Author Topic: Back to the Future Trilogy  (Read 33412 times)

Offline steelydan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Back to The Future Trilogy
« Reply #30 on: Jun 28, 2003 at 02:19 AM »
thanks a lot guys. just waiting for framing feedback before I buy. thanks again.

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jun 28, 2003 at 06:36 PM »
Agh... I couldn't wait and I chose to be a guinea pig... Sorry guys, I checked the BTTF II and it isn't the corrected framing that we hoped... it's wrong, terribly wrong, and the problem is, I don't know who to go to so I can have these discs replaced here!!! I compared the frames posted on the net to the scenes on the disc, and they're the misframed versions...(Can someone give me the contact nos of Magna here?)

Plus, although the box art is better, there is no insert (is there any on the R1?) and the case feels kinda cheap for the 2,250 list price. Also strangely, the BTTF1 disc printing is inferior to the smooth printing on discs of BTTF2 and BTTF3.

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 28, 2003 at 06:41 PM »
But just so that I don't sign off on a completely negative note, the features seem to be intact....and there is DTS available for all the 3 movies.... =)

Now it will take an audiophile with equipment better than mine to verify if the DTS makes a difference... I'll try it out myself tomorrow and let you guys know...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #33 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 12:18 AM »
Sorry guys, I checked the BTTF II and it isn't the corrected framing that we hoped...

That's really crappy. Not very considerate of them. This R3 release was half a year after the problem was discovered, and yet it wasn't corrected, while in the US, Canada and Europe, such copies were recalled and a new corrected version is already in the market. That's just plain wrong!

there is no insert (is there any on the R1?)

Yup, meron yung R1 - a 16 page booklet with movie summaries, list of special features, chapter stops, and production notes with pictures. And you're right, it's not much cheaper to get the R3 instead of the R1.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2003 at 12:22 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 12:33 AM »
It seems that I was wrong----All features are NOT intact---WARNING!!! There is a trade-off for the DTS--- we only have one live Q&A commentary track... for Back to the Future part 1.

This is what's missing by way of commentaries on the R3:
Part 1 : missing scene-specific commentary of writer Bob Gale and Neil Canton

Part 2: Missing scene-specific commentary of writer Bob Gale and Neil Canton and Q&A commentary

Part 3: Missing scene-specific commentary of writer Bob Galeand Neil Canton and Q&A commentary

All deleted scenes on the discs DO NOT have commentary by writer/producer Bob Gale, and the first movie DOES NOT have the enhanced conversation with Michael J. Fox.

Just giving you guys the heads-up on this, but from what I've read, the missing stuff is mostly redundant information that are already contained in the featurettes...here's a quote from the IGN.com dvd review...

"As such the actual (scene-specific) commentary track is a little dry with Bob Gale mostly pointing out "this is where we filmed this, and that is where we filmed that".

To be fair, it looks like the discs are crammed full---7.75GB (DVD9) and it looks like they had to choose whether to include commentaries and small features OR DTS....

They undoubtedly chose DTS because of the trend that asian markets seem to prefer DTS sound to commentary tracks...

I have yet to check the quality of the DTS, if it's really worth the loss of the commentary...will keep you guys posted...
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2003 at 12:40 AM by teemto »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #35 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 12:44 AM »
teemto, from what you're reporting, the R3 seems nearly identical to the R2 release of this title - with DTS, without some commentaries, missing Michael J. Fox enhanced conversation.

Even the packaging is the same as the R2!
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2003 at 12:46 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #36 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 10:19 AM »
Teemto, thanks a lot for the info.  They should have deferred the release of this set.  Very irresponsible  >:(
We deserve better.

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 10:50 AM »
Yeah Mr. Hankey.... it is identical to the R2 and, I think, R4 release... which really wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the framing errors...

Perhaps someone can contact Magna for their comments on disc replacement for this title?

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 03:05 PM »
Okay, guys my results of the DTS vs. Dolby Digital comparison for the BTTF discs are in...

