Author Topic: MNET Channel and International Reality Competition Singing Shows  (Read 239860 times)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Performance Reality Shows: Operacion Triunfo, Fame Academy, Idols
« Reply #120 on: Oct 16, 2003 at 01:21 PM »
really???? wow! i must admit i'm afraid posoletso will get the majority vote dahil people might turn this into a "white/black supremacy" thing and obvious naman na mas maraming "black" sa africa... (still! my vote goes to anke... may kulang kay posoletso that i just can't seem to put my finger on. ;D)...   ;)

yeah i heard nga na guest sila... nun pa ata in-announce yun sa website. i also read na baka magkaroon ng "international pop idols showdown" with winners from all editions of simon fuller's "pop idols" (both season one and two for some countries) slugging it out. kanino ka hankey? hirap ata pumili nun...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #121 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 06:17 PM »
i also read na baka magkaroon ng "international pop idols showdown"... kanino ka hankey? hirap ata pumili nun...

Not that hard. I'm only familiar with the singing voices of two of the winners, Will Young and Kelly Clarkson. I don't even know what Rueben (?) sounds like.

So I'd go with Clarkson. Not to worry, I know there's someone else on this thread who will support Will all the way...  ::)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 09:16 PM »
Not that hard. I'm only familiar with the singing voices of two of the winners, Will Young and Kelly Clarkson. I don't even know what Rueben (?) sounds like.

So I'd go with Clarkson. Not to worry, I know there's someone else on this thread who will support Will all the way...  ::)

right! parang kilala ko 'yun.... mwa ha ha ha ha...  ::)
(hilig din ba nya si guarini? hee hee.)

reuben is good... maganda boses talaga! no doubt about it... he reminds me of jorge sa OT... pero may kulang sa kanya. a presence as a "pop star".

wow! believer ka rin pala sa boses ni kelly clarkson! i LOOOOOVED her album! galeng! i recently was able to hear her version of king's natural woman and grabe! napanganga ako!  :o

will young is okay (maski nga si gareth gates and darius... ok din) pero i find them too much in the "boyband" mold...   :-\

Offline Quidam

• Collector
  • "Will I ever have the courage of my imagination?"
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 10:12 PM »
WILL YOUNG!!! WILL YOUNG!!! WILL YOUNG!!! WILL YOUNG!!! WILL YOUNG!!! WILL YOUNG!!! WILL YOUNG!!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Oct 18, 2003 at 01:08 AM »
i recently was able to (Kelly Clarkson's)  version of king's natural woman and grabe! napanganga ako!

Her "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" is pretty good, too. She's one white woman with soul!  8)

But I really prefer Tamyra Gray. Have you heard her "A House Is Not A Home"? I'm actually looking forward to season three of Boston Public despite the departures of my favorite cast members Jessalyn Gilsig and Nicky Katt since I really want to hear Tamyra perform more songs.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2003 at 01:09 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Oct 18, 2003 at 05:27 AM »
Her "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" is pretty good, too. She's one white woman with soul!  8)

But I really prefer Tamyra Gray. Have you heard her "A House Is Not A Home"? I'm actually looking forward to season three of Boston Public despite the departures of my favorite cast members Jessalyn Gilsig and Nicky Katt since I really want to hear Tamyra perform more songs.

what?! si tamyra gray yun? i've been watching "boston public" since the start and never even knew na si tamyra gray yun! where are those reruns when you need 'em??!!!

natural woman is the b-side of miss independent... pero wala sa album. i just wish they would stop editing down those songs to under 3 mins... okay lang kung para sa show/live performance... pero sana naman yung para sa CD buo yung kanta.

minsan nga when i wake up real early... i try to catch "sabrina: the teenage witch" on star world... in the hopes of catching kelly's pre-"american idols" appearance there.

speaking of "boston public", wasn't the guy in "not another teen movie" the same guy who held jessalyn gilsig hostage in a "boston public" episode in season one... he looks the same, pero the hair color seems different. which makes me wonder if it's the same guy.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Oct 18, 2003 at 10:27 AM »
what?! si tamyra gray yun? i've been watching "boston public" since the start and never even knew na si tamyra gray yun! where are those reruns when you need 'em??!!!

