Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 204980 times)

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NCAA / UAAP 2013
« on: Jun 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM »
After the NBA, malapit na naman ang collegiate basketball which, to me, is more exciting than the PBA!  In July, Season 87 na ng NCAA followed by Season 74 ng UAAP.

NCAA :  Seems like malakas pa rin ang defending champion San Beda Red Lions with the addition of Nigerian Ola Adeogun.  Top player Sudan Daniels is still injured.  Nawala na si top playmaker Borgie Hermida pero pumalit naman yun top guard na si Amer Baser na galing sa Juniors.  Next favorite is still the San Sebastian Stags.  Andun pa rin si Calvin "The Beast" Abueva!  Tingin ko eto pa rin ang sa finals.

UAAP :  Ateneo, with 6'11 Slaughter and guard Kiefer Ravena, is the heavy favorite.  Sobrang lakas!  Slaughter has an outside shot and moves very well.  Si Ravena, anak ni Bong, plays awesome and is now touted to be the future of the UAAP.  Dark horse is FEU and Adamson.  La Salle pwede na pero, tsk tsk, kulang sa players eh.

Let's cheer for our teams when the new season starts!
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2014 at 10:15 PM by sardaukar »

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2011
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 10:15 AM »
Ateneo is good, but not undefeatable. Their preseason game with DLSU was an embarrassment. I don't know if it was jetlag or what, but DLSU simply dismantled their offense and defense. Watching that game was just painful.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 10:27 AM »
Ateneo is good, but not undefeatable. Their preseason game with DLSU was an embarrassment. I don't know if it was jetlag or what, but DLSU simply dismantled their offense and defense. Watching that game was just painful.

DLSU is a well coached team!  Also watched the San Beda vs DLSU preseason game live at Filoil where San Beda won via a three point shot by Lanete.  But during that game, San Beda was leading all throughout pero hinabol ng DLSU and almost won had they executed the final play.  Galing din ng habol ng DLSU.

However, the loss of the Lions against Ateneo last Sunday was also painful >:(  Best game of Ateneo and worst game of San Beda.  Tambakekok!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM »
Here's a good website to follow the collegiate games:

http://www.inboundpass.com/

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 01:22 PM »
Fearless Forecast: Ateneo vs Adamson for the 2011 UAAP Finals.

NCAA: i dont like the way San Beda's approach to rule the NCAA by recruiting imports to play for their school.
its ok if they recruit talents from the provinces rather than getting these vehemonths from the States, etc.
thats unfair to the schools who doesnt have the budgets to recruit foreign players from other countries.

sobrang madaya may fil ams na, may negro pa.
this is only a collegiate tourney so it should be all filipino to give balance to the league.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2011 at 01:24 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 01:46 PM »
Fearless Forecast: Ateneo vs Adamson for the 2011 UAAP Finals.

NCAA: i dont like the way San Beda's approach to rule the NCAA by recruiting imports to play for their school.
its ok if they recruit talents from the provinces rather than getting these vehemonths from the States, etc.
thats unfair to the schools who doesnt have the budgets to recruit foreign players from other countries.

sobrang madaya may fil ams na, may negro pa.
this is only a collegiate tourney so it should be all filipino to give balance to the league.

Not only San Beda but some other schools as well like UP's Morian Gingerich (American), Ateneo's Kirk Long (American), La Salle's Indonesian Ferdinand, FEU's Noundou (Cameroonian).  NU has gotten yata the son of former import Bobby Parks.  And many more.  But the most scrutinized are the Nigerians, African Americans kasi nga sila lang yun talagang mukhang imported.  The rest like Kirk Long, hindi halatado.

The rule in the UAAP / NCAA is clear :  "A player is considered a foreigner in the NCAA/ UAAP if he doesn’t have a single trace of Filipino blood. The league rulebook states that each team can have a maximum of two foreigners on their 16-man roster but they cannot be fielded in at the same time. Foreigners should also serve a two-year residency or should have studied at least two consecutive years in the country before being allowed to suit up"    If they're legit players, they can play.

