Author Topic: Why do you buy orig?  (Read 65951 times)

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
Re:Why do you buy orig?
« Reply #150 on: Apr 06, 2004 at 04:28 PM »
Here's something interesting:

http://chronicle.com/free/v50/i30/30a03801.htm

It turns out that the Philippines is tops in textbook piracy.

It's possible that many Filipinos became educated because of pirated textbooks and other materials. Then, when they became financially successful because of that education, they began to buy original DVDs.

We can add that to our principles:

Pirated textbooks: OK

Pirated DVDs: no way

Textbook (and all kinds of books, for that matter) piracy are not that rampant, though the Phils (they say) is number in it. But we should consider the fact that foreign publishers, in order to minimize book piracy, permit their publications to be REPRINTED in Asian countries like the Phils., Singapore, India, etc., for them to be able to still get some of the royalties from these publications. They do not simply let their publications be distributed locally by local publishers, but they let them be republished here using cheaper materials and at the same time the cost of shipping actual books are removed.

I say that this should be the case to foreign, especially Hollywood DVDs. Though there are the R3 editions of such, it will certainly bring the price of DVDs to extremely low level if we will be able to re-published them here in the Phils. using cheaper but not necessarily low-class materials. In this case, everybody will be happy! And no one's will be at a losing end!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: Apr 06, 2004 at 06:01 PM »

I say that this should be the case to foreign, especially Hollywood DVDs. Though there are the R3 editions of such, it will certainly bring the price of DVDs to extremely low level if we will be able to re-published them here in the Phils. using cheaper but not necessarily low-class materials. In this case, everybody will be happy! And no one's will be at a losing end!

Using low class blank DVDs?  I doubt if the price will go down.  More likely the profits will go up for the local distributors.  Look at the locally made CDs.  The new releases are priced above P400 same as the imported ones.  Did local CDs bring down their price?

Offline danzig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Apr 07, 2004 at 05:28 AM »
I hope you can provide evidence, like statistical information and a source, so that we know that piracy is not as bad as the Chronicle article states. Otherwise, we will have to accept such evidence.

I agree with reprinting. Unfortunately, more publishers are reluctant in allowing reprints because they believe that Filipinos can afford to buy originals and reprints have been offered for too long a time.

Also, the analogy is not that exact. Several local buyers insist on getting R3s that have the same features as R1s and at lower prices, but that is not the case all of the time. I've noticed that in several cases, there are not enough titles available locally, the features are lacking for R3s, or worse, the image is substandard in quality.

The situation is worse for reprints. Reprints use cheap newsprint, black and white images, poor binding (mostly glue and cheap tack board), and often involve old editions. They also don't include instructor's manuals, multimedia materials, CD-ROMs, and other products needed together with the textbook.

Also, I think publishers are increasingly reluctant in allowing reprints. That's why they will offer only older editions, and allow reprints only for selected titles. (Notice that movie producers do the same thing for R3s.)

Finally, from what I know, R1s are mostly sold in the Philippines illegally, and only because there is no R3 counterpart. That is why most have no VRB stickers (which make them smuggled if sold for a profit), and most sellers will not replace the product sold if it is defective. Also, I'm not sure if sellers with stores register their business or pay taxes.

The only two ways of getting R1s, then, is to buy them from local stores that have VRB stickers or to order them from abroad (which will cost a lot of money, given freight and probably duties).

Textbook (and all kinds of books, for that matter) piracy are not that rampant, though the Phils (they say) is number in it. But we should consider the fact that foreign publishers, in order to minimize book piracy, permit their publications to be REPRINTED in Asian countries like the Phils., Singapore, India, etc., for them to be able to still get some of the royalties from these publications. They do not simply let their publications be distributed locally by local publishers, but they let them be republished here using cheaper materials and at the same time the cost of shipping actual books are removed.

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Apr 07, 2004 at 05:40 AM »
I'd like to add that according to one source when the CD was introduced, it was sold at a price higher than that of an LP with the same content. LP owners complained, and publishers promised that the price would eventually go down. After two decades, it never did.

