Author Topic: Finally... A Thread on "The Simpsons"  (Read 20504 times)

Offline clockwork chico

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finally... A Thread on "The Simpsons"
« on: Dec 05, 2001 at 09:54 PM »
you have a Friends, a Survivor, and the amazing race thread..wondered why no one has started the best show in television for the past decade..THE SIMPSONS

always been a fan of the series since its tracy ullman days(crappy pa yun animation nun, and marge used to be orange, you dont believe me...check the dvd)..the first few seasons we're really great in terms of their script, the last two seasons were mediocre na...but you cant blame matt groeing and company, the show has been on the air for so long!(10 seasons plus na ata) making it the current longest lived show

the great thing about the show is that its the only thing on television now that can get away with almost everyting kasi cartoon sha(or some critics might think)...i remember during the 3rd season ata and they were showing the intro scene wherein bart does his writing on the blackboard ..he was writing we will never win at the emmys hahahaha..

one more thing i enjoy is checking the inside-jokes and references to pop-culture in every episode...during the pulp fiction hype..there was this scene where chief wiggum and several other policemen we're talking inside krusty burger..

policeman1: i've been to shelbyville this morning and i ate at this joint called macdonalds
policeman2:macdonalds!?! never heard of that, might have sprung overnight
wiggum: well, do they have krustyburgers with cheese?
policeman1:yeah..they call them cheeseburgers
policeman2:cheeseburgers! why the hell would they call them that
wiggum:do they have generic non processed heavily artifical and geliated milk?
policeman1:yup...they call them ...shakes

so simpsons fans(that's you bartmaniac)..whats your favorite episode and character

mine would always be "bart the general" and the episode where lisa grows to be a teenager...sa characters, shempre si bart and lisa, apu, the comic book guy, flanders and ralph(chief wiggum's son)-sha yun nagbigay ng valentine card kay lisa that na may train and it says "i choo choo choose you"

btw..bart simpson made it to TIME's 100 most important people of the century...surreal
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2006 at 01:27 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Finally... A Simpsons Thread
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 10:10 PM »
favorite episode?  grabe, if i list all of them, sobrang hahaba yung post ko sa thread na to...  i love almost all of them!  

pero the scene that i always remember from this show:  the episode where NASA drafted regular joes as astronauts for their next flight (Homer and Barney) to increase their TV ratings, and the guy from NASA was introducing the two to the press.  Some reporter asked if it was wise or safe to send civilians to space, and Homer answered: "There would be no problem, as long as we don't crash into that planet ruled by those apes...  wait a minute, the Statue of Liberty!  That was our planet!!!  (Kneels and hits the ground a la Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes)  DAMN YOU!!!  DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!"   ;D

Homer really cracks me up!  When Entertainment Weekly made their funniest entertainers list, I think Homer Simpson made it to the Top 5!  ;D

Hey, I've just reached my 100th post na pala!  WooHoo! (a la Homer)
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 10:33 PM »
I can't remember the particular episode...but Bart made mention of the Cusack siblings in one episode, comparing them (Lisa & Bart) to Joan and John.  ;D  

I also like this episode where the kids are all grown up and Lisa is about to get married to this rich kid.  I cannot remember the exact story anymore, but it was a touching episode because I think hindi natuloy ang kasal ni Lisa because of Homer, or something...It's like choosing between-your-family-and-the-man-you-should-marry kind of story. Maggie was also grown-up in that eppy, a teenager in fact and she still didn't have any lines.

And I'm sure some of you even have tons of Simpsons t-shirts back then ano? I do, hehehe! The ones you buy at 3 for P100 (when the quality of the 3 for 100 shirts were still better then, ngayon isang suot-an lang, basahan na! ) My brother had a cassette tape pa, they released a disco type of song, diba? With Bart saying "You're damn if you do and you're damn if you don't!"

