Author Topic: Community  (Read 12416 times)

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Community
« on: Oct 21, 2011 at 08:54 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1439629/

i liked his humor sa 'the soup', kaya jumped on this series recently (soon as i heard about it)
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2012 at 08:21 AM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Re: Community
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2011 at 09:01 AM »
Finally, a thread about this underrated series--I love this show; it's actually brilliant and funnier than most comedies like the overhyped Modern Family; too bad it's getting clobbered in the ratings.

And pop culture aficionado Abed is one of the quirkiest characters to ever appear on TV--his love for Cougar Town resulted in one of the strangest unannounced crossovers between two shows airing on different networks, with 2 characters from Cougar Town doing a cameo on Community, and himself doing a cameo on Cougar Town the week after.  ;D

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2011 at 09:09 AM »
yeah, i look forward to the end credits where abed and troy show their "talents"
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2011 at 09:37 AM »
Finally, a thread about this underrated series--I love this show; it's actually brilliant and funnier than most comedies like the overhyped Modern Family; too bad it's getting clobbered in the ratings.

And pop culture aficionado Abed is one of the quirkiest characters to ever appear on TV--his love for Cougar Town resulted in one of the strangest unannounced crossovers between two shows airing on different networks, with 2 characters from Cougar Town doing a cameo on Community, and himself doing a cameo on Cougar Town the week after.  ;D

Agree! I've been following this tv series since day 1 and it is very funny. Plus Annie is HOOOT! haha!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2011 at 09:45 AM »
For me, this is the most consistently funny sitcom on air. It's a MUST for pop culture enthusiasts. Amazing how they never run out of ideas of things to spoof.

That this show received no writing/acting/directing/best show Emmy nominations is a crime.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2011 at 02:04 AM »
Cool.cool.cool. Thanks for the thread, mike c!

Britta is my favorite character, though it looks like they have no idea what to do with her this season. I think they even admitted it when Abed called her a Wild Card in "Remedial Chaos Theory"
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2011 at 02:08 AM by MultipleAngles »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2011 at 09:54 AM »
Joel McHale does his People Magazine Sexiest Man Alive video:

http://youtu.be/WZ2hYXAocTc

:D

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2011 at 12:11 PM »

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM »
what? sayang ganda pa naman nung last episode...the "kiss from a rose" song is still playing in my head!

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM »
what? sayang ganda pa naman nung last episode...the "kiss from a rose" song is still playing in my head!

yeah that last episode was hilarious
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2011 at 01:33 AM »
It will still air until January 5. Saddened by the development, though. It makes a 4th season really unlikely.

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2011 at 04:49 AM »
based on viewership, it's not spectacular, but it's also at least not the bottom of the barrel ...
i don't get why there are other shows that have fewer viewers but are still on the air.
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2011 at 08:36 AM »
It's like Arrested Development all over again.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2011 at 04:34 PM »
based on viewership, it's not spectacular, but it's also at least not the bottom of the barrel ...

Actually, for NBC, I think it IS virtually the bottom of the barrel - the only show they have with lower ratings is CHUCK, and that's officially ending, so it probably isn't too much of a concern for them.

If Vulture is to believed, though, then there's definitely hope for the show: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/11/vulture-answers-your-questions-about-communitys-future.html

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2011 at 09:22 PM »
NBC just shelved Community. Damn! Not cool!

http://www.tvline.com/2011/11/nbc-scheduling-changes-grimm-up-all-night/

Ngyar. I haven't been happy with this latest season, but I'm really bummed by this news. On the plus side, I instantly fell in love with Happy Endings so at least I have a rebound, just in case (although I hear that show's ratings aren't that great either)
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2011 at 09:24 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2011 at 01:29 PM »
And of course after the benching, Community comes up with what I feel is the best episode of the 3rd season. Sayang!

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 10:11 AM »
And of course after the benching, Community comes up with what I feel is the best episode of the 3rd season. Sayang!

totally agree!!!

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 10:30 AM »

+1.  the irony.

Ngyar. I haven't been happy with this latest season, but I'm really bummed by this news. On the plus side, I instantly fell in love with Happy Endings so at least I have a rebound, just in case (although I hear that show's ratings aren't that great either)

i tried this series when i read your post above.  i felt, the first episode didn't actually fit in (the rest of the episodes, seems like characters' attitudes were changed after the pilot, for the better IMO) but i've watched it straight through to the current episode and two thumbs up!
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2011 at 01:45 PM »
Community wins TV Guide's Fan Favorites Poll; the show received around 300,000 votes from fans on TV Guide's Facebook page, besting other fan favorites like Chuck and The Vampire Diaries.

The win resulted in 3 different covers for TV Guide's December 5, 2011 issue:

Also, College Humor launches a Save Greendale video with the cast of Community:
http://youtu.be/F52jXbG9gNc

Pop Pop!  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2011 at 01:46 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2011 at 02:48 PM »
^Pop pop!

Quote from: Mr. Hankey
+1.  the irony.