No, Tamyra Gray only joins the cast in season three, so you won't catch her on any Star World/Studio 23 reruns just yet. She plays a new student.

speaking of "boston public", wasn't the guy in "not another teen movie" the same guy who held jessalyn gilsig hostage in a "boston public" episode in season one...

Which one? The former student who was obsessed with her? He wasn't in "Not Another Teen Movie," he was in "Whatever It Takes," which is... Another Teen Movie...  :P

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Oct 18, 2003 at 02:08 PM »
Which one? The former student who was obsessed with her? He wasn't in "Not Another Teen Movie," he was in "Whatever It Takes," which is... Another Teen Movie...  :P

not that one... the other one... the jock student na may "letter" (ya know, ones who have varsity jackets) na nagbi-bleed yung kamay... na napansin ni jessalyn and pinipilit pumunta sa school nurse... turns out he had a gun and he held her hostage in the classroom mismo. i think si nicky katt yung nag negotiate para pakawalan niya si jessalyn. he was brownish blonde dun... pero sa "not another teen movie"... dark na hair nya.  ::)

i know... 3rd season nga... but i had no clue na si tamyra pala yun! wow! di pa kasi ako masyado familiar sa mga american idol contestants nun.... 'cept for kelly and justin, of course.  ::) ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Oct 18, 2003 at 03:55 PM »
i know... 3rd season nga... but i had no clue na si tamyra pala yun! wow! di pa kasi ako masyado familiar sa mga american idol contestants nun...

Where did you watch the third season? Did you download it, or does your cable provider have another secret channel you're not sharing with us?

Hmm...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Oct 18, 2003 at 06:46 PM »
Where did you watch the third season? Did you download it, or does your cable provider have another secret channel you're not sharing with us?

Hmm...

oh you meant season three... sheesh! here i go again! tuliro! LOL... happens a lot these days (d@mn! i think nau-ulyanin na ata ako!)... season 2 nga pala yung huling pinalabas sa star world... i had her confused with that choir kid na magaling din kumanta sa season 2! (who i think is only second to ms. divine pagdating sa pagkanta! i remember seeing loretta noon pa sa picket fences!)

i will be eagerly awaiting season 3's debut on star world... so i can check her out! (don't worry ... pareho lang tayong naghihintay, muunahan ba naman kita? eh we both subscribe to two cable providers right?) ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2003 at 08:30 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Oct 21, 2003 at 03:03 AM »
i was up real early monday morning (mga 7.30am) and caught the gala of the portugese edition of "operacao triunfo". funny... kasi it's like the exact clone of the spanish edition... even the rooms looked the same.

the rules tho... were still the same as OT1 and OT2. and not the "revised" rules like OT3. season 2 pa lang sila... and they just voted out their 2nd student. (16 lang dito as opposed to 17 sa spain.)

mahirap pala sundan ang portugese... they spell words almost like they do in spanish pero ibang-iba ang bigkas.

natuwa lang ako ...kasi for a change, yung headmistress ang umiyak DURING the gala as she was making the choice kung sino ise-save ng teachers! you won't catch nina sheeding tears...he he he....  ;)

destiny has it at channel 84 (be warned it's a little "snowy"). the official website. you also see the schedule here. (p.s. we are 2 hours behind sydney time.)

nominated for eviction this week are petra and rita...  ;D
petra&rita
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2003 at 09:09 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Oct 21, 2003 at 04:40 PM »
What's the rule on OT, Spiff? If you were the one saved from the bottom two, you're automatically under probation again for the following week? I didn't understand why Delilah-boy was automatically not in the top 10 again.

=====

On the other competition, Anke won!  :)

Good news is that she, Posoletso and Jacques were ALL given recording contracts by BMG Records. Wala ka pa ring kilalang pupunta ng South Africa?  :P

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Oct 21, 2003 at 07:03 PM »
What's the rule on OT, Spiff? If you were the one saved from the bottom two, you're automatically under probation again for the following week? I didn't understand why Delilah-boy was automatically not in the top 10 again.

