Author Topic: NBA 2012 Season  (Read 488746 times)

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
NBA 2012 Season
« on: Jun 13, 2011 at 01:20 PM »
what awaits kaya in the 2012 season?

how long will the dan gilbert curse hold? ::)
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2011 at 06:33 AM by pao9307 »

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NBA 2011 Offseason and/or Impending Lockout
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 01:29 PM »
I'm just going to shoot from the hip and throw my 2 cents even though I know next to nothing about the details.

I think the players just need to suck it up and concede that the owners are hurting. This is still a recession, and everybody has to make sacrifices. I don't see any other way for the next season to push through. I'm sure they can make do with a couple less thousand dollars per pay day. But that's just me.

Offline pao9307

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 01:35 PM »
ako naging TS?  ;D

isn't this lockout thing too selfish,on both ends?aren't they making enough money (owners and players) as it is?  ???

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 01:43 PM »
Probably true. But I'm inclined to say that the players are in a better position to give way more than the owners because as far as I know, they haven't lost much during the recession. Which is not necessarily true for the owners.

I'm just basing this on a line Magic Johnson said once that he thought the new generation of players are a tad overpaid and aren't working as hard as the players of his generation.

Offline pao9307

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 01:48 PM »
a tad overpaid is putting it very lightly. :D

imagine what you could do with Joe Johnson's salary.  ::)

well,hope they resolve it asap,kundi ang talo talaga dito e yung nba fans like us. :P

Offline Gob_Loves_Sony

• DVD Addict
  • If isn't sony, it ain't worth it
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 02:30 PM »
nangangamoy shortened season n nman yan just like nun 1999..

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 03:18 PM »
nangangamoy shortened season n nman yan just like nun 1999..

much better kesa naman wala..  ;)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 03:19 PM »
Stern is a businessman, with NBA ratings so high in this playoffs, I doubt if theyll impede this opportunity by a lockout.

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 03:24 PM »
pano ba mangyayari sa existing contracts between players and owners if the teams' owners had their way in reducing the salary cap? magkakaroon ba ng bagong contract ang mga players to adjust to the new cap?

Offline iammarcotoo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 03:42 PM »
I'm just going to shoot from the hip and throw my 2 cents even though I know next to nothing about the details.

I think the players just need to suck it up and concede that the owners are hurting. This is still a recession, and everybody has to make sacrifices. I don't see any other way for the next season to push through. I'm sure they can make do with a couple less thousand dollars per pay day. But that's just me.

i agree somehow...but i think this should just apply to new contracts. It's unfair like for LeBron (even though i hate him) that he signed x amount of dollars over x number of years last yr then all of a sudden it would be changed (as the new CBA proposes significant changes in new and current contracts)

I kinda like the franchise tag rule being proposed for the CBA as well....

To close, i just don't want a shortened/no season for the NBA....especially now that many teams are contending for titles...

Offline HDMI

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 03:48 PM »
But isn't it that its the owners themselves who brought about the problem of over-paying players? I think some owners were outbidding each other based on the player's history of performing well and his potential in the years to come?

Offline Gob_Loves_Sony

• DVD Addict
  • If isn't sony, it ain't worth it
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 04:10 PM »
much better kesa naman wala..  ;)

eto un biglang sulpot si vince carter ska paul pierce...lugi pala sa games played tong dalawang to...dagdag sana sa stats nila if they played 40 more games nun panahon n yun...dagdag highlights sna kay vinsanity..hehehe...

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 05:22 PM »
i hear they had already started with the talks to prevent the lockout..

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 06:35 PM »
But isn't it that its the owners themselves who brought about the problem of over-paying players? I think some owners were outbidding each other based on the player's history of performing well and his potential in the years to come?

Exactly true. They need protection from themselves.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 07:05 PM »
The pre-Global Financial Crisis mentality is "Why regulate? We're making too much money!" Now them rich white boys are scrambling to stop the money hemorrage.

but i think this should just apply to new contracts. It's unfair like for LeBron (even though i hate him) that he signed x amount of dollars over x number of years last yr then all of a sudden it would be changed (as the new CBA proposes significant changes in new and current contracts)

Hard to argue with this though.

Offline toughthrone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2011 at 07:22 PM »
i think the players are way overpaid. that's just me though. instead of setting a high max salary, why not make it reasonable, like max 10 or 15M per year, then just give incentives for stuff such as making the playoffs, being an allstar, or % of profits for sold merchandise. that way the owners are not committed to shell out 25M or so a year to someone who can suddenly not show up or is just injured. IMHO.

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 05:58 AM »
ok im over NBA 2010-2011  ;D Now I hope the lockout wont happen tho as of now its still looking like its going to happen. 

