Author Topic: MNET Channel and International Reality Competition Singing Shows  (Read 239805 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
[This thread was about certain channels that used to be on Destiny Cable. Since those channels are no longer available, I modified the thread title to reflect the topic that was being discussed most recently on this thread.]

With the loss of AXN, I was about to call Destiny to cancel my subscription, but they're currently test broadcasting a very interesting channel on Channel 47: MNET.

MNET features the following TV shows:

Smallville Season 2
Friends Season 9
24 Season 2
American Dreams Season 1
Boomtown Season 1
Less Than Perfect Season 1
The Secret Life of Us Season 2
Alias Season 2 (? - it says 3, but that hasn't aired yet)
Relic Hunter
Without A Trace Season 1
JKX: The Jamie Kennedy Experiment
The District
Boston Public Season 2
The Wire
CSI and/or CSI: Miami
The Guardian
Fear Factor
Big Brother Africa
Idols Africa
(Franchise of American Idol/Pop Idol)

And during their non-primetime hours, they show stuff like The Oprah Winfrey Show, Jerry Springer and All My Children... plus UNCUT and commercial-free movies.

The schedule that can be found on this site is accurate to what Destiny's been showing: http://www.mnet.co.za Choose MNET West -  the schedule is different from what's listed for MNET Domestic. Just do the time zone adjustment on your own by adding 6 hours to what's listed.

The channel is a TV addicts' trap!  ::)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017 at 09:33 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re:MNET on Destiny Cable: WOW!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 07:29 PM »
Whoa.  This is a relief for me too. Pero sayang, no Amazing Race (meron pa kaya sa Studio 23 nito?). Great that Boomtown and CSI Miami are on the line-up though.  
Was out of the country for about a week and when i turned on my TV kanina, AXN was gone!  Read in the Inquirer today that AXN was indeed gone from Destiny.  Looks like part of the conspiracy to monopolize cable tv industry.  Hmmm.  

I really don't want to switch kaya kahit wala ng sports channels at movie channels ang Destiny, tuloy pa rin ako.  Let's see how long I can last.  

Destiny is also promoting an alleged "sports" channel, Ch 57, which to date is showing nothing but a blank screen.  Hope it pans out also.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2003 at 07:49 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 08:04 PM »
Movie Magic on Destiny's Channel 48 is also pretty good, and is similarly uncut/commercial free.

Currently showing is Melissa Joan Hart's Drive Me Crazy.

Other movies listed for this week are Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, Bicentennial Man, Ride With The Devil, Hellraiser: Inferno, Final Destination, My Dog Skip, Body Shots, Erin Brockovich, Ready to Rumble, Jerry Springer's Ringmaster, Fearless, Rat Race, Space Cowboys, Lovers of the Arctic Circle, Cape Fear, An Affair to Remember, Boiler Room, etc.

For showtime schedules, go to http://www.mnet.co.za, click TV Guide, select Movie Magic (Africa), then add SIX HOURS to their schedule to convert to Philippine time.

I mean, they can get rid of the heavily censored HBO Asia at this point and I wouldn't mind. :)
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2003 at 12:19 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:MNET/Movie Magic on Destiny Cable: WOW!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2003 at 01:14 AM »
like i said in the other thread. darnit darnit darnit. THis is what i get for switching to sky.

I hpe sky gets a wind of it and gets that one too. he he he.  ;D

I wonder if Dream has this channel.
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2003 at 02:30 AM by acidburn »
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2003 at 07:03 PM »
Movie Magic on Destiny's Channel 48 is also pretty good, and is similarly uncut/commercial free. You can access the schedule at the same site listed above.

Currently showing is Melissa Joan Hart's Drive Me Crazy.

Other movies listed for this week are Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, Bicentennial Man, Ride With The Devil, Hellraiser: Inferno, Final Destination, My Dog Skip, Body Shots, Erin Brockovich, Ready to Rumble, Jerry Springer's Ringmaster, Fearless, Rat Race, Space Cowboys, Lovers of the Arctic Circle, Cape Fear, An Affair to Remember, Boiler Room, etc.

I mean, they can get rid of the heavily censored HBO Asia at this point and I wouldn't mind. :)

ya know what i like best... that they actually show foreign films... not just hollywood movies! i saw a black and white french film (with vanessa paradis) this afternoon. a german film last night... and an taiwanese film earlier this morning! nice!  ;D

oh... and despite the fact that reality tv isn't at all what i expected... my bro and i are appreciating it's programming more and more everyday... current fave show: CHEATERS!!  :P

oh BTW, those shows you listed earlier sir hanky... why are they listed as encoded? does that mean these are the times MNET switches to K (a kid's channel)? so we won't be able to watch those shows? haven't seen any of them kasi.  :-\
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2003 at 07:07 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2003 at 07:13 PM »
it's nice to know I'm still on Destiny ::)
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline johndoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2003 at 07:15 PM »
its on testing palang ata.. ::)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2003 at 12:07 AM »
oh BTW, those shows you listed earlier sir hanky... why are they listed as encoded? does that mean these are the times MNET switches to K (a kid's channel)? so we won't be able to watch those shows? haven't seen any of them kasi.  :-\

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're looking at the M-NET Domestic schedule, then that means the programs are  encoded in South Africa. M-NET airs 2 hours on regular broadcast there, with the rest of the programming via subscription, and as such, is encoded.

