Author Topic: Shogun (miniseries) - discs details  (Read 942 times)

Offline benny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shogun (miniseries) - discs details
« on: Jul 03, 2003 at 03:07 AM »

Shogun - Collector's Edition  $59.99  (25%), Sep 23.

Editorial Review from Amazon:

What better way to escape from the onslaught of so-called reality television than to sail away with Richard Chamberlain to "the Japans" for a little samurai action and some discreet "pillowing"? From the golden age of the miniseries comes this television benchmark, the 10-hour, Golden Globe-winning saga based on James Clavell's bestselling epic. In his award-winning performance, Chamberlain stars as John Blackthorne, the 17th-century English navigator on a Dutch trading ship. A storm runs the ship aground off the coast of Japan, a "torn and cruelly divided country" locked in a power struggle between Toranaga (the venerable Toshiro Mifune) and Ishido, two warlords who would be Shogun. Blackthorne gets over his initial culture shock ("I piss on you and your country," he defiantly proclaims to his samurai captors, which to his humiliation turns out to be an unfortunate choice of words) to become a trusted ally of Toranaga and the lover of the beautiful interpreter Lady Mariko (Yoko Shimada). Their forbidden, ill-fated romance--and Blackthorne's total assimilation into Japanese culture--is set against political intrigue as Toranaga prepares for the inevitable showdown with Ishido, and Blackthorne's growing influence threatens the local Jesuits who had built up a lucrative trade monopoly. Shogun was a production blessed with good karma, and it remains an awesome achievement from a bygone era when the miniseries was king. --Donald Liebenson

DVD Features:
•Complete miniseries on five discs with remastered sound
• "The Making of Shogun" a 13-segment documentary
• 3 historical perspective featurettes
• Commentary by director Jerry London on select scenes
• 4:3 full-frame  
• Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
• 5 discs (over nine hours)
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2003 at 03:08 AM by benny »

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
Re:Shogun (miniseries) - discs details
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2003 at 11:54 PM »
Yum.

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2003 at 10:53 PM »
another must have dvd ...  :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2003 at 08:15 PM »
This is a great package. The bonus disc has a great NEW making of documentary, it's not all old archival footage. And the trailer for the Indiana Jones DVD boxed set was an unexpected bonus feature for me.

My main complaint about this boxed set, though, is that they spread the 9 hour miniseries on 4 discs. Seems like a waste of space.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2003 at 08:16 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Shogun (miniseries) - discs details
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2006 at 01:23 PM »
this dvd is another must have.

with toshiro mifune and richard chamberlain. you can't go wrong.
pinanood ko to last lenten season dahil mahaba at walang time pag regular weekends and it was worth it at sulit pati ang perang ginastos ko,pero region 3 lamang ang binili ko para makatipid ng konti.