Author Topic: Some questions about Blu-Ray players....  (Read 7328 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Some questions about Blu-Ray players....
« on: Dec 03, 2011 at 08:53 PM »
1. What is the least expensive BUT good quality brand out there? The least expensive I've found is around PhP10,000 give or take.

2. I've got Blu-Ray discs coming from the States, do I need to buy a specific type of Blu-Ray player in order to play them? What about locally bought Blu-rays? What is our region codes, etc.?

I apologize if there's a thread for this already but I'd like some help. Thanks.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: Some questions about Blu-Ray players....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2011 at 10:58 PM »
1. What is the least expensive BUT good quality brand out there? The least expensive I've found is around PhP10,000 give or take.

2. I've got Blu-Ray discs coming from the States, do I need to buy a specific type of Blu-Ray player in order to play them? What about locally bought Blu-rays? What is our region codes, etc.?

I apologize if there's a thread for this already but I'd like some help. Thanks.

1. Least expensive is 7t Lg brand, but for best pricing you may check out what's available sa Ating marketplace. Recommended seller is anya and toy 01.

2. We share the same region as USA which is region A so no problem if you will purchase player from USA or Philippines.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2011 at 01:03 AM »
Try to consider Samsung BD-5100, just for 6990.00

CHeck also our Marketplace section for better deals.

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2011 at 07:49 AM »
Try to consider Samsung BD-5100, just for 6990.00

CHeck also our Marketplace section for better deals.

+1. Although Cd-R King has a 3.5K bluray player while some branded players are offered on sale from time to time.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2011 at 05:46 PM »
I just thought of a couple of more questions:

Can Blu-ray players play regular DVD's as well? I've got both Region 1 and Region 3 DVD's, do I need to keep my region-free DVD player? Thanks!

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2011 at 05:50 PM »
I just thought of a couple of more questions:

Can Blu-ray players play regular DVD's as well? I've got both Region 1 and Region 3 DVD's, do I need to keep my region-free DVD player? Thanks!

Yes, BD player can play any* DVD-Video media/disc if and only if your BD player is All-Region capable, otherwise you can only playback DVDs with a region that the same as your DVD player

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2011 at 11:19 PM »
Save a little more and get a PS3.  12.3k lang yata iyung 160GB (Cash, Datablitz) or 13.4k (320GB, Cash, Datablitz).  Baka mas mura pa sa iba...  you don't have to jailbreak if you want to use it as a BD player. 

HDMI, two-channel sound unless your gear have optical connections.  But it's the most powerful BD Player for that amount of money...  It can play 3D Bluray if your flat panel can handle it...  The PS3 games capability are a bonus...

But if you want cheap, then the CD-R King brand could do for the least amount of money...  as to durability, oh well, at least you have six months to try to break it...

If you need analog 5.1 out, then those lesser known brands like NextBase and Xenon have them.  Around 10-12k.  Quality is probably akin to CD-R King's...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2011 at 11:22 PM »
As for Region Code, all BD Player bought locally can play Region A Bluray.  But DVD playback with branded ones are probably region 3 (including the PS3), but those lesser brands (CDR-King, NextBase, Xenon) are probably region-free for DVD...

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2011 at 12:54 AM »
Save a little more and get a PS3.  12.3k lang yata iyung 160GB (Cash, Datablitz) or 13.4k (320GB, Cash, Datablitz).  Baka mas mura pa sa iba...  you don't have to jailbreak if you want to use it as a BD player. 

I don't play video games.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2011 at 10:53 PM »
I don't play video games.
It's a bonus, since the PS3's price is competitive vis-a-vis other mid-end BD players.  So even if you don't play games, the PS3 is still a great Bluray player for that price.  Just because it's a Playstation means it's for games only, I believe many people here use their PS3 exclusively for Bluray movies...

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 12:34 AM »
My brother actually has a PS3 which he uses for Blu-rays but he has moved out and I want my own Blu-ray player. Personally, I just want a player that play the Blu-rays I buy from the States, the Blu-rays I will buy in the Philippines and my Region 1 and Region 3 DVD's that's of good quality and reasonable price.

If there is a such a thing.

If not, let me know so I'll plan for it better. Thank you.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 12:53 AM »
My brother actually has a PS3 which he uses for Blu-rays but he has moved out and I want my own Blu-ray player. Personally, I just want a player that play the Blu-rays I buy from the States, the Blu-rays I will buy in the Philippines and my Region 1 and Region 3 DVD's that's of good quality and reasonable price.

If there is a such a thing.

If not, let me know so I'll plan for it better. Thank you.