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #17 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 06:22 AM »
Hope also there'll be no lockout or games lost. Otherwise, next year's champion might have that asterisk beside its name. With Lebron's luck, it could be Miami.  :)

In other off-season news:

* Dwight Howard wants to become a free agent after next season if Orlando does not win the title (LINK)

* Lots of trade interest in Monta Ellis (LINK)

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2011 at 06:23 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 06:52 AM »
Hope also there'll be no lockout or games lost. Otherwise, next year's champion might have that asterisk beside its name. With Lebron's luck, it could be Miami.  :)

In other off-season news:

* Dwight Howard wants to become a free agent after next season if Orlando does not win the title (LINK)

* Lots of trade interest in Monta Ellis (LINK)

Howard's announcement may raise possibility that he'll be traded if Orlando feels he'll walk away through free agency.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 07:37 AM »
i doubt the LOCK OUT will push through, i sure both parties will agree to certain terms and condition and proceed with the tournament.

Players movements will be very exciting as teams trade to strengthen and spice up their line ups.
i like to see Dwight Howard join the Lakers and CP3 joining the Knicks next season.

there's absolutely no walk in the park for the Miami HEAT (Hindi Effective Ang Tatlo).

Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 08:04 AM »
Medyo wala pa ako sa mood para sa lockout talk. NBA Draft muna.

Dime NBA Mock Draft 2.0

Following the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago and feedback from various individual workouts around the league, we can continue to fine-tune how the draft will play out after the top spot. In the second of many Dime mock drafts leading up to June 23, keep in mind that this is a combination of what we think teams should do and what we think they will do:

1. Cleveland (From L.A. Clippers) – Kyrie Irving
6-2, 180 lbs. PG
Duke, Fr.
With only an 11-game sample, Irving was able to display why he may be the best prospect in the entire draft. His combinations of vision, shooting and scoring are maybe the best we’ve seen since Chris Paul. With the franchise in need of a savior, Irving is the best guy to build around.

2. Minnesota – Derrick Williams
6-7, 210 lbs. SF/PF
Arizona, So.
Using his versatility all season long, Williams became a viable option for a top pick as an inside-outside threat. Not sure there is anyone in this draft that can bring to the table what he can. And with Ricky Rubio finally arriving in Minnesota, the T-Wolves could be looking at a major talent upgrade. Note: Don’t count out Cleveland making a play for this pick and snagging Williams.

3. Utah (From New Jersey) – Brandon Knight
6-4, 183 lbs. PG
Kentucky, Fr.
A few months into the season Knight was still a project. Since then, he became one of the most clutch players in the nation and proved to be a multi-faceted offensive threat. The Jazz need a new franchise point guard and a guy that can help them win, and Knight should be up for the job.

4. Cleveland – Enes Kanter
6-10, 250 lbs. C
Kentucky, Fr.
After lighting up the world in the U-18 games and the Nike Hoop Summit, Kanter became a hot name before arriving in Lexington last fall. Since then, the Turkish big has played zero basketball and become a bit of a mystery in this year’s draft. Cleveland could use another big body to pair with Irving for a killer pick and roll, and Kanter can step out and knock down jumpers.

5. Toronto – Jonas Valanciunas
6-10, 220 lbs. PF
Lithuania
Valanciunas is the best European prospect in the 2011 class. He has more of an American style game as a hustle player who excels in the paint. Once he fills out his body with strength he will be a very productive player. Pairing him with Andrea Bargnani and Ed Davis makes for a very dangerous and young frontcourt rotation in Toronto.

6. Washington – Kawhi Leonard
6-7, 225 lbs. SF
San Diego State, So.
Playing on the West Coast hurts when it comes to publicity, but Leonard has the athleticism and skill to make his name known. For a young Wizards team that needs utility guys that can do just about everything, Leonard is the perfect piece to add to the puzzle.

7. Sacramento – Kemba Walker
6-1, 172 lbs. PG
Connecticut, Jr.
Walker is the fastest player with the ball in this class, and has a knack at getting in the paint. He may not be a pure point guard, but as a basketball player, he is a tough winner that will excel in the NBA. A backcourt of Walker and Tyreke Evans would give Western Conference teams fits for days.

8. Detroit – Bismack Biyombo
6-9, 248 lbs. PF
Congo
You may not know who Biyombo is, but scouts are learning. He is a big-time athlete who can jump out of the building and protect the paint – two skills the Pistons are desperately in need of. He’s not the next Ben Wallace, but he’ll definitely bring his toughness.

9. Charlotte – Jan Vesely
6-11, 240 lbs. SF/PF
Czech Republic
Some see him as a small forward, others as a power forward, but either way Vesely is a big-time athlete that can shoot it with range. He will be a matchup nightmare once he adds some strength. And for a team that needs an influx of talent, Vesely brings just that.

10. Milwaukee – Alec Burks
6-6, 185 lbs. SG
Colorado, So.
Burks is a smooth operator on offense who gets to the free throw line like no other. He also rebounds the ball for his position very consistently, making him the best all-around shooting guard in this class. Milwaukee has said they’ll take the best player on the board, and Burks is it. He’ll make Bucks fans forget they ever had Michael Redd.

