Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205435 times)

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 368
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2012
« Reply #780 on: Oct 06, 2012 at 07:44 PM »
Like I keep saying, for UST to win it all, it has to go through the guards, specifically Jeric Fortuna ..... he has to score and create to keep the vaunted ADMU defense on it's heels.

Teng played a great game ..... I didn't expect that much production from him this game though. Norman Black has a knack for shutting down key persons during big games.

I would prefer a scoring Fortuna than a scoring Teng for these Finals ..... a scoring Fortuna means that he's hitting the long ball, driving the lanes and kicking out or drop-passing - probably the best way around that great ADMU defense.

Repeat '06 !    ;)

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #781 on: Oct 06, 2012 at 07:56 PM »
Tiongson just got the better of Fortuna in Game 1 and that spelled the difference while the outputs of the rest of their starting fives cancelled each another out.
Again i felt it was Buenafe's BIG TIME 4 pts play that really knocked out UST.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #782 on: Oct 06, 2012 at 07:59 PM »
Tiongson just got the better of Fortuna in Game 1 and that spelled the difference while the outputs of the rest of their starting fives cancelled each another out.
Again i felt it was Buenafe's BIG TIME 4 pts play that really knocked out UST.

And this might just boost Tiongson's confidence.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #783 on: Oct 06, 2012 at 11:22 PM »
Farewell gift of MVP to the Eagles (players and coaching staffs) for entering the finals, iPhone 5 at 42k per unit.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2012 at 11:25 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #784 on: Oct 06, 2012 at 11:34 PM »
Is mariano graduating? He and teng are really impressive..  UST did pretty well on slaughter, salva just had one of those good games.. Also, I think pido should let ferrer do his thing in offense, the kid can draw attention. Great game..
The Pats way...

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #785 on: Oct 07, 2012 at 12:22 AM »
What really blew UST was their third quarter, they were in disaray but recovered only in 4th. Salva had the good shots so he was the highlight, he really played well in this game. Abdul on the other hand played like a rookie incurring a lot of unnecessary fouls either they were from a bad call or just plain sloppy.

My bet withstood, Ravena wouldn't be a contributor in this game because he had a good one last time with La Salle. Ateneo's investment on Buenafe paid off a lot of times come crunch time. Kahit sobrang angas but he reminds me of Noli Locsin. Slaughter, nah he's just tall who can easily take a hoop before. Bantayan mo ng 2 wala na yun di na alam ang gagawin.

Well, it will depend on UST to comeback or else goodbye opportunity again. Mahusay at maliksi yung Ferrer, tingin ko malakas pa rin sila next year. Tingin ko it will be a big game next time by Ravena again.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #786 on: Oct 07, 2012 at 03:08 AM »
have faith in UST. parang '06 lang yan na natalo sila nung first game but came back to win back-to-back games and the championship.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #787 on: Oct 07, 2012 at 08:13 AM »
What really blew UST was their third quarter, they were in disaray but recovered only in 4th. Salva had the good shots so he was the highlight, he really played well in this game. Abdul on the other hand played like a rookie incurring a lot of unnecessary fouls either they were from a bad call or just plain sloppy.

My bet withstood, Ravena wouldn't be a contributor in this game because he had a good one last time with La Salle. Ateneo's investment on Buenafe paid off a lot of times come crunch time. Kahit sobrang angas but he reminds me of Noli Locsin. Slaughter, nah he's just tall who can easily take a hoop before. Bantayan mo ng 2 wala na yun di na alam ang gagawin.

Well, it will depend on UST to comeback or else goodbye opportunity again. Mahusay at maliksi yung Ferrer, tingin ko malakas pa rin sila next year. Tingin ko it will be a big game next time by Ravena again.

But Ravena did contribute his usual averages and his points came at crucial moments in the game. He may not have exploded like he did in the La Salle game but he had other important contributions.

Ferrer is really a pesky defender, what with his height, length and agility, he really would give anyone a hard time.

Salva, with a lesser defender in Mariano, had an easier time getting to the basket. He was left free most of the time.

Adjustments will have to be made by both teams. UST cannot rely on the fact that they can come back from double digit leads. It can happen most of the time but not every time. Ateneo will have to play defense from start to finish. They should not expect their opponents to just give up once the lead becomes big. Unlike last season, all the teams fight it out even to the last second this year.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #788 on: Oct 07, 2012 at 02:26 PM »
Ateneo showed the heart of a champion!

OBF!

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #789 on: Oct 07, 2012 at 10:04 PM »
That was what Pido was complaining about at the end but the replay showed that the ball was still in Teng's hands when the clock ran out. I guess that is the reason why the referees did not give Teng 3 free throws anymore. Even if there was a fraction of a second left there was no way UST was going to overcome a 5 point lead. In the spirit of sportsmanship, Pido should have just let it go. But I guess he was still sore at the foul called on Abdul against Ravena.

Sabi ni TJ may time left pa daw. 0.05 secs! unbelievable commentators in Boom and TJ.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #790 on: Oct 07, 2012 at 10:25 PM »
Sabi ni TJ may time left pa daw. 0.05 secs! unbelievable commentators in Boom and TJ.

It wont make a difference in the outcome of the ball game even if Teng was awarded three free throws so the refs just let go with a no call.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #791 on: Oct 07, 2012 at 10:48 PM »
Exactly, dapat di na sinabi ng commentators un, giving false hope pa sa mga fans na hindi nman masyado familiar sa rules..
The Pats way...