I notice that the cheap R3s are mostly titles in the company catalog that aren't moving. New movies that didn't do well are sold at lower prices to keep the money flowing, while prices for hits are set are kept high. Then, a new version of the same movie is released years later at an even higher price. It's possible that with a new format the feeding frenzy will begin anew.

In almost all cases, something like 50 percent of the price goes to marketing and overhead.

Using low class blank DVDs?  I doubt if the price will go down.  More likely the profits will go up for the local distributors.  Look at the locally made CDs.  The new releases are priced above P400 same as the imported ones.  Did local CDs bring down their price?

Offline El Zar

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Why do you buy orig?
« Reply #154 on: Apr 14, 2004 at 05:49 PM »
Because original DVDs are spelled D-V-D. Pirated is di-bi-di...
"ser, eks, gusto mo?"

Offline rsuello

• Collector
  • Marijuana is not addictive...
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Apr 19, 2004 at 11:28 AM »

once may extra money na ako - i'll buy original DVDs. generic DVD player lang nga ang sa akin  ;D

with the current pricing of orig DVDs, it seems that only the rich people have the right to enjoy high-quality home theater entertainment. or is this the reality nowadays -- even in entertainment, only the rich people deserve the best.

daily income of an average filipino family - P275.00

hmmm, i guess the temptation to buy pirated DVDs/audio CDs is too great... how to solve this piracy problem -- make DVDs widely available for rental... just like what happened when VCDs' rental fees were brought down to P15.00 back in 2002... pirated VCD purchases were minimal... Viva Video City, unahan n'yo na!!!
Sa panahon ngayon, bawal ang magkasakit!

Offline El Zar

• DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Apr 19, 2004 at 01:16 PM »
An officemate of mine bought only di-bi-di. But I told him that he was missing a lot. Cool packaging, great sound and video quality, ( The works).

He bought orig and was floored by the clarity of audio and video.
Buy original. See what you're missing. Of course, you'll be missing plenty pesos in your wallet but that's the way it goes. ;D

Offline MiKeBiBbY

• Collector
  • This is our year...
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Apr 20, 2004 at 01:05 PM »

with the current pricing of orig DVDs, it seems that only the rich people have the right to enjoy high-quality home theater entertainment. or is this the reality nowadays -- even in entertainment, only the rich people deserve the best.

i'd agree that the hobby is a bit pricy pero to say that only the rich deserves the best as far as home entertainment is concerned, well...  :-X

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Apr 22, 2004 at 12:47 PM »
"I'd like to add that according to one source when the CD was introduced, it was sold at a price higher than that of an LP with the same content. LP owners complained, and publishers promised that the price would eventually go down. After two decades, it never did."

yung prices ng CDs against LPs?

You realize that LPs sell for ~ 40 dollars nowadays, while the same cd will sell for 10 dollars?

ofcourse LPs are the better choice.

prices go this way:

LP/ Vinyls >>>> High Res Audio (sacd/ dvd- audio) >>> CD.

Offline TRS14

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 10:39 AM »
dito na lang ako sa singapore bumili ng orig dvd not because there are no p**dvd here but financialy kaya ko na gastosan hilig ko. Back in the Phil ~900php malaki na to compara sa sahod ko.

Offline Taker08

• Apprentice
  • Deadman walking...
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2004 at 10:34 AM »
audio and video issues

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Jun 19, 2004 at 04:28 PM »
... because I can't find a P****ed version !!!

seriously , I buy original DVDs of movies I have seen before and liked immensely ; of movies that come highly recommended by friends/websites/magazine articles .
these tend to be old movies ;

as for the recent movies ; there are places to go where you can get really good " facsimiles of the original " ...  O0 ... you just have to know where to look .

as has been mentioned several times already ... it's a matter of choice .
if P*****ed DVDs / software / Audio CDs were as widely available in the U.S. / Europe / Japan as in Asia , do you think they will be as popular as well ?
judging from the different nationalities that make up the queue at the underground shops in Singapore , Hongkong , K.L. and Beijing , I think so.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Jun 19, 2004 at 04:54 PM »
... because I can't find a P****ed version !!!

