Author Topic: Why do you buy orig?  (Read 65998 times)

Offline lekxxz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Why do you buy orig?
« Reply #90 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 06:14 PM »
Original DVDs are definitely better in quality and packaging.

Hindi mo rin maipagmamalaki sa iba kung puro pirated ang collections mo.

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 10:49 AM »
Ha3x! ;D  i agree with you, mabaho! smells sunog na plastic...

positive_noise.

Ha3x! but we still buy those mabaho! smells sunog na plastic DVDs di ba ;)

Offline Onion Skin

• Collector
  • my hand print
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 11:32 AM »
Ha3x! ;D  i agree with you, mabaho! smells sunog na plastic...

positive_noise.

Inaamoy mo ba yung dvds mo pag nanonood ka?

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 11:36 AM »
nope. the disc never touches the optic eye, ilaw lang.

While it is true that it does'nt generally damage the lens of the DVD, some p**d DVD's are improperly pressed..uneven ung weight..and this may damage the drive motor of the player... Sa orig, cguradong walang problema  ;D

Offline Onion Skin

• Collector
  • my hand print
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 11:56 AM »
While it is true that it does'nt generally damage the lens of the DVD, some p**d DVD's are improperly pressed..uneven ung weight..and this may damage the drive motor of the player... Sa orig, cguradong walang problema  ;D

This is not necessarily true. Typically, p**d DVD's weigh less that original DVD's. Even uneven weight distribution on the disk area is negligible because of lesser weight on p**d DVDs.

Offline Onion Skin

• Collector
  • my hand print
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 11:58 AM »
Original DVDs are definitely better in quality and packaging.

Hindi mo rin maipagmamalaki sa iba kung puro pirated ang collections mo.

Absolutely!!!!

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 01:16 PM »
Inaamoy mo ba yung dvds mo pag nanonood ka?

bro i have a shady acquaintance who only buys fake dvds. noticed his room smells like the basement of makati cinema square or greenhills  >:( you can smell fake dvds even from a distance. nasty smell indeed

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 02:36 PM »
Generally, pareho lang ang laman ng orig at PDVD. Hindi lang pa kasi nagbebenta ng marami at murang DVD burners. As for the package, ilang sentimo lang ang plastic at papel.

'yan ang sinabi nila tungkol sa audio CD, tapos sila-sila rin ang gagawa at magbebenta ng CD burners. Ngayon, bagsak na ang presyo ng burners at blank CDs.

Susunod ang DVD. At the same time, lalabas sila ng bagong format. From there, bili na-naman ang collector ng bagong kopya!

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 05:04 PM »
i have borrowed fake dvds from that unscrupulous acquaintance of mine. one thing common with all of them is the terrible sound quality they ALL emit. the so called DTSES/DDEX pirated dvds more often than not emit the same sound in all 7 speakers. sometimes you are lucky to get different sound from every speaker .... the glitch though is that evidently the wrong sound is being emitted. i have played dvds where the dialogue comes out from the rear ? ? ?

picture quality is also inconsistent. there are some that give true DVD picture but there are some that get grainy. if you are unlucky you will get a VCD or LD version being passed of as a DVD.

the aggravation of fakes just aint worth it. besides pirating or buying pirated things of any form of media is in plane and simple words STEALING from the true producers/manufactureres no matter what your justification may be

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Aug 10, 2003 at 03:12 PM »
Two-thirds of the price of a DVD goes to the storage, handling, and marketing costs of the wholesaler and the retailer. (Only a few cents goes to the disk, the CD label, the plastic box, any leaflet, and paper cover. The bulk goes to marketing and operating costs.) The low cost of copying disks, the routine price drops of copying technology such as burners and disks, and the increasing level of on-line commerce and marketing shows that companies can actually have their products manufactured locally and sell DVDs at 70 percent off. This might even provide more jobs to locals.

Years ago, a few Filipinos spent tens of thousands of pesos buying LDs. Now, these disks are sold at one-tenth their price. Soon, support for players might go the same way as record players. It's possible that people who buy DVDs will experience the same.

