Author Topic: Crying Ladies  (Read 17291 times)

Offline acyl_halide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Crying Ladies
« on: Aug 30, 2003 at 11:17 AM »
Unconventional role
for Sharon Cuneta
Posted: 10:40 PM (Manila Time) | Aug. 29, 2003
By Rica Arevalo
Inquirer News Service

WATCH out for Unitel Pictures' "Crying Ladies" before the year ends. Mark Meily directs from a screenplay (originally titled "Bayan Luha") that won third prize at the Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature two years ago.

I met Meily, a successful TV commercial director, about a decade ago when he became my professor in cinematography. He would bring our class to his shoots and assign us to be clappers or video assistants. For our finals, he let us shoot scenes using a 35mm Panaflex or a Mitchell film camera. Although we never saw the rushes (the magazine could have been empty), he made us experience "real" shooting.

Surprisingly, after not seeing each other for years, he invited me to see the rough cut of "Crying Ladies." He wanted to hear what the youth has to say about his first feature film. Jokingly, he wanted me to grade him. Our roles were reversed.

The term "crying ladies" refers to women being hired to shed tears at funeral wakes. But this film is more than just that. Sharon Cuneta deviates from her traditional wife-y roles. Cunetas' character has served a term in prison for estafa and is struggling to gain custody of her son from her ex-husband (Ricky Davao). She is a gambler, liar and dreamer. From the beginning, the image of the stereotypical Filipino mother is forgotten.

Eric Quizon plays the eldest son of a Chinese father who has just passed away. Upon the request of his mother, he hires Sharon to cry at his father's wake and funeral. Cuneta, desperate for money, accepts the job and contacts her friends Angel Aquino and Hilda Koronel.

Aquino works for a religious foundation and keeps making the same mistake in her life, much to the dismay of the priest played by Johnny Delgado. Koronel's character, on the other hand, is a has-been actress whose biggest triumph was her having been part of the movie, "Darna and The Giants."

The film is witty, upbeat and unpredictable. We see a different Sharon Cuneta and we are glad she accepted the role. And as for Meily, we give him high mark for a job well done.

Let's hope "Crying Ladies" survives the box office competition in the December filmfest, so that more films like this will be produced.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Crying Ladies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2004 at 07:03 PM »
Will watch this tomorrow. Hope it lives up to its hype. So far, everyone whose opinion I consider has liked it.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Crying Ladies
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2004 at 08:56 PM »
RE: Sharon Cuneta's casting in Crying Ladies

Unlike the majority of people, I thought the casting of Sharon was pretty subversive. I think the movie's strongest suits was the way it sort of f**ked around with this perception we all obviously seem to have of Sharon and of all the movie personas/cliches she has made famous - - - the aspirational singer wannabe , the harassed  mother , the melodramatic "crying lady" of her many melodramas ,  even her  real-life weight problem - - -Ricky Davao to his new wife refering to Sharon's character : "Malakas kumain yan." ) - - -  is given a dig.  

(The movie revels in such stuff. Eric Quizon's throaway line :"Babaero kasi Tatay ko eh". That's an in-joke if there ever was one. Even if you can't be bothered to watch Tagalog movies or listen to gossip, that's something we all know.)  

Hell, even the casual plugs of all the products she endorsed  - - -a caveat that might've been glaringly commercial - - -was put to good satiric effect.

I think one of the funniest jokes in the movie was the part where Sharon finds her ironic new "career" (trying to avoid spoilers here), just look at her on the job - - -it's a send-up of every pose and inflection Sharon has put on since she became a star and the closing montage where her new "career " has bought her to the consciousness level of the masses is a send-up of her megastar status.

The movie works at face value. But another actress, even another more competent actress, might have made it more competent but also more conventional, something the conventional majority possibly prefers. But I also  think the movie works , in subtext probably but not that buried, as a Sharon Cuneta satire.

I'd be more impressed if she still agreed to do the film, knowing fully that they were satirizing her.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Crying Ladies
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2004 at 05:15 PM »
just saw this with Justine. we enjoyed it a lot. not only did it poke fun at Sharon's celebrity, even Eric Quizon's dad, Dolphy wasn't spared (as earlier posted here).

I finally got my wish from last year's filmfest, that I expect better movies about the Filipino-Chinese community after Mano Po. Mark Meily's directorial debut not only delivered better; I agree that it was a refreshing output from our local industry. not only did it comment about the said community, it was also a snapshot of our culture.

As noticed in another thread, the movie was able to make three losers (whom in real life, we wouldn't even give the time of day) endear themselves to our hearts. Personally, I prefer this movie over Magnifico. The De Los Reyes film was still trapped in melodrama but Meily's work makes sure that after our tear ducts were stimulated, we'll find ourselves laughing with the characters.