My favorite character has to be Bart.  When I was younger, I said to my friends, I think I'd like to have someone like Bart as my son...smart-alecky & naughty & all that but you cannot really hate him, you know?  I think I'm getting what I wished for...My son is turning into a Bart Simpson! And he adores Bart! >:(  ;D

Still have to finish watching the Simpson DVD, though.  We only got to watch 2 eppy's pa lang ata...have not watched the 2nd and 3rd disc pa.

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 10:35 PM »

favorite episode?  grabe, if i list all of them, sobrang hahaba yung post ko sa thread na to...  i love almost all of them!  

pero the scene that i always remember from this show:  the episode where NASA drafted regular joes as astronauts for their next flight (Homer and Barney) to increase their TV ratings, and the guy from NASA was introducing the two to the press.  Some reporter asked if it was wise or safe to send civilians to space, and Homer answered: "There would be no problem, as long as we don't crash into that planet ruled by those apes...  wait a minute, the Statue of Liberty!  That was our planet!!!  (Kneels and hits the ground a la Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes)  DAMN YOU!!!  DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!"   ;D

hahahaha...i remember that, and how about that play by troy mclure(you might have remembered me by....)na planet of the apes... they were singing ..dr. zeus, dr. zeus--to the tune of rock me amadeus by falco

Homer really cracks me up!  When Entertainment Weekly made their funniest entertainers list, I think Homer Simpson made it to the Top 5!  ;D

yes he did!, robin williams was number 1, pero that was a 1995 issue pa ata

Hey, I've just reached my 100th post na pala!  WooHoo! (a la Homer)

dapat hiritin mo... hmmmmmmm, 100th post ( as in hmmmm, donuts)

i also remember this episode where flanders and family moved in this haunted house(the one where marge was selling)..tapos yun mga anak ni flanders kept on saying "redrum", "redrum"(reference to "the shining")
    ...yun pala red yun room nila!!!

bwahahaha

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 10:40 PM »
Which one nga was Phil Hartman's voice-character?  How about si Conan O' Brien, was he ever a voice-character or just a writer?

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 10:41 PM »

I also like this episode where the kids are all grown up and Lisa is about to get married to this rich kid.  I cannot remember the exact story anymore, but it was a touching episode because I think hindi natuloy ang kasal ni Lisa because of Homer, or something...It's like choosing between-your-family-and-the-man-you-should-marry kind of story. Maggie was also grown-up in that eppy, a teenager in fact and she still didn't have any lines.

that's one of my favorite episodes!..i remember si bart simpson, he works as a wrecking ball operator(how appropriate), and si maggie, palaging bitin whenever she was about to speak(guess the writers dont wana give everything away)

there are rumours that the rich guy was voiced by hugh grant..if u notice the ending credits for this episode, they part was uncredited...

grabe..im such a simpsons fanboy  ;D

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 10:43 PM »

hahahaha...i remember that, and how about that play by troy mclure(you might have remembered me by....)na planet of the apes... they were singing ..dr. zeus, dr. zeus--to the tune of rock me amadeus by falco

;D hehehehehe... yup!  i remember that scene!  can't remember the entire modified lyrics pero that was a real hoot!!!  ;D

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 10:44 PM »

Which one nga was Phil Hartman's voice-character?

troy mclure and ken brockman ..i think they killed the troy character in memory of phil

How about si Conan O' Brien, was he ever a voice-character or just a writer?

writer, but he appeared in one episode "21 short stories in springfield)...he was the tall lanky guy riding a small car

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 10:51 PM »

Which one nga was Phil Hartman's voice-character?  How about si Conan O' Brien, was he ever a voice-character or just a writer?

Phil Hartman did the voice for the stupid lawyer Lionel Hutz, and the actor Troy McClure (you might have remembered me from such and such movie...  :))  I can't remember if he did other voices for the show...

Conan O' Brien was a writer for this show, but he once did a  appearance (as himself)...  He interviewed Bart, if my memory serves me correctly...

Offline electronic70

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 10:56 PM »
Remember the episode where Bart wanted to emulate the daredevil motocycle rider by jumping over springfield gorge on his skateboard? Man, that episode made me laugh so much!

