Author Topic: 1st time NMT buyer, suggestions?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline aperfectcircle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1st time NMT buyer, suggestions?
« on: Jan 02, 2012 at 03:29 PM »
Happy new year to Pinoydvd!

Need your help gurus,

As a first time media player buyer since I just got my 1st TV set from SnS (Thanks sir Vic!)
I'd like to ask for your advice on which suits me, I need:

internal 1TB
WIFI
Torrent downloader
expandable USB port for my other external HDD

Sorry, ang dami kasing ibat ibang brands or models ng mga NMT, which gives me a hard time kung ano ba talaga ang most affordable based dun sa needs ko sana.

Thanks!  :D

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
Re: 1st time NMT buyer, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012 at 05:04 PM »
Go for the AC Ryan Play On HD2 with the optional USB wifi dongle.

Offline HD_Afficionado

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 04:18 AM »
Sir,

If you are looking for the most affordable player that can meet your needs, then i suggest you get a Realtek 1073 based player. Although it is an older chipset (released 2009), it supports basic functionality that you require. It can also play all MKV files. Price range is 4k-5k.

You can also get players with bundled 1tb hard disk, price range should be P8.5k to P10k. However, since may external HDD ka na, suggest wag ka na muna bumili ng harddisk ngayon, mahal kasi, baka better of you wait mga 2nd qtr.

Kaya lang, you have to add, P650 for WIFI dongle.

Please read this site also so you can better understand chipsets at hindi ka gaano malito.
http://www.iboum.com/artkill/chipsets.php

If you are just in the vicinity of QC, I have a demo unit with 1073 chipset that you can try.

Regards,
HD_afficionado

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 05:13 AM »
I have opted to revise my recent post considering brader's HD afficionado's "damdamin".  
a. Brands will always stand on its own merits, suggestions are solicited by the TS
b. those of us who prefer to help newbies :
  • b.1 provide practical tips to save and stretch  budgets. so knowing disk prices is 50% higher than pre-Thai flood, I'd say preowned disk is attractive, but its no secret i get all my disks new and from a fellow brader @ PDVD, and when I am really busy  i even ask some to get it from him directly and i install 'em and ship, so chill.
  • b.2 help newbies who  plan to go to a shop, and advise them to  shop around and compare brands side by side, so it is best to visit a multibrand sellers, they can lay down the all for you. Do not  mistake confidence for  certain brands as a push,  coz i see it as a save newbies not to walk into an ambush, i mean, a shop with one brand and worse dated products.

Audition in shops with  multibrand NMT so it wont limit your options to the brand they sell (those with single brands) minsan kasi nahihiya ang users cant walk away, so buy siya despite with the hanging question "ok ba 'to?".   I personally own multibrand Egreat,Measy,Pch,mede8er 500, Hi-Media --- kanya-kanyanng strengths kasi.

1055 vs. 1073 vs 1185 Realteks which to buy? - 1185 hands down (1073 and 1055 are still out there but is no longer produced in larger quantities)  if your budget is 5K for a player, hanap ka ng 1185 that fits the budget, coz meron yan, strip out the wifi dongle and/or warranty 12 months.

on used disks - i recommend this for those in budget and simply due to the abnormal high price. i cant bring myself to buy a 4k disk at 6k price tag, maybe because i order regularly and the 50% jump is just too much.  just practical tips to save money. its a choice to stretch your mulah.
some people collect contents, some watch then discard.
Those who still wish to buy disks go for used disks these days, at least until price goes down. It is a risk some prefer to take at 20%~50% less cost of the new ones.  I also help friends who upgrade HDD to get rid of their disk, ones trash is another ones gold mine.

I recently had a binge of 2TB used and so far all of the 6 i purchased at a time the price is courting 5800/2TB, i got them for 4600-5000 with contents  in them. aba eh ok yun. it gave me the opportunity to dispose my old 1TB and 1.5TB, without the sting of an expensive buy.

