Author Topic: CD Players 2021  (Read 509 times)

Offline mousemouse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CD Players 2021
« on: Aug 11, 2021 at 11:39 AM »
Hi everyone,
My streamer is out for warranty so I am now looking for a CD player. I'd like to ask for your opinions on what to get. Cambridge, Denon & NAD have players around 15-20k. The entry level Marantz and Rotel CD players are at 20-25k. The Rega Apollo is 40+K. The Emotiva ERC 4 is almost 40k but has balanced outs (no use for me) and a digital inputs (will become redundant once my streamer gets back).

For those of you who still uses CD players, do the expensive players make a big difference? Lets say the Rega Apollo is half the price of the Saturn but uses the DAC chip. All the brands have entry level players and higher end ones which cost double to triple.

What would your suggestions be?

thank you!

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: CD Players 2021
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2021 at 01:03 PM »
If you have an existing DAC that you are happy with, check out the Cambridge CXC transport bro.
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline mousemouse

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2021 at 01:18 PM »
I am also considering the CXC (I think the price is around 33k) but my existing DAC is the one built in the Bluesound Node 2i only.  I am just thinking that in the off chance that my it gets broken again, I would need a separate DAC to run the CXC. Were you able to try the Cambridge CD players with built in DAC? Is it a big improvement when you use your external one?

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2021 at 02:03 PM »
I am also considering the CXC (I think the price is around 33k) but my existing DAC is the one built in the Bluesound Node 2i only.  I am just thinking that in the off chance that my it gets broken again, I would need a separate DAC to run the CXC. Were you able to try the Cambridge CD players with built in DAC? Is it a big improvement when you use your external one?

I have not tried any CA CD player with built in DAC. I use the CXC with my old PS Audio DAC and quite happy with it. You may be able to haggle down the price of the CXC I believe.  ;)
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline mousemouse

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2021 at 05:01 PM »
thank you! Sayang, I can't demo CD players due to the pandemic

Offline laukong

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2021 at 01:21 PM »
digitize your CDs, spend the 20k on a DAC capable of DXD and DSD512, PC or mac mini as audio player for audirvana.