Author Topic: Good CDPs under 20K  (Read 11037 times)

Offline NADphyle

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Good CDPs under 20K
« on: Aug 21, 2011 at 07:00 AM »
pesos ha? :)

Please post brand/model... pics are welcome :)

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Good CDPs under 20K
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2011 at 07:24 AM »

My Share:

Cambridge Audio = D-300

Nakamichi = OMS-4

Marantz = Digital Monitoring Series CD-75 II

:)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2011 at 09:36 AM »
Cambridge Audio 550C, 350C

Marantz CD6003/6004, CD5003/5004

NAD C545BEE, C515BEE

Onkyo C-S5VL

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 05:09 AM »
Cambridge Audio 550C, 350C

Marantz CD6003/6004, CD5003/5004

NAD C545BEE, C515BEE

Onkyo C-S5VL

Master, which of these do you highly recommend?
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2011 at 05:09 AM by sientobente »

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 07:43 AM »
Cayin CD 50T - Tubed CD Player with both digital and analogue outputs.  Price indicated in the link is for a preowned unit.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,114676.0.html

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2011 at 07:45 AM by JoeyGS »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 08:50 AM »

Master, which of these do you highly recommend?

Master Gerard, I suggest you make your own choice. I don't recommend a particular item, because what I like may be truly disgusting to someone else. I'm pretty sure our respective sonic preferences deviate from each other quite significantly.

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM »
Master Gerard, I suggest you make your own choice. I don't recommend a particular item, because what I like may be truly disgusting to someone else. I'm pretty sure our respective sonic preferences deviate from each other quite significantly.

You know naman Master Ivan that your taste exceeds all our expectations. So kung san si master Ivan, dun kami  ;D So going back to these choices, what are you gonna get assuming you have your usual 20k spare change in your car's ash tray and you just thought of installing one for your bathroom?
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2011 at 10:39 AM by sientobente »

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM »
You know naman Master Ivan that your taste exceeds all our expectations. So kung san si master Ivan, dun kami  ;D So going back to these choices, what are you gonna get assuming you have your usual 20k spare change in your car's ash tray and you just thought of installing one for your bathroom?

Malamang personal choice ni master Ivan would be Cambridge.   ;D
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM »
Malamang personal choice ni master Ivan would be Cambridge.   ;D

i second. ;D
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 01:04 PM »
Malamang personal choice ni master Ivan would be Cambridge.   ;D

I have a somewhat divergent sonic preference, which makes me favor units that are otherwise unpopular (at least locally).

I'd personally choose the Marantz CD6003/6004 or the Cambridge 550C. The CD6003/6004, because I like its spectral balance and the fact that it has a USB port. The 550C because I like the detail and PRaT of this model, plus the fact that I've had very good experiences with Avesco/5th Ave. Both the 550C and the CD6003/6004 are the only players here that I've heard deliver some appreciable depth. The CD5003/5004 is also a great budget option, trading some of the 6003/6004's pace for an expressive and weighty sound (Stereophile and What Hi-Fi love this model).

The CS-5VL supports SACDs and allows the use of different digital filters, giving it an edge in terms of features. I have SACDs, so this might be my choice if I didn't have any other player. The presentation somewhat approximates the Rotel sound, which is a good middle ground (imo).

The NADs deliver a different sound (carrying a more pleasant and flowing character), which I also enjoy --- however, it's not the one that I prefer. Despite this, the C515BEE is such a great bang/buck player that it's hard to ignore. The C545BEE is a livelier listen, with the same wide and shallow stage.

Just like other budget players, the 350C has a warmer and more rounded character (when compared to upper models of the same maker). In my opinion, it's gone too far that it almost sounds like a chestier NAD with LF steroids (losing most of the stereotypical CA sound). I'm sure a lot of people would prefer it this way, based on my observation (and what dealers have told me).

Any of these models can sound great, as long as you get a good match for your system (and your sonic palate).
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2011 at 02:43 AM by Stagea »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 01:09 PM »
You know naman Master Ivan that your taste exceeds all our expectations. So kung san si master Ivan, dun kami  ;D So going back to these choices, what are you gonna get assuming you have your usual 20k spare change in your car's ash tray and you just thought of installing one for your bathroom?

Lokoloko ka. I'm just a man with empty pockets who's often forced to scavenge from discarded items.

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 08:57 PM »

ehehe. nice one master gerard  ;D
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2011 at 03:19 AM »
In most cases, entry level Hi-Fi gear (some people call them Mid-Fi) will handle vocals, smooth jazz, pop, etc. without a problem. They're often voiced for those genres, and have a safer overall sound (making them less sensitive to component partnering). They paint images with broader strokes, putting more emphasis on musicality than on the technical correctness of the presentation. They tend to have a smooth and lush "wide-screen" sound. It's easy to build a system that's musical and enjoyable with these components, and it is a perfect starting point for those who are just starting to explore the HiFi route.

As you go up model lines, you get more flexible components. These components are more neutral-sounding and deliver better PRaT, focus, spacing, depth and detail. These are suitable for more demanding materials, such as classical works and big band music. They reveal details and nuances in high resolution recordings, and deliver the urgency and dynamics of high impact tracks.

A lot of people would not warm up to the analytical character of most mid-level and high-end hifi components, as it is an acquired taste. This opens the niche for makers who focus on building rich-sounding components and remedies (like cables that attenuate the high frequencies). There is nothing wrong with those, but I think it deviates from the goal of high fidelity reproduction.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2011 at 04:24 PM by Stagea »

Offline NADphyle

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2011 at 09:54 PM »
What are the current NAD models in the market?  How much is the 515 bnew?

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 03:16 PM »
SRP is 28K but we can provide some discounts for serious buyers :)  Slightly more than 20K but you get a tube CDP that can rival those twice its price.

Pre-owned units for CDT-50 arent as common - which is a good sign since it tells your that it is for keeps :)

Cayin CD 50T - Tubed CD Player with both digital and analogue outputs.  Price indicated in the link is for a preowned unit.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,114676.0.html

Offline Ms. Tisa

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • to hear is to believe...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 05:24 PM »

Cayin CD-50T replaces the much talked about and award winning CD 252B that was on the market for 3 years. CD-50T is updated with the new drive from Sony, all-new motherboard with the new DAC  and digital filters, upgraded power supplies, discrete edify tube output stage.

CD-50T has a warmer signature and will certainly go further down in the bass range with a wider soundstage. Designed in apperance to match the A-55TP Amplifier.

In the digital section of this highly advanced CD player, Cayin uses the latest filter technology with HDCD compatibility. In the output stage, there is a lot of traditional valve technology, refining the grade of musical revelation to the max. The CD-50T’s weight is 7,8 kg, which underlines the fundamental solidity of it’s extraordinary construction.

FEATURES

• Burr Brown PCM1732 DAC.

• 12AU7 Tube Output.

• HDCD Decoding.

• Designed to match A-50T and A-55T dimensions.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011 at 03:30 PM by kit_katz »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 10:58 PM »
Yamaha CD-3 currently at the PDVD audio hardware marketplace.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 08:45 AM »
I saw one in the Marketplace it was a Rotel from KUDOZ at 14k, it was a good high end CDP (didnt take note of the model), I cant seem to locate it anymore. Sayang it was a good unit.
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2011 at 02:13 PM »

Sarap upgrade nung mga puting Caps ;D
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)