You should look at the schedule for M-NET West (Africa). The schedule seems to perfectly correspond with what Destiny's been showing if you add 6 hours to the listed time. Hence K-TV was probably on from 3:00PM-7:20PM? I wasn't watching, so I'm not sure. But the schedule is accurate for the current Forever Fever broadcast on that network.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2003 at 12:11 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2003 at 02:10 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean. If you're looking at the M-NET Domestic schedule, then that means the programs are  encoded in South Africa. M-NET airs 2 hours on regular broadcast there, with the rest of the programming via subscription, and as such, is encoded.

You should look at the schedule for M-NET West (Africa). The schedule seems to perfectly correspond with what Destiny's been showing if you add 6 hours to the listed time. Hence K-TV was probably on from 3:00PM-7:20PM? I wasn't watching, so I'm not sure. But the schedule is accurate for the current Forever Fever broadcast on that network.

yeah... i get it... i just get confused why they switch to k-tv sometimes. bago pa lang kasi... so i'm still getting used to the schedule...  siguro i need to print it out or something.  :-\

Offline hashpipe

• Collector
  • Indiefreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2003 at 11:55 PM »
Lipat na kayo sa Las PiƱas Cable...we have those channels, may AXN pa! Hehehe! ;D

We recently lost WOWOW though.  :-[

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 02:57 AM »
just finished watching "without a trace". a TV series with eric close (of taken and dark skies).... not bad. stories are pretty good. very CSI-ey and 24-ish.

well... time to watch big brother africa.... it's live eviction night!  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 06:10 AM »
idols... their take on "american idol" was pretty okay. medyo halata na 3rd world pa rin ang africa... parang matipid on production value...

as expected... magaganda ang mga boses ng contestants... a far cry from their american counterparts... can't wait to see who gets in the top ten in the "results show" tomorrow!

;D

uh... being that parang nawala bigla ang MTV SEasia, baka naman pwede na lang nila kunin ang SeriesTV... also on the same network as Mnet and MovieMagic.  :o
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2003 at 06:14 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 11:23 AM »
Lipat na kayo sa Las PiƱas Cable...we have those channels, may AXN pa! Hehehe! ;D

When do you find time to sleep? ;)

idols... their take on "american idol" was pretty okay.

Isa pang di natutulog.  ;D I actually just set the VCR for that show, since I had to get some sleep, and I haven't seen it.

Spiff, pa-notify naman dito or by PM kung kailan yung next Operacion Triunfo on TVE...  Hehehe...

uh... being that parang nawala bigla ang MTV SEasia, baka naman pwede na lang nila kunin ang SeriesTV... also on the same network as Mnet and MovieMagic.

Not surprisingly... I was thinking the same thing!  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 01:47 PM »
Isa pang di natutulog.  ;D I actually just set the VCR for that show, since I had to get some sleep, and I haven't seen it.

Spiff, pa-notify naman dito or by PM kung kailan yung next Operacion Triunfo on TVE...  Hehehe...

i think operacion triunfo 3 will start this october pa... auditions are ongoing tho! i'll keep ya posted on when it'll start na talaga.

i just hope matitino yung mga new contestants...the last batch 2 batches were pretty amazing! PLUS! i have a cousin who going to madrid to study just in time for the show to start airing! hopefully she'll be able to buy all those triunfo CDs! he he he ... mas adik pa nga ata yun sa aken when it comes to OT.

back to topic:

i also enjoyed watching "less than perfect" during their open time sched. andrea parker can be funny pala! LOL.