The trailer did justice to the movie, it really lived up to the hype. I still have to see Jeturian's entry to judge which of the two is best. 'Though I noticed in the credits that Jeff seemed to have helped in this work.

Also loved the animation short Siopawman!

I gotta have the soundtrack too!

Hilda Koronel was hilarious! Eric Quizon deserved that lead award. It compares to Vilma's understated work in Dekada '70 and Fernanda Montenegro's in Central Station.

Kudos to the filmfest for not heaping praise on melodramas and citing the less flashier perfs!

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Crying Ladies
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2004 at 05:58 PM »
Saw it finally, its refreshing dramedy at its best! I agree with Reuven Malter's review...

Hilda Koronel was hilarious! Perfect for replacement for the late Nida Blanca!
I dont know if any other actress could pull that part so much....

Sharon Cuneta is miscast in this movie...glad that the MMFF juror didnt get her nod.

I do hope that the dvd release will feature its trailer, cast & crew interviews and much more features....

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2004 at 11:58 PM »
The movie is good but Sharon Cuneta does not fit the role she played.  She's too pretty and her face is too flawless.  And for some reason, local movies can't seem to come up with satisfying endings.  

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2004 at 10:06 AM »
I wouldn't know about pretty, she's about as attractive as a sack of potatoes.  But yeah, I can see her as being too soft and spoiled to be cast in a lower-class role...

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2004 at 11:42 AM »
This film has got to be one of the best pinoy films ever made.They really did research on the chinese burial custom.The script was great and the acting laudable.I like just a handful of pinoy films and this flick is one
of them.Didn't even wanted to watch it at first but still liked it.It's a film not to be missed.
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2004 at 11:44 PM »
Minsan lang ako makapanood ng filipino comedy na hindi slapstick at isa na ito at enjoy pa ako.

Sobrang nakakatuwa si Hilda Koronel!

Nagulat ako na isang advertising production company ang gumawa. Sana may sumunod pa sa kanila (sa paggawa ng pelikulang de-kalidad kahit di siguradong papatok sa takilya) dahil sigurado namang malaki kinikita ng mga kumpanyang ito.

Offline cliche

• Apprentice
  • Lone Wolf
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 12:42 PM »
I really liked this film. For me, It was the best Filipino film for the year. Pulido yung trabaho.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 02:16 AM »
watched it, loved it.  hilda stole the whole movie, and yes, sharon was miscast.  but on the whole, i enjoyed it.

i'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but johnny delgado, who plays a priest, was wearing a wedding ring in the confessional.  deliberate?  

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 02:45 AM »
i liked the movie and i thought Ate Shawie was pretty good. i just couldn't stand angel aquino and eric quizon's subplot. great opening though... at least they didn't do the whole landscape/driving montage with yellow or pink font for opening credits thing.

saw the ring too. i distinctly remember from religion class that priests and nuns wear "wedding rings" on their fingers to signify their commitment to God. correct me if i'm wrong someone.

Offline ACIDRAIN

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 08:39 AM »
I'm from Unitel, saw this thread, then wow!  :oI felt really proud about our very first full feature offering (although we also did American Adobo ahead of this but it was a co-production with Star Cinema :-\) upon reading your comments. Thanks for watching! Please buy the OST and also the DVD soon!  ;)

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 09:23 AM »
Loved the opening sequence.

ACIDRAIN I heard that Ate Shawie agreed to a pay cut just so the movie can afford her. Is this the reason for the integration of a lot of Sharon's commercials in the screenplay?

Offline ACIDRAIN

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 11:18 AM »
Loved the opening sequence.

ACIDRAIN I heard that Ate Shawie agreed to a pay cut just so the movie can afford her. Is this the reason for the integration of a lot of Sharon's commercials in the screenplay?

The opening sequence was done by our sister company, Optima Digital.  Personally, I liked it too.

Phobos, I'm not privy to the financial aspects of the production but I heard rumors like that spreading around, so funny  :D.

You know, I don't think that's the reason behind it. And it's not only her that gave talent fee "discounts", we, the staff as well agreed to do the film on a minimal fee and some even free and some x-deal, just to be able to do the film while sharing the same passion.

Unitel is a small production house. We don't have the same budget as the big ones. In my take, those brands that you see in the film may have, in many different ways, helped Unitel produce the film. It's unavoidable that sharon herself will always be associated with those brands.

I myself is quite amused how those brands were integrated in the script. For me, it fit in. For example, the Alaska jingle contest, I can't imagine using other jingle for that scene.

