Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 203694 times)

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 357
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2013
« Reply #1590 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 08:48 PM »
But who can resist the best offer being offered scholarships plus allowances and a bright future for the whole family by a certain investor?
As an investor of course you will only give the best offer if you see a good future of your investments and they just make those irresistable offers but they don't force those athletes to accept.

That's exactly it bro ..... athletic scholarships are supposed to be offered by the school itself and not by private individuals who expect long-term athletic commitment.

Offering tuition, monetary allowances, jobs to relatives, etc to athletic prospects are clear-as-day, plain and simple - unethical practices.

You ask who can resist such an offer - count me as one ....... I'd prefer scholarships & allowances gained the traditional way.

Personally, it wont be hard for me to refuse a person such as Danding ...... the guy is a crook - he has stolen billions, stolen lives and has yet to see a day in jail.  ;)

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1591 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 09:49 PM »
That's exactly it bro ..... athletic scholarships are supposed to be offered by the school itself and not by private individuals who expect long-term athletic commitment.

Offering tuition, monetary allowances, jobs to relatives, etc to athletic prospects are clear-as-day, plain and simple - unethical practices.

You ask who can resist such an offer - count me as one ....... I'd prefer scholarships & allowances gained the traditional way.

Personally, it wont be hard for me to refuse a person such as Danding ...... the guy is a crook - he has stolen billions, stolen lives and has yet to see a day in jail.  ;)

Sad to say that schools are funded by these rich individuals so the school can only offer much if they receive much funds from them.
A good example is NU. What was NU before the SM Group took over and look at what they've achieved after the SM Group took over.
Regardless of what ethics involved, those talented young athletes are offered to study, play and represent respective schools.
In any field, if you are extremely good, irresistable offers will come and it all boils down if you will grab it or not and I say I'd be a hypocrite if I say I will to bite to the best offer that will secure my future.

DLSU via Danding chased Jerone Teng and his family to guarantee he'll play for the archers but they didn't do that for Jeric Teng coz they think Jeric isn't good enough to be offered that much.
Ateneo also didn't chase Jeric Teng to play for them so since no good offers by both Ateneo and DLSU, Jeric just settled with UST with assurance from Coach Pido that he'll get his minutes.
Do you think Jeric will end up with UST should there be irresistable offers from both Ateneo and DLSU after his Xavier days?

Tim Cone left Alaska for a better offer by the San Miguel Group and so did Ryan Gregorio and even Jong Uichico left the San Miguel Group for the MVP Group.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2014 at 10:00 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1592 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 10:25 PM »
Regardless of what ethics involved, those talented young athletes are offered to study, play and represent respective schools.
In any field, if you are extremely good, irresistable offers will come and it all boils down if you will grab it or not and I say I'd be a hypocrite if I say I will to bite to the best offer that will secure my future.

Tim Cone left Alaska for a better offer by the San Miguel Group and so did Ryan Gregorio and even Jong Uichico left the San Miguel Group for the MVP Group.

Tim Cone, Gregorio, Uichico, etc transferring to rival teams ...... these are professionals bro - normal market and business procedures apply to them.

The UAAP/NCAA is completely an amateur & scholastic league ...... schools offering scholarships & allowances are normal school practices.

When private individuals offer money, jobs, cars, etc to prospects and their relatives, it is completely unethical. In the US NCAA, it is considered ILLEGAL.

It's surprising that it took a long time for school officials and half-decent politicians to deplore such acts. Hope FEU & Sen. Pia Cayetano's initiative bear fruit soon.

==============================================================

I recall a scenario from the movie THE BLIND SIDE (based on a true story) ...... the female protagonist, Sandra Bullock, adopts a neglected boy out of the goodness of her heart.

It turns out, the boy (now NFL player Michael Oher) has supreme athletic skills and is soon being recruited by top NCAA colleges.

Two things from the movie that are are actually true items from the US NCAA.

1.) College recruitment is very formal. A letter of intent is sent out by colleges and should be formally replied to by the prospect.

2.) The adopting parents were investigated for possible NCAA recruitment violations due to the nature of their relationship e.g. adoption to ensure commitment to the parents alma mater.

Nakakatawa, kasi ganito lang kababaw, inimbestigahan na ng NCAA ...... may ilan na din na suspend sa US NCAA dahil sa pagtanggap ng jackets mula sa boosters.

Eh paano pa dito sa atin - lantaran na binibigyan nang tuition, pera, trabaho ang prospect, pero bale wala lang.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2014 at 10:26 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1593 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 11:19 PM »
Tim Cone, Gregorio, Uichico, etc transferring to rival teams ...... these are professionals bro - normal market and business procedures apply to them.

The UAAP/NCAA is completely an amateur & scholastic league ...... schools offering scholarships & allowances are normal school practices.

When private individuals offer money, jobs, cars, etc to prospects and their relatives, it is completely unethical. In the US NCAA, it is considered ILLEGAL.

It's surprising that it took a long time for school officials and half-decent politicians to deplore such acts. Hope FEU & Sen. Pia Cayetano's initiative bear fruit soon.

==============================================================

I recall a scenario from the movie THE BLIND SIDE (based on a true story) ...... the female protagonist, Sandra Bullock, adopts a neglected boy out of the goodness of her heart.

It turns out, the boy (now NFL player Michael Oher) has supreme athletic skills and is soon being recruited by top NCAA colleges.

Two things from the movie that are are actually true items from the US NCAA.

1.) College recruitment is very formal. A letter of intent is sent out by colleges and should be formally replied to by the prospect.

2.) The adopting parents were investigated for possible NCAA recruitment violations due to the nature of their relationship e.g. adoption to ensure commitment to the parents alma mater.

Nakakatawa, kasi ganito lang kababaw, inimbestigahan na ng NCAA ...... may ilan na din na suspend sa US NCAA dahil sa pagtanggap ng jackets mula sa boosters.

Eh paano pa dito sa atin - lantaran na binibigyan nang tuition, pera, trabaho ang prospect, pero bale wala lang.

That's the US. This is Philippines.

Education, Money, Work and a Bright Future. These are probably one's dream so who will ever resist those offers anyway? I won't.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2014 at 11:23 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1594 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 11:43 PM »
That's the US. This is Philippines.

Education, Money, Work and a Bright Future. These are probably one's dream so who will ever resist those offers anyway? I won't.

Yet the local NCAA & UAAP leagues were patterned after the US NCAA ...... besides, right or wrong shouldn't know any boundaries, right? That's my humble two-cents anyway.

I fully agree that education, money & work are the stuff of dreams ...... but to attain these things by compromising the things that I know is right and just - it's not for me.

Again, my humble two-cents worth.

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1596 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 05:10 PM »
Looks like he's having a successful stint in L.A.

Boys' basketball: Another guard named Kobe is ready to star in L.A.