seriously , I buy original DVDs of movies I have seen before and liked immensely ; of movies that come highly recommended by friends/websites/magazine articles .
these tend to be old movies ;

as for the recent movies ; there are places to go where you can get really good " facsimiles of the original " ...  O0 ... you just have to know where to look .

as has been mentioned several times already ... it's a matter of choice .
if P*****ed DVDs / software / Audio CDs were as widely available in the U.S. / Europe / Japan as in Asia , do you think they will be as popular as well ?

judging from the different nationalities that make up the queue at the underground shops in Singapore , Hongkong , K.L. and Beijing , I think so.

i may be wrong, but are you endorsing that we support piracy for convenient reasons? medyo confusing yung statements mo brother... please enlighten us..

but i agree. to each his own.. :)

:)
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2004 at 05:08 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Jun 20, 2004 at 09:17 PM »
Reminder:

Pinoydvd admin does not allow the discussion of piracy anywhere on the board.  Pls. be guided accordingly.  Any post referring to these issues may be deleted.

mods

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Jun 20, 2004 at 09:53 PM »
Reminder:

Pinoydvd admin does not allow the discussion of piracy anywhere on the board.  Pls. be guided accordingly.  Any post referring to these issues may be deleted.

mods

was about to reply to the previous post ... and then I scrolled down and read this ...
so there .   :-X

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Jun 20, 2004 at 09:57 PM »
well dude.. my point exactly....

8)

Offline stannum

• Collector
  • Huh? Me, a collector?
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Jun 24, 2004 at 09:20 AM »
Because my family deserves the best.  ;)

I agree that DVDs are an expensive hobby. But I want my children to enjoy all the features of original DVDs -- superior sound/video quality, add-ons like games, additional footage, etc. So, although it will take a while for me to build up a DVD collection, I'm going orig all the way.
Je ne regrette rien.

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Jun 24, 2004 at 04:34 PM »
I buy orig. because it is the right thing  to do and at the same time you get good quality audio and video...secondly what is the use of buying/acquiring good quality equipment kung P****ed ding lang gamit mo (IMHO).
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2004 at 04:46 PM by KEN »

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Jul 10, 2004 at 08:36 PM »
Kumpleto yung features!

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Jul 20, 2004 at 02:37 AM »
I started out in 2002 with "region 0's" but a few months later, bought an original just to see the diff. And boy, is there a lot of diff! P-dvds kasi, after watching it you just put in a flimsy rack whereas the originals I watch over and over, and sometimes just look at them to read the liner notes, inserts, play the special features, etc. Plus I put them on my shelves na parang shrine to the format where I can appreciate them for their sheer beauty..  ;D

Plus, I've never considered myself to be a rich person so knocking titles off my wish list brings great pleasure, a sort of accomplishment, 'ika nga ni sir wrath, the "thrill of the chase"  ;D

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Jul 23, 2004 at 10:53 PM »
Why do I buy original DVDs... well let just say I like collecting those Gift Sets...
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline KORG

• Collector
  • I'm Carlo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Nov 21, 2004 at 04:47 AM »
simple lang, yung quality ng sound at nung video.

Offline keilu

• DVD Addict
  • sōten ni zase Hyōrinmaru
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Nov 23, 2004 at 11:47 AM »
additional features  ;D

and of course, there are films like the LOTR who incorporates into the film the deleted scenes so its a definite plus - even if i do end up watching almost 3 hours of movie.

then there are the easter eggs, hehehehehe  8)

kaya nga lang..........really expensive hobby   :P

oh well, its definitely worth it   ;)

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #173 on: Nov 23, 2004 at 12:12 PM »
I just switched back to buying origs again after a long period of doing the opposite because of two things.

1. A new TV. Just got a 54" HDTV, and you can really see any and all compression artifacts blown up on the screen.

2. The price. Now that some titles are being sold for only P300-400 pesos, they're more affordable. It just goes to show that orig DVD pricing is somewhat arbitrary which is kinda annoying and should be stopped.

In terms of variety of selection though, local orig DVD distributors really pale in comparison to their rivals.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Nov 23, 2004 at 12:56 PM »
I just switched back to buying origs again after a long period of doing the opposite because of two things.

