib has been nominated for Best Film, Best Actress (Aubrey Miles), Best Supporting Actor (Raymond Bagatsing and Joel Torre), Best Child Performer, Best Cinematography, Best Editor, Best Production Design, Best Musical Score, Best Sound and Best Visual Effects.

Any comments?

I greatly disagree with Aubrey Miles being nominated. Her acting in Sanib is just as terrible as her previous act in Xerex.

She's being over-rated with this nomination. Too bad the awarding body have very limited sightings.

R Bagatsing should win, though he had some few pathetic scenes.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 09:56 AM »
Aubrey does NOT deserve to be nominated! It's awful for her to be nominated.

Anyway, Aubrey will LOSE for sure! Pathetic actresses like her do not deserve honor at all.

Any comments?

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 10:00 AM »
Sanib for Best Film???

Hahaha! A weak movie winning the top honors? Only in Monteverde's dream!

Offline Zaldo

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 04:42 PM »

1. Aubrey Miles' acting is still the same: POOR and WEAK. Her "acting" improved slightly when playing her possessed self but overall she is such a pain to watch on the screen. A beautiful pain that is. As always, Aubrey is better off looking beautiful than trying to be an actress.

I greatly agree with you on this.

It is quite an embarrassment that Sanib is spearheaded with Aubrey's name on top.

I think it should be R Bagatsing's name on top.

And if Aubrey is reading this: You can never outperform Linda Blair's possessed girl role, even if you do great research on "The Exorcist".

Offline Zaldo

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 05:27 PM »

8. The ending gave a dead giveaway for a sequel: Sanib 2 in the future. In the end, Aubrey is well and normal, she's with Father Jesse, her fiance Leandro and her folks paying their last respects to her long dead sister.

But with them is one woman, a friend, who turned out to be possessed. The camera focused on her and zoomed straight into her evil face right before the screen goes dark.

This one really pissed me off and this is also one of the worst ways to show that a sequel was coming.

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2003 at 06:18 PM »
I was never able to take this movie seriously....early on in the movie it tries its darndest best to scare the wits out of the audience but the thrills don't appear even after the credits...

The teeners sitting behind me are of no help...They give blow by blow comments on the movies and in the instances that the sequence obviously tries to scare us they act as if they were thrilled...it was so hilarious...

Comments include:

Ay, bakit parang tabingi yung boobs ni Aubrey

Kung ikaw ba naman makulong sa freezer, talagang puputi ka ng ganyan

There are so many scenes which could be deleted like the conversation with friend in the car...after that scene the friend doesnt appear anymore throughout the movie...

When the glass breaks during dinner, the family does not react like it is something so normal

Or how relevant was that scene where the priest gets burned.....

Offline JaysonLi

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2003 at 08:11 AM »
This movie is grossing 2nd overall based on the box-office reports that came out (no figures or numbers though).

Sanib star Aubrey Miles has strong competition in the film fest. Regine Velasquez has over P380 million in overall box-office grosses from her movies (where she was the lead star). Maui Taylor has accumulated almost P200 million in the same manner. Ara Mina's count is incomplete as of this day.

Aubrey has so far in lead roles, totalled P58.1 million.

Offline Zaldo

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2003 at 10:46 PM »
3. The first 60 minutes of the movie is plain boring! We get to see Aubrey living her daily life, then later getting haunted by her long dead sister and we get to see other characters as well. Most of those characters contribute nothing to the film's value but the exception is Raymond Bagatsing as Father Jesse

4. The last 40 minutes of Sanib got some steam in terms of quality and entetainment but this is because it ripped certain moments from the classic horror flick "The Exorcist":

-As Father Gaspar and Father Jesse arrive at the home of Aubrey's folks (where possessed Aubrey is in), we suddenly hear a loud and evil voice scaring them. That was ripped off from The Exorcist when Father Karras and Father Merrin got into the house and heard the evil voice loudly.

-Bagatsing's Father Jesse is ripped off from Father Karras (weakening faith making him vulnerable to evil) but the difference is that Jesse is guilty of having a son despite his priesthood.

-Possessed Aubrey tries weakening Father Jesse by speaking his dead son's voice and looks (in separate scenes) in an effort to weaken the exorcism. This is a copy of The Exorcist wherein possessed Linda Blair speaks to Father Karras with his dead mother's voice.

With number 3, I agree talaga. The first one hour for me is boring and lacks any interest. I really felt wasting my time in the first 60 minutes.

With number 4 and the rip-offs, agree din ako. I watched The Exorcist many times I can remember the scenes very well.

Nakakhiya talaga ang Regal Films. Gumawa pa sila ng Poor Man's Exorcist.

And they think that putting Aubrey Miles as the lead role would attract lots of people?

Kay Regine palang, wala nang laban si Aubrey so box office.

Offline mission-x

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2003 at 11:17 PM »
ayon sa aking impormante, si kris aquino ang first choice sa sanib.  
Naging comedy sana ang pelikulang ito.