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #792 on: Oct 07, 2012 at 11:05 PM »
Exactly, dapat di na sinabi ng commentators un, giving false hope pa sa mga fans na hindi nman masyado familiar sa rules..

pero kung ending or plus and minus sa pustahan ang pag uusapan, malaking bagay yan no call nayan ksi there was really some contact.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #793 on: Oct 08, 2012 at 09:15 AM »
It wont make a difference in the outcome of the ball game even if Teng was awarded three free throws so the refs just let go with a no call.

it's not actually a no call since pumito ang ref and tumawag ng foul.

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #794 on: Oct 08, 2012 at 09:30 AM »
imo dapat pinag free throw pa din kahit in won't affect the outcome,para formality lang.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #795 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 12:00 AM »
First time in basketball history   Calvin "The Beast" Abueva is now the only player in history to lead a major basketball league in points, rebounds and assists in a single season.  Yep. first time in the country!  What a beast. 

http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=857442&publicationSubCategoryId=200

« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2012 at 12:01 AM by mattia »

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #796 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 12:12 AM »
http://www.slamonlineph.com/high-school-college-d-league/throwback-thursday-calvin-abueva-beast-of-baste-by-mico-halili/

"Calvin, after all, is already legendary at playing “screw you” basketball. Screw my height. Screw your height. Screw your team. Screw your school. Screw the score. Screw the odds. Screw whatever hallowed traditions your university has. Screw your basketball pedigree. Screw your more expensive shoes. Screw your better-paid coach. Screw your training in the US. Screw your fans. Screw your face."

As a Red Lion, I really hate this guy like the Cybercrime Law.  But as a basketball fan, I love him.  Since Jawo and Ginebra left the PBA, I hardly watch anymore.  But I will definitely watch again because of the Beast and his "kanto style" of basketball. 

« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2012 at 12:16 AM by mattia »

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #797 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 03:49 AM »
It  really is all about sportsmanship!
Black slams Jarencio, says comments 'mean and uncalled for.'

http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=857297&publicationSubCategoryId=200&keyword

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #798 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 10:59 AM »
Since Jawo and Ginebra left the PBA, I hardly watch anymore.

Well, you may wana cheer for UST with Jarencio and his BIG J antics.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #799 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 11:03 AM »

Yes I am actually.  I did last Saturday and I will again on Thursday.  I have been on a winning streak in my predictions since the NBA 2012 season so I'll try again = UST wins on Thursday.

There is more drama and excitement in collegiate basketball than in the PBA.

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #800 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 11:03 AM »
I was always a Jaworski fan. And Pido was a batchmate of mine in UST Eng'g. So,  you know who I'm cheering for. The UST Growling Tigers!

nbc
***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #801 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 01:21 PM »
Yes I am actually.  I did last Saturday and I will again on Thursday.  I have been on a winning streak in my predictions since the NBA 2012 season so I'll try again = UST wins on Thursday.

There is more drama and excitement in collegiate basketball than in the PBA.

Uy! I was there last saturday sa lowerbox watching the game also!

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #802 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 01:53 PM »

Oh yah, in PBA it was Black vs Big J, now it is like Black vs Small J. 

If Pido is able to win this series, most likely he will get a coaching offer to PBA as well.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #803 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 02:21 PM »
Oh yah, in PBA it was Black vs Big J, now it is like Black vs Small J. 

If Pido is able to win this series, most likely he will get a coaching offer to PBA as well.

Probably with his former team GINEBRA?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #804 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 02:26 PM »
Actually Pido did get an offer when he won in 2006 ...... then SMB coach Chot Reyes offered an assistant coach position to Pido after UST's upset Finals win over ADMU (methinks the offer then was just a "power trip" by the always vain Chot Reyes).

Win or lose the current Finals, I don't think Pido gets a PBA head coaching job though ...... not in the ongoing season anyways.

But who knows ...... should Siot Tanquincen still fail to enter the Finals with his loaded GINEBRA team - Pido just might be reunited with ex-UST teammate Alfrancis Chua (and chief UAAP rival Allan Caidic) to run GINEBRA.

Offline dencio105

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 205
« Reply #805 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 05:14 PM »
Pido is currently one of the assistant coaches of Olcen Racela over at Petron Blaze in the PBA together with Rajko Torroman, Biboy Ravanes, Gelacio Abanilla and Bobby Parks Sr.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #806 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 11:57 PM »

This clears things up.

Clearly he was fouled but with the ball in his hands when time expired. So no 3 pt. shot was given. But since ateneo was in the penalty, UST was to be awarded 2 free throws. Unfortunately, Pido stormed the court immediately and was berating the refs when they were on the way to review the video feed.

Kasalanan din ni Pido bakit hindi nabigyan si Jeric Teng ng free throws. Article below explains why:-

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/10/09/12/why-teng-not-given-free-throws-game-1

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #807 on: Oct 10, 2012 at 12:34 AM »
If you're in the act of shooting, and you were fouled, it doesn't matter if the ball is still in your hands or not...

nbc
***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #808 on: Oct 10, 2012 at 01:11 AM »
"While the hand of Abdul got all ball, his elbow caught the body of Kiefer. You know, Kiefer is a very good actor, so he managed to get a foul," Badolato said. "There was really a foul, so we can't penalize officials for that."

parang contradictory naman yung mga statement na 'to.. may foul ba talaga o nakuha lang sa acting? looking at this video (around 2:21), I think Keifer just flopped..

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #809 on: Oct 10, 2012 at 04:18 AM »
that was a clear flop.