Author Topic: I want to convert my extra laptop as an audio source- HELP  (Read 14126 times)

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
sorry guys, I'm not really familiar with this. I have an extra laptop, a small hp notebook, that I want to use as a pure audio source, what are the things I need to do to make it sound really good. any audio player software to choose from? any plugins to download? programs that can rip my CDs in high quality format?

I want to do this, primarily because I'm planning to rip all my CD collection and just store it in my hard disk, P*!@#d kasi yung karamihan ng cds ko, kaya minsan eh di na nababasa ng cdp.  :'(  ;D

;D ::) THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!  ;D ::)
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2011 at 02:20 PM by shrek7 »

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: I want to convert my extra laptop as an audio source- HELP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2011 at 02:34 PM »
I suggest Winamp. For the lossless conversion, I suggest Monkey's Audio.

From it's homepage ...

Monkey’s Audio is a fast and easy way to compress digital music.  Unlike traditional methods such as mp3, ogg, or wma that permanently discard quality to save space, Monkey’s Audio only makes perfect, bit-for-bit copies of your music.  That means it always sounds perfect – exactly the same as the original.  Even though the sound is perfect, it still saves a lot of space (think of it as a beefed-up Winzip™ your music).  The other great thing is that you can always decompress your Monkey's Audio files back to the exact, original files.  That way, you'll never have to recopy your CD collection to switch formats, and you'll always be able to perfectly recreate the original music CD.
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2011 at 02:37 PM by rascal101 »

Offline jcsantamarina

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2011 at 03:05 PM »
Good suggestion! On the lossless compression. Next step is being able tO squeeze out the files to your sound system.
Possible setup is from your laptop's audio out to active speakers.
Another is from your audio out to your stereo receiver or AV Receiver.
Another setup is audio out to T-Amp to speakers.
Or.. Hehe.. I recently got the Dayton DAC from @kemoZavi. I'm gonna use it as my sound processor.
Will let you know how it goes later when I bring it hOme. (",)

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2011 at 03:19 PM »
I suggest Winamp. For the lossless conversion, I suggest Monkey's Audio.

From it's homepage ...

Monkey’s Audio is a fast and easy way to compress digital music.  Unlike traditional methods such as mp3, ogg, or wma that permanently discard quality to save space, Monkey’s Audio only makes perfect, bit-for-bit copies of your music.  That means it always sounds perfect – exactly the same as the original.  Even though the sound is perfect, it still saves a lot of space (think of it as a beefed-up Winzip™ your music).  The other great thing is that you can always decompress your Monkey's Audio files back to the exact, original files.  That way, you'll never have to recopy your CD collection to switch formats, and you'll always be able to perfectly recreate the original music CD.

iba talaga ang levelling mo sir Mel! I like it!!!!!! sana lang eh ma-install ko ng maayos, hehehehe! medyo ta@#a kc ako pagdating sa mga ganitong bagay eh.

did a little reading for those who use their PC/laptops as audio source via external DAC, they need asio4all, foobar2k, winamp. is monkey's audio compatible with these programs?

Good suggestion! On the lossless compression. Next step is being able tO squeeze out the files to your sound system.
Possible setup is from your laptop's audio out to active speakers.
Another is from your audio out to your stereo receiver or AV Receiver.
Another setup is audio out to T-Amp to speakers.
Or.. Hehe.. I recently got the Dayton DAC from @kemoZavi. I'm gonna use it as my sound processor.
Will let you know how it goes later when I bring it hOme. (",)
cge sir, feedback sa SQ ha?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 603
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2011 at 03:50 PM »
For plain CD rips, I prefer using WMA Lossless or FLAC (WMA Lossless is typically a bit smaller in file size, but more CE players support FLAC). You can then play either format via Foobar using WASAPI Exclusive mode.

Let us know what gear you'd pair with your notebook, and how much you're willing to spend on this project. This way, people won't suggest something that's way off your target.

