Author Topic: The Religion Thread  (Read 359877 times)

Offline pTrader

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: The Religion Thread
« Reply #2010 on: Nov 09, 2015 at 10:43 AM »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #2011 on: Nov 09, 2015 at 10:52 AM »
Bro Nelson, I would like to believe that thinking lustfully is an ingredient of a successful sex act because how could have Adam got an erection if he was not inspired by his thoughts on Eves beautiful body, etc.? Before a physiological change sets in his body, especially that lower part, there should have been a mental factor first.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Online bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2012 on: Nov 09, 2015 at 10:54 AM »
Parang ganun sir. They know they were naked probably pero they had no idea of lust.

Sir Jerix I think you hit the right word. Iba yun having sex and iba yun "lustfully" having sex. I may be wrong though.

Is there even such a thing as lust-less sex (for humans at least)?

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2013 on: Nov 09, 2015 at 11:41 AM »
Is there even such a thing as lust-less sex (for humans at least)?

Yun sa mga sex workers....you can call it siguro lust-less sex.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2014 on: Nov 12, 2015 at 01:22 PM »
Children from religious households more selfish and mean than those from secular households.

That study is flawed and probably biased in favor of atheism.

No wonder it was published in a Biology journal instead of a Psychology/Sociology journal.  Lack of knowledge in behavioral sciences will cause flaws in methodology and conclusions.

For example, the study failed to take into account that the lower income groups tend to be less educated and more religious; the higher income groups tend to be more educated and non-religious. 

The identification of a child from a religious family may actually be identifying a child from a low-education family rather than from a religious family per se. Therefore, the children's behavior was fundamentally influenced by the mindset of the low-education vs. high-education parents and environment rather than religiosity.

=============================

No, atheist kids are not more altruistic than religious kids
November 10, 2015 by Matthew Facciani

A recent study came out suggesting that atheist children are more altruistic than the children of believers. I’m an atheist so you might think I’d be happy to count this as a win for Team Atheism and forget about it. However, I’m also a social scientist so I was very interested in the methods of this study. After actually reading the journal article, I found three major flaws in this study.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/accordingtomatthew/2015/11/no-atheist-kids-are-not-more-altruistic-than-religious-kids/?ref_widget=popular&ref_blog=friendlyatheist&ref_post=global-survey-finds-63-of-worlds-population-is-religious-while-11-are-convinced-atheists

Fatal Flaws in that Religion and Generosity Study
By GEORGE YANCEY
Published on November 9, 2015

The difficulties starts with Decety and his co-authors using a measure known as “the dictator game” to determine the level of altruism among their subjects. However, it is highly questionable that this game can assess altruism. This tool instead may measure compliance to the instructor of the game.

... Moreover, to understand any research one should explore what others have found about the topic. There is other research looking at the relationship of generosity and religion. Religion has been shown to correlate to the willingness of individuals to volunteer, to give money to charity and even to be nice.

That research focused on adults instead of children, but this produces important questions. If religious children are so selfish and immoral, then how do they become generous, friendly adults? Conversely, how do the altruistic secular children grow up to be, on average, less generous and kind as adults than their religious counterparts? The authors do not seem to have grappled with the greater research literature on this topic. If they had, then they would have addressed those questions and been a little more circumspect about making pronouncements about secular superiority in morality.

https://stream.org/fatal-flaws-religion-generosity-study/
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2015 at 08:03 PM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2015 on: Nov 12, 2015 at 05:16 PM »
http://wmbriggs.com/post/17238/

Here’s Why That Study Claiming Religious Kids Are Less Altruistic Stinks. Updates
NOVEMBER 9, 2015 / BRIGGS

Heard about that scientific study which scientifically shows non-religious kids are scientifically more altruistic than unscientific religious kids? The Guardian summarized it thusly: “Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts, study finds: Religious belief appears to have negative influence on children’s altruism and judgments of others’ actions even as parents see them as ‘more empathetic’.”

Scientifically speaking, this is crap. Here’s why.

