Author Topic: Branded CD player vs cheaper ones  (Read 3668 times)

Offline gienr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Branded CD player vs cheaper ones
« on: May 05, 2011 at 05:11 AM »
Listening to music, how do you differentiate the quality of music you hear from the cheaper units compared to the branded ones?  Here is the sample comparison:  Buy a dvd player that also plays CD for 1,500 pesos and buy a branded CD player costing 8,000 pesos.  Play the same CD disc (say, Mantovani or even Brahms Lullaby) and listen to both.  If you rate the branded CD player at 90%, how would you rate the cheaper player? 
     Mga Sirs, I'm asking you this issue because to my personal experience, I cannot feel a recognizable big difference in audio quality. 
      Is it the durability or the feeling of pride having a branded one that makes us choose the expensive one?
Your comment sirs,  they will be very much appreciated.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Branded CD player vs cheaper ones
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011 at 06:13 AM »
Sa digital "all or nothing", di' tulad nang analog.....so theoretically pareho dapat, ang difference nang cheap at expensive, dapat mas matagal ang buhay nang appliance mo, ika' nga "lesser breakdown at downtime".

Ngayon sa audio ang tanong mo....di' lang player iyan'....depende parin iyan sa Amplifier at Speaker mo....ngayon dito nag-ka-katalo...kasi kahit digital ang source, analog parin i-co-convert nang amplifier (kahit optical o' co-axial ang gamit mo) para sa mga speakers, ika nga nag differentia uli ay ang precision pero sa simpleng interpretation sa digital mabalik ako "All or Nothing".....kung plaka.."may talong, may screech,may mahina, may malakas,may sigaw". ;)

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011 at 06:33 AM »
what if im going to buy those 9k plus na pioneer dvd player (DV-LX50) and use it as cd player how will it compared to those 8k cd players? what do we need to look for in a cd player is it the DAC?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011 at 07:08 AM by wildfire »

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011 at 06:51 AM »
If it's the sound you're after then I suggest to spend more on your amplifier and speaker.
As what I have stated above, for digital, it's "All or Nothing", the expensive ones are expensive due to the materials and components used, but the functions remain the same. The 900 pesos CDR-King DVD player can produce good audio given that you'll have a good amplifier and speaker.

The DAC is important only if you'll connect via RCA/Analog connectors, however if you'll utilize the coaxial/optical digital out, it's the amplifier interpreting the data for delivery to the speakers.

BTW...this is a Branded DVD player thread, this topic should probably be moved to audio.

Offline Brian_mico

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • Dakilang mangbabakal at magbobote
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011 at 07:20 AM »

this has been talked and debated a long before, but until now nobody  really can tell us  the differences of Branded CD, Cheap CD and DVD players as audio source....  100% agree to sir Alfie its really matters on the system that you'r using...   

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011 at 09:40 AM »
so a good dvd player will do  ;D

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011 at 09:48 AM »
based on personal experience, may iba ibang character lang ang players. my old pioneer dv120 sounded different from my lg bd550 using the same digital coaxial connection through the same amp and speakers. as in ibang iba yung tunog kahit na i only use them as transport and let the amp DAC process the signal.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011 at 11:36 AM »
I suggest you bring a cheap DVD player sa store that sells good CD players. Compare niyo A/B, hooked-up to a good amp and decent speaks. Pag napansin niyo difference and maganda for you, buy the CD player. Pag di niyo napansin, edi good for you at nakatipid ka.

Para sakin may difference sila (whether digital or analogue ang connection, pero mas pronounced ang differences pag analogue connection), pero kanya kanya talaga tayo ng opinion.

Good luck! :)

Offline gienr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011 at 02:57 PM »
Yes, speakers and your ampli/receiver spells the big difference and a little recognizable quality for branded players.  On the same ampli/receiver, play two different brand of CD players and you will notice that the branded one has a finer quality of audio. Sirs warmaster & Alfie. thanks for the comment

Offline kemozavi

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.soundsolutionsph.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011 at 08:14 PM »
CD players in general as opposed to dvd players should sound better primarily because of their DACs and how they are designed to sound... cd player for music, dvd player for movies etc...

based on expirience meron talaga difference but this is very much reliant on your system... i tried hooking up a branded cdp once on one of my recievers, tapos cinompare ko sa generic dvd player... sobrang hirap marinig ng difference, kahit pabalik balik...

then i hooked up both sources on a tube amplifier... voila!.... clearly mas maganda yung branded cdp... i guess meron talagang mga systems na analytical, and some are just arent...

best if you can bring your source sa shop and compare them with branded cdps, if you hear the difference then prepare for an upgrade. :) if not then good for you. :D iba iba rin kasi pandinig natin, meron talaga mga taong marunong makinig. ( golden ears )

anyway personally when i'm torn between upgrading my cdp or my speakers... i usually upgrade my speakers first since mas malaki yung difference nila... but if you have a nice set of speakers na, its ideal to have a good sounding source too.... junk in junk out ikanga. :)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011 at 09:21 PM »
Listening to music, how do you differentiate the quality of music you hear from the cheaper units compared to the branded ones?  Here is the sample comparison:  Buy a dvd player that also plays CD for 1,500 pesos and buy a branded CD player costing 8,000 pesos.  Play the same CD disc (say, Mantovani or even Brahms Lullaby) and listen to both.  If you rate the branded CD player at 90%, how would you rate the cheaper player? 
     Mga Sirs, I'm asking you this issue because to my personal experience, I cannot feel a recognizable big difference in audio quality. 
      Is it the durability or the feeling of pride having a branded one that makes us choose the expensive one?

