Author Topic: 3D Media Player  (Read 9375 times)

Offline GTdiver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
3D Media Player
« on: Jun 13, 2011 at 09:40 AM »
I'm new to the 3D technology.  I need help on choosing the right 3D media player to buy. 

Aside from the popcorn hour A210, can anyone recommend another 3D media player?  The cheaper the better.

If you can site the reason on you recommendation then the better.  I have no clue on this.  I only know that I need an HD 1.4 cable.

Thanks

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: 3D Media Player
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM »
Sorry for the double post! It was unintentional. Had internet problems that time. Mods please delete one post. Thanks

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM »
Almost every media player now can play back 3D MKV files.

The difference with the Popcorn Hour is that it supports the official Matroska standard for properly making one without going through a lot of caveats like manually switching the 3D display to right mode (2D, 3D SBS, 3D TAB).

This means if you have a 3D MKV file, the media player will send the proper signaling via HDMI across the chain to tell the 3D display to switch to the proper mode (Side by side or Top and Bottom). This doesn't need HDMI 1.4

There is currently no media player that can handle true 3d bluray backups. This requires the player to be able to decode 2 x 1080p streams (also called 4k resolution). The current set of media players can only output 2 x 720p streams + HD Audio.

If you require HD Audio capability, you will also need an AVR that supports "3D HDMI Passthrough mode" without it, you're limited to just playing back standard Dolby & DTS audio tracks within the movie.

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM »
Almost every media player now can play back 3D MKV files.

The difference with the Popcorn Hour is that it supports the official Matroska standard for properly making one without going through a lot of caveats like manually switching the 3D display to right mode (2D, 3D SBS, 3D TAB).

This means if you have a 3D MKV file, the media player will send the proper signaling via HDMI across the chain to tell the 3D display to switch to the proper mode (Side by side or Top and Bottom). This doesn't need HDMI 1.4

There is currently no media player that can handle true 3d bluray backups. This requires the player to be able to decode 2 x 1080p streams (also called 4k resolution). The current set of media players can only output 2 x 720p streams + HD Audio.

If you require HD Audio capability, you will also need an AVR that supports "3D HDMI Passthrough mode" without it, you're limited to just playing back standard Dolby & DTS audio tracks within the movie.

Thanks!! 

Does this mean that if i download a 3d movie i can store it on my USB and play it directly on my tv?  Can you recommedn a player aside from popcorn hour, also a place where i can audition it. :)

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 01:16 PM »
Depends on TV.

What model 3D TV do you use?

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 01:35 PM »
I'm using LG 42PW350...

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 01:51 PM »
Yes it should play.

Put the file in a USB hard drive and plug it in.

When the movie starts, you have to press the 3D mode on the remote.

The only problem is that the LG TVs don't have internal DTS decoding so there will be no audio.

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 05:02 PM »
Oh that sucks!! I'd be watching a silent movie. But i'll try anyway while i have no media player yet.

Offline trigo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 04:53 PM »
my xtreamer can't play 3D mkv, like it shows them side by side even when i trigger the 3D function of the TV, did i miss anything?

i have xtreamer latest firmware and samsung plasma 3DTV

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 05:45 PM »
Yes there's 2 methods... Side by Side and Top to Bottom.

Your MKV must coincide to the spec your TV supports. If you had a SBS (Side by Side) 3d MKV and it didn't work, you have to check if your TV only supports TAB (Top and Bottom) 3D MKV files.

Offline trigo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 05:50 PM »
my tv specs doesn't say so...  any idea what samsung plasma 3d is?

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 05:51 PM »
Sowee no idea.

The 3D TV I have access to doesn't reside in my house so medyo bitin pa knowledge ko :)

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2011 at 08:19 AM »
Ohh ok!  So you first need to find out if its side by side or top to bottom.  I was wondering what that feature was for.  Is it just trial and error?  I only use 2d to 3d.

I'll try using my USB, then update this thread.

Scifi-fan,  Don't you think using an HDMI 1.3 cable will lessen the 3d depth?  I think it might, cause if not, then what is the 1.4 HDMI cable for?  Please enlighten me on this.

Thanks Sir!

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2011 at 09:41 AM »
HDMI 1.4 introduced a ethernet channel as well as ARC (Audio Return channel) and support for sending 2 x 1080p streams (also called 4k resolution).

You only need a HDMI 1.4 cable if it's attached to other devices that also support 1.4. and that means only a 3D capable AVR as well as a 3D standalone BD player.

3D MKVs are only 720p x 2 (one for each eye) so it's small enough to use HDMI 1.3

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM »
scifi-fan - Thanks for the explanation Sir.  Big Help. 

No i can conclude that I am not limited to getting Popcorn hour a210 and I can opt for a better value media player.

Thanks again

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM »
scifi-fan - Thanks for the explanation Sir.  Big Help. 

No i can conclude that I am not limited to getting Popcorn hour a210 and I can opt for a better value media player.