I think this is not a huge problem.  The bigger problem is some schools recruiting players na hindi naman talaga students meaning, talagang kinuha lang for the game.  Yun iba overage, tapos ni walang high school diploma then ginawang japeyks lang para makapagaral ng college at makapaglaro ng basketball. IMO, yun ang bawal kasi ma fraud involved.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 02:25 PM »
in my personal opinion, dpat higpitan un screening ng mga foreign players.
if they are really foreign students here and are already enrolled, they should be allowed to play.
Kirk Long has been in the Phil since his Faith Academy days so matagal na sya resident here, even in the PBA he should be an exemption to the rule sulit naman un stay ksi nya dto sa Pinas.
Un San Beda naman ksi its very obvious they have try outs in the States to select their import para mg aral at mglaro dto.
un anak naman ni Parks considered as Fil-am un so pwede na rin.

i just hope other schools can recruit from the provinces the likes of CALVIN ABUEVA, RR GARCIA, etc
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 02:26 PM »
Not only San Beda but some other schools as well like UP's Morian Gingerich (American), Ateneo's Kirk Long (American), La Salle's Indonesian Ferdinand, FEU's Noundou (Cameroonian).  NU has gotten yata the son of former import Bobby Parks.  And many more.  But the most scrutinized are the Nigerians, African Americans kasi nga sila lang yun talagang mukhang imported.  The rest like Kirk Long, hindi halatado.

The rule in the UAAP / NCAA is clear :  "A player is considered a foreigner in the NCAA/ UAAP if he doesn’t have a single trace of Filipino blood. The league rulebook states that each team can have a maximum of two foreigners on their 16-man roster but they cannot be fielded in at the same time. Foreigners should also serve a two-year residency or should have studied at least two consecutive years in the country before being allowed to suit up"    If they're legit players, they can play.

I think this is not a huge problem.  The bigger problem is some schools recruiting players na hindi naman talaga students meaning, talagang kinuha lang for the game.  Yun iba overage, tapos ni walang high school diploma then ginawang japeyks lang para makapagaral ng college at makapaglaro ng basketball. IMO, yun ang bawal kasi ma fraud involved.

I actually am for the addition of foreign players (student-athlete first!) playing in the collegiate leagues. Early on, local talents are exposed to taller, faster, better competition which forces them to learn and be better at basketball. If you argue for all filipino, then youre just stymying their growth. By having foreigners in the collegiate league (kung pwede high school nga) you actually prepare them to play against the behemoths in the PBA or international scene.

On the argument that locals are being deprived of playing time, if they were good in the first place then you have no worries about getting into the team. i.e. Kiefer Ravena. Even if he was competing against ray parks jr. in the same team, he'd still get playing time. Talent shines through whatever race, social class, etc.

I find it highly contradicting that some quarters want to exclude foreigners in the collegiate when we ourselves would want our young players to crack NCAA div. 1 schools in the US.

The rules in place are sufficient with regard to only 1 foreign on the floor and two max per team. The only question is, if they are student athletes or just recruited to play. Heck, some local players don't go to school at all yet somehow pass college and they even take up some obscure course "translation management" or pool management of sorts. haha. That point i think should be enforced. that athletes should be academically proficient, that foreign or local players are there to study and playing is incidental or added bonus for the university.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 02:33 PM »
if they are really foreign students here and are already enrolled, they should be allowed to play.
Kirk Long has been in the Phil since his Faith Academy days so matagal na sya resident here, even in the PBA he should be an exemption to the rule sulit naman un stay ksi nya dto sa Pinas.
Un San Beda naman ksi its very obvious they have try outs in the States to select their import para mg aral at mglaro dto.

i just hope other schools can recruit from the provinces the likes of CALVIN ABUEVA, RR GARCIA, etc

Kirk Long has been in the Philippines since 1992 if i'm not mistaken. He's actually more Filipino than some fil-ams that were recruited to play in the collegiate leagues.