It's DTS by a landslide!!!

I tested the DTS and the Dolby Digital tracks of Back to the Future I and II, on select scenes (Johnny B. Goode number, Marty Going Back to 1985 in the thunderstorm, Griff and the Gang hoverboarding into the clock tower, etc.) and the difference is huge...

The DTS track's sounds are much sharper, the acoustics are excellent, and the way the environment envelopes you is fantastic...the orchestra in the score just comes alive! The Dolby Digital 5.1 track, while certainly competent, undoubtedly pales in comparison...No wonder R1 reviewers only gave the dolby digital track decent marks....

There are some titles where the Dolby Digital track's quality is not too far from the DTS (i.e. Roger Rabbit, etc.)... this is not one of them...it's just my opinion, but this track is definitely worth the lost features...

Now, I'm not an audiophile by any means, but the sound difference here was a no-brainer. Compared to the DTS, the dialogue of the DD 5.1 sounds hollow and boxy. From loud bombastic scenes (Back to 1985 in the thunderstorm), to musical numbers (Johnny B. Goode),  to quiet speaking scenes (Lorraine hitting on Marty in her Bedroom)... the DTS track was the clear winner in every aspect.

I even turned the volume down when I used the DTS track (bec. it's usually louder than the DD 5.1) and the difference in clarity was still painfully obvious...

Ok, despite the cheap casing, lack of inserts, and lack of some special features...this DTS track is definitely worth a look...

Now if only we could get magna's confirmation to replace the misframed parts II and III, I'll be as happy as a clam...

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jul 01, 2003 at 10:05 AM »
Okay, guys my results of the DTS vs. Dolby Digital comparison for the BTTF discs are in...

It's DTS by a landslide!!!

I tested the DTS and the Dolby Digital tracks of Back to the Future I and II, on select scenes (Johnny B. Goode number, Marty Going Back to 1985 in the thunderstorm, Griff and the Gang hoverboarding into the clock tower, etc.) and the difference is huge...

The DTS track's sounds are much sharper, the acoustics are excellent, and the way the environment envelopes you is fantastic...the orchestra in the score just comes alive! The Dolby Digital 5.1 track, while certainly competent, undoubtedly pales in comparison...No wonder R1 reviewers only gave the dolby digital track decent marks....

There are some titles where the Dolby Digital track's quality is not too far from the DTS (i.e. Roger Rabbit, etc.)... this is not one of them...it's just my opinion, but this track is definitely worth the lost features...

Now, I'm not an audiophile by any means, but the sound difference here was a no-brainer. Compared to the DTS, the dialogue of the DD 5.1 sounds hollow and boxy. From loud bombastic scenes (Back to 1985 in the thunderstorm), to musical numbers (Johnny B. Goode),  to quiet speaking scenes (Lorraine hitting on Marty in her Bedroom)... the DTS track was the clear winner in every aspect.

I even turned the volume down when I used the DTS track (bec. it's usually louder than the DD 5.1) and the difference in clarity was still painfully obvious...

Ok, despite the cheap casing, lack of inserts, and lack of some special features...this DTS track is definitely worth a look...

Now if only we could get magna's confirmation to replace the misframed parts II and III, I'll be as happy as a clam...

I'm thinking of getting the R3 version, would you say it's a good buy? what's with the framing errors, is it really that bad and noticable?

Offline art00

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 01, 2003 at 07:35 PM »
I"ve viewed all 3 discs na, and I did not really notice any "framing" errors even when compared to the screenshots in the other thread.  Perhaps, I wasn't looking closely enough, or maybe these errors were not that noticeable when viewed on a PC, I'm not really sure.

Even if these were, indeed, present, I don't think these detracted from the movie experience that much.

