Author Topic: Crying Ladies  (Read 17339 times)

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Crying Ladies
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 03:30 PM »
x44,

maricel could have. but in some ways probaby the judges aren't ready to give recognition to a comic role, don't you think? I can't remember a comic-role actor having won the best actor/actress award in any award -giving body here in the Philippines. hmm just an opinion.

The judges were wack.  It wasn't me pimping for Maricel, though, ACIDRAIN, that was diesel.  ;) Maricel  in Filipinas, you could see the seams. Maricel in Filipinas, she acted like  someone acting, not like someone in real life. Sharon , though, was spot-on. Very spot-on.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2004 at 03:35 PM by X44 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 03:34 PM »
sharon is still making pa-cute in most scenes. mark meilly should have squeezed more acting juices from her.

And this makes her a lousy actress . . .how?

Don't want to be soapboxing for Sharon. Am not even a fan. Her commercials blow. But I wish you would elaborate why she was "miscast" , diesel. She's 80% of the movie. If she sucked, 80% of the movie sucked. Just surprises me how Crying Ladies could be good but Sharon be a major flaw. ???

Just asking, of course. :)

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 04:01 PM »
It seems to me most people refuse to admit that Sharon was quite good in this movie.

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 04:29 PM »
And this makes her a lousy actress . . .how?

Don't want to be soapboxing for Sharon. Am not even a fan. Her commercials blow. But I wish you would elaborate why she was "miscast" , diesel. She's 80% of the movie. If she sucked, 80% of the movie sucked. Just surprises me how Crying Ladies could be good but Sharon be a major flaw. ???

Just asking, of course. :)

i don't remember using the word "miscast".  

she was the movies' major flaw.  after all , she was the lead character.  but being the lead character doesn't necessarily make her 80% of the movie.  i don't think mark meilly would even agree.

i love this movie.  i think this is the best tagalog movie of 2003. and i can think of a lot of great things about this movie--the story, the supporting cast, etc.  

but nothing's perfect.  and in this movie, i see it's imperfection in sharon's acting. in spite of more than two decades in the business, sharon lacked the depth.

i don't hate sharon.  what i'm trying to say is that, this movie could have been better kung hindi sya nagpapa-cute.  at talaga namang nagpapacute sya.  

nasabi ko na maricel could have pulled it off better.  mas linya ni marya ang comedy and drama.

peace  :)

how can anyone love a pebble in their shoe?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 04:39 PM »
Yeah, you're right, diesel, that was someone else,sorry.  :)

I've elaborated at great length why Sharon is integral to how the movie  worked. With all due respect, Maricel's probably competent but she's not an icon. Sharon is. And her iconicity - - -including all her pa-cute mannerisms , which I'm willing to bet were intentional, as in what the director wanted - - -is what makes the satiric undercurrents of the movie rich and funny.

And she holds the movie together. Tendon, like I said. The spine of the movie is her story - - - her kid issues, her popstar dreams, her fragile bond with the Eric Quizon character  - - - all the others were subplots. So, 80%. More or less give or take. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2004 at 04:40 PM by X44 »

Offline ACIDRAIN

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 04:44 PM »
The judges were wack.  It wasn't me pimping for Maricel, though, ACIDRAIN, that was diesel.  ;) Maricel  in Filipinas, you could see the seams. Maricel in Filipinas, she acted like  someone acting, not like someone in real life. Sharon , though, was spot-on. Very spot-on.

sorry, my bad  ;)

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 04:56 PM »
I think Sharon fitted her role quite well. True, she may not be perfect but I don't see her as a distraction to take away the movie's other merits. I completely agree with X44 that Sharon is ideal for the part, that the movie is a total deconstruction of Sharon's legacy in showbusiness. That her undecided role (whether she is an entertainer, singer, actress or mother) is similar to Sharon's almost confused role in showbusiness.

On the side, I read in a magazine article that Mark Meily is a Zhang Yimou fan (ranking Red Sorghum, Not One Less and another Yimou movie as his top three)... Star Magazine (Philippine Star's Sunday Magazin)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 05:34 PM »

I've elaborated at great length why Sharon is integral to how the movie  worked. With all due respect, Maricel's probably competent but she's not an icon. Sharon is. And her iconicity - - -including all her pa-cute mannerisms , which I'm willing to bet were intentional, as in what the director wanted - - -is what makes the satiric undercurrents of the movie rich and funny.

