Author Topic: 5.1 setup need help (newbie)  (Read 1557 times)

Offline andrewlim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
5.1 setup need help (newbie)
« on: Sep 28, 2011 at 07:06 PM »
Guys I will be ordering some audio equipment in the states for my upcoming dedicated HT room. Shipping is not a problem since nagrent na kami ng 40 feet container van which will be used for some home appliances etc we bought in the states para sa pinapagawa naming bahay dito sa ph. HT Room is 26.75 m² floor area and around 8-9 ft high (closed room). This will be my first attempt for separates and its a whole new ball field for me. Aiming for a bang for the buck 5.1 setup for a starter like me and will upgrade in the future as I venture to this exciting yet expensive hobby. :) Nagsimula po sa $2000 ang allowed ni mrs for the audio system na bumaba ng bumaba dahil kung anu ano po ang pinagbibili ko ($1000-1200 nalang allowed ni mrs ngayon LOL). Thats why I need to do this fast bago magbago isip ni mrs at bumaba pa lalo ito! Been researching ALOT lately and here is the setup Im planning to buy.

AVR Onkyo TX-NR609 $390.97 amazon
Center Polk CS2 $110 newegg
Fronts L/R 2xPolk Monitor 60 $300 pair newegg
Surrounds L/R 2xPolk Monitor 40 $120 pair newegg
Sub HSU STF-2 $350 HSU Research

This will be working along with a samsung un60d7000 led tv, a ps3 for blu-ray movies/gaming, and synology DS211j NAS server that i will be installing plex onto for my media server (mkv avi etc player). Everything will be connected to a gigabit network.

What do you guys think?? Any advice will be much appreciated! Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011 at 07:11 PM by andrewlim »

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
Re: 5.1 setup need help (newbie)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 07:38 PM »
Room size is very good. There's a lot you can do with that size room but with your limited audio budget, hirap siguro to improve on your plans sa audio.

I suggest you look at a projector instead. Baka mas mura na, mas maganda pa. Tell us what's the cost of the TV & we could give good suggestions on the projector.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline andrewlim

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 08:08 PM »
Hi streetsmart yeah thats the highest I can squeeze outta my wife on audio equips right now. Do you think its enough to make her happy after hearing it? I need that first impression wow factor so I can easily convince her on my future upgrades :D

Regarding on the TV (samsung un60d7000), already bought it at sears for $2,889 inc. tax.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 09:37 PM »
For me, given your budget, ok na plan mo for audio (tho I'm sure dami dito will suggest other speakers & amp). It will definitely impress, but only if speakers are properly positioned and if you have some acoustic treatment sa room. Dami makakatulong sa yo.

Why don't you describe the room, especially dimensions & construction material?

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM »
this may seem a bias suggestion but id go for an all SVS set up instead, maybe a bit out of your budget range but certainly worth looking at, your room is quite huge already and using smallish and less powerfull stuff may get yuo wanting for more immediately. The SVS SCS LCR speakers coupled with a PB10 NSD subwoofer can bring wonders to that room size at not that exhorbitant cost, you may PM or call mike c for futher inquiries and audition so you can hear for yourself the set.

as for the receiver, the 609 may, yuo may want to look for a lower model but better say an 808, 807 or 707 as these might be close to the price of the 609 you posted, if its not, then the 609 should be a good start
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline andrewlim

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 01:24 AM »
Why don't you describe the room, especially dimensions & construction material?

HT Room has concrete walls and wood flooring as far as i know. The house is still under construction and the target is december but I doubt it... prolly feb or march. Really new to the audio world so please suggest some things I can do to improve the room accoustics. The architect told me that he will be doing some accoustic treatment for the room but I havent gone through the details yet. Any suggestion regarding this will be very much welcome as I will be meeting him this monday. I will be putting 4 lazy boys and a small sofa for those family / friends bonding movie nights! A tv stand with divider shelves for the equips. I guess thats pretty much furniture that I will be putting inside the room.

this may seem a bias suggestion but id go for an all SVS set up instead, maybe a bit out of your budget range but certainly worth looking at, your room is quite huge already and using smallish and less powerfull stuff may get yuo wanting for more immediately. The SVS SCS LCR speakers coupled with a PB10 NSD subwoofer can bring wonders to that room size at not that exhorbitant cost, you may PM or call mike c for futher inquiries and audition so you can hear for yourself the set.

as for the receiver, the 609 may, yuo may want to look for a lower model but better say an 808, 807 or 707 as these might be close to the price of the 609 you posted, if its not, then the 609 should be a good start

Just ordered the audio items earlier kasi hinahabol po namin yun sched nung container van. Forgive me if I will pass on the audition muna baka kasi ma-disappoint ako pagnarinig ko yun system na binili ko hehehe. Pahirapan din yun system sa approval ni wifey pero buti pumayag din. Anyways, I guess im happy nadin for I am just starting with the hobby and have alot to learn. I look at it this way nalang, by starting on a lower end system, I will be forced to find ways to make it better... more learning along the way. I will eventually learn why I need this and that.. why this is better than that... and therefore appreciate it much more when I upgrade. Thanks for the suggestion though I really do appreciate it and yeah its my fault for asking help too late :(

Offline andrewlim

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 02:32 AM »
Oh I forgot to add this but here are the items I ordered for the audio wirings etc from monoprice. I highlighted them.

Will install wirings in-wall (7.2 setup for future upgrades) and will use banana binding wall post for each channel speaker except for the center and the sub. All of them will terminate at the 8.2 distribution wall plate located at the wall just behind the receiver (below the tv).

Question: Will using these multiple banana binding wall posts / banana plugs reduce the quality of the sound?
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2011 at 02:34 AM by andrewlim »

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 03:11 AM »
Oh I forgot to add this but here are the items I ordered for the audio wirings etc from monoprice. I highlighted them.

Will install wirings in-wall (7.2 setup for future upgrades) and will use banana binding wall post for each channel speaker except for the center and the sub. All of them will terminate at the 8.2 distribution wall plate located at the wall just behind the receiver (below the tv).

Question: Will using these multiple banana binding wall posts / banana plugs reduce the quality of the sound?

there are people who prefer bare wire as they say this minmizes losses but for ease of use, banana plugs are very convenient, from my end, i dont think i would even recognize losses if there are any, im using several banana plugs too.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 07:24 AM »
I suggest you read this thread: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,3739.0.html

You need corner bass traps and broadband absorbers at the first reflection points. The thread above will give you a good idea where to source the material (rockwool) and how to build and install them. Your alternative is to PM @trod93. He builds them.

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 01:19 PM »
The route you're taking of buying entry level equipments now and upgrading later is going to be costly in the long run. But everytime you upgrade and notice an improvement, that's the fulfilling part of this hobby. ;)

If you haven't bought the 60" LED TV yet, I would have also recommended buying a projector set-up instead. You get a much bigger screen at a relatively cheaper price. For roughly around $1,650, you could have gotten yourself a 120" projector set-up! Compared to the $2,889 60" LED TV, this is twice the screen size at almost half the price. You would have saved $1239 which you can add to your audio set-up budget for a total of $2439!

It's not yet too late though because you can sell the items here and possibly earn profit pa nga if you got them cheaper than current local prices! ;D

But if you're already decided on keeping the items, what's important is that you be able to set-up and calibrate your equipments properly to maximize their potential. Now is also the best time to integrate the acoustic panels with the design of your A/V room. Don't skimp on the these treatments because they are an integral part of a good home theater system.

Congrats and have fun! 8)
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2011 at 09:50 AM by Billabong »