Someone is selling a BNEW Samsung BD-D5100 BD player for only Php 4,000.00 here. I am using the same player (read my review in the BD thread). I recommend this player as this is the best value BD player.

The only issue about this player is that the DVD playback is locked to Region 3, however there are some fixes around to have it region-free so you can playback your R1 DVDs. You just need a special remote or even Logitech Harmony RC to make it region-free

Offline BusyChild

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 04:12 PM »
Sirs, question... para saan yung "digital copy" (why is it included when you already have the Bluray Disc to watch on a BD player) and saan ito pinapanood? Noob here... thanks!
May you get everything you want, but nothing that you need.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 07:22 PM »
I do believe the "digital copy" is for computers, iPhones, iPads and such. It's a LEGAL copy of the film you can rip and play in those venues.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 10:19 PM »
I think a CD-R King Bluray Player would meet your needs...  It's region free DVD, and Region A Bluray.  Read the CD-R King for feedback on the player, it's mainly positive with one unit conking out just as the 6-months guarantee is about to expire. ;D

Offline mikz023

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 07:07 AM »
Most of the Bluray Disk has a video resolution of 1080p, my question is can I downscale it to 720p using a BD player or NMT? coz my plasma tv has a capability of 720p only. thanks

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 07:15 AM »
Most of the Bluray Disk has a video resolution of 1080p, my question is can I downscale it to 720p using a BD player or NMT? coz my plasma tv has a capability of 720p only. thanks

Yes. Most (if not all) BD player can have a video out of 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Many 720 native panel plasma can accept 1080p video signal.

Offline mikz023

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 09:23 AM »
Yes. Most (if not all) BD player can have a video out of 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Many 720 native panel plasma can accept 1080p video signal.

same with NMT? I don't like 1080p resolution in my plasma since i want to utilize the full screen option.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 01:55 PM »
same with NMT? I don't like 1080p resolution in my plasma since i want to utilize the full screen option.

Yes.

Offline berserker33

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM »
ano po pwede nyo ma suggest na bluray player na pwede mag play ng jack sparrow dvd and pwede mag play ng usb at hdd (fat32 and ntfs format)?

Offline coastal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 06:50 AM »
I do not like using the bd player for dvds much more with jack sparrows so I still have a separate dvd player. But if you must, all bd players should be able to play them and the latest models from samsung and lg can play media files via the usb port as well.

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2011 at 04:06 PM »
are there any format/disk reading problems from the samsung bd5100?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2011 at 04:08 PM »
It's a bonus, since the PS3's price is competitive vis-a-vis other mid-end BD players.  So even if you don't play games, the PS3 is still a great Bluray player for that price.  Just because it's a Playstation means it's for games only, I believe many people here use their PS3 exclusively for Bluray movies...

Though it is a very versatile device, its main drawbacks as a BDP are higher power consumption and more moving parts. Other downsides include not supporting HD Audio when 3d mode is engaged, slower load times, high jitter transport, and lower PQ (close, but often not upto par with mid-level and higher end standalone players).

Online Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2011 at 04:55 PM »
What about playing BDs with the 24Hz option enabled? Is there really a noticeable change?

Offline andsmv

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2011 at 11:38 PM »
are there any format/disk reading problems from the samsung bd5100?

Slightly OT, i have LG BD660 3D bluray player and there is no problem reading external hard disk formatted in NTFS.

Offline andsmv

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 12:00 AM »
I do not like using the bd player for dvds much more with jack sparrows so I still have a separate dvd player. But if you must, all bd players should be able to play them and the latest models from samsung and lg can play media files via the usb port as well.

What is your reason for that? Please share! Thanks!

Offline coastal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 06:22 AM »
You don't need to overwork the bd lens and overall mechanism especially with sparrow discs thereby preserving your unit for its main function. Anyway dvd players are dime a dozen so why waste a good bd player.

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2012 at 02:04 PM »
plus one on coastal

Offline sdsmds

• Trade Count: (+356)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2012 at 03:16 AM »
Bros what bdp can you recommend? Max budget is 15k. I'm using Philips bdp2500 and problem is some bd's can't play especially the used one. Unknown or no disc ang reading na lumalabas sa monitor. Tried using the same bd's sa ps3 and its ok.

Tia

Offline TOP 20

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • Turn, Turn, Turn
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2012 at 03:23 AM »
Bros what bdp can you recommend? Max budget is 15k. I'm using Philips bdp2500 and problem is some bd's can't play especially the used one. Unknown or no disc ang reading na lumalabas sa monitor. Tried using the same bd's sa ps3 and its ok.

Tia

Have you updated the firmware bro?
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2012 at 03:24 AM by TOP 20 »
Ecclesiastes 3:1-9
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.