Homer finally convinces Bart not to jump over the gorge, but Homer inadvertly does the stunt himself, as the skateboard he is standing on slides on towards the gorge . . . of course he doesn't make it and falls into the chasm, hitting his head a few times on the way down.

A rescue helicopter airlifts a bandage mummified Homer and hits his head a few times more along the cilff on the way up. Then the helicopter crashes, sending Homer hurtling down again, hitting his (amazingly resilient) head along the cliff a few more times  ;D   ;D

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 11:01 PM »

A rescue helicopter airlifts a bandage mummified Homer and hits his head a few times more along the cilff on the way up. Then the helicopter crashes, sending Homer hurtling down again, hitting his (amazingly resilient) head along the cliff a few more times  ;D   ;D

homer's head as well as his brain is one of the most astonishing things ive ever seen on TV hehe...

did u guys see that commercial for the INTEL PENTIUM chip, wherein they placed one sa brain ni homer, and he suddenly becomes smart hahahahaha... funny

Offline electronic70

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 12:05 AM »
Any idea when Season 2, 3 etc. will come out on DVD?

Offline Blankman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 12:25 AM »

did u guys see that commercial for the INTEL PENTIUM chip, wherein they placed one sa brain ni homer, and he suddenly becomes smart hahahahaha... funny

That would be the hi-tech doughnut. I got a backpack of that somewhere, with the "Intel Inside" logo stamped on Homer's head.

I love the Simpsons, but haven't bought the DVD. I've read in one of the threads here that there's some sort of rot on the R1 release, and got discouraged to buy. I wonder if that has been fixed??

JOHN

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 02:09 AM »

troy mclure and ken brockman ..i think they killed the troy character in memory of phil

I think Kent Brockman was done by Harry Shearer. I remember seeing Troy Mclure even after Hartman's death. I'm pretty sure they found as close a replacement as they could.

Favorite quotes:

After a delicate lobotomy on Homer's head
Marge (paraphrased): Homer, they had to take a bit of your brain.
Homer: Me lose brain? Uh oh.
Everyone laughs
Homer: Why I laugh?

Homer trying to recover hate mail he accidentally sent to Mr. Burns
Homer: Hello, my name is Mr. Burns. I believe you have a letter for me.
Mail clerk (paraphrased): Of course Mr. Burns, and what is your first name?
Homer: ... ... I don't know.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 02:11 AM »
Favorite character is Homer.

Like everyone else, I have too many favorite episodes to count. The Sideshow Bob episodes, definitely... The Holloween specials are always extra special.

And how about that Holloween episode where homer gets sucked into the Third Dimension? :)

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 03:29 AM »

so simpsons fans(that's you bartmaniac)..whats your favorite episode and character

Thanks for the special mention, clockwork! :D  So glad to see a thread devoted to the show :D

Among my favorite episodes are:
1. Three Men and a Comic Book - Where Radioactive Man #1 was shown and Bart as Bartman.  I felt sorry for the boys when the comic got torn :(

2.  Lisa's Wedding - nice seeing the kids all grown up.  Plus, the fact that viewers still didn't get to hear Maggie talk (something always happens) even as a grown up ;D

3.  Flaming Moe's - where Homer concocted a cocktail drink with Moe taking all the credit. Aerosmith as s.  Nice theme for 'Flaming Moe's' too.

4.  Lisa's First Word - previews the first words of baby Bart & baby Lisa plus it was the first and only episode where baby Maggie talked (not counting those fantasy Haloween episodes, of course). She said "Daddy" and only Homer heard it.  Trivia: Maggie's first word voice by Liz Taylor.

5. And Maggie Makes Three - very touching episode where Homer explained why Maggie's pics are not in the family photo albums :'(  I got touched by Homer's love for the often neglected Simpson kid. :'(

6. The Springfield Files - a Simpsons-X Files crossover. I liked it because the episode was done ala-X Files, even the music!

The episode I missed seeing is the Holloween Special where Homer turned 3D.

My favorite characters (aside from Bart) is Homer and Radioactive Man.  