=====

On the other competition, Anke won!  :)

Good news is that she, Posoletso and Jacques were ALL given recording contracts by BMG Records. Wala ka pa ring kilalang pupunta ng South Africa?  :P

the thing that bothers me is that nagiging popularity contest ang OT. whereas before yung judges ang pipili ng 4 for possible nomination for eviction (ngayon 5 na! based on "favorito" votes)... now... even if you survive, you still need to be saved by either your fellow students, your teachers or the judges kahit na marami kang votes for "favorito"... it's was usually a rare occurence na mano-nominate ka ng sunod-sunod!

grabe! i so feel for jorge! kawawa naman sya. (kadiri boses ni fede! kung saang saang direksyon pumupunta! tapos boyzIImen na kanta pa napunta sa kaniya...) of the five who were for possible nomination: nuria (saved by the judges) sonia (saved by the students), divinia (saved by the teachers), josé and jorge... i though only josé was deserving to be there... mas deserving pa si ramon (na no. 2 sa "favorito"! ugh!) na ma-nominate. oh well...ganiyan talaga!  :-\

did you see the "world music awards special"?... geez! nanalo si david bisbal (runner-up sa OT1) for "favorite latin artist - male"... wow! not bad for a ricky martin wannabe! (who incidentally was nominated in the same category) ::)

horay! go anke! i'm happy for posoletso! (both first-timer sila and look how far they got!...) ... happy na rin kay jacques... kahit na i have no idea kung magaling siya talaga kumanta.

wala pa eh... meron sana akong friend na in-invite mag-"talk" sa isang arts festival... pero next year pa and parang ayaw nya pumunta. sayang!  :(
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2003 at 07:19 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #133 on: Oct 21, 2003 at 10:33 PM »
Gee, this thread has prompted me to finally wake up from my long pinoydvd dormancy!

Anyway, I've really been hooked by OT. It brings me back to the glory days of Saturday Entertainment!  :)  Ang galing pa ng timing that I was in the middle of Spanish lessons when the season started. Nakaka-inspire tuloy mag-aral at mag-practice. Espanol es facil!  :) Weirdly though, nobody at Instituto Cervantes here, or at Espanglish.com, seems to watch OT. Tsaka ko na siguro papanuorin yung OT Portugal, baka malito lang ako at bumagsak sa Level 2. And my bedtime is screwed up enough as it is because of OT Espana.

I don't get the Ramon-love either. Maybe the Spanish just like him because he's "exotic", coming from the Canary Islands and all. Otherwise, nothing special.

Vicente, I can see the appeal. Actually, the first time I saw him on the show, I pegged him na for a winner. The guy, despite having acne scars, being a bit skinny, and looking a lot like a blonder, older version of Tom Taus, just has this certain charisma. Nice, deep voice as well.

I am so annoyed by Mario naman, he's like a singing, drum-playing, non-buffed-up version of Carlos Agassi crossed with Michael Jackson. Ew. And he's much too enthusiastic about everything.

I don't like Fede either, I'm so turned off by how he always bears his arms to show off his muscles. Get some sleeves, man! And he's much too pushy about people listening to his compositions.

I like Nuria, she has bountiful "assets" :), and some actual real talent. Did any of you pay attention to the bordering-on-inappropriate steamy girl-on-girl action she had with Headmistress Nina?  :)

I also like Davinia, despite her heft, you can still see that she's very pretty. Her inner beauty somehow manages to shine through her subcutaneous fat.  :)

I like Miguel too, and I'm puzzled why he hasn't been ranking higher. Maybe because he isn't quirky or interesting enough. Hmmm... I guess that makes him boring.

I don't think she should win but I hope Sonia sticks around for a while. She's interesting. And the way last week's La Academia eps were edited, it was quite a surprise how most of the students voted to save her this week! I was worried that she might have alienated some of the other concursantes by complaining about the noise last week.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2003 at 10:50 PM by Jude »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Oct 21, 2003 at 11:02 PM »
Weirdly though, nobody at Instituto Cervantes here, or at Espanglish.com, seems to watch OT.

Not that weird. Honestly... you would've just passed this show while channel surfing had you not known this was the Spanish Fame Academy, right? And how many people outside of the UK even know what Fame Academy is?  ;D

After looking at the contestants and song lists on the web site Spiff posted... I'm shifting to OT Portugal. Majority of the songs are in English, and the contestants look like they stepped out of an episode of... The OC?  ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2003 at 11:23 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Oct 22, 2003 at 09:07 AM »
Gee, this thread has prompted me to finally wake up from my long pinoydvd dormancy!