[UPDATED]

Its always a function of your taste and budget. some dont mind the flimsy finish or funny remotes that gets changed 2 times (guess what brand) but others are very particular with aesthetics.

1st time NMT buyer here's my recommendation
-- grab a preowned  if 1073 is your taste, (dont but old stock!)
-- grab a 1185 chip like  Measy e8HDL/X6 (won't mention EGreat 1185 kasi you can always go to the PDVD marketplace :) )
--grab a preowned disk, nego for freebies,  or if you want new buy disk only when you see 2TB at < 4k :)
-- Audition at shops with  multibrand NMT para di ka ma lock in o ma-limit ang options. I own multibrand Egreat,Measy,Pch,mede8er for a baseline, kanya-kanyanng strengths kasi.

-- Realtek all things equal go for 1185 over 1073. but grab the 1073 if they are preowned and priced low, I gave away my last stock of 1073 under 4k recently, i have not reordered since (1073 is a good chip, but its just not new and for the same price range, go 1185).
-- is torrent importent -- look for torrent client na transmissions or MLdonkey. bandwidth throttling, and which you can set the target drives (tree huggers run their DL on external USB disks)

Happy hunting, and  save your budget for bigger disk capacity later.

1st time NMT considering Realtek, here's a quickie guide:
you want NMT to play movies, no networking (1055 is best fit for tight budgets)
you want NMT to be networked (1073,1185 in, 1055 out)
you want NMT with  web browsing (1185 is in,1073 & 1055  out, check out the Mede8er 500X2 ),
you want NMT to download reliably (i'd recommend torrent client na transmissions with bandwidth throttling, test it with > 5GB downloads,Measy e8HDL beta has this fixed recently )

sa 1st time NMT considering Sigma,  key is full BD navigation menu :

To enjoy BD full navigation menu from HD content  go sigma

To enjoy BD full navigation menu from HD content + BDROM inside:
if you have a BD player existing bundled with your new display, just grab an NMT without BDROM

if you want the cheapest Realtek player, . if walang front button control unlike the Mede8er line,
DO NOT BUY units with cheapy remote so ask how much is the remote replacement and ask if other Realtek based NMT remotes is compatible to the unit before buying or ask how much is a spare(if the vendor cannot supply you one, walk away!).

1073 chip are still available pero since invest ka, go look for 1185 chip at  may really low cost 1185 chip out there (as in < 5k!). this avoids your wondering later on had it been 1073 lang kinuha mo.

Is budget a priority?  go for (< 5K, realtek 1185, w/o wifi )
--- no-internal-drive-tray: Egreat R6A-ii(eSATA + USB disks)  + Egreat R1-ii  (disk plugs direct to unit)
---with-internal-drive-tray: Measy X6

Is download is a priority?  go for Transmissions torrent app that can pick storage disk for download use AND limit bandwidth throttling for upload. MLDonkey app is also good. (both DL app is found in Egreat S100 pro/S900). Neighbor web does ok download for smaller files pero if you really one a kick ass DL , transmissions is good.

BDROM + MKV playback priority? If budget is no issue, go  for PCH C300 or Egreat S900 (built in BDROM, + disk combo)

Disks are priced higher than it was Q3/2011, I'd go for preowned meantime and get 720p files (quantity).

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2012 at 06:56 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline HD_Afficionado

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 06:57 AM »
Sir Aperfectcircle,

If you think you will wonder later on, just go for 1185 based chipset as toys4geeks suggested.

Actually, if you are in QC area, I can even show you a player with 1073 and 1185 chipset to help you decide. If you want my two cents, suggest you evaluate based on Value for Money, i.e. incremental gain versus incremental cost.

By the way, some posts in this forum are biased, so just be careful in evaluating. Evaluate the posts and see if they are providing informative replies or simply pushing their own products. Suggest you also read other forums/reviews to help you arrive at a better judgement.

Just PM me if you need additional advise.

Goodluck Sir in finding your 1st NMT!

