Author Topic: Generic DVD + DAC better than a entry level cdp?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline glacierfrost

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Generic DVD + DAC better than a entry level cdp?
« on: Nov 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM »
My current setup for audio music is a nmt (digital coax) and a generic dvd player (optical) both connected to a superpro707 then to my int. amp. Just wondering since I've never owned a good cdp if I should get a good cdp as source or would improving my dac be a better use of my money?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
Re: Generic DVD + DAC better than a entry level cdp?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2011 at 06:10 AM »
Higher end sources can sound significantly better, imo. However, finding one that'd sound great with the rest of your system (and at the same time, suit your sonic preference) is a more difficult task.

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 12:55 AM »
I agree. Depende rin yan sa collection mo. Kung kalimitan ng pinapakinggan mo ay nasa CD, better nga siguro kung mag-upgrade ka ng CD player. Pero kung hati ang collection mo sa digital audio files and CDs, mas okay to get a better DAC. Mas versatile ang external DAC. Although may cd players din na may DAC input like the Cambridge 740c. :)

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 07:33 AM »
It is really hard to decide between a source/dac and a standalone CD player.  You need to decide which would you like because both can be had according to the quality you expect.  If you want a no fuss set-up, go with a good  cd player.  But if you love tinkering and mixing/matching components, go with the source/dac set-up.

With your 707, you can connect sources such as PC/Mac, media players, and also CD player with digital output.

With a stand alone CD player, it plug and play.

Offline glacierfrost

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 10:21 AM »
My audio collection is around 50/50. But lately, I haven't been using my cds anymore because using the nmt is more convenient for me. No more disk changing and I can listen to songs from different albums and artist in a snap. Will probably go the dac route. Thanks for the inputs.

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 01:14 PM »
My audio collection is around 50/50. But lately, I haven't been using my cds anymore because using the nmt is more convenient for me. No more disk changing and I can listen to songs from different albums and artist in a snap. Will probably go the dac route. Thanks for the inputs.

anong NMT gamit mo? do you find it at par sa sound quality ng CD? coz i attempted to go that route (egreat/me8er+707dac+1TB flacmusic) for convenience ok sya talaga, but for critical listening i find CD to be better sounding, IMO.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 01:29 PM »
i'm also in a similar situation. I currently own a denon dcd755 cdp. I'm wondering if the sq of this cdp would still improve when used in tandem with an external dac, like a rega or m1 dac. In other forums, those who are already using a rega saturn cdp opted to add a rega dac, according to some this combo improved the sq of their setup.
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 01:34 PM »
I did such an experiment just this week.  With the original CD in a ROTEL DVD player and the lossless FLAC ripped version in my netbook, fed through a SuperPro 707 DAC into a Roksan Kandy integrated amplifier onto a pair of Polk Audio LSi9.  Honestly, though I could just be my poor hearing, I could not detect any difference switching the two sources.

I'll keep the disk player though so I can play new CDs immediately.
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 04:59 PM »
anong NMT gamit mo? do you find it at par sa sound quality ng CD? coz i attempted to go that route (egreat/me8er+707dac+1TB flacmusic) for convenience ok sya talaga, but for critical listening i find CD to be better sounding, IMO.

The jitter rejection of your standalone DAC will play a major role (more sophisticated implementations often reclock for example, which reduce the effects of source jitter), together with the quality of the transport --- with everything else being the same.

A typical video player's circuitry is not optimized for low jitter (and this had gotten worse with many current implementations that are HDMI native), and this might be the reason for the poor quality that you noticed. I'm also not confident that the outboard DAC that you mentioned is superior to your player's built-in implementation (aside from the DAC circuitry, a CDP's internal DAC usually benefits from a more stable source clock and a robust power supply). As with anything, YMMV.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 05:31 PM »
i'm also in a similar situation. I currently own a denon dcd755 cdp. I'm wondering if the sq of this cdp would still improve when used in tandem with an external dac, like a rega or m1 dac. In other forums, those who are already using a rega saturn cdp opted to add a rega dac, according to some this combo improved the sq of their setup.