Anyway, I've really been hooked by OT. It brings me back to the glory days of Saturday Entertainment!  :)  Ang galing pa ng timing that I was in the middle of Spanish lessons when the season started. Nakaka-inspire tuloy mag-aral at mag-practice. Espanol es facil!  :) Weirdly though, nobody at Instituto Cervantes here, or at Espanglish.com, seems to watch OT. Tsaka ko na siguro papanuorin yung OT Portugal, baka malito lang ako at bumagsak sa Level 2. And my bedtime is screwed up enough as it is because of OT Espana.

I don't get the Ramon-love either. Maybe the Spanish just like him because he's "exotic", coming from the Canary Islands and all. Otherwise, nothing special.

Vicente, I can see the appeal. Actually, the first time I saw him on the show, I pegged him na for a winner. The guy, despite having acne scars, being a bit skinny, and looking a lot like a blonder, older version of Tom Taus, just has this certain charisma. Nice, deep voice as well.

I am so annoyed by Mario naman, he's like a singing, drum-playing, non-buffed-up version of Carlos Agassi crossed with Michael Jackson. Ew. And he's much too enthusiastic about everything.

I don't like Fede either, I'm so turned off by how he always bears his arms to show off his muscles. Get some sleeves, man! And he's much too pushy about people listening to his compositions.

I like Nuria, she has bountiful "assets" :), and some actual real talent. Did any of you pay attention to the bordering-on-inappropriate steamy girl-on-girl action she had with Headmistress Nina?  :)

I also like Davinia, despite her heft, you can still see that she's very pretty. Her inner beauty somehow manages to shine through her subcutaneous fat.  :)

I like Miguel too, and I'm puzzled why he hasn't been ranking higher. Maybe because he isn't quirky or interesting enough. Hmmm... I guess that makes him boring.

I don't think she should win but I hope Sonia sticks around for a while. She's interesting. And the way last week's La Academia eps were edited, it was quite a surprise how most of the students voted to save her this week! I was worried that she might have alienated some of the other concursantes by complaining about the noise last week.

wow! a fellow fanOTico! hey jude! (no pun inteded!)  :P

yes! believer ako sa talent and "talent" ni nuria.... i am rooting for her so bad! (just like i rooted last season for ainhoa!) i am also very "smitten" with divinia! i think she's very pretty. mario reminds me of last year's joan tena (albeit not as skinny!)! sonia's a fighter and i think her fellow consursantes appreciate that... super awa talaga ako kay jorge... i hope he can sustain his luck and vote off josé. josé's kinda boring.

i can understand the spanish fascination with ramon and vicente (yup! deep nga voice pero i think that limits his range as a singer.) ... last year ang pinagnanasahan naman ng mga española ay si manuel carrasco (also from the islas de canaria) and miguel nandez... but for some reason... like din nila ang mga payat... hence, toni santos won as "favorito" a record number of times. yuuuuuckeeee!

BTW, my cousin (who's now in madrid!) has a magazine ("hola!" ata...) that covered last year's finals (aka gala 14). i am beginning to wonder kung dinala nya sa madrid... if i get the chance to get my hands on it... i'll scan it for this page.

sayang! i should've sounded off my OT-madness noon pa (although, i think i posted that i listened to their CDs sa Music and Radio thread before ako nag-post dito.)... mas interesting kasi OT2... a lot of hooking-up occured (especially interesting was the closeness between danni and marey! uuuuuuy!) and mas ma-drama... (it wasn't uncommon for people who hooked-up to be nominated in the same week. it happened TWICE!)   :-\

it's so refreshing to finally "talk" to people who know about my fanOTicism.... he he he...  ;D

inggit naman ako... matututo na kayo mag-spanish!  :P
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2003 at 09:32 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Oct 22, 2003 at 09:29 AM »
Not that weird. Honestly... you would've just passed this show while channel surfing had you not known this was the Spanish Fame Academy, right? And how many people outside of the UK even know what Fame Academy is?  ;D

After looking at the contestants and song lists on the web site Spiff posted... I'm shifting to OT Portugal. Majority of the songs are in English, and the contestants look like they stepped out of an episode of... The OC?  ;)

and the host is SOOOOOO HOT!

yeah... i was surfing when i heard two of the students singing avril's "complicated". ok naman talent nila. i just find them a tad too "emotional"... puro iyakan!