1. A new TV. Just got a 54" HDTV, and you can really see any and all compression artifacts blown up on the screen.

2. The price. Now that some titles are being sold for only P300-400 pesos, they're more affordable. It just goes to show that orig DVD pricing is somewhat arbitrary which is kinda annoying and should be stopped.

In terms of variety of selection though, local orig DVD distributors really pale in comparison to their rivals.

Yup, for me, about the only compelling reason to buy origs is if you have a large screen like you do now where the low bitrates of pirated stuff become annoyingly obvious compared to origs. (Though many average about 5-6mbps, just 1-2mbps shy of origs, and not always noticable on plasma.)  Those 2nd disc special features are entertaining and informative, no doubt - a good enough reason to buy origs if you only have a small screen like I do.  But whether they are worth 700%+ more than those bare DVDs from abus, I leave that to the buyer. 

The prices of some titles have come down to P299 for sale items.  Excellent development.  My hats off to local distributors for this.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if the distributors are still making profits out of moving their unsold inventories.  It does reveal not just the arbitrary nature of their pricing, but something closer to corporate greed.   ;D  Corporate greed is unstoppable.  You might as well ask OPEC to increase oil production to lower oil prices.  If you notice, after the SALE period, the same DVD title would revert to its P999 or P895 retail price. 

And the titles.  Well, I hate to say it, the ABUS have more selections that change almost every month.  Forget about new and recent releases.  They have old titles the distributors do not find profitable to release in this country.  I think Firewired in another thread made an excellent post about Hollywood studios shelving the release of some titles because local market conditions don't meet their minimum order quantities or something like that.  Enter the Abus,  to sell here what no studio would dare to.   ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2004 at 01:13 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #175 on: Nov 23, 2004 at 05:10 PM »
Hi everyone, Im  new here... 

Nice site.

I have recently bought a generic player and started collecting dvd's. 
I have read everyones post bout the benefits of buying the original and it seems there s a lot of pros with the price only as the con. 

Problem is orig classics (my preferable collection) is hard to find or not available her in  the PI, which is the opposite for the pDVD's.  I think this is one of the reason that Filipinos still tend to go to Quiapo or Ghills.

just my ten cents....  PEACE

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 10:27 PM »
basta ako i try to buy original ones as possible. pero kung di ako mkatiis, i'll buy p-discs. pero it's not the same, i'll still buy the original version. lalo na sa part ko, mahirap mag-ipon ksi student lang ako. nagagalit na nga parents kasi watse of time daw... pero i disagree...

plus, pag original you can really see and hear the diffrence (pero i guess alm nyo na yun).

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2004 at 10:29 PM by vp_ortiz »

Offline mcbry

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • TRuSt YoUr eArS!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Dec 14, 2004 at 12:09 PM »
better video and sound quality  :)

Offline El Zar

• DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Dec 15, 2004 at 09:29 AM »
When you buy orig, you won't be surprised by a lightning raid by the authorities.

Was having lunch at the Makati Cinema Square yesterday.
Suddenly, DIBIDI BUSTERS !

Policemen and riot squad-looking troopers started coming in and the dibidi piratas started panicking and hiding their stuff. Men in white shirts with OMD at the back (Ano ito ? Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark siguro) were putting confiscated DVDs in large sacks. There were plenty of policemen on every floor of the square. Different uniforms. Some had menacing looking armalite rifles.

I felt sorry for the pirates. But I later learned that most of what they confiscated were plenty of dibidi covers/cases. The pirates are crafty and the authorities are putting on a show I guess...

In fact, 45 minutes after the police left, the piratas started selling already. DIBIDI ! DIBIDI !
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2004 at 09:32 AM by El Zar »

Offline kimosabe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Dec 15, 2004 at 02:14 PM »
OMD ba or OMB?

Di ba Optical Media Board yung bagong VRB?  ::)

Back to topic...

Why do I buy orig? Replay value ng movie kung di ko type yung movie pdvd na lang.  But sometimes I discovered na maganda pala yung movie then thats the time na bibili ako ng original.  ;D
if life has failed you, leave the cross you nailed to