Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 11441 times)

Offline DViant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56

Offline ursula_lear

• Apprentice
  • I am on hold
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2003 at 03:02 AM »
Gahhh!  Crush ko dati si Dirk Benedict! *cough cough*  Starbuck, I HEART you!

ursula

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2003 at 03:10 AM »
Gahhh!  Crush ko dati si Dirk Benedict! *cough cough*  Starbuck, I HEART you!

ursula
In that case you'll be totally shocked at the new Starbuck... hehehe...

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2003 at 12:34 PM »
Does this mean I have to count 4+ years waiting for the DVD compilation to come out? :( :(   Unless of course Studio 23 or Solar picks up the series and airs it locally. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for Enterprise (o meron na nito ignorante lang ako)

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2003 at 02:03 PM »
BG's a SciFi Channel mini-series. Expect it to be shown on one of the Star Channels.

Enterprise is screened every Friday at 8pm on RPN-9. Haven't seen it myself but that's what the trekkies are saying.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2003 at 02:03 PM by DViant »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2003 at 07:23 AM »
The Sci Fi Channel's new miniseries, "Battlestar Galactica", premieres Monday, December 8th, 9/8c. A complete reimagining of the late '70s television show, "Battlestar Galactica" stars Edward James Olmos as Commander Adama, the leader of a rag-tag fleet of ships carrying all that remains of humanity. Everyone else was wiped out by the Cylons, a lifeform that turned on its creator. Now, the survivors "jump into uncharted space...limited supplies...no allies" at war with an unbeatable (and sometimes alluring) foe.

Credited cast:  
Edward James Olmos ....  Commander William Adama
Mary McDonnell ....  Laura Roslin
James Callis ....  Dr. Gaius Baltar
Tricia Helfer ....  Number 6
Jamie Bamber ....  Captain Lee 'Apollo' Adama
Katee Sackhoff ....  Lieutenant Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace
Grace Park ....  Lieutenant Sharon 'Boomer' Valerii
Aaron Douglas ....  Chief Petty Officer Tyrol
Paul Campbell ....  Billy Keikeya
Kandyse McClure ....  Dualla
Connor Widdows ....  Boxey
Matthew Bennett ....  Aaron Doral
Michael Eklund ....  Deckhand Prosna
Alessandro Juliani ....  Lt. Gaeta
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2003 at 02:10 PM »
I just finished watching Part One. Bitin!  ;D

The casting is quite surprising. How can someone as Hispanic as Adama have a son as... Irish(?)-looking as Apollo? And okay, I knew Starbuck was a woman in this version... but I wasn't prepared to see Boomer go from a large African American male to a sexy Asian female!  ;D

Seriously, though... people creating remakes should look at this as the gold standard. The basic premise is the same, but the execution is so different, it's as if you're watching a totally different storyline unfold.

On to Part Two...
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2003 at 02:12 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 05:41 AM »
Old school Starbuck meets new school Starbuck at, where else? At a Starbuck's coffee of course :D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 11:25 AM »
Thanks for posting that pic... that's really funny!  ;D

She's a lot cuter in the mini, though.

This was a GREAT update on a classic. It had very light touches to remind you of the original, like how Starbuck still smokes cigars, or how the original theme was used without integrating it into the new music. Nice and subtle. It had a standard "twist" ending, which either begs for a sequel... or maybe even a new weekly series.

Hopefully Sci-Fi can find sponsors for this project. Sayang naman if the set up leads to nothing more.

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 02:52 AM »
well, last I heard the ratings were really, really good. In fact I think the show posted the highest ratings the sci fi channel ever had, so i won't be surprised if they make a regular series out of it.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2004 at 11:47 PM »
YES!

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA GREENLIT FOR SERIES

Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, Katee Sackhoff & Tricia Helfer Reprising Roles in New SCI FI Channel Original Series

SCI FI Channel has greenlit production on the Battlestar Galactica franchise as a new original weekly series. Based on the top-rated December miniseries event of the same name, the one-hour drama is slated to begin production on 13 episodes in Vancouver next month.

All principal cast from the mini will reprise their roles for the series, including Edward James Olmos (Commander Adama), Mary McDonnell (President Laura Roslin), Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) and Tricia Helfer (Number Six), among others.