medyo nabaduyan lang ako sa editing nila...  :( pero pwede na pagtiyagaan... and the big plus is MAY REPLAYS on decent hours! he he he...  ::)

hey hankey... try to pay close attention to their rules... don't you think mas maganda kaysa sa "new rules" ng OT españa? sana kasi di na lang pinalitan ng OT spain yung rules nila....

weird lang pakinggan ang portugese... it's like spanish being read by a german...  :P
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2003 at 09:38 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Quidam

• Collector
  • "Will I ever have the courage of my imagination?"
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Oct 23, 2003 at 03:25 AM »
What's unique with OT spain is that they also release a CD soundtrack per gala. Unlike the other reality talent shows na highlights CD lang ang nilalabas.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2003 at 03:25 AM by Quidam »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Oct 23, 2003 at 04:10 AM »
What's unique with OT spain is that they also release a CD soundtrack per gala. Unlike the other reality talent shows na highlights CD lang ang nilalabas.

yup! pero naglalabas din sila ng "grandes exitos" after the season is already done... meron din ballads compilation, christmas album, valentine album, "especial para eurovison" and stuff like that... merchandising-wise i think gestmusic (the show's producer) has already covered its bases. (p.s. quidam... i think they also sell personalized t-shirts like the ones worn by the concursantes on the show...you know, the ones with names on them  :P) there's even an instructional kit to help you prepare for the auditions! kulang na lang nila sa dvd department... just ONE dvd... tapos road movie pa!

oh let's not forget that each disc is an "enhancedCD" so that you can peek into the weeks events and even play some games... ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2003 at 04:22 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Oct 23, 2003 at 04:20 AM »
BTW, did you know that last year a gala was actually CANCELLED?? ... it was because the steel stairway leading to the entertainment room COLLAPSED and sent something like 4 or 5 concursantes to the hospital... luckily, gestmusic had some pull and nagkaroon na lang ng "especial en directo" where artists like mariah carey and bon jovi performed. thankfully everyone recovered. it was a little funny lang kasi by next week you'd see the injured concursantes practicing and performing with casts and neck braces!  :-X
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2003 at 04:23 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Oct 27, 2003 at 11:57 PM »
i was up real early monday morning (mga 7.30am) and caught the gala of the portugese edition of "operacao triunfo". funny... kasi it's like the exact clone of the spanish edition...

I remembered what you said, but I wasn't expecting the set to be that identical. Creepy!

The gang from Operacao Triunfo seem to have better stage presence... but worse voices than the contestants on Operacion Triunfo. But as far as hosts are concerned, it's no contest:

8)

They also release a CD a week... how popular are CDs in Spain and Portugal, anyway?

=====

One final Idols thought: I was cleaning out my email, and I came across this news article:

Idols Declared Forbidden By Muslim Council

In the wake of Wafeeq and Nazneen's departure, the Muslim Judicial Council has declared Idols 'haraam', or forbidden, for adherents of the faith according to News 24. This ruling has been instituted partly because of the 'nakedness and indecent exposure' of the contestants...

I couldn't stop laughing! 'Nakedness and indecent exposure' - naghubad ba si Posoletso???  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2003 at 11:58 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 01:07 AM »
I remembered what you said, but I wasn't expecting the set to be that identical. Creepy!

The gang from Operacao Triunfo seem to have better stage presence... but worse voices than the contestants on Operacion Triunfo. But as far as hosts are concerned, it's no contest:

8)

They also release a CD a week... how popular are CDs in Spain and Portugal, anyway?

=====

One final Idols thought: I was cleaning out my email, and I came across this news article:

Idols Declared Forbidden By Muslim Council

In the wake of Wafeeq and Nazneen's departure, the Muslim Judicial Council has declared Idols 'haraam', or forbidden, for adherents of the faith according to News 24. This ruling has been instituted partly because of the 'nakedness and indecent exposure' of the contestants...