And she holds the movie together. Tendon, like I said. The spine of the movie is her story - - - her kid issues, her popstar dreams, her fragile bond with the Eric Quizon character  - - - all the others were subplots. So, 80%. More or less give or take. :)

if she was the spine of the movie, why is it that Hilda almost or even surpassed her?

just asking, guys... ???

And Maricel IMO richly deserved that award, its about time people recognize her real talent or "depth" acting as pointed out by diesel.

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2004 at 05:46 PM by keating »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 05:55 PM »
if she was the spine of the movie, why is it that Hilda almost or even surpassed her?

Narratively, keating, iI meant narratively. Hilda Koronel stole scenes from her, yeah. But Sharon's story's the motor/spine/catalyst  of the movie just as the quest to destroy the ring was the motor/spine/catalyst of LOTR but then you have Faramir's subplot, Aragorn's subplot, Gollum's subplot, etc.etc.etc.  Without the quest, all the subplots are just episodes. Without Sharon's story, all the subplots  - - -  sex with a friend's husband, delusions of stardom , siege mentality between dead father and son - - - are just episodes.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2004 at 06:01 PM by X44 »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 06:13 PM »
Got your point X44. Yeah she was really the focus of the story, but what I meant was her performance was not her best...her acting was  just like the style of Julia Roberts and not really getting the depth of her character.

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 06:27 PM »

i guess sharon's integral contribution to this movie, more than her performance, was her mere presence which worked like magic in the box office.  in fairness to sharon, hindi tatabo yung movie sa takilya kung ibang artista yan.

now that you've mentioned sharon's iconicity, it only justifies that her participation in the movie is more of a marketing strategy--not because she can act, but because she has already proven her box-office appeal.

once again, i have nothing personal against sharon.  if i were a director, i'd also get her in my movie because nakaka-challenge to give her something fresh, original and different from her pa-cutie roles.

but if you were doing a critically acclaimed movie, would you actually choose the acting of sharon cuneta?  (acting lang ha?)

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 10:10 PM »
I am a Maricel Soriano fan kaya sa tingin ko mas maganda ang magiging interpretasyon ni Maria dito kaysa kay Sharon. Sa komedi di ba sumikat si Maricel?

Pero totoo: baka hindi nga gaano kumita ang pelikulang ito kung hindi si Sharon ang artista.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2004 at 12:12 AM »
Got your point X44. Yeah she was really the focus of the story, but what I meant was her performance was not her best...her acting was  just like the style of Julia Roberts and not really getting the depth of her character.

Maybe because her character didn't have much depth?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2004 at 12:22 AM »
but if you were doing a critically acclaimed movie, would you actually choose the acting of sharon cuneta?  (acting lang ha?)

Isn't it impossible to consciously set out to make a critically-acclaimed movie, diesel? Doesn't the critical acclaim come after you've made the movie?

now that you've mentioned sharon's iconicity, it only justifies that her participation in the movie is more of a marketing strategy--not because she can act, but because she has already proven her box-office appeal.

OK, diesel. I give up. This is not what I meant but rather than go another round of this Sharon defense thing, which is getting a bit tiring, I'll just clam up. I've elaborated at length about how her iconcity was used as satiric grist but apparently no one seems interested in it . I liked how Sharon's presence was a springboard for poking fun at her persona/celebrity/image . It enhanced the movie for me. Sort of like the old fart jokes played at Clint Eastwood's expense in In the Line of Fire.  An ordinary (more competent) actress wouldn't have that  persona, that kind of celebrity, that image , that iconicty to poke fun at, thus making the movie (probably) almost flat and two-dimensional to me. All I'm saying. Shutting up now. Peace. :)

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2004 at 12:24 AM by X44 »

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2004 at 12:19 PM »
Isn't it impossible to consciously set out to make a critically-acclaimed movie, diesel? Doesn't the critical acclaim come after you've made the movie?

pwede.  if you're doing a movie based on, let's say a palanca-awardee.

