Author Topic: Miss Universe 2011  (Read 22735 times)

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
Re: Miss Universe 2011
« Reply #90 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 09:43 AM »
I think that shamcey's answer reflects the fact that Filipinos are no longer in touch with most of the world. Religion and religious differences are becoming less important now. Religious differences are becoming a source of atrocities so why drag it into marriage?

I don't quite agree with that. Speaking as a nonpracticing Catholic, I actually thought her answer reflected the strength of her convictions. Whatever your faith is doesn't matter. The point is you believe in something and are strong enough to fight for it.

More so with Shamcey being a Filipina. Allow me to be presumptuous for just a moment and I hope I don't offend our female members here but, Filipinas in general are viewed as submissive, compliant and willing to bend to the will of their husbands. That's not always the case, though, and Ms. Supsup just underscored the fact that Filipinas, or women for that matter, are much, much stronger than what society leads us to believe.

Sorry! Naging Big Talk bigla  ;D ;D ;D Heto na lang pambawi ko:

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #91 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM »
I think Miss Supsup did us proud. She deserved 1st runner-up, looks-wise. Not sure how much weight her answer had on the final ranking but it's more than likely that most of the judges have secular backgrounds and therefore did not/could not appreciate her answer.

Miss Angola truly is beautiful and exhuded pure class in her bearing.  She deserved the title in my opinion.      
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline BusyChild

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #92 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM »
great grandson of chocolate empire Coenraad van Houten, reportedly also proposed to Shamcey Supsup, but was immediately dumped when he introduced himself...

;D ;D sorry... i know its bad.. but it was there for the picking... ;D

Hahaha.... supsup!  ;D
May you get everything you want, but nothing that you need.

Offline BusyChild

• DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM »
"I'm going to file a protest if possible," says Sen. Miriam Santiago on Shamcey Supsup's 4th place finish

http://www.spot.ph/the-feed/49307/sen-miriam-santiago-on-shamcey-supsups-4th-place-finish-im-going-to-file-a-protest-if-possible-

"Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago said she is prepared to contest the fourth place (or third runner-up) finish of Miss Philippines Shamcey Supsup in the recently-concluded Miss Universe 2011 pageant in Sao Paulo, Brazil," reports GMA News Online.

The feisty senator told reporters: "I'm going to file a protest if possible. If there's a legal remedy I don't think that it might be taken as lacking in sportsmanship."

Santiago clarified that she was "not sour-graping" and speculated that the Miss Universe decision "may have been partly political." She explained that they probably wanted to pick "somebody from Portugal or thereabouts in that region" to win because Asians have supposedly been winining beauty contests for a while.

"Sometimes you can't discount these possibilities. They all deserve to win, except that I'm very disappointed because I thought that our contestant was an ideal candidate that represented the best of the Filipina," Santiago said.

The other candidates in Miss Universe 2011 Leila Lopes' entourage are: Miss Ukraine Olesya Stefanko (first runner-up), Miss Brazil Priscila Machado (second runner-up), and Miss China Luo Zilin (fourth runner up).

For more on this story, log on to GMA News Online.

Uhmmm.... uh..... err..  :-X

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #94 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM »

She's stunning! too bad she wasnt able to win it all.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #95 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM »
Hot!!   :o

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #96 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 11:22 AM »
"I'm going to file a protest if possible," says Sen. Miriam Santiago on Shamcey Supsup's 4th place finish

http://www.spot.ph/the-feed/49307/sen-miriam-santiago-on-shamcey-supsups-4th-place-finish-im-going-to-file-a-protest-if-possible-

"Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago said she is prepared to contest the fourth place (or third runner-up) finish of Miss Philippines Shamcey Supsup in the recently-concluded Miss Universe 2011 pageant in Sao Paulo, Brazil," reports GMA News Online.

The feisty senator told reporters: "I'm going to file a protest if possible. If there's a legal remedy I don't think that it might be taken as lacking in sportsmanship."

Santiago clarified that she was "not sour-graping" and speculated that the Miss Universe decision "may have been partly political." She explained that they probably wanted to pick "somebody from Portugal or thereabouts in that region" to win because Asians have supposedly been winining beauty contests for a while.

"Sometimes you can't discount these possibilities. They all deserve to win, except that I'm very disappointed because I thought that our contestant was an ideal candidate that represented the best of the Filipina," Santiago said.

The other candidates in Miss Universe 2011 Leila Lopes' entourage are: Miss Ukraine Olesya Stefanko (first runner-up), Miss Brazil Priscila Machado (second runner-up), and Miss China Luo Zilin (fourth runner up).