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2011 at 04:32 PM »
For plain CD rips, I prefer using WMA Lossless or FLAC (WMA Lossless is typically a bit smaller in file size, but more CE players support FLAC). You can then play either format via Foobar using WASAPI Exclusive mode.

Let us know what gear you'd pair with your notebook, and how much you're willing to spend on this project. This way, people won't suggest something that's way off your target.

Good point sir Stagea!
Baka nga may existing equipment already also.
What are your current connection options, or what do you intend to setup?

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2011 at 04:57 PM »

naku sir! I'm not planning to spend anything  ;D ;D ;D  I just want to know what is the best way to get the best digital signal from my notebook and to know how to store my CD collection in the best possible way. I already have a cdp,T-amp, speakers and an incoming NOS DAC that will probably go with my notebook via USB. tnx for the options you are giving sir!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 603
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 06:24 AM »
naku sir! I'm not planning to spend anything  ;D ;D ;D  I just want to know what is the best way to get the best digital signal from my notebook and to know how to store my CD collection in the best possible way. I already have a cdp,T-amp, speakers and an incoming NOS DAC that will probably go with my notebook via USB. tnx for the options you are giving sir!!  ;D ;D ;D

Got it. :) The simplest no-cost option would be to rip with Windows Media Player to WMA Lossless, and playback with Foobar via the Wasapi Exclusive mode plug-in. This will work great if you'd only be playing your collection in your PC.

If you plan on using the files with other devices, you can use Foobar to rip to FLAC Level 8, and do the playback within Foobar as well. This option makes your files more portable (FLAC is probably the best-supported compressed lossless music format at the moment).

For the most hassle-free rips, applications that use CDDB2 (instead of FreeDB or WMDB) have a far more extensive list of identified discs (less hassle in terms of naming the tracks yourself, in case the application does not find a match for your CD). However, CDDB2 is not a free service, thus freeware applications generally do not have access to it (only commercial ripping apps would sport CDDB2 access, afaik).

Cheers!

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 07:19 AM »
iba talaga ang levelling mo sir Mel! I like it!!!!!! sana lang eh ma-install ko ng maayos, hehehehe! medyo ta@#a kc ako pagdating sa mga ganitong bagay eh.

did a little reading for those who use their PC/laptops as audio source via external DAC, they need asio4all, foobar2k, winamp. is monkey's audio compatible with these programs?
cge sir, feedback sa SQ ha?

Winamp supports Monkey's Audio.

... samahan mo na rin ng resistor tweak iyung laptop para sulit hehe

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 09:59 AM »
Winamp supports Monkey's Audio.

... samahan mo na rin ng resistor tweak iyung laptop para sulit hehe

ha? resistor tweak sa laptop? paano yun sir? eh I will be using USB?

Got it. :) The simplest no-cost option would be to rip with Windows Media Player to WMA Lossless, and playback with Foobar via the Wasapi Exclusive mode plug-in. This will work great if you'd only be playing your collection in your PC.

If you plan on using the files with other devices, you can use Foobar to rip to FLAC Level 8, and do the playback within Foobar as well. This option makes your files more portable (FLAC is probably the best-supported compressed lossless music format at the moment).

For the most hassle-free rips, applications that use CDDB2 (instead of FreeDB or WMDB) have a far more extensive list of identified discs (less hassle in terms of naming the tracks yourself, in case the application does not find a match for your CD). However, CDDB2 is not a free service, thus freeware applications generally do not have access to it (only commercial ripping apps would sport CDDB2 access, afaik).

Cheers!

internalize ko muna to sir, di ko na magets eh! hehehehe! engot talaga ako pagdating sa ganito! thank you very much sir! makukuha ko rin yan! hehehehe!

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 01:06 PM »
ha? resistor tweak sa laptop? paano yun sir? eh I will be using USB?

internalize ko muna to sir, di ko na magets eh! hehehehe! engot talaga ako pagdating sa ganito! thank you very much sir! makukuha ko rin yan! hehehehe!

