Author Topic: Why do you buy orig?  (Read 65675 times)

Offline dogears

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Why do you buy orig?
« Reply #60 on: Jun 30, 2003 at 03:15 PM »
...although dvhs and hdvd are superior to dvd, the gap isn't that large...

isn't that large ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? have you seen DVHS/HD in a proper set-up already ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? if yes, and you stick to your statement... you have poor eyesight  ;D ;D ;D

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Jun 30, 2003 at 03:24 PM »
laser discs were large, cumbersome and more prone to scratching than dvds. they were also prone to laser rot which is totally different from dvd rot (which seems to be the problem of the manufacturer rather than dvd itself). the performance gap between laser disc and dvds is exactly like the one between lps and cds. although dvhs and hdvd are superior to dvd, the gap isn't that large. also, improvements like hdtv and progressive scan dvd players can improve the viewing pleasure even more. dvds are here to stay for the long haul.

With regular DVDs you can get HD like quality using an HTPC :D so for me.. tatagal talaga DVDs especially now, wala pang HD content for HDTVs... upconvert regular DVDs nalang  ;D even on my 29" TV I can see a big difference.  Almost like wearing glasses and removing them.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2003 at 03:56 PM by jpadua »

Offline greatness

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 08:59 AM »
I buy originals because I want to have the best quality in picture and music, when I purchase dvds I really like.

Offline purple_jedi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 06:58 PM »
DVD collecting is a hobby...buying orig justifies my appreciation to this passion  ;D

Offline Grandpoobah

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jul 03, 2003 at 02:14 PM »
I only buy orig if the movie is really good, unreleased sa pdvd, high replay value, lots of extras, may booklet sana, nice packaging - so far most of my DVDs have nice packaging like LOTR extended, Brotherhood Of The Wolf 3 disc, Akira R2 - yung pirated nasa seperate cabinet.

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jul 09, 2003 at 11:10 PM »
Less likely that the disc is defective (there are, of course, exceptions).  I want my first viewing of a film that I didn't catch in the theaters to have the best picture and sound possible.  

Offline AVDude

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jul 12, 2003 at 10:19 PM »
I buy both orig and pirated...my reason for buying the orig of course sinabi na ninyo lahat.. ;D

Pero here's my thought doon sa HD-DVD...let take vinyl for example (yun mga LP's)...dba up to now meron pa din mga nangongolekta....i think kapag maganda yun format ng isang media like vinyls, CD's and DVD..IMO it will last.

Peace  8)

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jul 14, 2003 at 09:53 AM »
Maipagmamalaki ba ninyo sa mga anak ninyo ang collection ninyo kung puro naman peyks?! 8)

sabi nga sa bubblegang 1 liner: galit ka nga sa magnanakaw e bili ka naman ng bili ng peyk! ;D

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jul 14, 2003 at 02:03 PM »
I buy both orig and pirated...my reason for buying the orig of course sinabi na ninyo lahat.. ;D

Pero here's my thought doon sa HD-DVD...let take vinyl for example (yun mga LP's)...dba up to now meron pa din mga nangongolekta....i think kapag maganda yun format ng isang media like vinyls, CD's and DVD..IMO it will last.

Peace  8)

Main reason why LPs won't die is because there are many LP fans who believe they're better sounding than CDs.  And many times, such claims of analog superiority can be demonstrated.  

I just wouldn't bet that anyone would be a die-hard DVD fan who would think, say 10 years from now, that DVD is better than HD-DVD.  Nor will such a claim be demonstrable.

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jul 14, 2003 at 02:37 PM »
Main reason why LPs won't die is because there are many LP fans who believe they're better sounding than CDs.  And many times, such claims of analog superiority can be demonstrated.  

I just wouldn't bet that anyone would be a die-hard DVD fan who would think, say 10 years from now, that DVD is better than HD-DVD.  Nor will such a claim be demonstrable.

LP is analog 8)
What is the progress in the digital technology all about? To be able to bring the quality of film in those discs to your own home.
Film is analog 8)

Offline mission-x

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jul 14, 2003 at 03:08 PM »
o bakit LP na ang pinaguusapan nyo?  
Para sa akin, kaya ako bumibili ng orig kasi gusto ko lang.  

Offline mission-x

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jul 14, 2003 at 03:10 PM »
Maipagmamalaki ba ninyo sa mga anak ninyo ang collection ninyo kung puro naman peyks?! 8)

sabi nga sa bubblegang 1 liner: galit ka nga sa magnanakaw e bili ka naman ng bili ng peyk! ;D

Hmm.. nagmamalinis?

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jul 14, 2003 at 03:14 PM »

Offline jimmylr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jul 15, 2003 at 04:52 PM »
If I think the title is worth my money. I buy the orig.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jul 20, 2003 at 07:25 PM »
Why do I buy orig? Because of the quality. Having said that, I think I will not be buying as many as I have been buying.

The reason: I've just come back from a day of viewing and comparing HTPC, upconverted DVDs, and D-VHS, and standard DVDs of course.