I would say that at P750 per disc, the Reg 3 set is worth it.  I have no regrets buying it at all.  All IMHO, of course.

art00

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 12:09 AM »
art00, jpadua, no, the framing errors aren't that noticeable, but there are a number of scenes that stick out that have way too much room at the top of the frame and not enough at the bottom....and many shots are way too zoomed in. If this doesn't bother you, and you'd just love to see the movies and would like great DTS sound, then the R3s are for you! Back to the Future is a great set in any format...enjoy!

FYI: The People Who Are Wondering What these R3 misframe issues are all about....

But if you're an OC like me (when it comes to dvds), and the mere knowledge of the misframing comes back to haunt you even if it really isn't that noticeable, then you might want to spend your dough on a corrected R1 set...

art00, in my copy, I referenced two examples of scenes in back to the future 2:

1. In Chapter 3, 0:08:34, Where Doc presses the button on the jacket on Marty's future jacket to make it fit. If you look at the pics posted on PAGE 2 of the back to the future thread on R1 releases section of Pinoydvd http://www.pinoydvd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=27;action=display;threadid=4015;start=20it clearly shows in the original LASERDISC WS image that Doc's hand and the jacket and button are visible. In the DVD WS image, this is cropped nearly entirely out of the frame.

2. In Chapter 16, 1:30:33, Marty makes the transfer on the hoverboard from the DeLorean to Biff's car...you'll notice how nearly every shot in this sequence on dvd barely shows the hoverboard, although in the original feature it was very prominent. At the time indicated, the hoverboard is completely cropped out of the frame at the most vital moment---the transfer...Again, if you compare the DVD WS framing to the Laserdisc WS framing on the page I indicated above, this should not be the case.

Now, if anyone has got the R3, and these errors are NOT on the disc, please do let us know, so we can have ours replaced!!! Thank you...

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2003 at 12:14 AM by teemto »

Offline art00

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 12:49 PM »
teemto:

** Thanks for the additional info.  I just revisited the scene you mention (Chapter 3, 0:8:34) and you are right: Doc's hand is entirely cropped out of the frame.  But, it does not really bother me.

** I'm just glad that I'm now able to enjoy these movies again about 15 years after I first saw them on the big screen (passed on the VHS and LD versions).  As I said earlier, these framing errors might be there but, in my opinion, they do not take away from the experience that much.

** God Bless!

art00

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 05:41 PM »
aww man! not another r3 DVD with screw-ups!

first animatrix, now this! >:( the back to the future movies are my favorite movies of all time!

i'm starting to hate to live in this region...  :P

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 07:03 PM »
animated, look on the bright side, more often than we've had defects we've had additional DTS tracks on R3s that were not originally included in the R1... Red Dragon, BTTF 1 (without cropping problems), Monsters Inc., etc...usually region 1 discs reserve that space for French or Spanish 5.1 tracks... =)

Hope someone can give us the contact nos. of magna so we can protest the misframing issue...firewired, anyone? Mods? Any word from them?

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 08:19 PM »
animated, look on the bright side, more often than we've had defects we've had additional DTS tracks on R3s that were not originally included in the R1... Red Dragon, BTTF 1 (without cropping problems), Monsters Inc., etc...usually region 1 discs reserve that space for French or Spanish 5.1 tracks... =)

point taken, teetmo. :)

it's just that i feel like this region (or maybe just this country) is being neglected or something (or just plagued with really awful localization <cough, cough, VIVA cough, cough!>).

i mean, the others are right, it's been a couple of months since the r1 copies were fixed and then they give us the wrong ones. what' up with that?  ???

i just want to buy DVDs without any glitches, missing subtitles/features, misframing, and other crap! is that too much to ask?  ;D

maybe i'm just too OC...  ::)

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 04, 2003 at 03:14 PM »
point taken, teetmo. :)

it's just that i feel like this region (or maybe just this country) is being neglected or something (or just plagued with really awful localization <cough, cough, VIVA cough, cough!>).

i mean, the others are right, it's been a couple of months since the r1 copies were fixed and then they give us the wrong ones. what' up with that?  ???

i just want to buy DVDs without any glitches, missing subtitles/features, misframing, and other crap! is that too much to ask?  ;D

maybe i'm just too OC...  ::)

I share in your sentiments.  Sad to admit, but this country and like it are dumping garbage dumps by first world countries.  Medicines, Jap surplus, recon buses/generators.  Why not DVDs?  Consumer activism and protection is very strong in developed countries.  Not so in the thrid world.