huling hirit na lang sir.  peace din po.  :D
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2004 at 12:19 PM by diesel »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jan 21, 2004 at 07:17 PM »
THis movie now ranks as one of the best of 2003 tying with MAGNIFICO.  :)

Future classic comedy in the tradition of  MIke De Leon's Kakabakaba Ka Ba?
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2004 at 07:18 PM by keating »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2004 at 11:11 PM »
review from the New York Times

---------------------------------------------

Mourners for Hire
By A. O. SCOTT

Published: February 20, 2004

A hit in the Philippines, where it won six awards at the 2003 Manila Metro Film Festival, Mark Meily's "Crying Ladies" is a loose and genial soap opera about three working-class Manila women who are hired as mourners for a funeral in the city's Chinese community.

According to the movie, the Chinese practice of employing women to wail for the dead, once common, is on the wane, but the Chua family nonetheless insists on a traditional send-off for its patriarch, a philanderer and possible gangster named Washington. His son, Wilson (Eric Quizon), hires Stella (Sharon Cuneta), a sometime petty thief who has lost custody of her young son after serving a year in prison, as a crier.

Stella, a second-generation crier, recruits two of her friends: Choleng (Angel Aquino), a pious Roman Catholic who is nonetheless having a guilty affair with another woman's husband, and Aling (Hilda Koronel), a shopkeeper who clings to the fading memory of her movie career, whose high point was a bit part in a picture called "Darna and the Giants."

In the easygoing, unembarrassed world of "Crying Ladies," it seems perfectly natural that a stranger should recognize Aling from her decades-old role as a villager crushed by a marauding monster. This may also be a sly joke by Mr. Meily, since Ms. Koronel, like Ms. Cuneta, is a major Philippine movie star. With a refreshing lack of vanity or pretension, these actresses play their ordinary, hard-luck characters with generosity and grace.

Mr. Meily, who directed the film from his own screenplay, gives the audience quite a few plot lines to keep track of. Some, especially those involving Choleng and Aling, are handled in a fairly perfunctory manner, yielding little emotional payoff.

The main axis of the film is Stella's relationship with her son, Bong, who is staying with her for a few weeks before moving to a faraway city with his father and stepmother. His presence causes her, not unpredictably, to shed some of her irresponsibility. Meanwhile, Wilson, who had been estranged from his father, trudges toward an equally predictable therapeutic denouement of "closure," healing and reconciliation.

The movie wears its many clichés lightly and without embarrassment. If it were more tightly constructed, "Crying Ladies" would probably also be more relentlessly melodramatic.

But a movie about people who cry fake tears for money, and for complete strangers, would be ill advised to indulge in displays of overwrought emotion. Its most winning attribute is a kind of sloppy, unassuming friendliness, a likability aptly reflected in its characters.

"Crying Ladies" opens today in New York, New Jersey, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and Honolulu.

Directed by Mark Meily
In Filipino, with English subtitles
Not rated, 110 minutes

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 01:09 AM »
Here are some other quotes from American critics. I always thought Crying Ladies had some international flavor going for it. For the regular pinoy audience, many felt it was dull and boring simply because it did not conform to the usual notion of a feel-good movie. Nonethless, it went on to win awards and even made it as second in the boxoffice (perhaps due to the awards and Cuneta's drawing power). Not so surprisingly, Sharon got very good reviews for her performance from foreign viewers more than pinoys care to admit. Maybe because we are overwhelmed more by her personality rather than by her talent we can't be very objective about her performances.

"There are comic and poignant moments throughout."
-- Sheri Linden, BOXOFFICE MAGAZINE

"There's a refreshing optimism fueling his take on working-class life, as if Meily views friendship and neighborly generosity as currencies equal to cold, hard cash."
-- Chuck Wilson, L.A. WEEKLY

"As the weepy days go by, transgressions are forgiven, priorities reassessed and hearts healed."
-- Maitland McDonagh, TV GUIDE'S MOVIE GUIDE

"Succeeds as first-rate melodrama."
-- Mark Holcomb, VILLAGE VOICE

"It has the potential to build a word-of-mouth audience through its sweet nature and lack of pretense, two qualities that are a rarity in both multiplexes and arthouses."
-- Lisa Rose, NEWARK STAR-LEDGER

"An endearing comedy that deftly blends sentiment and grit and features a clutch of top Filipino stars."
-- Kevin Thomas, LOS ANGELES TIMES

Offline totoybato

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 07:26 AM »
I think Gloria Romero won a Best Actress award for Manang Biday.  

