Author Topic: Pls Suggest: Preamp for Passive Bi-amp + Subwoofer  (Read 1198 times)

Offline armymanhaha

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Pls Suggest: Preamp for Passive Bi-amp + Subwoofer
« on: Sep 13, 2011 at 05:10 PM »
I need a Pre-amp with at least 3 stereo pre-outs. The breakdown for that is: 2 outputs for my 2x amplifiers, and another stereo pre-out for a subwoofer. The source is a Xonar STX soundcard. Any suggestions? Lets go cheap as much as possible  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2011 at 08:30 PM by armymanhaha »
"Audiophools layuan nyo ako"

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Pls Suggest: Preamp for Passive Bi-amp + Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 08:15 PM »
Any suggestions? Or should I just use a splitter? But I think that by doing this, ma-dedegrade yung signal hence lower SQ. Any input will be much appreciated.

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM »
try to ask brader jojod or sir tonyt if they can make one, or use the xonar's control as pre amp and connect the amps directly to the xonar  ;)

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM »
I need a Pre-amp with at least 3 stereo pre-outs. The breakdown for that is: 2 outputs for my 2x amplifiers, and another stereo pre-out for a subwoofer. The source is a Xonar STX soundcard. Any suggestions? Lets go cheap as much as possible  ;D

Most preamps only have 2 preouts at best.  What I've found is that using the speaker level inputs of your subwoofer leads to a better sound as the sub receives the same signal as your main speakers. But that's assuming you use only 1 amp. Since you're bi-amping, you may need to use one of the pre outs for the sub, and use a splitter for the signals going to the amp, kung hindi mo feel mag wire directly from your amps' speaker outputs to your sub.

Even with splitters though, as long as you use a decent cable and short interconnect lengths, you may not notice any signal degradation.  You can use the splitter at the sound card's rca out, to lessen the degradation somewhat, pero kulang pa rin.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM »
If your power amps have line level outputs too, then perhaps you just chain them one after the other (especially if the outputs are buffered).
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM by Stagea »

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 01:49 PM »
Well, I have experimented using the high level connection of the sub. Basically, what I did now is have the the woofer's binding post on the speaker connected to the sub since I want the speakers to go full range not having to be filtered by the sub's xover.. my question now is, may degradation ba sa signal tong ginawa ko? BTW the sub I'm using is a Definitive Tech ProSub200TL. single amp setup muna.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2011 at 02:10 PM by armymanhaha »

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 04:48 PM »
Well, I have experimented using the high level connection of the sub. Basically, what I did now is have the the woofer's binding post on the speaker connected to the sub since I want the speakers to go full range not having to be filtered by the sub's xover.. my question now is, may degradation ba sa signal tong ginawa ko? BTW the sub I'm using is a Definitive Tech ProSub200TL. single amp setup muna.

Actually, the correct way to use the speaker level imput of the sub is to wire it separately just as you would a normal speaker. So:

Normal setup: amp left output + to left speaker +, amp left output - to left speaker -; same thing with the right side

Subwoofer connection: assuming the sub has both left and right speaker inputs, you wire it the same way as you would a normal amp to speaker connection, with the difference being connecting 2 pairs of wire to you single sub.

In this way, the sub gets the full signal from your amp on both the left and right side.

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 05:37 PM »
Actually, the correct way to use the speaker level imput of the sub is to wire it separately just as you would a normal speaker. So:

Normal setup: amp left output + to left speaker +, amp left output - to left speaker -; same thing with the right side

Subwoofer connection: assuming the sub has both left and right speaker inputs, you wire it the same way as you would a normal amp to speaker connection, with the difference being connecting 2 pairs of wire to you single sub.

In this way, the sub gets the full signal from your amp on both the left and right side.

Got it! Many thanks  ;D Now, di ko na need ng extra pre-out for my planned bi-amplification. Eto nalang gagawin ko.