The scientific science “study” The Guardian cites is the peer-reviewed article “The Negative Association between Religiousness and Children’s Altruism across the World” in the journal Current Biology by Jean Decety and a bunch of others. Biology? Never mind.

Authors gathered kids, 5 to 12, from the US, Canada, China, Jordan, Turkey and South Africa and asked them a bunch of scientific questions, scientifically quantified those questions, produced scientific statistics, and then made scientific propositions about the whole of the human race. Say, are there differences in behavior between 5- and 12-year-olds? That doesn’t sound like a scientific question, so never mind.

Here’s how to you can replicate their study at home. First, define altruism. Go on, I’ll wait.

Have a definition in mind? I’m sure it’s correct and matches everybody else’s definition in precise detail, details like no-greater-love, supreme sacrifice, kindness, patience, love, and so on, right? Well, maybe not, but never mind. Instead, think about how you would quantify your definition. Quantification makes your definition scientific. Science means unquestionable truth.

Was your answer about quantification the “Dictator game”? Like this (from the Supplementary description)?:

[C]hildren were shown a set of 30 stickers and told to choose their 10 favorite. They were then told “these stickers are yours to keep.” Children were instructed that the experimenter did not have the time to play this game with all of the children in the school, so not everyone would be able to receive stickers. Children were finally shown a set of envelopes and informed that they could give some of their stickers to another child who would not be able to play this game by putting them in one envelope and they could put the stickers they wanted to keep in the other envelope. Experimenters turned around during the child’s choice and children were instructed to inform the experimenter when they were finished. Altruism was calculated as the number of stickers shared out of 10.
Yes, this scientifically captures every possible nuance of the scientific concept of altruism, doesn’t it? Science science science science. Science. It must be science! Scientists wrote this, peer scientists reviewed it, and scientists nod sagely when reading it.

Now define “religiosity” for kids. I’ll wait again.

Have it? Ha ha! That was a trick question. The authors never assessed the “religiosity” of kids; they did it for the kids’ “caregivers” instead. How? The authors asked parents to name their religion. They also asked parents questions like “How often do you experience the ‘divine’ in your everyday life?” They took pseudo-quantified answers from these and combined them scientifically with a quantification of religious attendance and derived a complete scientific quantification of “religiosity.” This was assigned to each kid in the study.

After that, “Children completed a moral sensitivity task programmed in E-prime 2.0 and presented on ASUS T101MT Touchscreen computers…” My goodness! How scientific! An ASUS T101MT! Just think how dramatically the results might have changed had they used an ASUS ROG G752! Or an ACER C910-C37P!

You know what happened next. Wee p-values through the terrible abuse of regression on the pseudo-quantified answers. A picture showing one of these is at the top. Notice the wee p-values? That makes the findings scientific.

All those dots are the answers to the pseudo-quantifications for each kid. The flat surface is the regression (expressing this and nothing else: the change in the central parameter of a normal distribution representing uncertainty in “altruism”; did you think it was something different?). Notice almost none of the dots are near this flat surface? That means this model has no real predictive value.

Which, scientifically speaking, means this study is crap. And where I use “science” in the old-fashioned, pre-government-grant way.

Finally, no paper would be complete without wild, over-reaching theorizing about cause. The authors say their findings “contradict the commonsense and popular assumption that children from religious households are more altruistic and kind towards others”. Idiots everywhere are taking this literally. I’m too tired to make a joke about science. You do it.

This study is so bad that it’s good. I mean, it stinks to high heaven; nearly everything is wrong with it, start to finish. Yet it’s good because it takes so much effort to dissect, and the effort reduces the critic to such a sputtering mess that the criticism is bound to sound like an old fart yelling at the kids to get off the lawn.