Thanks again

Yes... all the PCH will offer you is a more seamless solution meaning it will send the HDMI commands to tell your TV to switch to/from 3D mode when it plays a 3DMKV file according to the Matroska standard.

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 08:34 AM »
I was able to download an Imax film and it played on the TV via USB, 3D and at 1080p.

Thanks for the tip Sir!!  :D :D

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 09:37 AM »
Now this got me confused again....

If the TV can play it in 3D and in 1080p then what's the use of buying a media player?

Why don't i just buy and External Hard drive and watch the movies from there??

...well i haven't tried connecting my TV to my HT.  Therefore I dunno if it can decode in DTS or 5.1...  Is that the only reason for the media player?

Thanks

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 09:44 AM »
Ha ha ha.

There have been media player capabilities in TVs for the past 2-3 years however it's only been recent that they finally legitimately recognized that matroska is the leading container for them. In the past it's been AVI and Divx.

So now you're asking about the audio.

Of course TVs only have 2 speakers so they can't output more than than. That's where AVRs come in.

The big difference with LG and Samsung is that Samsung TVs have optical out capability and you can see it in the front bezel of Samsung TVs that they have licensed DTS and Dolby in the TV itself.

Without it, you'll need a AVR with 3D capability (HDMI 1.4) so that the TV can send the HD audio back to the AVR via ARC (Audio return Channel).

Medyo gumugulo na ha ha ha.

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM »
Haha!  Yeah its raising a lot of questions.  Haha

My TV also has an audio out via optic cable but not sure if it can decode DTS.  This i'll try again when i get the chance to set it up.

I was amazed that the 3d movie was able to play via USB. Now i want to try if the movie is in an external hard drive.  Do you think that will work?  Some say no because the external is too slow. ..but if it does work then no need for a media player. :)

Thanks dude

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM »
What's the full name of the 3D 1080p file that you were able to play directly via the TV?

Thanks

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM »
Haha!  Yeah its raising a lot of questions.  Haha

My TV also has an audio out via optic cable but not sure if it can decode DTS.  This i'll try again when i get the chance to set it up.

I was amazed that the 3d movie was able to play via USB. Now i want to try if the movie is in an external hard drive.  Do you think that will work?  Some say no because the external is too slow. ..but if it does work then no need for a media player. :)

Thanks dude

At this point, you're our beta tester kasi there's not a lot of PDVDers who have 3D setups (you lucky dog).

The only problem with USB external drives is sometimes the USB port of the TV can't handle the power requirements of the HD. If you use an external drive that has it's own power source then it should be ok.

Your next issue is probably compatibility with HD that are formatted using NTFS to get around the pesky limitation of 4GB file sizes on FAT32.

Again, if your TV was released within the past 6 months then it's probably able to recognize your HD.

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM »
@ Scifi i'm about to test it with a powered 1.5gb external hard drive.  will update.. but i do hope it works...
...but you got me asking another question... hahahaha...

Will it play with a USB powered external Hard drive... I don't have that and thats what i was planning to buy.. Haha.

Since its a long weekend I may be able to link it to my HT and see if it decodes DTS or Dolby 5.1. :)

@clondalkin

I played IMAX dolphins and whales.. 1080p video, not sure about the audio.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM »
@clondalkin
I played IMAX dolphins and whales.. 1080p video, not sure about the audio.

Paki write down later yung full file name para ma-identify kung anong klaseng 3D encode..thank you.
(does the file name mention FULL SBS, or FRAME SEQUENTIAL, or TOP TO BOTTOM..etc.)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #24 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 01:57 PM »
A good file to test would be IMAX: Hubble 3D kasi maliit lang ang filesize.

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 04:26 PM »
Paki write down later yung full file name para ma-identify kung anong klaseng 3D encode..thank you.
(does the file name mention FULL SBS, or FRAME SEQUENTIAL, or TOP TO BOTTOM..etc.)

I'll check but its side by side

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 04:27 PM »
A good file to test would be IMAX: Hubble 3D kasi maliit lang ang filesize.

Ok i'll look for this...

Thanks

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 19, 2011 at 08:16 AM »
Scifi-fan i played a DTS 3d movie via external. Video came out but sound didn't. I tried connecting my tv via optic cable to my DTS amp but still no sound. How can i play DTS videos on my LG tv that doesn't support DTS? No chance if i don't have a media player??

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM »
Try pressing Menu > Audio and look for the setting to turn off the speaker of the TV.

That should send all audio out to the digital output port that's attached to your HTIB or AVR setup.

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jun 20, 2011 at 05:24 PM »
Try pressing Menu > Audio and look for the setting to turn off the speaker of the TV.

That should send all audio out to the digital output port that's attached to your HTIB or AVR setup.

i don't think LG has that option. :( asked arthur of sns and he said i need a media player. :( looks like i got no choice but to get an NMT.