Iniisip ko kasi sa analog output ng laptop ka kakabit at hindi na dadaan pa sa DAC.

Offline pinoyhd

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 02:06 PM »
For CD archiving purposes, I hear good things about Exact Audio Copy with AccurateRip support.
You might want to check it out.

I would recommend FLAC, being a more popular codec/format.

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #12 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 02:54 PM »
Would FLAC using Foobar be better than the Apple Lossless using Itunes?

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 03:11 PM »
Iniisip ko kasi sa analog output ng laptop ka kakabit at hindi na dadaan pa sa DAC.
ah! okay! akala ko sir eh pwede sa USB, panandalian mong pinakati yung kamay ko sir ah! hehehehehe! pero pwede ba magalagay ng tweak sa output ng DAC?

For CD archiving purposes, I hear good things about Exact Audio Copy with AccurateRip support.
You might want to check it out.

I would recommend FLAC, being a more popular codec/format.

thank you sir for the suggestion, I will surely check it out! thanks again!!!!!

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 04:54 PM »
Oo. Puwedeng puwede doon. Iyun talaga ang lagayan nun.

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 04:59 PM »
Sir rascal101,

Paano sir???
Hehehe..
I have Macbook/HP laptop, tapos DAC, tapos Topping TP-60 amp, then RTi A3 BS speakers..
Hehehe..

shrek7 and I are on the same boat..
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2011 at 04:59 PM by jcsantamarina »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 05:45 PM »
^Sir, nag-PM po ako sa inyo.

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 06:11 PM »
Oo. Puwedeng puwede doon. Iyun talaga ang lagayan nun.

nice!!! madami pa akong ikokonsulta syo sir!!! yung parating ko kasing dac eh paborito ng mga modders, kasi ang daming options for modification, pero mas maganda kung syo manggagaling yung suggestion, pwede ko rin ipadala syo yung schematics para mapag aralan kung ano ang pinakamagandang gawin.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sir rascal101,

Paano sir???
Hehehe..
I have Macbook/HP laptop, tapos DAC, tapos Topping TP-60 amp, then RTi A3 BS speakers..
Hehehe..

shrek7 and I are on the same boat..
naka tp60 ka pala sir! hehehe! pareho pala tayo..

Offline dukesociety

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • music lovers of the world unite!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 08:16 PM »
Would FLAC using Foobar be better than the Apple Lossless using Itunes?

no audible difference for me sir except na lang siguro kung nasa high end yung hifi equipment.

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2011 at 09:45 AM »
thank you for all the suggestion that all of you folks gave me! my laptop is now running and im getting really good results!  ;D might reformat my laptop to get rid of unnecessary files and programs, might get all of your opinion to reconfigure my foobar2k to feed the best digital signal to dac. tnx!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 14, 2011 at 10:30 AM »
how will I be able to get Wasapi exclusive plug in? do i need to download it separately or do i need to look for foobar2k with wasapi already? sorry for the ignorance.... ::) thanks!

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 22, 2011 at 10:45 PM »
thank you for all the help!!!! my laptop is up and running with very good results!!!!

YOUTUBE VIDEO-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MLZxwjKi-A

;D ;D ;D ::) ;D ;D ;D

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #22 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 08:17 AM »
Congrats!

If you want to level up a notch....... get the M2Tech Hiface USB to SPDIF converter (available at Architectural Audio) or the Onkyo ND-S1 (Toyama) and place it between your laptap and the dac.  Very good results and beats a lot of HIFI cd players.

thank you for all the help!!!! my laptop is up and running with very good results!!!!

YOUTUBE VIDEO-

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 08:36 AM »
Congrats!