If you will compare the Php 1,500 DVD vs Php 8K to 20K CD players I would say there is little difference. The CD players at this range are practically using same DAC architecture as their cheaper DVD brethren. Even their output analog circuits are almost the same schematics wise. You will hear the big difference on 30K and up CD players.

Nowadays with audio DAC chips very cheap they are practically embedded on other chips like micro-controllers or Video DACs - like the one used in DVD players.

If you want it cheap but high end quality in sound you have no choice but to buy 2nd hand or go vintage. Or for those who like to tinker, tweak your CD player.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011 at 09:51 PM »
then i hooked up both sources on a tube amplifier... voila!.... clearly mas maganda yung branded cdp... i guess meron talagang mga systems na analytical, and some are just arent...

IMO, I think it depends on the tube amp. Many tube amps do not necessarily sound good which may mean that branded CDP does not really sound significantly better. I think this is because the typical approach of copying existing circuits means faster time to market. Whether customers will accept or not in the long term only time can tell.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011 at 09:52 PM by rascal101 »

Offline karlo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011 at 11:09 AM »
bosing,

Technically speaking, branded DVD/CD players and cheaper players depends on the parts used. Reliability wise, the branded one guarantees life, durability, dependability and name or reputation. Warranty also applies.
Consumer electronics last for 3 years only, and degrades as years go by... so capacitors, relays, resistors and other electronics parts which are cheap tend to last a few years; thus never tested for longer life. So, in the digital world, they both transmit digital sound comparatively the same. If the player dont read your CDs, they are failing, dont buy them.

Offline meat_eater

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011 at 11:21 AM »
I have a pioneer dvd player, and a NAD cd player. Both are hooked to the same amplifier, with the same wires, and the same interconnects (at least the same brand and lenght, same model), connected to the same speakers.

The soundstage is bigger sa NAD, the vocals are more clear, the sound is warmer, especially when paired with a 192/24 cd (most have an audiophile sticker) well basically, its a better sounding player.

The difference is not night and day, but safe to say, its pretty significant.

The higher you go up the ladder in gears (amp, speakers, wires, interconncts), the more you can feel the difference.

Also, take into consideration the room, if the room is not treated, and a lot of echoes are produced, then whatever player you use, It will pretty much sound the same. Its gonna sound bad.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011 at 11:24 AM by meat_eater »
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM »

good for you. if youre happy and contented with what you hear, let it stay that way. makakatipid ka, iwas gastos

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2011 at 06:42 PM »
^i discovered recently that my SHARP dvd player can really play good music to my ears..... :)

so itinaqbi ko muna yung mp3 player na gamit ko...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2011 at 07:44 PM »
The expensive ones are more to last than the cheaper ones coz you know we tend to give much care & attention to the CDP that have cause much damage to our wallets while we just do whatever to the affordable ones that's why lifespan would be shorter ;D  

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2011 at 03:26 PM by at_sunset_blvd »
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline JDC168

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2012 at 01:43 PM »
I recently bought a new Pioneer DVD player as a replacement to my Hug DVD player.  I don't use this for movies but only as a music player.  I forgot the Pioneer model for I just bought it a week ago and I discarded the box already.  If I remember it right, model is DV-2022? 

Anyway, my DVD player is plugged in to my Aiwa mini component in the aux jack.  Using the mini component as amplifier and its speakers.  The reason I upgraded from Hug to Pioneer is because I've noticed that my Hug DVD player whenever I play my music in it, parang garalgal ang bass.  I thought yung CD writer ko ang may problem pero when I play the same disc to my Fukuda mini component, malinis ang tunog.  So I figured, it must be the player.  Then when I have purchased my Pioneer and played the same discs, ang layo ng difference ng tunog nung music played sa Hug and sa Pioneer.  Naging buo na yung bass and finer na lahat details ng sound.

So for me, I guess from my experience, I can say na branded players delivers better music compared sa generic.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2012 at 04:22 PM »

good for you. if youre happy and contented with what you hear, let it stay that way. makakatipid ka, iwas gastos

best advice you can get.......
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2012 at 04:58 PM »
to add,

as long as the cheap dvd or cd player sound good to your liking, then, Congratulations,that's audiophile quality for you...

am using a nextbase/ganzklar  dvd players as cd player sources also...sounds ok to me ;)
also have those technics with so called burr brown opamp chips inside, sounds ok too...
iba ibang flavors of presentation, i should say...
 :)
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012 at 04:58 PM by dana »

Offline musicbob

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2012 at 01:12 PM »
I have a pioneer dvd player, and a NAD cd player. Both are hooked to the same amplifier, with the same wires, and the same interconnects (at least the same brand and lenght, same model), connected to the same speakers.

The soundstage is bigger sa NAD, the vocals are more clear, the sound is warmer, especially when paired with a 192/24 cd (most have an audiophile sticker) well basically, its a better sounding player.

The difference is not night and day, but safe to say, its pretty significant.

The higher you go up the ladder in gears (amp, speakers, wires, interconncts), the more you can feel the difference.

Also, take into consideration the room, if the room is not treated, and a lot of echoes are produced, then whatever player you use, It will pretty much sound the same. Its gonna sound bad.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, the music room or the positioning of gears in every home is a very essential consideration for a good sounding experience.  I'm no audiophile although I use some good gear models  but i can feel the difference.  Hope you try and see it for yourself. Basic example, place your speakers in front of a solid wall instead at an open window or cluttered sorroundings.  Hope this helps. Bow.