That CDP has been around for sometime --- I'd assume that it can get some help from a nicer and more modern DAC implementation (together with the fact that Denon CDPs are usually middle-of-the-ground in build/design/performance). Since you're exploring this route, may I ask if you're building a dedicated audio system?

The Rega DAC uses newer chips (WM8742) that are supposedly superior (at least in specs) to its predecessors (WM8740s were used in many prior Rega players). This is the same chipset used in the new Rega Apollo-R (I'm expecting Rega to upgrade the Saturn soon) and the Cambridge 651C. The DAC chip is only a part of the equation though, and I don't see the Rega DAC improving on the magnificent ISIS player for example (the ISIS runs a comparable chipset, a wonderful transport and is just superior in overall implementation).

The Rega DAC also reclocks the data that it receives, making it less "choosy" with transports (mind you, reclocking also has its own set of ghosts --- but a low jitter source like a good CDP or Music Streamer should prevent those ghosts from haunting you) when compared to DACs without this feature (majority of lower cost models).
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2011 at 05:35 PM by Stagea »

Offline jao143

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 06:40 PM »
^^^
As for the dedicated audio set-up, unfortunately, i don't have the luxury of space, hence it will be integrated into my current setup: denon 4310, emotiva xpa5, and focal electra . My plan is this, denon cdp-rega dac-denon 4310-xpa5-electra 1027be

LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 03:12 AM »
^^^
As for the dedicated audio set-up, unfortunately, i don't have the luxury of space, hence it will be integrated into my current setup: denon 4310, emotiva xpa5, and focal electra . My plan is this, denon cdp-rega dac-denon 4310-xpa5-electra 1027be

The reason I asked is because of conversion issues. I'm not sure how Denon AVRs handle volume adjustments. If it does it in the digital domain (and it probably does), then even using Pure Direct will mean that the analogue inputs are converted back to digital (AD conversion) before volume adjustments are done, then reconverted back to analogue (using the AVR's DAC) before heading to the preouts. Pure Direct usually skips additional processing and turns off unused subsystems, but it may not mean that there is no conversion being done on your analogue data.

If this is the case, then adding the extra DAC (or connecting via analogue) would just result in a different sonic flavor, and may not result in benefits in terms of signal integrity. Try hooking the CDP to the AVR via SPDIF, and if that provides a satisfactory result, then I'd recommend sticking with that route (as it may be closer to "lossless").

Offline jao143

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 09:03 AM »
The reason I asked is because of conversion issues. I'm not sure how Denon AVRs handle volume adjustments. If it does it in the digital domain (and it probably does), then even using Pure Direct will mean that the analogue inputs are converted back to digital (AD conversion) before volume adjustments are done, then reconverted back to analogue (using the AVR's DAC) before heading to the preouts. Pure Direct usually skips additional processing and turns off unused subsystems, but it may not mean that there is no conversion being done on your analogue data.

If this is the case, then adding the extra DAC (or connecting via analogue) would just result in a different sonic flavor, and may not result in benefits in terms of signal integrity. Try hooking the CDP to the AVR via SPDIF, and if that provides a satisfactory result, then I'd recommend sticking with that route (as it may be closer to "lossless").

Very helpful sir, I will give this a try. Thanks :)

BTW, would it be possible to skip the preamp altogether? for example: cdp-dac-power amp? Is this possible? Can I use a rca splitter to connect the avr and dac for the L&R  section of the power amp?
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2011 at 09:08 AM by jao143 »
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 09:59 AM »
BTW, would it be possible to skip the preamp altogether? for example: cdp-dac-power amp? Is this possible?
Unless one of your components allow volume adjustments, I don't think this is practical. You'd need a separate preamp.

Can I use a rca splitter to connect the avr and dac for the L&R  section of the power amp?

No. That will overload your AVR and your DAC. You can use a signal switcher, if you want to share your power amp.

Offline jao143

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 10:02 AM »
Again, thank you sir, really appreciate your responses :)
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 10:42 AM »
Again, thank you sir, really appreciate your responses :)

You're welcome. :)