I agree on the screening and determining if they were here to study in the first place.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 03:43 PM »

As one said, they should be student-athletes first and not athlete - students.  

Agree with the recruitment process of schools. San Sebastian had tremendous success two years ago when they won the NCAA crown over San Beda with an All Filipino Lineup led by Calvin "the Beast" Abueva.  So it's doable.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2011 at 03:44 PM by mattia »

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 03:52 PM »
Kung di ka makapagsalita ng Tagalog o kaya kahit anong dialect fluently, dehins ka Pinoy.

Kung di ka pumasa sa entrance exam, dehins ka studyante.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 03:58 PM »

On the argument that locals are being deprived of playing time, if they were good in the first place then you have no worries about getting into the team. i.e. Kiefer Ravena. Even if he was competing against ray parks jr. in the same team, he'd still get playing time. Talent shines through whatever race, social class, etc.

First time I saw Ravena play live last Sunday at the Filoil Arena.  This guy's got game.  I was so impressed (even If I rooted for the opposing team) that when I saw Bong the dad, I immediately congratulated and told him how good his son is ;D  Sabi ko kay Bong, "madami papahirapan yang anak mo Bong..."

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 04:16 PM »
First time I saw Ravena play live last Sunday at the Filoil Arena.  This guy's got game.  I was so impressed (even If I rooted for the opposing team) that when I saw Bong the dad, I immediately congratulated and told him how good his son is ;D  Sabi ko kay Bong, "madami papahirapan yang anak mo Bong..."

I was also at Fil-oil last sunday and i have seen live, Kiefer play against SBC twice. He's 5'11 and in the first game against SBC, coach frankie lim threw numerous defenders (taller) to try and stop him. he scored 24pts. that game. 

I also saw the game live when he requested that he guard Ray Parks and there was one fast break opportunity that he wanted to dunk to show off but Ray parks caught up and blocked him cleanly which resulted in a mid-air collision with bodies banging loudly against each other.  talk about talent and balls. If i'm not mistaken, he was voted as best forward in the last under 18 fiba-asia tournament and part of the mythical five of that tournament.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 04:21 PM »
I was also at Fil-oil last sunday and i have seen live, Kiefer play against SBC twice. He's 5'11 and in the first game against SBC, coach frankie lim threw numerous defenders (taller) to try and stop him. he scored 24pts. that game. 

I also saw the game live when he requested that he guard Ray Parks and there was one fast break opportunity that he wanted to dunk to show off but Ray parks caught up and blocked him cleanly which resulted in a mid-air collision with bodies banging loudly against each other.  talk about talent and balls. If i'm not mistaken, he was voted as best forward in the last under 18 fiba-asia tournament and part of the mythical five of that tournament.

I would assume you're an Eagle ;D  Good thing my Lions won't have to face your team.  Haha.  Good luck. 

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 05:18 PM »
I would assume you're an Eagle ;D  Good thing my Lions won't have to face your team.  Haha.  Good luck. 

Haha! yes sir! Good luck to your team's campaign in the NCAA as well.

btw, very good crowd support for SBC last sunday. Impressed with the balloons and the cheerleaders coming out to support your team.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 14, 2011 at 09:29 PM »
Haha! yes sir! Good luck to your team's campaign in the NCAA as well.

btw, very good crowd support for SBC last sunday. Impressed with the balloons and the cheerleaders coming out to support your team.

My son and I, unfortunately, got seated with Ateneans.  Eto dialogue ng Ateneans sa likod ko tungkol sa attendance:

"Pare, dami nakapula ah. Mas madami yata sa tin"
"E kasi di naman alam ng Ateneans kung asan ang San Juan! And walang parking eh"

It was a dream match since the last time this 2 met in a championship was way back in 1978, in a closed door match.  This was the time of Loyzaga, Frankie Lim, Yango, Guzman brothers for San Beda versus Ateneo's Israel, Carpio, Steve Watson.  San Beda won!  I was Grade 6 then. 