Offline ravencreed

• Collector
  • DVD ENTHUSIAST
  • Liked:
Re:Back to the Future Trilogy
« Reply #47 on: Jul 07, 2003 at 04:38 PM »
Hey guys, this are to those who have purchased the R3 of the "Back to the Future" trilogy. I took the time of calling up Magnavision today and was able to talk to CAROL who is in-charge of the dvd realease here. And it seem she is not aware of the misframing error of disc 2 & 3 (and  really doesn't know what a misframing error really is). So to those who have bought, please e-mail her (she was kind enough to give me her e-mail add), and kindly explain to her the problem and your personal details.
Can you also please guide her to the website which tackles this problem so can fully understand the situation.

[email protected]

Tinanong nya kasi ako kung saan ako bumili, kaso di nga ako bumili becoz nga of the problem. Pangit naman yata na nag-rereklamo ako tapos di naman ako bumili. ;D But im planning to buy if they sort-out the problem, coz I think the R3 is better release than the R1, hence nga lang the misframing. :(
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2003 at 04:39 PM by ravencreed »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #48 on: Jul 08, 2003 at 12:23 AM »
Carol is the head of  Marketing of Magnavision. She's pretty influential there and is the best person to contact regarding their releases. She has a direct line to the studios which means your complaints will probably reach the right people.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 08, 2003 at 01:57 AM »
Ok, I sent a letter and have pasted it below for anyone who would like to use it as a template for their own... just add your own info and rants, but play nice, because we are trying to persuade them to do something for us...

Dear Ms. Carol,

My name is _________, I’m a customer who bought your copy of Magnavision’s Back to the Future R3 3-disc set. I purchased it a couple of weeks ago at Astrovision FIlinvest. I was dismayed to find that even your copies were victims of the Misframing Errors that plagued Universal in its release of the R1, R2 and R4 versions late last year.

Now you’re probably wondering, what are these Misframing Errors that you’re hearing so much about? Apparently when Universal first mastered Back to The Future (BTTF) parts 2 and 3, they made a mistake in framing the widescreen section of the picture, and the result is that the picture is slightly too zoomed in and cropped at the bottom. Although it may at first not be very noticeable, fans of the films realized that in some shots very important information was cut out of the viewing area because of the misframing problem.

For a more specific description of the misframing error present in all BTTF widescreen dvd releases worldwide, check the link below:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=10e7810d4d506e475cdf46fbba831850&threadid=140414"

Fans noticed this mistake and brought it to the attention to Universal. Worldwide, Universal the company admitted to the mistake and have since agreed to issue corrected versions of the two discs to anyone who purchased the misframed versions and requested the new ones. This problem was already well known and documented by January 2003. I don’t understand why the R3 copies Universal provided Magnavision in June 2003 are still the misframed versions. Perhaps they believed they could unload the rejects on the Philippines, I don’t know.

For an example of how the misframing problem looks, check the link below:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112569

The pics at the top of the page compare the new R2 dvd widescreen framing to the old Laserdisc widescreen framing. In the first pair, you can clearly see Doc. Brown’s hand pressing the button on Marty’s jacket in the Laserdisc version, but this info is clearly cropped out in the dvd. The other pair clearly show the scene and the hoverboard in the Laserdisc, but crop everything out in the dvd. These are only two examples of several misframing problems that occur throughout Back to the Future 2 and 3 dvd versions, and altogether I, and many other fans, find these versions unacceptable.