Why I am Right Update P-values are rotten evidence for anything (click here to learn), (2) Regression is deeply flawed and not what you think (click here, here, or here to learn), (3) Probability models do not prove cause (click here, (4) Asinine studies like this are common (click here) or here). And don’t forget that altruism was not measured, but that kids sticking stickers in envelopes was. How much influence did the researchers have, especially with the younger kids? I mean, did kids stick stickers because they wanted to prove to the whitecoat they were compliant or because they wanted to be liked or because they wanted to share? Altruism forsooth!

And most importantly, don’t throw a temper tantrum and (for you men) cry like a little girl or say that I am a bad person. Show—exactly—where I am wrong and the authors right. If you cannot do this, keep your mouth shut. (I am too tired and too surly this morning to put this more politely).

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2016 on: Nov 12, 2015 at 08:20 PM »

This is how the mechanics of the Dictator Game were described:

Children were shown a set of 30 stickers and told to choose their 10 favorite. They were then told “these stickers are yours to keep.” Children were instructed that the experimenter did not have the time to play this game with all of the children in the school, so not everyone would be able to receive stickers. Children were finally shown a set of envelopes and informed that they could give some of their stickers to another child who would not be able to play this game by putting them in one envelope and they could put the stickers they wanted to keep in the other envelope. Experimenters turned around during the child’s choice and children were instructed to inform the experimenter when they were finished. Altruism was calculated as the number of stickers shared out of 10.

Experimenters simply turn around during the child's choice; the child informs the experimenter when the choice has been made. 

I wonder why the experimenter does not simply leave the room while an assistant records the children via CCTV.

Does the experimenter want to make the child feel that the experimenter is always present, thereby minimizing the child's independence in making his choice?

Does this merely reflect a child's obedience, where a child coming from a higher-income household (higher income= higher education= less religious) is more obedient than one from a lower-income household?

It does not even consider that kids from wealthier households might tend to be more giving than kids from poorer households.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2015 at 08:28 PM by barrister »

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #2017 on: Nov 27, 2015 at 03:03 PM »
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2018 on: Nov 28, 2015 at 01:01 PM »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2019 on: Nov 28, 2015 at 08:19 PM »

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2020 on: Nov 30, 2015 at 02:46 PM »
^bakit di makita yan...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2022 on: Dec 09, 2015 at 08:16 AM »

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2023 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 04:03 AM »

Actually Hitler does not represent for all the Christians denominations here but for the Catholics. Historians believed Hitler & the Nazi's in world war 2 was religious in nature. Hitler was a devout Catholic and believe Jews are the problems of this world. They say, Hitler hates the Jews for crucifying Jesus.

And they were blessed and supported by the Vatican for this cause.  There was even a mass conducted by Vatican black pope for Germany to have victory in this war.

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2024 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 06:12 AM »
Hitler hated the Jews for the simple reason the a Jew bested him in the arts, paintings,
he came second best, and the fact that Jews are financially well off while Hitler was hard up,
to sum it up "inggit".....

so you see that charlatans have a great capacity in herding people to their doom as what we see in that war...like the same religious charlatans led the about 800 people murdered in Guyana, and folks burned alive in Wako Texas...

as Jesus said, come to me those of you who are tired and weary and i will give you rest....
isn't organised religion supposed to be like that and not be judgemental of people?
such is what i see in our roman catholic church...

did you know that a Jew bankrolled the Nazis in the early stages when they were not yet in power?
and that Hitler had this same man murdered after all the help he got?
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2015 at 06:14 AM by tony »

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2025 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 06:25 AM »

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2026 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 09:28 AM »
^well said by Mother Teresa

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #2027 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 09:32 AM »

OT lang, totoo ba tsismis about mother teresa pocketing donations?
ninjababez online ..

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2028 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 11:49 AM »
mlamang, paano nya magagastos kung hindi muna nya ibulsa?