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 03:08 PM »
well i hope that doesn't happen for our sake ;D

ho' well! to each his own. i personally am happy collecting R1 dvds and at peace making the real producers rich by buying real dvds. dont want the f*ckin taiwanese or unscrupulous mainland chinese or the bastard chinoys getting any of my hard earned money... they can all screw themselves as far as i am concerned. by buying the trash they produce, we condone their act of theft and deceit. i would rather give my money to warner and mgm anyday

Offline vinnov4

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Aug 12, 2003 at 07:33 PM »
Ako naman puro p* pa dvd ko kase last week ko lang nabili player ko, he he! Di pako nabili ng orig kase la pa ko pera pero my reason kaya ako nagbabalak bumili ng orig kase gusto ko mag collect ng dvds. And yun nga napansin ko although maganda quality nung nabili ko na p* dvds e may kulang pa din dun sa features. I'll buy the orig as said pag nga talagang gusto ko yung movie. So yung mga P* dvd, puwede siyang testingan lang kung maganda yung film then buy the orig pag nagustuhan mo yung movie.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2003 at 07:35 PM by vinnov4 »

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #102 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 06:39 AM »
 I know that there's a big difference in video quality between p* and orig ( kitang kita sa mga dark scenes), but audio quality I'm not sure kung meron difference, how would you know?

Some say that it's noticable in dts, sa 5.1 din ba?, how about 6.1?.  I can't tell the difference eh, siguro it's just my ears  :P.

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #103 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 06:43 AM »
 Another thing is the main menu on some p* dvds is dvd copy but when you watch the actual movie it's on vcd copy pala  :P, yikes  >:(
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2003 at 06:44 AM by gutierrez »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 08:19 AM »
If you plan to have your own personal collection, any collectible item for that matter (eg. jewelry, trading cards, figures etc.) I dont think you'd want to keep fake ones.  It's a matter of choice... I'd rather have a collection of 10 Original DVDs that I bought with my hard earned cash, than 50 pirated copies I bought for cheap.
Integrity my brotha!
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2003 at 08:20 AM by jpadua »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 08:25 AM »
I know that there's a big difference in video quality between p* and orig ( kitang kita sa mga dark scenes), but audio quality I'm not sure kung meron difference, how would you know?

Some say that it's noticable in dts, sa 5.1 din ba?, how about 6.1?.  I can't tell the difference eh, siguro it's just my ears  :P.

There are some p*DVDs that "steal" the original audio track from the "original" copy.  Thats if there is an existing "Original" DVD already out in the market.  Yung mga bagong labas lang na movie na wala pang official pressing ng DVD, most likely yung mga pirate na ang nagmix ng 5.1 audio track which is not up to the standards of Dolby Digital or DTS they just followed the format but not the quality.  And more often than not, P* DVDs use lower bit encoding for audio to be able to fit all the files (audio, video, features) into a DVD5.  More often than not, Original DVDs use DVD9 to have the highest possible encoding for video, audio and features to fit into a single disc.

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 12:32 PM »
First of all, many pirates are supported by the same media corporations and their governments. For example, Red China is the biggest pirate in the world, and yet receives "Most Favored Nation" status by the U.S. In return, the U.S. gets cheap labor. (It's not coincidental that the same DVD boxes and other parts are made in China and other countries.)

Second, the same media companies are now manufacturing or investing in manufacturers of CD copying technology. Soon, just like CD burners, the prices for DVD burners and disks will drop.

Third, just like LDs and CDs, the same media companies change formats often, forcing consumers to upgrade at the same or double the price. Just like cassettes, LPs, LDs, VHS tapes, and CDs, it's possible that in the future (probably even the near future!), DVDs will be replaced by another format.

Sure, we can hope that the format will stay. That's what they said about the LD.