Erwin

Offline toyfanatic

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • "ExEpTiOnAl ClArItY"
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 13, 2003 at 11:24 PM »

i guess this movie was made for class "C" viewers (sowee if i offended someone) comm'm guys, trailer pa lang sa tv, one would say its a rip-off from exorcist.  Talagang pure entertainement lang! ;D

ganyan naman tayong mga pinoy magaling manggaya!

pero this movie is not recommendable :P

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 13, 2003 at 11:55 PM »

i guess this movie was made for class "C" viewers (sowee if i offended someone) comm'm guys, trailer pa lang sa tv, one would say its a rip-off from exorcist.  Talagang pure entertainement lang! ;D

I don't think you can judge a movie solely based on a trailer. In the first place, Filipino movies usually are promoted by lackadaisical or lame trailers. Plus, this movie is directed by Celso Ad Castillo...somehow he might be able to pull a surprise considering this is the man who directed the classic Pinoy horror Patayin sa Sindak si Barbara...

Plus, come on, how many times have we been fooled by very good trailers from Hollywood which delivered lame movies....Come on we were blown away more by the trailer of The Matrix Reloaded than the film itself.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 14, 2003 at 06:38 PM »
SANIB is now no. 2 at the box-office, I told you guys, are you listening Ritchie?

AUBREY MILES will bounce back!

GO GO GO AUBREY!  :D :D :D

Offline jeft

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 14, 2003 at 06:43 PM »
i've just watched the movie kanina sa mga mall....and heres my review:

- i agree the previous post stating that the flashbacks were way too long and boring...especially the one where the young aubrey was looking for her sister...also, it would be effective if they used oldfilm and grainy effects with the flashbacks

-what's the deal with the glowing crosss behind the father's back...natawa tuloy kme nung kasama ko...

-is the film so low budget they can't afford extras??...kaya ba may kambing at pato dun sa isang scene??

-the horrible (at least)  thing  about this movie was the acting...it was plainly wooden....

-the trailer made me expect more(as in ..really) from the film...

-kala ko pa naman matatapatan natin ung the eye, chaka the ring..

Offline jeft

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 14, 2003 at 06:45 PM »
ayon sa aking impormante, si kris aquino ang first choice sa sanib.  
Naging comedy sana ang pelikulang ito.

Erwin

'wahahaha...sabi nga nung kasama ko sana di nagbackout si kris...para at least naging entertaining

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 14, 2003 at 09:03 PM »
SANIB is now no. 2 at the box-office, I told you guys, are you listening Ritchie?

AUBREY MILES will bounce back!

GO GO GO AUBREY!  :D :D :D

You Aubrey fans sure are pathetic to celebrate so early in the festival.

Just you wait until the final box-office tallies and awards are given.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 14, 2003 at 09:09 PM »
What is important to us...Bro was that she recovered after the disaster at the box-office of Xerex.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 14, 2003 at 09:17 PM »
What is important to us...Bro was that she recovered after the disaster at the box-office of Xerex.

What is more important is seeing the actual box-office figures when the festival has ended.

Hey Jayson, you got them stats yet?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 14, 2003 at 09:22 PM »
SANIB was megged by Celso Ad Castillo who brought us...patayin sa sindak si Barbara now considered a cult classic in Phil. Cinema.

I dont think Sanib is pure trash.

Can Jayson provide now the box-office gross for all the entries in the on-going manila filmfest?

Offline JaysonLi

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 14, 2003 at 09:51 PM »
Not all studios are cooperating although Viva films gave me an estimate of P5.1 million opening day gross for Pangarap Ko Ang Ibigin Ka (Regine Velasquez).

If the estimate turns out to be an actual figure and that Regine's movie is indeed #1, then I expect naturally all others to gross less than P5.0 million.

Regal Films estimate that Sanib opened with P6.5 million, which for me is most likely an over-estimate. I predict that Sanib's real tally would be around P4.4 million.

My other friends in the local box-office business confirmed to me that there is no close fight for the top spot when it comes to June 11 grosses.

Still nothing from the others but Viva said they will follow up to me the gross of Ang Huling Birhen sa Lupa.

Soon as I get the complete and actuals, I'll post it here. I just wish the other studios would be friendlier.

Jayson Li
[email protected]
The Philippine Box-Office Analyst

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #27 on: Jun 14, 2003 at 11:12 PM »
Producers aren't going to get any friendlier because box office results are a big secret in the industry...mainly for tax evasion reasons, and to hide financial distress.  

So keep up the persistence, Jason--that's the only way you'll get anywhere.

Offline Zaldo

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 15, 2003 at 11:34 AM »
Now that many people do agree that Aubrey's performance in Sanib is pure trash and yet being undeservingly nominated for Best Actress, I am now thinking hwo Sanib would have fared had Kris Aquino agreed to the lead role in the first place.

I think Kris Aquino would have been the better choice over Aubrey. Kris is almost always so beautiful wearing heavy makeup 100% of the time and that only makes me wonder how she would look in the monster makeup when her character gets possessed.

Any comments regarding Kris? Think she's the better actress for the role that Aubrey now holds?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: Jun 15, 2003 at 11:48 AM »
I want to express my opinions regarding Kris Aquino but it will be unprintable...  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2003 at 11:48 AM by indie boi »