11. Golden State – Tristan Thompson
6-8, 225 lbs. SF/PF
Texas, Fr.
Thompson will be next in line of phenomenal Longhorn freshman to go one-and-done. He’ll also become the first Canadian drafted in the first round since Jamaal Magloire in 2000. What he brings to Golden State is a strong rebounder who also provides a physical presence in the paint to play alongside Andris Biedrins and David Lee.

12. Utah – Jimmer Fredette
6-3, 195 lbs. PG
BYU, Sr.
The Jimmer has been compared to Mark Price, Steve Nash, Stephen Curry, Dan Dickau, Luke Ridnour and Eddie House. In reality, he is one of the most unique prospects we have seen in a long time. His future is up to him. And if the Jazz can snag him at No. 12, he’ll become one of the NBA’s most marketable players.

13. Phoenix – Marcus Morris
6-8, 220 lbs. PF
Kansas, Jr.
Like most big men with a good jump shot, Morris falls in love with it often in games and becomes very guardable. At the next level, we’ll see how his skills can develop in an NBA system. If he drops to the Suns here, he’ll be a steal.

14. Houston – Chris Singleton
6-9, 210 lbs. SF
Florida State, Jr.
Singleton was easily the best overall defender in the country last season before injures shortened his season. He is very athletic and can guard multiple positions on the court, making him a perfect talent for the Rockets.

More:
http://dimemag.com/2011/06/dime-nba-mock-draft-2-0/2/

I like Enes Kanter, I hope falls to #11 :)
Enes Kanter 2010 Nike Hoop Summit highlights

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 08:34 AM »

there's absolutely no walk in the park for the Miami HEAT (Hindi Effective Ang Tatlo).

Effective naman ang Big 3 if only they knew  their roles well, and if they know how to play off the ball.

Prime example is the 2008 title winning big 3 of Boston.  They knew how to play off the ball (Pierce and Allen) and knew and acted their roles to the hilt (KG as defensive monster).

Sa Heat, ball dominating players sina Lebron at Wade, and Bosh is as soft as it comes, when it comes to defense.

Doesnt help too when you dont have help elsewhere.  Celtics had Rondo, Perkins, Allen, Posey and Powe all contributing that season  (even ring chaser Cassell and PJ Brown).

So Heat have to think what to do bout these guys  Bibby, Ilgaukas, Magloire, Howard and Dampier.   Thats a bunch of stiffs out there.  I hope they re-sign them all.  Go Riley!!!

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 08:58 AM »
I love how Dirk agreed to a pay cut just so Dallas can afford to get Cardinal and Mahinmi. Shows team oriented thinking on Dirk's part. He should serve as an example to the rest of the players of the league, but that's a long shot.

For reference:

Dallas Salaries
Lakers Salaries

Offline XanderCage

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 09:05 AM »
I love how Dirk agreed to a pay cut just so Dallas can afford to get Cardinal and Mahinmi. Shows team oriented thinking on Dirk's part. He should serve as an example to the rest of the players of the league, but that's a long shot.

For reference:

Dallas Salaries
Lakers Salaries

grabe naman sweldo ni kobe sa 2013-14!

$30.4M! dang!

Offline vortex1

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #24 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 09:18 AM »
parang katumbas ng 1-2 fights ni pacquiao yan.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 09:20 AM »
Effective naman ang Big 3 if only they knew  their roles well, and if they know how to play off the ball.

Prime example is the 2008 title winning big 3 of Boston.  They knew how to play off the ball (Pierce and Allen) and knew and acted their roles to the hilt (KG as defensive monster).

Sa Heat, ball dominating players sina Lebron at Wade, and Bosh is as soft as it comes, when it comes to defense.

Doesnt help too when you dont have help elsewhere.  Celtics had Rondo, Perkins, Allen, Posey and Powe all contributing that season  (even ring chaser Cassell and PJ Brown).

So Heat have to think what to do bout these guys  Bibby, Ilgaukas, Magloire, Howard and Dampier.   Thats a bunch of stiffs out there.  I hope they re-sign them all.  Go Riley!!!

he he tama k naman sir png ASAR lng un
Chalmers mgnada naman nilaro compared to BIBBY so i expect him to be the top point guard on Maimi next season.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 09:21 AM »
For roughly the same amount of money in the 2010-2011 season, Dallas has employed 19 players while Lakers can only have 15. If I were the Buss family, I'd be concerned that I'm not really getting as much bang for my buck. Especially since Lakers were swept by Dallas in the playoffs.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 09:25 AM »
Wala kwenta yan....

last two seasons ni MJ with Bulls, he was paid $30M and $33M respectively.   Adjust that to inflation and what have you got?

Pero sulit naman di ba?

My take...my god, these players must take a paycut in the next CBA!!

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 09:39 AM »
Everything is about chemistry. TEam USA was defeated in FIBA. Talent is not enough.

Re Mock draft: I think Jimmer Fredette's value will rise up as we get close to draft day.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #29 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM »
^ Read somewhere that this is going to be a pretty shallow or weak draft, and lots of teams might just deal away their picks.  But that Fredette guy from BYU looks like he's perfect for Utah.  The Jazz need a scoring guard too.

We deserve better.