I can't remember if Dolphy won anything for Facifica Falayfay or his other "gay" role in that Brocka flick -- Ang Tatay kong Nanay(?).

Dolphy won the FAMAS for Omeng Satanasia;he had multi roles in the movie.

Offline totoybato

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 07:39 AM »
There's a difference between a filipino movie, and a movie about filipinos. Meily hit both aspects. How about a commentary on the DVD?

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 02:48 PM »
Crying Ladies is my favorite pinoy films of 2003. The concept is different. And a never seen before role of Sharon Cuneta.  Neophyte Film maker Mark Meily does a great shots using the clock.

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 11:05 PM »
I think Gloria Romero won the FAMAS Best Actress award for DALAGANG ILOCANA.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Crying Ladies
« Reply #52 on: Feb 29, 2004 at 01:06 AM »
Here are some other quotes from American critics. I always thought Crying Ladies had some international flavor going for it. For the regular pinoy audience, many felt it was dull and boring simply because it did not conform to the usual notion of a feel-good movie. Nonethless, it went on to win awards and even made it as second in the boxoffice (perhaps due to the awards and Cuneta's drawing power). Not so surprisingly, Sharon got very good reviews for her performance from foreign viewers more than pinoys care to admit. Maybe because we are overwhelmed more by her personality rather than by her talent we can't be very objective about her performances.

That was really brave of Sharon to take on that role. Even foreign audiences have to remind us how wonderful Magnifico is. I guess it's true that we tend to nitpick, focus on the negative instead of appreciating the little good we could do. This is not the same as pwede na yan mentality but give credit where it is due. Humility, as Paco Sandejas reminded in an e-mail, is based on truth. Why can't we praise when it's appropriate? Crab mentality talaga.

The movie's soundtrack is also refreshing. I listen to South Border's Rainbow to inspire me a lot. As Paco also asserts, we need to have more 'pump-up-the-spirit' songs like Queen's We Will Rock You or We Are the Champions instead of pa-martir songs of unrequited love.

Crying Ladies is egging us to get over our melodrama and DO something! Joel Lamangan and his fellow wannabe Brockas mustn't only show that life is hell here but they must contribut to what we can do about it. Tapos na ang Martial Law, we are already part of nation-building. Yes, government officials crap up but what are we doing to make sure they don't do it again aside from whining and lamenting. Crying Ladies kiddingly offers that after the drama, let's get back to business.

The success of this film makes me very hopeful for this nation no matter who wins in May. The future of this country doesn't only rest on who is in power. WE have the power if we choose to accept it. Indeed, it's Mission Impossible but nothing is impossible for people working together.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #53 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 04:05 AM »
I liked it. My only criticism is that the character's other than Sharon lacked development, closure even.

Other than that, it restored my faith in the industry.

Offline masterbaker

• Apprentice
  • Nora Aunor? ah, the fadedstar.
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Mar 07, 2004 at 01:51 PM »
I wouldn't know about pretty, she's about as attractive as a sack of potatoes.  But yeah, I can see her as being too soft and spoiled to be cast in a lower-class role...

CRYING LADIES

By V.A. MUSETTO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rating:  

Email  Archives
 Print  Reprint

February 20, 2004 -- THE title of Mark Meily's Philippine soaper refers to three down-on-their-luck women who sign on as professional mourners at a Chinese funeral in Manila.
Seems paying for tears is a Filipino-Chinese tradition, so the gods, seeing a lot of sob sisters, will think the dearly departed had led a good life.

Anyway, each of the gal pals has her own woes.

Stella, who dreams of a showbiz career, wants to get her young son back from her ex-hubby and his new wife; Doray lives in the past, when she was a B-movie queen; and Choleng is the other woman in a love triangle.