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2011 at 03:38 PM »
i wonder how this year's SAN BEDA team will fair now that Sudan Daniels is injured and that their newly recruited import is still serving the 1 year residence.
Should they win, then they will prove me and the critics wrong, but should they lose, then it can be concluded that they arent good enough w/o an import.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 29, 2011 at 04:55 PM »
i wonder how this year's SAN BEDA team will fair now that Sudan Daniels is injured and that their newly recruited import is still serving the 1 year residence.
Should they win, then they will prove me and the critics wrong, but should they lose, then it can be concluded that they arent good enough w/o an import.

my guess is they will struggle this time. They have a very good PG then in Hermida and the imports, i believe hermida is not playing anymore.

it pains me that UST after the four peat di na nakapag perform ng maganda kay pag UAAP basketball di na ako masyado an excite, nood lang without emotion.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #18 on: Jun 29, 2011 at 05:03 PM »
University Athletic Association of the Philippines 2011-2012 Season
Men's Basketball Games Schedule - ROUND 1 (SUBJECT TO CHANGE per ABS-CBN Sports)
Winning teams and scores are highlighted:

Sunday, July 10: Araneta Coliseum - 1:00 pm FEU vs DLSU | 3:00 pm ADMU vs AdU
    Thursday, July 14: Araneta Coliseum - 1:00 pm NU vs UST | 3:00 pm UE vs UP
    Saturday, July 16: Araneta Coliseum - 11:00 am AdU vs FEU | 3:00 pm DLSU vs ADMU
    Sunday, July 17: Araneta Coliseum - 1:00 pm UP vs NU | 3:00 pm UST vs UE
    Thursday, July 21: Araneta Coliseum - 1:00 pm ADMU vs NU | 3:00 pm FEU vs UE
    Saturday, July 23: Araneta Coliseum - 1:00 pm DLSU vs UP | 3:00 pm UE vs ADMU
    Sunday, July 24: Philsports Complex - 1:00 pm NU vs FEU | 3:00 pm UST vs AdU
    Thursday, July 28: Philsports Complex - 1:00 pm AdU vs UE | 3:00 pm NU vs DLSU
    Saturday, July 30: Araneta Coliseum - 1:00 pm UP vs ADMU | 3:00 pm UST vs FEU
    Sunday, July 31: Philsports Complex - 1:00 pm DLSU vs UE | 3:00 pm AdU vs NU
    Thursday, August 4: Araneta Coliseum - 1:00 pm UP vs FEU | 3:00 pm ADMU vs UST
    Saturday, August 6: Araneta Coliseum - 1:00 pm UE vs NU | 3:00 pm DLSU vs AdU
    Sunday, August 7: Araneta Coliseum - 1:00 pm UST vs UP | 3:00 pm FEU vs ADMU
    Thursday, August 11: Araneta Coliseum - 1:00 pm UP vs AdU | 3:00 pm UST vs DLSU

GO LA SALLE! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #19 on: Jun 29, 2011 at 06:20 PM »
I actually thought a few UAAP games would be played at the MOA Arena, since the SM conglomerate now owns NU and is part of the board.

Btw, the Parks kid may need to red shirt for another year.  Slaughter has been deemed eligible.  A few players have changed allegiances, too.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 29, 2011 at 06:48 PM »
if slaughter suites up and keifer ravena as well, it is very hard to beat Ateneo, Ravena is probabaly the best player at his age right now if not the best across the board. but like what they say, bilog ang bola so who knows.

sana naman makakuha ng UST ng blue chip player, puro corn chips player and meron sila eh.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 29, 2011 at 09:40 PM »
I actually thought a few UAAP games would be played at the MOA Arena, since the SM conglomerate now owns NU and is part of the board.