I am sorry to say that the D-VHS format decisively blew away the others. I was hoping that it wouldn't, but it did. The difference is large (technically up to 600%). I'm trying my best not to exaggerate and just state my observations as simply as I can. Let me just say that it was quite annoying, for all of us, to go back to the standard DVDs and HTPC. We pulled out the best demo discs with the best transfers...no dice. We just wanted to watch the HD format.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2003 at 07:26 PM by slowhand »

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jul 20, 2003 at 09:44 PM »
isn't that large ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? have you seen DVHS/HD in a proper set-up already ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? if yes, and you stick to your statement... you have poor eyesight  ;D ;D ;D
when you say a proper setup i.e. DLP, theater like setup, etc. the answer is no. when i say the gap isn't that large, it is meant to cover the normal setup of a  home theater of a 27'-36' direct view tv. the quality gap between dvhs and dvds is more apparent on larger screens.

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jul 20, 2003 at 11:01 PM »
i doubt DVHS will gain mainstream acceptance. for me, it is the equivalent of DAT. DAT was superior to CD's but never really took off even without the issues about copying. it was only a matter of time before single layer and dual layer dvds are superceded in terms of technical performance. however, should we play a waiting game and stop buying dvds? i won't, because dvds are a widely accepted standard even if it no longer state of the art or cutting edge. it will take a long time for a hardware prices and availability of titles in DVHS to rival that of dvds. HD-DVD is still in the planning stages. with the lack of a clear alternative, it all depends on how long one is willing to wait.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #77 on: Jul 20, 2003 at 11:34 PM »
i doubt DVHS will gain mainstream acceptance. for me, it is the equivalent of DAT. DAT was superior to CD's but never really took off even without the issues about copying. it was only a matter of time before single layer and dual layer dvds are superceded in terms of technical performance. however, should we play a waiting game and stop buying dvds? i won't, because dvds are a widely accepted standard even if it no longer state of the art or cutting edge. it will take a long time for a hardware prices and availability of titles in DVHS to rival that of dvds. HD-DVD is still in the planning stages. with the lack of a clear alternative, it all depends on how long one is willing to wait.
IIRC DAT is popular among the pro audio production ppl. DVDs would probably be popular a decade from now. We only have to look at VHS as a prime example. It's been with us for a quarter of a century and still it is popular. Only recently has DVDs outpaced VHS players.

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 09:39 AM »
when you say a proper setup i.e. DLP, theater like setup, etc. the answer is no. when i say the gap isn't that large, it is meant to cover the normal setup of a  home theater of a 27'-36' direct view tv. the quality gap between dvhs and dvds is more apparent on larger screens.

IMHO, normal or not, the diff is very evident  8)
Yes, DVHS is a niche market but I believe its making its point. Science, if I was living in US, malamang bumili na ako  ;D [yun e kung me pambili ako  :P]

Offline jonster

• Collector
  • Bring me to life.
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 02:47 PM »
I buy orig because of the quality, packaging, and special features and pag sale din. But sometimes yung orig pa ang may gasgas, bugs, etc lalo na yung mga r1, ang mahal tapos palpak! Kaya yung mga titles na hindi pang-collection and not worth buying, pirated na lang.
Peace!  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2003 at 02:47 PM by jonster »
I'm my own worst enemy

Offline seeker19

• Apprentice
  • hehehe
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jul 25, 2003 at 07:42 AM »
I buy orig coz of the QUALITY and wala kaseng pirated dito eh  ;D

Offline AICRAG

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Do unto others before they do unto you
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jul 25, 2003 at 07:53 AM »
Most of the time, viewing an orig dvd gives me a higher level of satisfaction in video and audio quality....(as compared to p-dvds).... I usually get disappointed watching p-dvds cause of the noticeable pixels....(not present in orig dvd of the same title)
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline positive_noise

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • The Science of ~~AUDIO~~
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jul 28, 2003 at 01:08 PM »
Usually original DVD gives clearer and crispier picture!

positive_noise.  ;)

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jul 28, 2003 at 02:47 PM »
fake dvds have a strong stinky chemical smell... that is enough for me not to buy them ;D

Offline positive_noise

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • The Science of ~~AUDIO~~
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jul 29, 2003 at 12:08 PM »
Ha3x! ;D  i agree with you, mabaho! smells sunog na plastic...

positive_noise.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2003 at 12:08 PM by positive_noise »

Offline tetsu0

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jul 30, 2003 at 01:24 AM »
great quality compared to pdvds
complete special features
nice packaging
you can sell and trade them in this forum   :)

used to buy pdvds but after i bought my first orig,
i'm not goin back to buying pdvds..  :)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jul 31, 2003 at 07:03 AM »
The collectivity appeal is intact and its genuine.

Well definitely crisp and clear compare to PDVD

I love reading the inserts that comes with it

Others got these superb packages ( Tin can, Holograms,Holofix, boxes.. etc)

Bottomline, I basically love collecting it
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 12:50 PM »
I buy because I have no choice. As it is, origs are already overpriced. (We find that out when they suddenly drop the price for one product and overprice a newer version). Worse, they come up with newer versions of the same movie (which becomes part of their old stock), and use the same marketing techniques to hype the item. Then they release the same product in a new format, and manufacturers of players no longer support the old format. Finally, they come up with attractive booklets and covers which cost only a few cents.

Parang niloloko lang tayo.  :-[

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 01:47 AM »
it's the right thing to do under regulatory acts, but financially, bahala na kayo! ;D

Offline De Niro

• Apprentice
  • Ace Rothstein is in the HOUSE!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 02:11 AM »
And is it true nakakasira daw ng player ang pirated DVDs?
nope. the disc never touches the optic eye, ilaw lang.