Offline ACIDRAIN

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 11:27 AM »
I can't imagine also not having Sharon in the film. She's the only one who can deliver those lines, and the idea of her, wanting to be a "singer" but turned out to become a videoke "megastar". ;D

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 12:14 PM »
i guess that's why i didn't really mind the blatant product placements in the movie... it was for the greater good.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 01:42 PM »
Gotta watch this.

I'll try to squeeze this into my sked this saturday. That is, if it's still showing by then.

Sigh. I think 2003 was the year when I watched the least number of movies.  Pathetic.

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2004 at 01:36 AM »
Medyo pa-humble effect pa si ACIDRAIN. I heard na ang company ninyo (at yung mga sister companies) ang pinakamalaking ad production and post production company sa bansa.

Puwede bang bigyan mo naman kami ng info tungkol sa DVD edition ng Crying Ladies? Interesado kasi akong kumuha ng kopya.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2004 at 03:42 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Sharon and I've lobbed a few insults her way but I have liked some of her performances in the past (in the Brocka movies and when she's handled by Joyce Bernal) and I have liked Tanging Ina so I'll definitely try watch this when I can.

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2004 at 09:06 AM »
it's one of the best tagalog movies i've seen.

meron lang one major flaw...sharon cuneta!
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2004 at 09:06 AM by diesel »
how can anyone love a pebble in their shoe?

Offline ACIDRAIN

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2004 at 10:09 AM »
Medyo pa-humble effect pa si ACIDRAIN. I heard na ang company ninyo (at yung mga sister companies) ang pinakamalaking ad production and post production company sa bansa.

Puwede bang bigyan mo naman kami ng info tungkol sa DVD edition ng Crying Ladies? Interesado kasi akong kumuha ng kopya.

hahaha :D...sa ad industry pwede pero iba ang industriya ng pelikula. sa ad industry, may bayad kada trabaho, sa pelikula, mamumuhunan ka muna  :-\

anyways, about the DVD edition, still don't know the final contents but definitely there will be lots of BTS (behind-the-scenes)...just wait a few months  ;)

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2004 at 11:59 AM »
I think Sharon was just right for this movie.All those sponsored insert was just hilarious.Sharon showed that she could be multi-faceted.She can be dramatic, serious,funny,etc.Not like most of the other local actors that have only one way of acting.Just watch Filipinas and Mano Po2.Some of the actors there act that way in their ordinary lives.
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2004 at 01:00 PM »
Yeah, Sharon wasn’t bad.

She’s central to the movie, almost like tendon. So if you liked the movie, chances are you actually liked her here. You only thought you didn’t. :)

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2004 at 05:43 PM »
Yeah, Sharon wasn’t bad.

She’s central to the movie, almost like tendon. So if you liked the movie, chances are you actually liked her here. You only thought you didn’t. :)

siguro lang maricel could have pulled it off better

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Crying Ladies
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2004 at 09:47 PM »
a review in the Inquirer found the film anti-Filipino. well, it's a satire for crying out loud. we really have to be told what's wrong with us culturally to get out of our rut. we tend to choose to do what's wrong out of the need to survive. this is not to condone our pitfalls but as human beings, one doesn't have to be confrontational or punitive to correct another person. if it's in done with a good sense of humor, we could cajole the other party to reform. this is how I deal with my students and it always works. this is why I was able to relate to what Crying Ladies was trying to impart. I believe it deserves the Gatpuno Villegas award more than Filipinas.

kudos to Unitel! welcome to the board, acidrain!

Offline ACIDRAIN

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 01:32 PM »
you're right about that. totoo naman kasing nangyayari yung mga yun eh sa totoong buhay.

deisel,

maricel could have. but in some ways probaby the judges aren't ready to give recognition to a comic role, don't you think? I can't remember a comic-role actor having won the best actor/actress award in any award -giving body here in the Philippines. hmm just an opinion.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2004 at 04:43 PM by ACIDRAIN »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 02:34 PM »
you're right about that. totoo naman kasing nangyayari yung mga yun eh sa totoong buhay.

x44,

maricel could have. but in some ways probaby the judges aren't ready to give recognition to a comic role, don't you think? I can't remember a comic-role actor having won the best actor/actress award in any award -giving body here in the Philippines. hmm just an opinion.

I think Gloria Romero won a Best Actress award for Manang Biday.  

I can't remember if Dolphy won anything for Facifica Falayfay or his other "gay" role in that Brocka flick -- Ang Tatay kong Nanay(?).

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 02:57 PM »

x44,

sharon is still making pa-cute in most scenes. mark meilly should have squeezed more acting juices from her.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 03:28 PM »
siguro lang maricel could have pulled it off better

Maybe. But it would've been a different movie. A more conventional movie at that.