Btw, the Parks kid may need to red shirt for another year.  Slaughter has been deemed eligible.  A few players have changed allegiances, too.

The MOA Arena i think will be completed in May 2012. There are a lot of rumors as to who the foreign act will be opening it. (coldplay, nba preseason game, etc.) Seating capacity is around 14k. 20k SRO. Still a small place. I was hoping we'd have a really large venue so we could have U2 performing here. :D

Yeah, currently it seems that Ray parks would red shirt. But they've been given a week to produce more "papers" / documents. As to what they are, nobody in the public knows. Hopefully, he's allowed to play para kiefer vs. ray parks!

Hopefully on July 5, Ray parks and Greg Slaughter will be allowed to play!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 09:56 AM »

Tough luck for us Lions.  Sudan is injured but my sources say he will be allowed to play for a limited period only. So he will still play, contrary to reports.  Aside from that, San Beda has weakened in the No. 1 position sans the departure of Borgie Hermida.  Their new recruit, Amer Baser from the Cubs, was hit by viral infection yata and sobrang pumayat!  Now he is still recuperating and definitely not 100%.  There are other PGs - Caram, Pontejos & Lim but nobody fills up the slack left by Hermida. 

Very challenging year indeed, especially when other teams have bolstered their squad with foreigners.  Kahit ata San Sebastian may foreigner na din. 

But as our alma mater hymn says, "Bring out the challenges, and we'll win them all..." Go San Beda fight ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM »
my guess is they will struggle this time. They have a very good PG then in Hermida and the imports, i believe hermida is not playing anymore.

it pains me that UST after the four peat di na nakapag perform ng maganda kay pag UAAP basketball di na ako masyado an excite, nood lang without emotion.

i'm also from UST. it saddens me coz they havent done the proper recruitments to solidify their team in the past seasons?
kulang tlga sa BIG MEN plus an explosive point guard.
during my college days in UST we have the best players (home grown pa wlang IMPORTS or Fil-ams), halos lahat ng members reached the PBA, evangelista, bal david, edmund reyes, rudolf belmonte, tanquinsen, espino, cantonjos, etc.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM »
i'm also from UST. it saddens me coz they havent done the proper recruitments to solidify their team in the past seasons?
kulang tlga sa BIG MEN plus an explosive point guard.
during my college days in UST we have the best players (home grown pa wlang IMPORTS or Fil-ams), halos lahat ng members reached the PBA, evangelista, bal david, edmund reyes, rudolf belmonte, tanquinsen, espino, cantonjos, etc.

My wife and my brothers are from UST.  The last championship was versus Ateneo several years ago, right?  Ateneo was 1-0 and then UST pulled off a stirring back to back win.  Magaling na coach(and player) si Pido Jarencio.  But yes, kulang lang sa tao talaga. 

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 01:48 PM »
My wife and my brothers are from UST.  The last championship was versus Ateneo several years ago, right?  Ateneo was 1-0 and then UST pulled off a stirring back to back win.  Magaling na coach(and player) si Pido Jarencio.  But yes, kulang lang sa tao talaga. 

Yes UST played inspired basketball during Jarencio's rookie year as head coach.

Ateneo is dominating the league becoz of massive recruitments.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #26 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 03:23 PM »
Basketball observer here since the 80's ...... my humble 2-cents on above discussions:

** I too was not so high on SAN BEDA's recruitment of African-based players the past few years ..... same with DLSU's heavy Fil-Am recruitment during the 90's (Cortez, Cardona, Allado, Wilson, Castro, Ramos, Jose, etc) & to an extent ADMU (Alvarez, Cruz, etc).

It's all above-board & legal, but it just doesnt make for a level-playing field (La Salle even had Mike Gonzales then, a US-based player agent who scouts & recruits Filams).