For more on this story, log on to GMA News Online.

Uhmmm.... uh..... err..  :-X

uhmmmm uh... errr....

dati isa ako sa mga nagtatanggol kay meriam na matalino lang sya at di naman totoo na may brenda sya...

pero ngayon.. ,mukang may tama nga..... ang mga chismis .... ;D

back to topak.. este topic:

nung nag english si shancey, sabi ko, parang makakaroon na ng distinction ang english with tagalog accent. parang nagiging mainstream na... you know....

pero sa aking opinyon lang.. sana gumamit nalang sya ng interpreter... may + kasi...  una, mas maexpress nyang mabuti ang sagot nya in native language... second, may time to think of panpa ganda points na succeeding answers habang nag iinterpret yung interpreter.. and 3rd, kung si vice ganda ang interpreter... tapos ang laban!!

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #97 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM »
Shamcey does represent the modern Filipina and Miss Universe 1960s. Nothing bad about that.

BUT she cannot represent Miss Universe 2011 because that crown celebrates diversity. How can you have diversity if you cannot even have religious tolerance?

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #98 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 02:12 PM »
Shamcey does represent the modern Filipina and Miss Universe 1960s. Nothing bad about that.

BUT she cannot represent Miss Universe 2011 because that crown celebrates diversity. How can you have diversity if you cannot even have religious tolerance?

I actually like her answer.  Answering along the lines of diversity or religious tolerance seems like saying you want World Peace.

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #99 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 02:21 PM »
Sino ba yung hawig ni Shamcey sa FHM Phils, I forgot her name...
Be better than the Theater.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #100 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 02:46 PM »
Si Cass Ponti? :)

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #101 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 02:49 PM »
shamcey gave a very honest answer---aprub!

meanwhile from facebook: basta, maganda ang mga pilipina, di na kailangan ng crown to prove it!---and also, world peace! ;D

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #102 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 02:58 PM »
shamcey gave a very honest answer---aprub!

meanwhile from facebook: basta, maganda ang mga pilipina, di na kailangan ng crown to prove it!---and also, world peace! ;D

yeah... and itinayo niya ang dangal ng mga babaing Filipina... (most of Filipina nagpapalit ng religion kapag nag-asawa na) pero siya hindi... if she thinks that her belief is right... bakit pa niya kailangang lumipat ng religion para lang sa minamahal niya.... hindi mo kailangang sumunod sa gusto ng lalaki... kung ayaw kang pakasalan ng lalaki dahil sa iyong religion hindi ka talaga mahal noon...

pero ala eh... talo pa rin ang ating ms.shamcey... Ms. Angolga really deserve the title.
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #103 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 03:32 PM »
Marami talagang magagaling from GenSan. Di man nakuha ni Ms Shamcey, nasungkit naman ni...

...Mommy D!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline BusyChild

• DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 03:34 PM »
^ Pwede!!! Pwede!!! Nice one! Hahaha....  ;D

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 03:37 PM »

I don't recall her saying her bf needs to change religion for her either. Did she?

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 03:48 PM »
No controversy for me regarding Miss Angola winning.  She was deserving as Shamcey would have been if the latter had won.     

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 04:12 PM »
Ms. Brazil could have won if the pageant were not held in Brazil.

Ms. China is in the same cut as the Japanese candidates who won 1st runner up and Ms. Universe respectively in 2006 and 2007

Ms. Ukraine's beauty is heavenly.

But yeah, Ms. Angola has the eXtra-Factor.  Watched her over and over and she really was special.

The last Q&A portion was irrelevant.  Too corny (as always) I think.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2011 at 04:17 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 05:13 PM »

Religion's got nothing to do with it. She didn't say that her God was better than anyone else's and she spoke on her faith and hers alone. That shows great character.

Ms. Universe of the 1960s!? Really!? Her response was thousands of times better than Miriam Quiambao's. Now, that's what you call 1960s.

I believe the exact quote was:

“If I have to change my religious beliefs, I would not marry the person that I love. Because the first person that I love is God, who created me.

“I have my faith and my principles, and this is what makes me who I am. If the person loves me, he’ll love my God, too.”

She's not asking anyone to change their beliefs. And she never attacked other religions. In fact, her message was all about tolerance and respect. Is sticking to your faith considered disrespectful and intolerant of other religions? If so, then we're all bigots.