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2029 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 12:50 PM »
Here's an excerpt from a 2010 article that implies her involvement in money matters:

It is good news about some of the changes. Unfortunately, we are still in the dark when it comes to their financial records,” says Gonzalez. The donation issue first came up in the early 1990s when it was revealed that Charles Keating, an American banker known for the infamous “saving and loan scandal,” had donated up to $1.25 million to Missionaries of Charity. Amidst calls to return the money, Mother Teresa controversially chose to remain silent, an incident that is still sited by her critics who demand transparency.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/10/forbes-india-mother-teresa-charity-critical-public-review.html

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2030 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 01:11 PM »
unfortunately she has died and can no longer defend herself, if she pocketed the money saan kaya napunta? vatican? pwede naman...

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2031 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 08:38 PM »

... Mother Teresa has long been exposed as one who received enormous amounts of donations, yet never spent the money to build a single hospital, preferring to simply pray for the sick instead of providing adequate health care.  What did Teresa do with the money?  Nobody knows.  At least she didn't spend it on herself.

It was Aroup Chatterjee who first exposed Mother Teresa, after working in one of Teresa's homes and later investigating her order's finances and practices.  In 1994, Christopher Hitchens produced a British TV documentary critical of Mother Teresa.  Hitchens later wrote a book, "The Missionary Position - Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice," then Chatterjee wrote his own book, "Mother Teresa: The Final Verdict."

Despite these exposés, the religious still continue to believe that Mother Teresa was a spotless figure of humanitarian work.  Clearly delusional.  Galit pa nga pag pinintasan si Mother Teresa...  :D

It's not surprising that Chatterjee and the late Hitchens are both atheists.  We need atheists to snap us out of our delusions once in a while...  :D   

Was Mother Teresa not so saintly after all?
Researchers spark controversy by claiming
her care of the sick was 'dubious' and
handling of cash 'suspicious'

By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED:17:33 GMT, 3 March 2013| UPDATED:10:36 GMT, 4 March 2013

... At the time of her death, Mother Teresa had opened 517 missions welcoming the poor and sick in more than 100 countries.

But these missions have been described as 'homes for the dying' by doctors visiting several of these establishments in Calcutta.

Doctors observed a significant lack of hygiene, even unfit conditions, as well as a shortage of actual care, inadequate food, and no painkillers.

But the authors say the problem is not a lack of money, as the foundation created by Mother Teresa has raised hundred of millions of pounds.

Sisters of the Missions of Charity attend the state funeral for Mother Teresa in Calcutta but critics have sparked controversy claiming her care of the sick was 'dubious.'

They also say that following numerous natural disasters in India she offered prayers and medallions of the Virgin Mary but no direct or monetary aid.

But she accepted the Legion of Honour and a grant from the Duvalier dictatorship in Haiti, said prof Larivee, and although millions of dollars were transferred to the various bank accounts, most of the accounts were kept secret.

Dr Larivie says: 'Given the parsimonious management of Mother Teresa's works, one may ask where the millions of dollars for the poorest of the poor have gone?'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2287427/Was-Mother-Teresa-saintly-Researchers-spark-controversy-claiming-care-sick-dubious-handling-cash-suspicious.html

Mother Teresa: Sadistic religious fanatic
guilty of medical malpractice

March 6, 2013

... Researchers report Mother Teresa saw beauty in suffering, and was far more willing to pray for those in her care rather than provide practical medical treatment. In addition to her medical malpractice and her perverse and sadistic enjoyment of the suffering of others, the study also raises questions about Teresa’s financial mismanagement of large sums of money, and her friendship with unsavory and immoral world leaders.

... Famed author and journalist Christopher Hitchens is cited in the new study. Hitchens was one of the first to raise questions about the authenticity of claims made by the Roman Catholic Church promoting Mother Teresa. The following is an excerpt from Hitchens’ 2003 critique:

“Mother Teresa was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction.

“And she was a friend to the worst of the rich, taking misappropriated money from the atrocious Duvalier family in Haiti (whose rule she praised in return) and from Charles Keating of the Lincoln Savings and Loan. Where did that money, and all the other donations, go?

