High-Def > Blu-ray Content

Recommended Concert Blu Rays?

<< < (2/28) > >>

Clondalkin:
I've watched The Police in Buenos Aires thrice (DL'd 23GB pure BD in TrueHD) and Im still looking for the hidden back up musicians.  They've got to be there somewhere in the dark areas of the backstage (or under).  I still cant believe a single lead guitarist, and a single bass guitarist can produce such rich collaboration of sounds.

Katherine Jenkins - gorgeous lady but kinda boring to watch the entire show - probably not my cup of tea but she's hot indeed.   Same as Kylie Minogue - hot but boring to watch in the long run.

My wife's guilty pleasure - Boyzone's last concert at Manchester (before the 2nd lead vocal untimely passed away).   Nakakabakla si Ronan Keating, and surprisingly, even my teenage daugher appreciated their music.

Foreigner Live- the new lead CAN sing!  I prefer the sound mix/quality of the 2008 version show (Soundstage) than the 2010 at the Ryman.  The vocals are clearer.

--- Quote from: ALICE GO on Sep 09, 2011 at 02:01 PM ---Also, THE POLICE LIVE IN BUENOS AIRES - an exquisite concert BD thats very suitable showing for the bigger screen TV displays. Sting is certifiably the boring, humdrum element of this concert; indulgent and apparently just going through the motions by now because his musical career has never plateau'd. But the amazing aspect of this concert is the Police's guitarist Andy Sommers. Andy, who is 10 years older than both Sting and the drummer, lent the barebones concert a sonic texture thats hard to believe is achieved only by his guitar. I tried to find a hidden keyboard or synthesizer player - the 4th man onstage - but there's nobody there, only the three. Hence, this concert is carried ably by the guitar masterwork of Andy the guitarist, minus the ambient help of a synthesizer or keyboard which could've made it as a New Wave reunion act at the same time.

Take also KATHERINE JENKINS THE O2 ARENA  - if you care for the mellower stuff, or operatic-tinged ballads. Jenkins alone on Blu Ray is already worth the price of admission.

--- End quote ---

streetsmart:
Magaling mag-recommend si Alice.  :)

Marami pa ako idadagdag later.

sovrain:
Mam alice, where could I possibly find concert videos (locally) of Michael mcdonald, quincy jones, the police... :) also looking for Crosby, stills and Nash concert, wings over america of Paul mccartney, and doobie brothers farewell tour ???
tnx

FrancisS:

--- Quote from: ALICE GO on Sep 09, 2011 at 02:01 PM ---FRANCIS, are you trying to collect Concert BDs? If you come to think of it, music BDs are the best collectables because their inherent interestingness doesn't dampened or dissipate easily. With movies you come to spend P1,500 or more for every title pero pagsasawaan mo na yan after three or five viewings. Wala nang repeat viewing value. You spend that much for entertainment thats meant to be disposable (unless Ben Hur yan, o Ten Commandments, o Wizard Of Oz or Sound Of Music - all of which are remastered in the ultra-high 4K process). But with concerts mai-enjoy mo siya even for years because as long as you wanted to hear the music once more, you'll come to return to the BD, like you do with a favorite CD. To look for the titles I cited to you, try to scour for them from AMAZON.UK - not Amazon US but U.K. The British Amazon is inexplicably cheaper with a more humane mailing charge.

Idagdag ko pa: MICHAEL MCDONALD THIS CHRISTMAS - an obscure BD featuring Christmas tunes sung by that soulful voice thats nonpareil, nothing else like it - the Michael McDonald vibrato vocals. Former lead of The Doobie Brothers and enjoying renaissance after renaissance of hit Motown revival albums, Mcdonald's BD is crisp, gorgeously staged and contains the right mix of Christmas tunes plus his pop hits (What A Fool Believes, etc.).

Also, THE POLICE LIVE IN BUENOS AIRES - an exquisite concert BD thats very suitable showing for the bigger screen TV displays. Sting is certifiably the boring, humdrum element of this concert; indulgent and apparently just going through the motions by now because his musical career has never plateau'd. But the amazing aspect of this concert is the Police's guitarist Andy Sommers. Andy, who is 10 years older than both Sting and the drummer, lent the barebones concert a sonic texture thats hard to believe is achieved only by his guitar. I tried to find a hidden keyboard or synthesizer player - the 4th man onstage - but there's nobody there, only the three. Hence, this concert is carried ably by the guitar masterwork of Andy the guitarist, minus the ambient help of a synthesizer or keyboard which could've made it as a New Wave reunion act at the same time.

Take also KATHERINE JENKINS THE O2 ARENA  - if you care for the mellower stuff, or operatic-tinged ballads. Jenkins alone on Blu Ray is already worth the price of admission.

--- End quote ---

Yes Alice, I totally agree with you that having a concert BD collection is quite good, that's why I want to start a concert collection apart from my BD Collection. :)

I'll have my THE POLICE LIVE IN BUENOS AIRES by October, hehehe  ;D ;)

streetsmart:
A quick list of very good bluray concerts (both pq and sq):

Les Miserables, 25th Anniversary
Paul Simon and Friends
Sting Live in Berlin
Dave Grusin, An Evening with
Harry Connick, Jr., On Broadway
Chris Botti in Boston
Diana Krall, Live in Rio
Sondheim! The Birthday Concert
k.d. lang, Live in London
Michael Bolton, Live at the Royal Albert Hall

And my absolute reference: "Amor, vida de mi vida", Zarzuelas with Placido Domingo and Ana Maria Martinez

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version