Ronald D. Moore (Carnivále, Mission: Impossible 2) returns as executive producer as well as writer. The project will be produced exclusively for SCI FI, in association with Sky One. The series will be distributed by USACE, where David Eick, an executive producer of the miniseries, serves as Executive Vice President.

An edgy reimagining of the 1978 television series, the SCI FI miniseries became the highest-rated cable mini in 2003 — delivering more viewers and higher ratings than HBO's Angels in America. The Battlestar Galactica series is an intriguing take on the classic adventure of a ragtag fleet of humans, the sole survivors of a devastating nuclear attack by the robot Cylons. Faced with an unwinnable battle against a deadly enemy, they are forced to flee under the protection of their one remaining warship, the outdated Battlestar Galactica. Pursued by the Cylons — some of whom have now taken human form — Commander Adama (Olmos) and President Roslin (McDonnell) lead these last remnants of humanity in search of a new home ... a planet called Earth.

SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 83 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a program service of Universal Television Networks, part of the Universal Television Group, a division of Vivendi Universal Entertainment (VUE), the U.S.-based film, television and recreation entity of Vivendi Universal, a global media and communications company.

For more information, here's a recent web chat with screenwriter Moore: http://www.scifi.com/transcripts/2004/rdmoore2.25.html
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2004 at 11:49 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2004 at 03:14 PM »
I'm told BG fans hate the changes and support Richard Hatch's ideas.

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2004 at 10:00 PM »
What exactly are Richard Hatch's ideas?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2004 at 04:27 PM »
Well, they better realize that continuing the old show is never gonna happen, and even Hatch himself has joined The New BG bandwagon:

From SciFi.Com:

Hatch To Appear on Galactica

Richard Hatch, who played Capt. Apollo on the original Battlestar Galactica series, confirmed to SCI FI Wire that he is in final negotiations to make a guest appearance as a different character in at least one episode of SCI FI Channel's upcoming Battlestar Galactica series. The news may surprise some fans, as Hatch had publicly taken SCI FI and the new show's producers to task for re-imagining the concept rather than continuing the old show.

"There are very talented, gifted people involved in this version of Battlestar," Hatch said in an interview. "I guess for five years I'd carried on a campaign to bring back the show, because I thought it had legs. I thought it had a huge fan support and following all over the world, having traveled the world with the Battlestar novels and comic books. Basically, I've been involved in ways to bring the show back and, not only that, but to bring it back in a shape and a form and a way that fans would love and support and yet would also bring it into the future."

The actor added, "I do not see a competition between old show and new show. To me, the original show is a classic and it always will be. The new show is the decision that the network decided to make, and I've always told everybody I'd never do a cameo on any show. A cameo tells me that somebody just wants to use your name, but they're not interested in you as an actor. I've said, on any show, if they offered me a challenging, wonderful role to play, why would I not as an artist, as an actor, love to play it?"

Hatch went on to explain that he subsequently spoke with Battlestar Galactica executive producer Ronald D. Moore at a Battlestar Galactica 25th anniversary event. "I thought he was a very intelligent, very creative, very talented man, really down to earth," Hatch said of Moore. "I enjoyed my conversations with him. We discussed that if SCI FI did pick up the series he might be interested in talking to me about coming on and guest starring on the show. I said, 'Ron, if it was something that would really challenge me as an actor it would be a win-win circumstance, meaning something I'd love doing and would add value to the show, that I would be open to discussing.'"

The miniseries aired last December and was a major ratings success, and Moore then reached out to Hatch. According to Hatch, Moore has cast him in a "Nelson Mandela kind of role," a man who "challenges the powers that be." Hatch expects to shoot the episode, likely the third show of the season, beginning in May. Asked if he would appear on a recurring basis, Hatch responded, "I think the way they set it up is that it's a guest star role that could have a life depending on circumstances. There's been no determination made on that." Battlestar Galactica will debut in early 2005 on SCI FI.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2004 at 11:47 PM »
The website for the new weekly series is up: http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2005 at 08:39 PM »
Is there a chance this series will grace our local screens. I have enough of reality shows and koreanovelas!  ;)

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2005 at 09:14 PM »
The prayers have been answered.

Galactica to be seen in Cinemax (the Pilot I presume).