Cheers!
HD_Afficionado

PS: To toys4geeks, I saw how you manipulated your posts just to make your post look more recent. You shouldn't do that, I used to respect you but now you lost your credibility. All your recommendations/ suggestions are clearly a push for your product including the second hand harddrives.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 07:32 AM »
Sir Aperfectcircle,

If you think you will wonder later on, just go for 1185 based chipset as toys4geeks suggested.

Actually, if you are in QC area, I can even show you a player with 1073 and 1185 chipset to help you decide. If you want my two cents, suggest you evaluate based on Value for Money, i.e. incremental gain versus incremental cost.

By the way, some posts in this forum are biased, so just be careful in evaluating. Evaluate the posts and see if they are providing informative replies or simply pushing their own products. Suggest you also read other forums/reviews to help you arrive at a better judgement.

Just PM me if you need additional advise.

Goodluck Sir in finding your 1st NMT!

Cheers!
HD_Afficionado

PS: To toys4geeks, I saw how you manipulated your posts just to make your post look more recent. You shouldn't do that, I used to respect you but now you lost your credibility. All your recommendations/ suggestions are clearly a push for your product including the second hand harddrives.
??? ??? ???  Ikaw ba Hindi?  Also what is wrong with 2nd hand harddrives, aside from being cheaper it already has content pa.  That is what we do among friends, Pasa pasa Lang ng hdd. ;)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 08:43 AM »
Happy new year to Pinoydvd!

Need your help gurus,

As a first time media player buyer since I just got my 1st TV set from SnS (Thanks sir Vic!)
I'd like to ask for your advice on which suits me, I need:

internal 1TB
WIFI
Torrent downloader

Sorry, ang dami kasing ibat ibang brands or models ng mga NMT, which gives me a hard time kung ano ba talaga ang most affordable based dun sa needs ko sana.

Thanks!  :D

What is your budget?  Affordable is relative.

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 04:58 PM »
internal 1TB
WIFI
Torrent downloader

Parang Measy X6 ang pinaka all around, but I don't own it (so I can't really recommend it with any credibility).  I added to my budget kasi and bought the S100 (although walang internal HDD, and additional cost pa ang wifi version).

If you are just in the vicinity of QC, I have a demo unit with 1073 chipset that you can try.

In the interest of your statement "some posts in this forum are biased", what demo units were you planning to show thread starter?  Is it, by any chance, Kaiboer?

But to your point, Sanjay, toys4geeks, and yourself were the first ones to reply to this thread.

Para hindi ako OT, I recommend to the TS to read the below topics:
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,81377.0.html (sticky)
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,110450.0.html (sticky)
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,109037.0.html (sticky)
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,153709.0.html
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,150634.0.html
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,142992.0.html
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2012 at 05:02 PM by paolorenzo »

Offline bher2

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 08:43 PM »
sir, makisingit po.

reading some threads regarding NMTs, i was wondering if theres any other hd media player with an internal bd besides egreat s900? im on a tight budget po kse.. thanks in advance.

Offline mikz023

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 08:50 PM »
sir, makisingit po.

reading some threads regarding NMTs, i was wondering if theres any other hd media player with an internal bd besides egreat s900? im on a tight budget po kse.. thanks in advance.

I think its dune hd kaso wala ata d2 sa atin and mahal.

Offline karloff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • DJ, Home Theater Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 09:36 PM »
sir, makisingit po.

check this:http://www.ebuyph.com/PictureShow.asp?P_ID=1360

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 04:05 AM »
sir, makisingit po.

(sigma - pro:  both can play full BD menu navigation to access special features, stunning PQ/SQ)
Egreat S900 is priced Kaiboer K750Li,but if on a budget, grab one without the BD drive, you can get one < 8K
(realtek - pro: lower priced con: no full BD menu navigation)
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2012 at 04:31 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline tein

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sound and Vision Home Entertainment 0917-5160808
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM »
Mede8er 300x and 500x2 elite is ready for demo at our shop.

Please check our facebook site for details.

www.facebook.com/SoundandVisionPH