The errors documented on the pics are also present on your current R3 version. I can send you the specific time code information if you would like to check the frames on the dvd yourself.

Having purchased your copy of the R3 Back to the Future dvd set, I would like to request that Magnavision replace my Back to the Future 2 & 3 discs with the corrected versions that Universal is currently offering at their regional offices. I will gladly send you my misframed discs if corrected ones are available. If you ask them, they most probably already aware of this problem, because it affected all versions of the dvd worldwide.

I have always supported original local R3 releases, and would like to continue to patronize Magnavision titles, particularly in the dvd format. Many local dvd fans would like to buy the R3 version of Back to the Future because it has DTS audio, but hesitate to because they are not sure they will get the corrected versions in the end. If you can assure us that you will replace our misframed discs, I’m sure you’ll be seeing even more sales of this title.

Offline kawboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #50 on: Jul 10, 2003 at 06:48 PM »
 :) guys, any update on this one?  :)

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 11, 2003 at 01:13 AM »
Sent my mail some time ago... no reply yet.
If there's anyone in touch with Magnavision, could you please update us if they're aware of the problem?

Or at least post a contact number we can use to air our complaints...thanks!

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 12, 2003 at 07:01 PM »
It turns out there was something wrong with my email... so I sent another letter out to Magna last thursday, and they replied promptly with this:

--------------------
Dear Mr. De los Reyes,

We want to thank you for your email concerning the Back to the Future DVD.

We have already forwarded your message to the people from Universal Pictures regarding your comments on the errors found on the disc of Back to the Future 2 and 3.

They are looking into your complaint and would get back to us on how to replace the damage dvd's.

Thank you once again for your time to bring this matter to us.  We greatly appreciate your letter.

Hoping for your continued patronage of R3 DVD's.

best regards,

carol
--------------------

It looks like Carol's on top of this matter... If Universal holds their end up, we should be getting R3replacement info soon. Hooray for BTTF R3s with DTS!!! I'll keep you guys posted if there are any updates.

Offline ravencreed

• Collector
  • DVD ENTHUSIAST
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 22, 2003 at 06:41 PM »
updates_
i had called miss carol today, and she said that most probably by two weeks time they will have by then the corrected version region 3 stock.

she also said that to those who have e-mailed her, they will be duly notified by e-mail

Offline toyfanatic

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • "ExEpTiOnAl ClArItY"
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jul 22, 2003 at 08:29 PM »

if ever they release the corrected version of the R3, When?

And i'd still go for the R1, packaging wise R1 is much presentable...just my two cents

Offline ravencreed

• Collector
  • DVD ENTHUSIAST
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 23, 2003 at 11:50 AM »

And i'd still go for the R1, packaging wise R1 is much presentable...just my two cents

think you have a point there... since there is really no big difference regarding their prices ;)

Offline ryu

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re:Back to the Future Trilogy, R3 vs R1
« Reply #56 on: Jul 23, 2003 at 11:57 AM »
So, it boils down to

R1 Good packaging , no DTS
R3 DTS, not so good packaging

I also would like to know the opinion of others,
what will you choose? help  ???

Offline d-mark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • rock on
  • Liked:
Re:Back to the Future Trilogy, R3 vs R1
« Reply #57 on: Jul 23, 2003 at 01:36 PM »
So, it boils down to

R1 Good packaging , no DTS
R3 DTS, not so good packaging

I also would like to know the opinion of others,
what will you choose? help  ???

r1 includes commentary   ;D

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #58 on: Jul 23, 2003 at 01:47 PM »

well if good audio is impt to u dts ofcors!...get the r3 release!....its worth it.....im planning to get it this comin payday..... ::)

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #59 on: Jul 24, 2003 at 02:28 PM »
Great updates.  I'm sure a lot of people are holding off on buying the set until they're sure that the ones on sale are the corrected versions.  But how will we know whether the DVDs on sale are the corrected ones?  ???
We deserve better.