Mag saya na lang tayo!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 05:55 PM »
I think that shamcey's answer reflects the fact that Filipinos are no longer in touch with most of the world. Religion and religious differences are becoming less important now. Religious differences are becoming a source of atrocities so why drag it into marriage?

i would have responded the same way

it only shows how much Shamcey values her upbringing and the faith she has. Those are the kind of responses that makes a person winner by heart, She has responded accroding to how she feels about her faith in God and her and for that, she becomes a real winner to me.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline dencio105

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 205
« Reply #110 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 06:15 PM »
Religion's got nothing to do with it. She didn't say that her God was better than anyone else's and she spoke on her faith and hers alone. That shows great character.

Ms. Universe of the 1960s!? Really!? Her response was thousands of times better than Miriam Quiambao's. Now, that's what you call 1960s.

“If I have to change my religious beliefs, I would not marry the person that I love. Because the first person that I love is God, who created me.

“I have my faith and my principles, and this is what makes me who I am. If the person loves me, he’ll love my God, too.”

She's not asking anyone to change their beliefs. And she never attacked other religions. In fact, her message was all about tolerance and respect. Is sticking to your faith considered disrespectful and intolerant of other religions? If so, then we're all bigots.

i would have responded the same way

it only shows how much Shamcey values her upbringing and the faith she has. Those are the kind of responses that makes a person winner by heart, She has responded accroding to how she feels about her faith in God and her and for that, she becomes a real winner to me.

^Well said!

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #111 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 06:18 PM »
Sa kanyang karakter at binitawang sagot, sa malamang masaya sya sa narating at natanggap. Ang mga tao lang ang sobrang naghangad ng korona. Ang di para syo kahit anong pilit mo, di mo makukuha maliban na lang kung dadaanin sa daya. Ang mapasama sa lima ay malaking karangalan na ah. Marahil nakakapanghinayang kasi halos abot na ang langit 'ika nga pero hindi eh... talagang ganun. Parang sa lotto yan, isang numero nalang jackpot na kaso hindi para s'yo. Makuntento na lang sa natamo.

Lahat na lang hihimayin para makakita ng butas para makapintas.

Para din sa boxing, kapag nanunuod ka, ang tama lang sa kalaban ang lagi mong inaabangan kaya kapag natalo sa desisyon ang manok mo magtataka ka.  ;)

Offline dorian_gray

• DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 07:01 PM »
actually, she said "she'll love my god"

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 07:37 PM »
actually, she said "she'll love my god"

Lesbian? Even better!  ;D

Offline dorian_gray

• DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 07:53 PM »
i'm actually surprised that nobody has picked that up until my post.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 08:05 PM »
I think it's a common slip of the tongue. She's not the only one to have that. Happens to everyone more often than not.

ETA: If it is true then, yahooooo!!!!  :o ;D :o ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2011 at 08:24 PM by Dan »

Offline dindop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Primus Inter Pares
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #116 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 09:59 PM »

oh man! more pics please... i wasn't able to watch the pageant, but did she really talk like the pacman during the Q&A portion?
RCD1072 RT-1080
Bravo,Overture
RB1090,RMB1095,RSP1098
B&W 805,HTM2,705,685
PDP428XG, 32C4000

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:37 PM »

Physically, she improved a lot. Saw her several times training at Gold's Gym Galleria where I used to work out. Although pretty sans makeup she was a ghastly stick-figure and I thought she needed to eat more and to pack some muscles in her upper body. The trainor must have been thinking the same thing.

And I thought her answer at the Q&A was superb! Honest, responsive and direct to the point. I would have answered the same thing. She worked that answer on the assumption that changing her religious belief was not an option, kaya nga she started with "If I have to change my religious beliefs." If you think about it, it was a very intelligent answer indeed.

But the judges have already spoken, so let us respect that and be very happy and proud of Shamcey coz she really blew everyone away with her beauty, intelligence and her signature "tsunami" walk.

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:45 PM by blitzkrieg »

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #118 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM »
i'm actually surprised that nobody has picked that up until my post.

It's a cultural thing, I suppose.  Few Filipinos have exposure to religions other than their own. 

Most pinoys have few friends or relatives that are not Christian.

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:56 PM »
 ;D Siguro naman you'd agree with me that when it comes to religious beliefs, ipaglalaban mo ng patayan yan.  So I think t's pointless debating on whether Shamcey answered correctly or not. To me she answered according to her religious conviction. Had she been a Muslim, she would have answered the same thing believe me.

But we cannot undo what has been done. Shamcey will forever be 3rd Runner up unless Ms. Angola dies, followed by Misses Ukraine and Brazil hahaha!!! Pero ang Pinoy talaga, in less than 24 hours, nagawa na ito. Watch!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-0vug5TSNY