Author Topic: Laptop/Netbook Minimum Requirement to play 720p and/or 1080P movies  (Read 1245 times)

Offline coolswitch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Laptop/Netbook Minimum Requirement to play 720p and/or 1080P movies

Hi, I'll be getting either a netbook or a laptop soon

And I need your advice kung ano ang dapat na hanapin ko in order to play 720p/1080p smoothly

720p mostly.

TIA

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
That largely depends on the format that you are decoding. Some formats will play fine in netbooks, especially those that are accelerated by the GPU. For netbooks, I suggest looking for one based on the E-450 APU. The E-450 provides better than Atom performance (and will handle most 1080p files when configured properly), while maintaining decent battery life.

However, I suggest going for a notebook if you're fine with the weight/size, as it is far more capable of handling a variety of current formats and bitrates (and possibly future formats as well). Most current notebooks should not have a problem with HD. The Llano-based notebooks are particularly interesting for me.

How much are you willing to spend? If you have the budget, CULV-based notebooks are about the same size as netbooks, and pack significantly more muscle.

Offline LT

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • http://youtu.be/BxY_eJLBflk
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
That largely depends on the format that you are decoding. Some formats will play fine in netbooks, especially those that are accelerated by the GPU. For netbooks, I suggest looking for one based on the E-450 APU. The E-450 provides better than Atom performance (and will handle most 1080p files when configured properly), while maintaining decent battery life.

However, I suggest going for a notebook if you're fine with the weight/size, as it is far more capable of handling a variety of current formats and bitrates (and possibly future formats as well). Most current notebooks should not have a problem with HD. The Llano-based notebooks are particularly interesting for me.

How much are you willing to spend? If you have the budget, CULV-based notebooks are about the same size as netbooks, and pack significantly more muscle.

Newbie question - how do you configure properly for the E-450?
"without commitment you'll never start, without consistency you'll never finish"

Offline musicgeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The "proper configuration" for the E-450 possibly goes with the integrated graphics card setting along with some OS tweaks. I particularly surfed through their website an Asus Eee PC 1225B with AMD E450 APU specs as follows:

*Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium *1
*AMD Brazos platform combines high performance with low power consumption
*ATI Radeon HD 6320/6290*1 integrated graphics with DirectX® 11
*Full HD 1080p via HDMI connection

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_1225B

I have the older ASUS Eee PC 1201PN with N450 Intel Atom, NVIDIA ION, HDMI, 2GB RAM. And it plays HD content quite well up to 1080p. I've used successfully both XBMC and Boxee media center. Though batt and multi tasking sucks, it serves its purpose as a multimedia netbook.

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2012 at 11:01 PM by musicgeek »