If you want to level up a notch....... get the M2Tech Hiface USB to SPDIF converter (available at Architectural Audio) or the Onkyo ND-S1 (Toyama) and place it between your laptap and the dac.  Very good results and beats a lot of HIFI cd players.

naku! delikado yang mga ganyang suggestion! sanay ako makulam sir! pero tanong ko lang sir kung para saan yung m2tech hiface? anong purpose nya sir? kasi yung DAC ko can support 24/96khz, kailangan ko pa ba ng m2tech? pasensya na sir medyo ignorante ako sa ganitong bagay eh! hehehehe!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2011 at 09:11 AM by shrek7 »

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #24 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 09:27 AM »
bro try mo tong soundcard na ito sa laptop mo.. :)

yan pinalit ko sa mga creative sound card ko sa PC/net book ko..malinis tumunog yan na try ko na sa rin
hook with tube buffer + T amp maganda result compare sa NMT + tube buffer + T amp..nasa P1080 pa to noon pero ngayon nasa P990 nalang daw available sa CD-R King.. HTH.  :)

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 09:32 AM »
bro try mo tong soundcard na ito sa laptop mo.. :)

yan pinalit ko sa mga creative sound card ko sa PC/net book ko..malinis tumunog yan na try ko na sa rin
hook with tube buffer + T amp maganda result compare sa NMT + tube buffer + T amp..nasa P1080 pa to noon pero ngayon nasa P990 nalang daw available sa CD-R King.. HTH.  :)
naku sir, mas ignorante ako d2, para saan ba to sir? kailangan ko pa ba to kahit may external dac na ako? di ba mukhang redundant na kapag may soundcard na tapos may exernal dac pa? sori sir ha? ignorante talaga...

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #26 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 09:43 AM »
naku sir, mas ignorante ako d2, para saan ba to sir? kailangan ko pa ba to kahit may external dac na ako? di ba mukhang redundant na kapag may soundcard na tapos may exernal dac pa? sori sir ha? ignorante talaga...
anong external DAC nyo sir? external soundcard lang din yung ENMAB pero kung may DAC ka na sir no need na po ito.. :) Nakakatuwa lang kasi ito sir sa price nya compare sa Creative soundcards ko dati ang linis po kasi talaga tumunog.. ::)

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM »

YOUTUBE VIDEO-

Congrats Pre!

Next is lagyan mo Ng Tube buffer between the DAC and the TP60. Mas maganda Ang lambing Ng sound.
I use the Dayton DAC-> CD2 Yaqin -> TP60 -> Speakers.

Audition ka Kay Watt Hifi sa Makati Cinema Square.
Hehe..

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 01:40 PM »
Congrats Pre!

Next is lagyan mo Ng Tube buffer between the DAC and the TP60. Mas maganda Ang lambing Ng sound.
I use the Dayton DAC-> CD2 Yaqin -> TP60 -> Speakers.

Audition ka Kay Watt Hifi sa Makati Cinema Square.
Hehe..
di ko sure if i will go for the tube buffer, medyo bumabagal kasi kapag may tube stage based on my experience, owned and sold 5 tube amps already. pero try ko pa rin suggestion mo bro. pero mas maganda kung ma modify mo yung tp60 mo tsaka yung dac mo bro. ang laki talaga ng improvement!

anong external DAC nyo sir? external soundcard lang din yung ENMAB pero kung may DAC ka na sir no need na po ito.. :) Nakakatuwa lang kasi ito sir sa price nya compare sa Creative soundcards ko dati ang linis po kasi talaga tumunog.. ::)
ah ganon ba? di kasi talaga ako familiar sa computers eh, sa madaling salita eh eng eng talaga ako sa ganitong topic, buti na lang sinabi mo agad sir na di na kailangan, kasi bigla akong nangati nung sinabi mo kasi mukhang sulit sa presyo eh! ang dac ko eh teradak chameleon.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2011 at 03:21 PM by shrek7 »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 02:53 PM »
TeraDak Chameleon - 16 paralleled Philips TDA1543 NOS (non-oversampling) DACs. Parang DAC AH. Lupet!!!