I couldn't stop laughing! 'Nakedness and indecent exposure' - naghubad ba si Posoletso???  ;D

grabe 'no? even the walls look alike... unless you look really carefully dun mo lang makikita na iba ang lay-out ng building... the gala set here is more similar to the season 2 set. blue kasi ang dominant color nun sa operacion triunfo 2.  :o

as for the idols newsbit...bwa ha ha ha... (can you say "sore loser")...  ::)

i wasn't able to catch the gala ng operaca triunfo kanina... who got evicted? petra? ma-check nga mamya. ur right tho... mas bilib talaga ako sa teachers sa OT espana... i mean, the students are finally beginning to sound a bit like pros. comparing their performances in gala 0 and gala 2... ibang-iba na. (big improvement especially on leticia.)  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2003 at 02:48 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 02:46 PM »
i just caught what was perhaps the "wettest" gala ever of OT españa! grabe! lahat umiyak kanina when josé was evicted... even headmistress nina! talo pa yung departure ni mai in last season's gala 2...

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #143 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 09:22 PM »
Have they started Daylight Savings Time in Europe already? I set my VCR to record at the usual time and I noticed that both La Academia and the Gala started an hour later than before. Good thing I set it to record for 4 hours so I was able to watch up to the point where we were left with the two nominadas. Missed all the crying though.

Now I'm really beginning to resent the ranking system. It's really just a popularity contest now. It's obvious that when voting for their favoritos the Spanish public aren't really going with talent or performace quality but more with their weird notions of "cuteness" and charisma. And it's heavily skewed in favor of the guys. For example, Sonia, Miriam, and Nuria all did a much better job with their performances than Beatriz or Ramon, but just because they lacked a certain "mass appeal" (for lack of a better word) they got pushed to the bottom 5.

It's a good thing that the complex three-tier saving system somehow still manages to keep the truly deserving students from getting easily discarded.

On a positive note though, they are wising up a bit to Ramon's lack of promise since this week his no.2 position has been usurped by the much more deserving Miguel (who has also regularly displayed welcome bursts of personality for the past week). The ugly and annoying Mario has also been slipping in the ranks.

How ironic that Sonia was complaining about always having to perform in a threesome. And now next week she gets to perform all by herself as a nominada!

Watched a bit of Operacao, and I wasn't very impressed with the contestants' vocal talents (or lack thereof). I guess I'll tune after a few weeks once the herd has been thinned a bit already. I think in the -cao stage, the grid-like structure where the background dancers gyrate in sillhouette is much closer to the sliding round thing than in the -cion stage.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 09:48 PM »
Have they started Daylight Savings Time in Europe already? I set my VCR to record at the usual time and I noticed that both La Academia and the Gala started an hour later than before. Good thing I set it to record for 4 hours so I was able to watch up to the point where we were left with the two nominadas. Missed all the crying though.

Now I'm really beginning to resent the ranking system. It's really just a popularity contest now. It's obvious that when voting for their favoritos the Spanish public aren't really going with talent or performace quality but more with their weird notions of "cuteness" and charisma. And it's heavily skewed in favor of the guys. For example, Sonia, Miriam, and Nuria all did a much better job with their performances than Beatriz or Ramon, but just because they lacked a certain "mass appeal" (for lack of a better word) they got pushed to the bottom 5.

It's a good thing that the complex three-tier saving system somehow still manages to keep the truly deserving students from getting easily discarded.

On a positive note though, they are wising up a bit to Ramon's lack of promise since this week his no.2 position has been usurped by the much more deserving Miguel (who has also regularly displayed welcome bursts of personality for the past week). The ugly and annoying Mario has also been slipping in the ranks.

How ironic that Sonia was complaining about always having to perform in a threesome. And now next week she gets to perform all by herself as a nominada!

Watched a bit of Operacao, and I wasn't very impressed with the contestants' vocal talents (or lack thereof). I guess I'll tune after a few weeks once the herd has been thinned a bit already. I think in the -cao stage, the grid-like structure where the background dancers gyrate in sillhouette is much closer to the sliding round thing than in the -cion stage.

yes... nag-umpisa na nga DST... that's why i remember na 5 am yung gala (as i mentioned in a previous post... 5 am ang galas.) i dunno why... but i recorded this morning's gala in it's entirety (even tho i was awake the whole time!)... including the "la academia" after the gala... if ya wanna see it i can probably tape it for ya... (if i can find the time. been pretty busy lately.) only regret is i wasn't able to record the 3.30 la academia. andun pa naman as a guest co-host si... ainhoa! (last year's winner! my! she's lost a LOT of weight!) it was entertaining watching the two ainhoas sharing the hosting duties!

