Author Topic: Soundproofing: Need Suggestions  (Read 1311 times)

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Soundproofing: Need Suggestions
« on: Aug 26, 2011 at 07:56 AM »
Hello,I would like to ask for your suggestions as to how to soundproof a room. This is the case in our office. An office 10meters x 30 meters with plywood double walls and glass windows is located beside the shop floor and the sound from pounding metal  tends to resonate inside the office. The first floor is not so noisy since the wall is hollow blocks. The second floor with plywood double wall seems to magnify the sound. When you are at the shop floor, it does not seem too loud, however, when inside the office, it seems that the sound came from the inside the office. I was tasked do soundproof the office and have no idea how to go about it. Maybe the HT Gurus can contribute their knowledge and experience.. Off hand, I was thinking about putting some draperies/curtains on the walls. Would this work? The goal is to lessen the sound and not eliminate it. Thanks.. Please move if this is out of place.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Soundproofing: Need Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2011 at 08:52 AM »
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM »
IMHO, the proper treatment should be on the source side but seems they don't mind the noise they are creating. So you are in defense mode to atleast reduce the noise level.

Putting thick drapery as you mentioned is a good idea or other soft materials as absorber. if you can put some  decorative acoustics panels on the opposite wall will also help to reduce reverbaration.

HTH.  :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2011 at 12:27 PM »
Thanks guys. After reading the thread, I think I will use rockwool. Baka may sobra pa sa planta namin. Dami kasi excess sa ibang projects before. We use it as heat insulation kasi. We thought it was for heat insulation only. Pwede din pala sound insulation.