HEY DESTINY! SeriesTV na lang ipalit ninyo sa MTV SEasia! :P

BTW, "hedwig" is playing as i type... i'm sure "uncut" ito compared to the chopped up version on HBO!
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2003 at 01:48 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 05:35 PM »
To make M-NET's current schedule for regular series easier to follow:

M-NET West (Africa) - Philippine Schedule:

Sunday:

12:30AM ā€“ Survivor: Marquesas
1:30AM ā€“ Big Sound
2:00AM ā€“ Relic Hunter
3:00AM ā€“ Big Brother
4:00AM ā€“ Fear Factor

Monday:

12:30AM ā€“ Watching Ellie
1:00AM ā€“ JKX: The Jamie Kennedy Experiment
1:30AM ā€“ Life With Bonnie
2:00AM ā€“ Without A Trace
3:00AM ā€“ Big Brother (Nomination/Eviction Show)
4:00AM ā€“ Idols 2
9:00PM ā€“ The District

Tuesday:

2:10AM ā€“ American Dreams
3:10AM ā€“ Big Brother
3:30AM ā€“ Idols 2 (Results Show)
4:00AM ā€“ Friends
9:10PM ā€“ Boston Public

Wednesday:

3:30AM ā€“ CSI: Miami
4:30AM ā€“ 24
9:00PM ā€“ CSI

Thursday:

3:30AM ā€“ Smallville
6:30AM ā€“ The Wire
9:00PM ā€“ Presidio Med

Friday:

3:30AM ā€“ The Guardian
6:15AM ā€“ The Jerry Springer Show
9:00PM ā€“ Smallville

Saturday:

3:30AM ā€“ Platinum
5:40AM ā€“ The Secret Life of Us

All times are +/- 10 minutes, since it depends on the length of the movies they show.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2003 at 12:27 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Don_Camote

• Collector
  • Have a good one!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 06:05 PM »
it's nice to know I'm still on Destiny ::)

Mr, Joeypogi,  It's indeed nice to know I'm not alone in sticking it out with Destiny.  You're cool dude!!  8)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 07:01 PM »

Sunday:

12:30AM ā€“ Alias
1:30AM ā€“ Big Sound
2:00AM ā€“ Relic Hunter
4:00AM ā€“ Fear Factor

Monday:

12:30AM ā€“ Watching Ellie
1:00AM ā€“ JKX: The Jamie Kennedy Experiment
1:30AM ā€“ Life With Bonnie
2:00AM ā€“ Without A Trace
3:00AM ā€“ Big Brother (Nomination/Eviction Show)
4:00AM ā€“ Idols 2
9:00PM ā€“ The District

Tuesday:

3:30AM ā€“ Idols 2 (Results Show)
4:00AM ā€“ Friends
9:10PM ā€“ Boston Public

Wednesday:

3:30AM ā€“ CSI
4:30AM ā€“ 24
9:00PM ā€“ CSI

Thursday:

3:30AM ā€“ Smallville
6:30AM ā€“ The Wire
9:00PM ā€“ Presidio Med

Friday:

3:30AM ā€“ The Guardian
6:15AM ā€“ The Jerry Springer Show
9:00PM ā€“ Smallville

Saturday:

4:00AM ā€“ Platinum
5:40AM ā€“ The Secret Life of Us

All times are +/- 10 minutes, since it depends on the length of the movies they show.

wow! thanks for the list! i can print it easier now!

uh... how come wala akong nakita na "life with bonnie". i think the show has been replaced with "less than perfect" with andy dick and andrea parker and that cute chubby girl from "popular!"

one annoying thing is when they air "sound check" they never indicate song title and artist!  :-\

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 10:04 PM »

Aaarrrggghh!  puro madaling araw ang good shows  (except for CSI on wednesdays).  still can't watch.  sana may replay.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2003 at 10:06 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 10:07 PM »
uh... how come wala akong nakita na "life with bonnie". i think the show has been replaced with "less than perfect" with andy dick and andrea parker and that cute chubby girl from "popular!"

Actually, it's the other way around, Spiff. What you saw was the FINAL episode of Less Than Perfect. Life With Bonnie begins in that timeslot with its pilot episode next week, so I fixed the schedule already.

I'm about halfway through Idols. The performances are okay, but the judges are nothing compared to Simon/Paula/Randy from American Idol or Simon/Nicki/Neil/Pete from Pop Idol. All that black female judge says is "You were great," the guy on the extreme left just tries to be unpleasant without any actual substance in his comments, and the other two only say "You have 'it' " or "You don't have 'it.' " Hopefully they'll give more insightful comments or at the very least  start arguing more soon...  ::)
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2003 at 10:10 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2003 at 04:50 AM »
Actually, it's the other way around, Spiff. What you saw was the FINAL episode of Less Than Perfect. Life With Bonnie begins in that timeslot with its pilot episode next week, so I fixed the schedule already.