I recall ADMU's Fr. Calauag writing an open-letter of sorts, years ago ..... his observations were that Filam player recruitment might send the wrong message & could displace equally-deserving homegrown players. He admitted that ADMU & a few other schools were active into the Filam recruitment.

** SAN BEDA's recent recruitment of African-based players had set a (bad?) precedent, as many other collegiate teams had followed suit.

I'm in no way a SAN BEDA basher .... I think that their local crew (sans the other players) is pretty solid & would still be among the contenders.

** UST had great results in the 90's via their UST-HS & regional-based recruitment. Aric Del Rosario (and FEU's past coaches) preferred Pampanguenos with a sprinkling of Visayas-based players.

UST & FEU (and UE) still pretty much gets players the same way ..... unfortunately, the other teams had notched up their own systems.

DLSU's Filam recruitment had waned through the years replaced by solid recruitment from mostly NCAA junior teams, elevating standout HS players (Maierhofer, Webb,etc) & recently, a very lucky coincidence of having then coach F.Pumaren, as a Phil Youth Team head coach.

ADMU meantime went several notches higher ...... strategic recruitment from great provincial based programs (Baclao, Slaughter, etc). 

As for NU having Ray Parks Jr ..... let's just say, that I dont think that Parks Jr. will shun a US NCAA Division I school, if the Paguia family were still running NU. Having the richest Filipino as owner, will do wonders for NU's athletic progams.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 04:10 PM »
Actually, this recruitment thing has been in the collegiate basketball since the 1970's.  Di na bago 'to.  FEU started it all by recruiting a pure american Anthony Williams that actually gave them 2 UAAP Championships in the early 70's.  Then DLSU recruited Willy Pearson in the early 80s naman.  Reason?  Hindi naman bawal kasi.  It is well within the rules of collegiate basketball. 

All participating schools want to win Championships, thats why they join, right? However, there are rules to follow.  And if schools like San Beda, La Salle, FEU or Ateneo are resourceful enough to work WITHIN THE EXISTING RULES, and get the right athletes for its programs, then they deserve their championships naman. The reality is, other schools follow anyway.  And kung sa tingin naman nila e hindi tama ang ganitong sistema, they can just refrain from doing it.  San Sebastian, for example, beat the Lions in 2009 with an All Filipino squad.  But I think Baste also recruited a foreigner for this season.

Again, hiring foreigners is not against the RULES. It is completely valid and legal.   In the US, schools get players from all over the world (including the Philippines); its allowed - and this is from a country with supposedly no dearth in athletes of all skill levels, shapes, sizes, etc.  So it's a universally accepted practice.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #28 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 04:21 PM »
^ Like I said in my earlier post, it's all above-board & legal ....... I dont think anyone here has claimed otherwise.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 04:53 PM »
I wasn't reacting to the legality issue since, like you said, nobody here is saying otherwise.

I would like to comment, however, on two issues that you mentioned.

It's all above-board & legal, but it just doesnt make for a level-playing field (La Salle even had Mike Gonzales then, a US-based player agent who scouts & recruits Filams). LET ME PARAPHRASE A COMMENT FROM A PDVD MEMBER :  "On the argument that locals are being deprived of playing time, if they were good in the first place then you have no worries about getting into the team. i.e. Kiefer Ravena. Even if he was competing against ray parks jr. in the same team, he'd still get playing time. Talent shines through whatever race, social class, etc. "

** SAN BEDA's recent recruitment of African-based players had set a (bad?) precedent, as many other collegiate teams had followed suit. OTHERS LIKE FEU AND DLSU HAVE BEEN RECRUITING SINCE THE EARLY 70'S AND 80'S. THIS IS NOTHING NEW.  I THINK IT WAS JUST MAGNIFIED BY SAN BEDA BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN WINNING.

I'm in no way a SAN BEDA basher .... I think that their local crew (sans the other players) is pretty solid & would still be among the contenders. SALAMAT AND SANA'Y MAGKATOTOO ;D!