There aren't many surprises as the story unfolds in soap-opera fashion, with a happy ending for all concerned.

Fortunately, Sharon Cuneta, the Philippine superstar who engagingly plays Stella, helps take your mind off the film's generic quality.

CRYING LADIES
In Filipino, with English subtitles. Running time: 110 minutes. Not rated (nothing objectionable). At the Village East, Second Avenue and 12th Street.

Offline masterbaker

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Mar 07, 2004 at 02:27 PM »
it's one of the best tagalog movies i've seen.

meron lang one major flaw...sharon cuneta!

CRYING LADIES

L.A. Times Weekly

In this gentle comedy, set in an unnamed Philippine city, three women are offered a job sobbing and wailing at the five-day wake of a Chinese bus-inessman — tradition says tears will assure his rise to heaven. The gig’s a much-needed financial boon, especially for Stella (an excellent Sharon Cuneta), a reformed con artist whose ex-husband has granted her three weeks with their little boy, Bong (Julio Pacheco). The boy is so thrilled to be with his mother that he doesn’t seem to notice her rundown apartment and hardscrabble life, and it’s this unsentimental mother-child sweetness that anchors writer-director Mark Meily’s disjointed film. Ambitiously, the filmmaker attempts to cover five days in the life of not only Stella but also her fellow criers, as well as the grieving Chinese family, whose magnanimous eldest son is beautifully played by Eric Quizon. While Meily’s point may be that each of these lives is worthy of a film of its own, the nonstop jumping around undercuts his momentum, especially in the film’s overly languorous final third. Still, there’s a refreshing optimism fueling his take on working-class life, as if Meily views friendship and neighborly generosity as currencies equal to cold, hard cash. (Chuck Wilson)

Kudos to Sharon!

Offline masterbaker

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Mar 07, 2004 at 02:35 PM »
Saw it finally, its refreshing dramedy at its best! I agree with Reuven Malter's review...

Hilda Koronel was hilarious! Perfect for replacement for the late Nida Blanca!
I dont know if any other actress could pull that part so much....

Sharon Cuneta is miscast in this movie...glad that the MMFF juror didnt get her nod.

I do hope that the dvd release will feature its trailer, cast & crew interviews and much more features....

Sharon  miscast?   are you crazy or what?  Si Sharon ang may pinaka magandang review dito sa U.S.  at take note,  hindi mga nag mamarunong na mga pinoy critics ang nag bigay kay sharon  review sa mahusay nyang paganap,  kahit nga sina Nora ay hindi nabigyan ng ganitong pansin from N.Y Times, L.A. Times, Hollywood Reporter at T.V. guide no!.  nagbabasa ka ba? o hanggang Abante  tonight ka lang? ha,ha, ha ;-)

Offline Qman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • crawling in my skin ....
  • Liked:
Re: Crying Ladies
« Reply #57 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 03:27 AM »
curious na ko sa pelikulang to ang gaganda ng review sa ibang bansa

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Dec 07, 2004 at 06:07 AM »
I think that Sharon is very good in the movie, but is miscast.  Maybe  because she doesn't look poor at all. Her skin is so flawless and her hair so straight and shiny.  They should have made her look the part, dirtied her up a bit.  The other cast are all good, and Hilda Koronel, stands out in a suprisingly comedic role.

I've seen the movie in the theater last year and I like it. I also bought the DVD.  It's in widescreen and it's one of the best Filipino DVD transfers I've ever seen.  The sound is Dolby digital but I think it's only two-channel and not full 5.1. It has some special features but not very special.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2004 at 06:10 AM by rse »

Offline masterbaker

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Dec 07, 2004 at 08:41 AM »
Ano ba? di ba''t wagi si ate Shawie sa International Film festival?  Ibig sabihin ba if you are mahirap dapat ba ay nanlilimahid ka sa libag? at madumi ang balat mo na mistulang may pugad ka ng Buni at tinea flava? at kulot ang buhok mo na parang Ita?
Most of us still cannot face the truth  na Shawie  is now one of our finest actors in the Philippines di nga ba't  mas lumutang ang performace nya kesa kina Angel at Hilda at yan ay ayon na rin sa mga critics sa ibang bansa O0.