Author Topic: I want to convert my extra laptop as an audio source- HELP  (Read 14124 times)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 603
Re: I want to convert my extra laptop as an audio source- HELP
« Reply #60 on: Jan 01, 2012 at 02:40 AM »
guys anyone knows how much M2techhiface locally...i'm almost on the same situation.

salamat

I think it sells for around 10k.Contact Architectural Audio to confirm.

Offline KEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Jan 01, 2012 at 01:50 PM »
I think it sells for around 10k.Contact Architectural Audio to confirm.

thanks sir for the info ...now i'm really confused how to proceed with my plans of using computer base audio player/source,  first i'm still contemplating  between a new netbook vs refurbished 12" core2duo laptop and now MF VLinkII vs Hiface+MF Combo Xv3 series...

I read from one of the post here that the estimated srp of MF VLinkII is around 13-15k php.
Hirap nitong bisyo natin...

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jan 01, 2012 at 02:26 PM »
thanks sir for the info ...now i'm really confused how to proceed with my plans of using computer base audio player/source,  first i'm still contemplating  between a new netbook vs refurbished 12" core2duo laptop and now MF VLinkII vs Hiface+MF Combo Xv3 series...

I read from one of the post here that the estimated srp of MF VLinkII is around 13-15k php.
Hirap nitong bisyo natin...

That price may be for the V-DAC II. I think the V-Link II costs less. Wag naman bisyo, hobby na lang. :)

Are you using the X-DAC V3? I had the same DAC before.

As for the notebook: if you're willing to tolerate the extra bulk and cheaper finishes, there are a lot of modern brand new budget options between 15k and 20k. Sandy Bridge Pentiums and Celerons are often faster than Core 2 Duos and consume less power (longer battery life). They also tend to come with faster RAM, hard drives, and video. Plus you get modern connectivity options (e-sata, hdmi, etc.), a full capacity battery (battery capacity diminishes with use and age) and a full warranty.

I suggest staying away from the netbook solution, if you are still to make this choice. A netbook may look good and may be more portable, but it may be more prone to audio dropouts when you're using an interface running in asynchronous isochronous transfer mode. This is especially true when you're accessing other USB devices, or are multitasking. Some asynchronous-capable USB interface makers quote minimum PC specs for reliable asynchronous operation (especially at higher data rates), and recommend the use of adaptive or synchronous modes for lower spec computers. Netbooks are almost always below the recommended spec for asynchronous operation, though I'm not saying that they won't work in this configuration.

Just my tuppence worth.

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 01, 2012 at 09:26 PM »

That price may be for the V-DAC II. I think the V-Link II costs less. Wag naman bisyo, hobby na lang. :)

ah  sir tama ka its for VDAC ..yup sir i still have the combo with me... i used it for less than a year when i got hooked into another hobby...

As for the notebook: if you're willing to tolerate the extra bulk and cheaper finishes, there are a lot of modern brand new budget options between 15k and 20k. Sandy Bridge Pentiums and Celerons are often faster than Core 2 Duos and consume less power (longer battery life). They also tend to come with faster RAM, hard drives, and video. Plus you get modern connectivity options (e-sata, hdmi, etc.), a full capacity battery (battery capacity diminishes with use and age) and a full warranty.

I suggest staying away from the netbook solution, if you are still to make this choice. A netbook may look good and may be more portable, but it may be more prone to audio dropouts when you're using an interface running in asynchronous isochronous transfer mode. This is especially true when you're accessing other USB devices, or are multitasking. Some asynchronous-capable USB interface makers quote minimum PC specs for reliable asynchronous operation (especially at higher data rates), and recommend the use of adaptive or synchronous modes for lower spec computers. Netbooks are almost always below the recommended spec for asynchronous operation, though I'm not saying that they won't work in this configuration.

Just my tuppence worth.

Thanks sir for this very informative feedback...specially the dropouts never thought of that, i was more on the form factor of the netbook before and forgot the performace issue..he...he...he

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 02, 2012 at 08:44 AM »
Thanks sir for this very informative feedback...specially the dropouts never thought of that, i was more on the form factor of the netbook before and forgot the performace issue..he...he...he

You're welcome bro. Best of luck on your setup. :)

Offline geriboy

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #65 on: Jan 02, 2012 at 05:55 PM »

Just my tuppence worth.

thank you rin po for your suggestion. i was initially planning of getting a netbook to be used as my audio source. pero dahil sa suggestion/thoughts ninyo, nagdadalawang-isip tuloy ako :)

Offline comgen

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 12:47 PM »
Mga kuya I am not familiar with different signal processing, pero based on your experiences which will be better?
1. Laptop - ENMA - Toslink - AVR
2. Laptop - HDMI - AVR

Note:
     ENMA - CDR King sold External Sound Card - ENM232-8VIA