Offline DVDeophile

• Collector
  • DVD RULES!
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Nov 28, 2003 at 02:55 AM »
Nothing beats the original! it's much better to have a collection of original DVDs because of it's resale value, the quality and the packaging for showing off your collections. 8)

Offline miami_dude

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Nov 28, 2003 at 08:57 AM »
Nothing beats the original! it's much better to have a collection of original DVDs because of it's resale value, the quality and the packaging for showing off your collections. 8)

Yeap...that's exactly what I wanted to say  ;D

Offline paeng

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Nov 30, 2003 at 02:50 PM »
'di ba mura lang ang packaging? Parang P20 lang yata para sa plastic at booklet.

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Dec 02, 2003 at 01:07 PM »
ang pangit i-display ng mga japeks.  nakakahiya. plus, originals have a higher re-sale value.  especially pag magkakaroon ng sequel.  or anniversary release.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2003 at 01:08 PM by diesel »
how can anyone love a pebble in their shoe?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Dec 02, 2003 at 01:34 PM »
1. Video quality - Since original DVDs are usually pressed in DVD-9 vs Pirated in DVD-5s there is less video compression.

2. Audio quality - Some pirated DVDs say they have DD or DTS but are not the same... I have compared pirated and original discs and listening to soundtracks, one particular pirated copy had voices coming out the rear speaker as compared to the original, having the voices only coming out of the front center channel.  Not all audio is the same.

3. Special Features - Since pirated discs have limited space inside a DVD-5, special features are usually ommitted, sometimes even audio features disabled like choosing different formats like DD and DTS. (Even if the original disc was published having both DD and DTS)

4. Integrity - It just feels better to own a select number of hard earned Original DVD titles, than hundreds of Pirated copies that you got for a measly 80 bucks.  If you were a collector, would'nt you want to have a collection something with value?

This is just my point of view though, as I value my DVD collection. :)

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #112 on: Dec 03, 2003 at 12:09 PM »
better picture quality and superior audio, esp reg 1,

i buy the reg3 if sale and soso kind of movie. 98% i buy reg1--simply the best ;)
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Dec 12, 2003 at 09:29 PM »
i buy original dvds if the special features are very good, just like X2 and Indy.
Picture quality over plot

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Dec 13, 2003 at 01:11 AM »
i don't think conjecting what happened with Laserdiscs will happen to dvds. a more valid comparison is what happened with LP when cds arrived. Remember that MOST (not the early adopters) consumers will only upgrade when they see the value in doing so. Laserdiscs were bulky, hard to maintain and expensive. dvds are compact and are selling for the same prices that Laserdiscs used to sell for. Remember than our peso has devaluated by nearly 50% during the time that Laserdiscs were being sold at P1k meaning that dvds are being priced less than laserdiscs.

About copying dvds, there are no dual layer dvd-rs yet available in the market nor are there plans to do so. One of the most tricky aspects of dvd authoring is making sure the layer change occurs at a scene in the movie that is not as noticeable as possible.

Offline Grimlock

• Collector
  • No Magic Mr Slinky!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 01:07 PM »
I buy the orig if I really like the movie and only on R1, the rest are p*  ;D

Offline dugs

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 02:09 AM »
I want to have peace of mind, assured quality wise on what I buy and pay for. Iba na rin ang dating if I own and collect ORIGINALS. ;)  Furthermore most of the DVDs I'm interested in  are NOT AVAILABLE IN PIRATED VERSIONS so I've got no choice but to go with ORIGINALS all the way.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 10:20 AM »
I often wonder why some people say some p-dvds are "as good as" the originals. I've never tried a p-disc that can match the video or audio of the origs.

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 03:59 PM »
I just gave away some titles from my collection as gifts. And since they are original, di nakakahiya. Problema na lang nila na bumili ng player kahit generic.

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Dec 20, 2003 at 12:00 AM »
I just gave away some titles from my collection as gifts. And since they are original, di nakakahiya. Problema na lang nila na bumili ng player kahit generic.

Dapat yata eh isinama mo na rin yoong dvd player boss viper!  ;D