Which one nga was Phil Hartman's voice-character?

Phil Hartman's voice-characters are Troy McLure, Dr. Marvin Monroe and Bleeding Gums Murphy (Lisa's sax mentor).

Any idea when Season 2, 3 etc. will come out on DVD?

Here's the info I've got from the web:

= = = = = start = = = = =

Paper says 2nd DVD set due in May 2002

Another Simpsons DVD release, this one with the show's second season, is expected in May, according to a report in the Houston Chronicle.

Series producer Al Jean tells the newspaper that Fox "definitely will do more" DVD sets.

"We've recorded the commentary already for season two, and the DVD set is being assembled now," he said.

No confirmation from Fox Home Video on a May release, but it sounds about right. According to Variety trade magazine, Fox wants to release a DVD set about once every six months.

= = = = = end = = = = =

I love the Simpsons, but haven't bought the DVD. I've read in one of the threads here that there's some sort of rot on the R1 release, and got discouraged to buy. I wonder if that has been fixed??

JOHN

If this is true at all, I have yet to see/read a first-hand info by someone who actually have a 'rotten' disc.  Mine is running smoothly (thank goodness!) :D

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 04:47 AM »

uh-oh... that post came from me!  actually nakuha ko kasi yung info na yun sa ibang DVD forum sites like Home Theater Forum and DVD Talk...  pero the DVD i got played fine without any problems, so i guess there's not a lot of those bad DVDs released in the wild, so to speak...  go grab a copy!  you wouldn't regret it!  :) at saka kung defective naman yung nabili mo, i'm sure the seller would be willing to take it back and replace it...

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 04:49 AM »

Homer trying to recover hate mail he accidentally sent to Mr. Burns
Homer: Hello, my name is Mr. Burns. I believe you have a letter for me.
Mail clerk (paraphrased): Of course Mr. Burns, and what is your first name?
Homer: ... ... I don't know.

hehehehehehhe!!!!!   ;D  i remember that scene!  grabe, siguro kung may mag-post at mag-post pa ng ibang mga favorite bits nila tungkol sa simpsons dito sa thread na to, malamang napanood ko lahat ng mga yun!  ;D

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 05:24 AM »
so far..the most memorable episode for those who posted in this thread is

"Lisa's wedding"

it was kinda fascinating seeing the simpson kids all grown up..especially maggie (her personality seems to be a combination of bart(by looking at her room--ang gulo, parang kay bart) and lisa(she was seen reading a book with jazz playing in the background)..too bad she didnt speak

some things you might have missed out from the show

there is a "Steel Wheelchair Tour 2010" Rolling Stone poster in Lisa's college dorm room

In the year 2010, Kent Brockman workks for CNNBCBS, a division of ABC

As a teen, Maggie has a motorcycle trophy as part of her messy room's decor

sound effects reminscent of "the jetsons" and "star trek" can be heard thruout the episode

line of the the show-- Marge: "you know, FOX turned into a hard-core sex channel so gradually, i did'nt even notice" (simpsons is airing at FOX--hahaha..so tongue in cheek

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 05:33 AM »

5. And Maggie Makes Three - very touching episode where Homer explained why Maggie's pics are not in the family photo albums :'(  I got touched by Homer's love for the often neglected Simpson kid. :'(

yeah..i love this episode..this is where toddler bart and lisa were watching  "knightboat-the crime solving boat" on tv (complete with knight rider music and the red lights in front hehe)

it was also revealed in this episode wherein Homer lost his hair by tearing it out each time he learned Marge was pregnant(post-bart, he used to have 3 pieces of hair)

The episode I missed seeing is the Holloween Special where Homer turned 3D.

i saw this..it was kinda cool...bart was also in 3d btw ...they also showed homer walking in a "real" neighborhood (human people-flesh and blood)

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 12:11 PM »

some things you might have missed out from the show

there is a "Steel Wheelchair Tour 2010" Rolling Stone poster in Lisa's college dorm room

In the year 2010, Kent Brockman workks for CNNBCBS, a division of ABC

As a teen, Maggie has a motorcycle trophy as part of her messy room's decor

sound effects reminscent of "the jetsons" and "star trek" can be heard thruout the episode

Whoa! clockwork chico!  Do you remember that much details from the Simpsons or you also have in your hands the "Simpsons Bible" (aka Episode Guide)? ;)

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 12:58 PM »

My brother had a cassette tape pa, they released a disco type of song, diba? With Bart saying "You're damn if you do and you're damn if you don't!"