+1+1+1+1 All the episodes starting with Annie's moving episode have been fantastic. Very ironic and unfortunate :(

i tried this series when i read your post above.  i felt, the first episode didn't actually fit in (the rest of the episodes, seems like characters' attitudes were changed after the pilot, for the better IMO) but i've watched it straight through to the current episode and two thumbs up!

Hahaha, you're a better person than me: if I'd seen the pilot first, I wouldn't have given this show a second look. Luckily, my girlfriend was watching an episode from the 2nd season one day, and the rest was history.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2011 at 02:53 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM »
For me, Season 2 was possibly the best sophomore season of any show. No sophomore slump.

Seasons 1 and 3 are about at the same level for me. Highs and lows. When it's on, it's AMAZING; and when it's off... it's still much better than most crap on air.

Time Magazine's analysis of the show is very accurate:

Community is television's first Cubist sitcom. Like the still lifes of Picasso or Braque, it starts with a simple tableau: a set of friends/acquaintances/nemeses in a community-college study group. Then, episode by episode — like a painter breaking a guitar into geometric shapes — obsessive creator Dan Harmon rearranges its component parts to play with perspective and create a picture truer than real life. One week the story is built around seven alternative timelines. Another, it's a parody of My Dinner with Andre. Another, it's told entirely through flashbacks to Community episodes that were never made. It's not just invention for its own sake but a way of using the storytelling frame to show how each character in the ensemble relates to the whole. Yet Community is not some high-art experiment but hilarious, good-time entertainment; it both defies sitcom formulas and lovingly embraces them. Unfortunately, NBC has just placed the low-rated series on hiatus. It should return later next year, and it may yet be renewed. If not, what we've gotten is worth hanging in a museum.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2011 at 11:43 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM »
For me, Season 2 was possibly the best sophomore season of any show. No sophomore slump.

Seasons 1 and 3 are about at the same level for me. Highs and lows. When it's on, it's AMAZING; and when it's off... it's still much better than most crap on air.

Community is television's first Cubist sitcom. Like the still lifes of Picasso or Braque, it starts with a simple tableau: a set of friends/acquaintances/nemeses in a community-college study group. Then, episode by episode — like a painter breaking a guitar into geometric shapes — obsessive creator Dan Harmon rearranges its component parts to play with perspective and create a picture truer than real life. One week the story is built around seven alternative timelines. Another, it's a parody of My Dinner with Andre. Another, it's told entirely through flashbacks to Community episodes that were never made. It's not just invention for its own sake but a way of using the storytelling frame to show how each character in the ensemble relates to the whole. Yet Community is not some high-art experiment but hilarious, good-time entertainment; it both defies sitcom formulas and lovingly embraces them. Unfortunately, NBC has just placed the low-rated series on hiatus. It should return later next year, and it may yet be renewed. If not, what we've gotten is worth hanging in a museum.

^ Pop Pop!

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 01:45 PM »
The Christmas episode was a hilarious dig at Glee! Plus, they actually wrote original songs! Take that !

Pero they conveniently tiptoed around the fact that Abed is a muslim...or did i miss something?

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 08:03 PM »

LOL, right on the money!

The best lingering image of this show for me is the one where the gang's making a diorama of themselves making a diorama.  ;D

The Christmas episode was somewhat bittersweet because it's the final episode for now, with no announced return date for next year; my guess is that it will return during summer, but hopefully sooner than that.

The end credits sequence, with the Dean, Chang, Magnitude, Star-Burns and Leonard doing their rendition of "Carol of the Bells" was freaking hilarious.  :D  

Pero they conveniently tiptoed around the fact that Abed is a muslim...or did i miss something?

Hmm, not sure, but maybe it's because he was the first to be turned to the musical side, so his religion was never mentioned.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2011 at 08:22 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 01:43 AM »
I have a feeling Abed's non-practicing, or very moderate. My take is he follows the call of pop culture first and foremost. He did try to be Jesus in the second season  ;D so I'm sure Christmas is all fair in his eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2011 at 01:46 AM by MultipleAngles »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2012 at 11:35 AM »
Community is now being aired on the FOX Channel Asia...I miss these guys already.  :P

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 08:06 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/nbc-chief-says-community-coming-back-194836342.html

It's odd though that most of the USA press omitted some important details about what he said:

"Greenblatt addressed several long-standing issues straight off the top. The ratings-challenged cult comedy Community "has not been cancelled," he said. "It will definitely return at some point during the spring."

Greenblatt would not commit to further episodes beyond this season, however.

"We'll just have to see how our midseason performs," he said. "We have a really tight schedule with comedies, and there's not really a lot of room to move in. We need to take a look at the six new comedies we have coming this season, and then figure out where Community makes most sense."

Full article can be found here.

Offline mike c

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 08:10 AM »
It's odd though that most of the USA press omitted some important details about what he said:

Full article can be found here.

wow.  that sounds bleak for community ...
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM »
Illustrator Aviv Or's brilliant take on the cast of Community as the X-Men:   ;D