see! that's what i've been saying all along! the "new" ranking system stinks... dati kasi... only the choice of the week's "favorito" depended on viewer votes... the weeding out of the "en peligros" and the "continuar" belonged solely on the judges. the danger of using a ranking system based on viewer votes is that THE SAME PEOPLE KEEP ENDING UP IN THE LAST 5 SLOTS! grabe! i was so thankful the profesores picked jorge to save... the guy needs a break! bring back the old rules!

i agree... bea's performance sucked big time... she just didn't have any heart in her performance. borja was very dependent on his "impish" good looks! kadiri yung production number nila! ugh!

ha ha ha! i agree with what happened to sonia.... that truly is a hilarious dose of irony!

jorge is such a sport... "do ya think i'm sexy?"?? come on! that's one sick sense of humor giving that song to a guy of his... ahem, "heft".

nuria just shines... i just wish she'd skip crying in a gala or two... she's shed tears in every gala aired so far!

personally... i think miguel is the most talented of the guys! he has a terrific voice alright but i just think he needs more a tad more depth in his performances.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Nov 01, 2003 at 11:50 PM »
Operacao Triunfo... destiny has it at channel 84 (be warned it's a little "snowy").

RTP is now crystal clear.  :)

Oh, did you know that they actually replay the weekly Operacao Triunfo Gala on Saturdays at 11PM? I just chanced upon  it by accident tonight. Some of the flashbacks are edited down, but the performances are intact. A very nice time to catch it if you don't have a Saturday night gimmick.  :-\  ;D

Edited To Add: With the Global Destiny channel reassignment, RTP is now on Channel 49, while TVE is now on Channel 46.
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2003 at 09:13 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Nov 02, 2003 at 10:00 AM »
RTP is now crystal clear.  :)

Oh, did you know that they actually replay the weekly Operacao Triunfo Gala on Saturdays at 11PM? I just chanced upon  it by accident tonight. Some of the flashbacks are edited down, but the performances are intact. A very nice time to catch it if you don't have a Saturday night gimmick.  :-\  ;D

Edited To Add: With the Global Destiny channel reassignment, RTP is now on Channel 49, while TVE is now on Channel 46.

i know i know! me a happy camper now....  ;D

(now i have no excuse not to watch OT Portugal... all that snow before gave me a horrible headache! finally, i can see this franchise in crystal clarity... except maybe for the occasional audio sync problem.)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Nov 03, 2003 at 05:48 PM »
except maybe for the occasional audio sync problem

Oh, is that was that was? I thought maybe they were just really really bad at lip syncing. ;)

This week's cao gala was hilarious. I have never seen anything so cheesy - the guy who got saved sang a "Thank you, I'll miss you, I love you" song to the guy who got voted off immediately after the decision was announced??? Then to top it off, the guy voted off sang his farewell song: Not only was it "Shake Your Bon Bon", it was also very out of tune, proving how much he really deserved to be voted off!

This is the funniest reality show of all time!  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Nov 03, 2003 at 06:35 PM »
Oh, is that was that was? I thought maybe they were just really really bad at lip syncing. ;)

This week's cao gala was hilarious. I have never seen anything so cheesy - the guy who got saved sang a "Thank you, I'll miss you, I love you" song to the guy who got voted off immediately after the decision was announced??? Then to top it off, the guy voted off sang his farewell song: Not only was it "Shake Your Bon Bon", it was also very out of tune, proving how much he really deserved to be voted off!

This is the funniest reality show of all time!  ;D

he he he... i didn't catch it... but i'll definitely remember to watch the replay on saturday!  ;D

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Nov 03, 2003 at 09:04 PM »
i am absolutely obssessed with Australian Idol! i've watched the whole series from the very beginning and it's part of my weekly ritual. at first i couldn't understand why people in the states would bother watching these Bagong Kampeon-ish shows but after going through Aussie Idol, I HAVE REACHED ENLIGHTENMENT. it's riveting! it's heartbreaking! it's entertaining! i even heard that there's gonna be a "World Idol" competition where all the Idols get to compete (hmm... i dunno if kelly clarkson will agree to do this since she's alreadya top 40 star). but yes, i -- along with the whole of australia -- am a true blue Idol fanatic!