I'm about halfway through Idols. The performances are okay, but the judges are nothing compared to Simon/Paula/Randy from American Idol or Simon/Nicki/Neil/Pete from Pop Idol. All that black female judge says is "You were great," the guy on the extreme left just tries to be unpleasant without any actual substance in his comments, and the other two only say "You have 'it' " or "You don't have 'it.' " Hopefully they'll give more insightful comments or at the very least  start arguing more soon...  ::)

aaaaah! ganun ba? ok... i just finished watching "friends". which was preceded by the BBA daily show and the Idols results show.

ur right... the judges were boring... and predictable. i forgot to mention that in my last post... but i am always amazed at the talent... magaling talaga kumanta ng mga africans... they have this "rhythm"-thing down pat.

i didn't agree with one of those in the hotseat... and while i liked those who got through to the final ten... i think the girl who sang the end song deserved that spot more. sana mapili sya for the wildcard show. malapit na pala ang finals nito... within the month. (trying to not to spoil it for ya by naming names... in case ya haven't watched the results show yet.  ;D)

hmmm. i feel like digging out those old OT tapes... if i haven't overtaped them yet! (aaaargh!)
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2003 at 04:56 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2003 at 08:25 AM »
i didn't agree with one of those in the hotseat... and while i liked those who got through to the final ten... i think the girl who sang the end song deserved that spot more.

Agreed. Or even the chubby girl who sang "Georgia On Her Mind". I only liked Nazneen from their choices.

malapit na pala ang finals nito... within the month.

Not yet! Next week there's the final 8, the following week there's the Wild Card show, then after that, they eliminate one Top 10 member every week, starting August 24th. The Finals are scheduled for October 19th.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2003 at 08:31 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2003 at 05:55 PM »
Agreed. Or even the chubby girl who sang "Georgia On Her Mind". I only liked Nazneen from their choices.

i was thinking the same thing! nazneen has "star" written all over her! posoletso was good... but zama kind of reminds me of the young monica. i just though her song choice didn't showcase her talents enough. yeah... i know what you mean about the girl in white... you could see the disappointment in her face when they said she wasn't advancing!

Not yet! Next week there's the final 8, the following week there's the Wild Card show, then after that, they eliminate one Top 10 member every week, starting August 24th. The Finals are scheduled for October 19th.

ah... they only start SELLING tickets for the finals show by the end of the month... i guess partly tulog na utak ko nun. LOL.

24 tonight!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2003 at 05:56 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2003 at 08:00 PM »
i was thinking the same thing! nazneen has "star" written all over her! posoletso was good... but zama kind of reminds me of the young monica.

Baka naman bumoto ka pa online?  ;D

24 tonight!!!

Are you going to watch that? It's about 5 episodes into the second season already, so it might be hard to understand what's going on in this serial. CSI: Miami na lang - at least that one is episodic. They'll be showing Season 1, Episode 8. Funny, it's actually ahead of what's on M-NET Domestic, which is only on Episode 6.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2003 at 08:39 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 02:11 AM »
Baka naman bumoto ka pa online?  ;D

uy! hindi ah! (but the thought did cross my mind.. sa operacion triunfo lang ako nag-lakas loob mag-vote)  ::)

just gonna check out 24... i 'm pretty sure i won't be able to follow it naman eh. see the new characters... ya know... curious lang.  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2003 at 02:12 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline euphyx

• Collector
  • fancy a pint of lager mate?
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 06:25 PM »
what will i miss from AXN is the "infinite" replay time for each prime time show.

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 09:08 PM »
what will i miss from AXN is the "infinite" replay time for each prime time show.

I agree.  Watching CSI right now on MNET, di pala CSI: Miami.  old episode.  But hey, at least primetime palabas 'to.  Will try to catch all the episodes I missed sa AXN.  

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 11:05 PM »
I agree.  Watching CSI right now on MNET, di pala CSI: Miami.  old episode.

Yeah, it seems their 9PM (Philippine Time) shows are old. CSI: Miami aired at 3:30AM last night.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 11:11 PM »
Yeah, it seems their 9PM (Philippine Time) shows are old. CSI: Miami aired at 3:30AM last night.

i saw it... and halatang halata na dun na kim was already being used quite sparsely in the show... no wonder she left/quit/was fired a couple of episodes later.  :-\

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 11:20 PM »
i saw it... and halatang halata na dun na kim was already being used quite sparsely in the show... no wonder she left/quit/was fired a couple of episodes later.  :-\

Yeah, considering that in the pilot they just showed on AXN, she was like a female Grissom; then on that episode last night, her role was like... "Greg".

I do feel very bad for her, since her joining the cast was a major deal that received a lot of press, then to be let go midseason - sakit!
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2003 at 11:20 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 11:22 PM »
Yeah, considering that in the pilot they just showed on AXN, she was like a female Grissom; then on that episode last night, her role was like... "Greg".

I do feel very bad for her, since her joining the cast was a major deal that received a lot of press, then to be let go midseason - sakit!

makes you wonder tuloy if she became an alcoholic BECAUSE she was let go... and not let go because she was an alcoholic (as some rumors say).