You're right, CrUzSACK! That line is from the song "Deep, Deep Trouble".  the other song which became popular is "Do the Bartman" which was actually written by Michael Jackson (though he didn't want to be credited in the album).  I found this out reading Nancy Cartwright's (voice of Bart) Autobiography.  She tells that MJ was even there during her/his (Bart's) recording. There are also music videos of these two songs (Does anyone here have a copy of these videos?).

In return, Bart appeared in the unedited/banned version of MJ's "Black or White" video.  I think the said version is 8 minutes long.

Actually, more than the Tracy Ullman shorts, I wish they include these music videos in future DVD releases as special feature.  They should also add the Simpsons TV Ads (Butterfinger & Intel) and a video clip from the 1990 Emmy Awards (with The Simpsons are presentors).  Wishful thinking, i know, but that would be the ULTIMATE Simpsons DVD for me 8)

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 08:10 PM »

Whoa! clockwork chico!  Do you remember that much details from the Simpsons or you also have in your hands the "Simpsons Bible" (aka Episode Guide)? ;)

ano sa tingin mo? hehe...i have the episode guide(every simpsons fan should have one!)..pero i remembered those things when i read it

;D as bart would ay "don't have a cow man"

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2001 at 11:05 PM »

;D as bart would ay "don't have a cow man"

Doh!  Nice catchphrase there but I won't let you have the last say on this, clockwork! ;)

Eat my shorts, dude! ;D

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 08:54 AM »

If this is true at all, I have yet to see/read a first-hand info by someone who actually have a 'rotten' disc.  Mine is running smoothly (thank goodness!) :D

I have!!! the 3rd disc has bubbles!!!! darn, I have to return it.

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 09:06 AM »

I have!!! the 3rd disc has bubbles!!!! darn, I have to return it.

That sounds bad, wcvmorasa :(   But what do 'bubbles' in the disc exactly mean? ???   Is that a defect you see on the disc physically or do you only see it while watching?  Sorry, I'm not familiar with this :-[

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 07:13 PM »
saw the whole set in a day, and i didnt find any problems wwatching it..just got lucky i guess..

great docu on the "bart controversy"..pero i feel dissapointed with the extra features ...also wished that may commentary for each episode...there are a lot of inside jokes on the show which the creators could tell us sana

well..we have to wait for season 2

btw bart... "i didnt post it, nobody saw me post it, you cant tell me that i posted it" hehehe

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 07:27 PM »

great docu on the "bart controversy"..pero i feel dissapointed with the extra features ...also wished that may commentary for each episode...there are a lot of inside jokes on the show which the creators could tell us sana

hi clockwork,
all of the episodes of season 1 have commentaries on each of them...  although i haven't found the time to listen to any of them yet, kaya di ko sure kung na-address dun sa mga commentary yung mga hidden jokes...

and like you, i was also a bit disappointed with the special features... parang bitin nga sya, pero it's still the simpsons, so i feel that i still got my money's worth!  :)

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 07:37 PM »

hi clockwork,
all of the episodes of season 1 have commentaries on each of them...  although i haven't found the time to listen to any of them yet, kaya di ko sure kung na-address dun sa mga commentary yung mga hidden jokes...

they do? argghh, why didnt i notice that!..argghhh, now i have to watch the whole thing again..pero ok lang..i love the simpsons!

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2001 at 08:56 PM »

all of the episodes of season 1 have commentaries on each of them...

don't forget to add the two Easter Eggs (both on disc 3) among the special features :)