Still hoping that one of the local channels or cable would pick up the series. :) :)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2005 at 10:06 PM »
I got the Battlestar Galactica Mini Series (How many episodes is this actually?) DVD as a complete uncut movie. Really enjoy it! The special effect esp the audio are great & realistic. The dog fight scenes are intence!  :o Looking forward to get Season 1 boxset soon. It seems Season 2 will premier on July 15 on 10/9c.

I love the old clasic BS too & luckily I managed to get the boxset that comes in a metalic Cylon Head packaging :)
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2005 at 11:45 PM by pchin »

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 26, 2005 at 05:34 PM »
:'( :'( :'( :'(

Waaaah!  Inggit ako!  ;)

Madam Cruzsack / Senor PARC, is your store still open?

How much for this?

Also got the Cylon Head boxset. Ako lang nanonood. :D :D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2005 at 09:16 PM »
I saw the Season One (R2) of the new version for sale at HMV when I was in Hong Kong earlier this month, but it was way too expensive for something I've already watched.

Season One will be released on R1 widely on September 20th. But if you have someone in the States who can buy it from Best Buy for you, Best Buy has it as an "exclusive" beginning July 26th.

BRILLIANT series. I consider Season One to be the best sci-fi show I've ever seen.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2005 at 02:10 AM »
How much for this?

I presume u got the pic from Amazon, then the price should be available there  ;D

Mr. Hankey, I was in HK too 2 weeks ago & saw the Season 1 on sale in HMV (Tsim Tsai Shui area). Yeah I was so tempted to buy it  but unfortunately I already got some other DVDs (no mor ebudget), hence I left this out in view of its high price  >:( Now I've to save up first
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2005 at 02:12 AM by pchin »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 27, 2005 at 08:46 PM »
By the way, if either of you guys are on broadband, you can actually watch the first episode of Season One completely FREE, LEGALLY, uncut and commercial-free, at the show's official website:

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

:)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 27, 2005 at 10:49 PM »
By the way, if either of you guys are on broadband, you can actually watch the first episode of Season One completely FREE, LEGALLY, uncut and commercial-free, at the show's official website:

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/  :)

That's CooL  8) hope my home computer connection speed is fast enough. Will have a try later when I'm home. Not in my office....it's way too slow  :-[

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2005 at 09:57 AM »
I presume u got the pic from Amazon, then the price should be available there  ;D

Mr. Hankey, I was in HK too 2 weeks ago & saw the Season 1 on sale in HMV (Tsim Tsai Shui area). Yeah I was so tempted to buy it  but unfortunately I already got some other DVDs (no mor ebudget), hence I left this out in view of its high price  >:( Now I've to save up first

:'( :'( :'(

My Visa card I use for Amazoning is still under lock and key (malaki utang/the exchange rate is atrocious!)

Sige na nga, papatulan ko na yung  scifi.com!

It seems Cinemax will show also the series with a brand new episode each week after the pilot. Time to check if my VCR can still record!
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2005 at 09:59 AM by viper »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 28, 2005 at 10:18 AM »
Saw the first episode last night....nice....so intense....it's hard call for apollo to vaporize the civilian ship... Can't get enough of the Cylon lady cyborg, she's sure a hottie!  :P Oh boy....I want to see more!!  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 03:34 PM »
So, did anyone watch the miniseries last weekend?

Anyway, Cinemax Asia is airing two episodes of Season One a week, every Sunday at 10PM starting July 9th. Strangely, the episodes seem reedited into a single long episode ("Mission 1," "Mission 2", etc.). I wonder if the merged episodes will be any different from the stand-alone versions.

Worth a look...
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2005 at 03:36 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 06:50 PM »
Looking forward to that...tks for the heads up Mr. Hankey :)

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2005 at 04:51 PM »
The show starts at 9PM Manila Time and runs for approximately 90 mins (equivalent to 2 1-hour episodes). You can easily discern the shift from one episode to the next since the plots are quite distinct.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2005 at 11:16 PM »
The show starts at 9PM Manila Time and runs for approximately 90 mins (equivalent to 2 1-hour episodes).

Oops, thanks for correcting that! I honestly thought I did when I realized my time zone error.

Tumatanda na nga!  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2005 at 11:52 PM »
Ay nako..due to my tight working schedule, I miss out the show...hope to catch the repeat show