“Many more people are poor and sick because of the life of Mother Teresa: Even more will be poor and sick if her example is followed. She was a fanatic, a fundamentalist, and a fraud, and a church that officially protects those who violate the innocent has given us another clear sign of where it truly stands on moral and ethical questions.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mother-teresa-sadistic-religious-fanatic-guilty-of-medical-malpractice

Missionaries of Inhumanity

Warning: Due to the distressing nature of the images, I’ve posted all of them at the very end of this post. May not be suitable to be viewed at work. Viewer discretion is advised.

Hemley Gonzalez, currently back in India, has found another volunteer for the Missionaries of Charity who is now, after 13 years of working for Mother Teresa’s famous organisation, willing to speak up about the countless cases of abuse, medical negligence, and financial fraud she witnessed. And she has many stories to tell. Here is the full-length interview, courtesy of Hemley Gonzalez.

http://humanizzm.wordpress.com/2010/12/21/missionaries-of-inhumanity/
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2015 at 08:39 PM by barrister »

Offline majoe

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2032 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 08:49 PM »
sa tanda nyang yun, tingin nyo maghahangad pa ba siya ng ganung kadaming pera?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2033 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 08:55 PM »
Wala naman siyang pinagkakagastahan.

Basta tumatanggap ng donations.  Hindi naman ginagasta.  May pinatayo ba yan kahit isang hospital?

Saan napupunta kung hindi ginagasta?  Nobody knows.

Mother Teresa: Where are her millions?

... Perhaps the most lucrative branch of the organisation is the “Holy Ghost” House in New York’s Bronx. ... It is estimated that worldwide they collected at least $100 million per year — and that has been going on for many many years.

... Mother Teresa saw it as as her God given right never to have to pay anyone for anything. Once she bought food for her nuns in London for GB£500. When she was told she’d have to pay at the till, the diminutive seemingly harmless nun showed her Balkan temper and shouted, “This is for the work of God!” She raged so loud and so long that eventually a businessman waiting in the queue paid up on her behalf.

http://www.srai.org/mother-teresa-where-are-her-millions/
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2015 at 09:04 PM by barrister »

Offline majoe

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2034 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 09:25 PM »
Wala naman siyang pinagkakagastahan.

Basta tumatanggap ng donations.  Hindi naman ginagasta.  May pinatayo ba yan kahit isang hospital?

Saan napupunta kung hindi ginagasta?  Nobody knows.

if nobody knows, God knows ;)

sakin lang, wala naman ako karapatan mag judge o mag criticize dahil di ko naman alam ang buong katotohanan. ang alam ko, inoffer ng mga missionaries ang buhay nila para sa ganyang gawain. kung may kalokohan man, Diyos na ang bahala sa kanila.

Offline rulesmeister

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2035 on: Dec 10, 2015 at 09:45 PM »
^it just showed that Mother Teresa is a human-being after all - nagkakamali din minsan (wala naman sa atin ang 100% malinis if scrutinized natin ng mabuti). She may received a lot of money from donations but marami naman din syang tinulongan and obvious naman ung sacrifices para matulongan ang mga poorest of the poor.

Kong nasan man ang milyones na yan, I dont think Mother Teresa gained much from it. Wala naman syang natitayong malalaking mga mansion or mga magagarang kotse or high-end na home theater.

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2036 on: Dec 11, 2015 at 06:14 AM »
^ i suspect the money all went to the vatican.....but i have no proof...
but i hope the money all went to the poor in calcutta.....

Offline bosyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Namaste
  • Liked:
« Reply #2037 on: Dec 11, 2015 at 06:36 AM »
Monotheism Inc.

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2015 at 11:05 AM by bosyo »
Dai-ichi
Crown
Micro
Starvox
Booster (mj2955)
ALC 888
Phelps Dodge
Aiwa Cassette

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2038 on: Dec 11, 2015 at 06:43 AM »
ang tunay na away ng mga religions ay ang paramihan ng members, ergo paramihan ng collection...

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #2039 on: Dec 11, 2015 at 07:35 AM »
thanks bro barrister, dito ko pala nabasa yun ;D
ninjababez online ..