Author Topic: 2 channel only.. what's your listening distance ?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
2 channel only.. what's your listening distance ?
« on: Feb 16, 2012 at 07:13 PM »
looking for speaker positioning tips or ideas from your examples.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
Re: 2 channel only.. what's your listening distance ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2012 at 07:51 PM »
I stay away from walls whenever possible .. then play with the toe-in.

looking for speaker positioning tips or ideas from your examples.

Offline Digities

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2012 at 09:06 PM »
thanks. i have 3 feet behind my listening chair and 3 feet behind the speakers. my only problem is the side wall. and i'm only six feet away from the speakers.

nearfield listening is good for audio right ?

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2012 at 09:24 PM »
Depends on the speakers and your personal preference. laid  back sounding gear is ok for near field listening, otherwise its going to be painfull in the long run. Studio monitors are designed for  near field listening. 

You may want to treat the side walls to get best results. experiment with the angles of the speaker until you get a very precise center  image

thanks. i have 3 feet behind my listening chair and 3 feet behind the speakers. my only problem is the side wall. and i'm only six feet away from the speakers.

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2012 at 09:30 PM »

Nearfield is good when you have a computer-based audio setup and don't have much space or if you are into pro-audio. The room acoustics becomes less of a factor being that nearfield is like halfway between head-fi and full-audio. The sound-stage (aka stereo separation) suffers though and you better get used to listening to lower volume levels to avoid fatigue.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2012 at 09:44 PM by °BSΩLE†e »

Offline parker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2012 at 09:41 PM »
depende ,mga manufacturers meron kanikanilang recomendations na kasama sa manual.

pero read this it might help.
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html

kung audio note standmount speaks matatawa/magugulat ka kung anong pwede gawin. 
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2012 at 09:57 PM by parker »
troll - naughty not evil.

Offline parker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2012 at 09:53 PM »

1 - 1.5-1.6 ratio rear and side. ex 1 foot rear 1.6ft side. more or less kaya lang wag 1 - 1 ratio.
It is most important to insure that the distance to the back and side walls are unequal.

tama yung post sa taas sa listening volume at soundstage pag nearfield.
troll - naughty not evil.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2012 at 03:16 AM »

It's good in many ways -- primarily by minimizing room interaction, so you hear less coloration. The fact that you don't have to turn it up as high also puts less work on the hands of your speakers and amplifier/s (reducing distortion).

The main downsides being that the sweet spot can become very small (moving slightly may change the sound dramatically), and the sound stage may become too compressed / shallow and narrow to be realistic (instruments/performers would seem like they are unnaturally close to each other). These can be avoided or minimized of course, with the right layout and setup.

When done well, the idea is that a near field setup should be akin to teleporting you to the recording venue (the room disappears). The more common domestic HiFi setup (speakers far away from the listener) interacts with the room enough to make it appear like the performers are in the room, arranged/placed in a believable way (or that is often the desired effect). Of course, the success of either setup would also be dependent on the recordings being used.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2012 at 03:34 AM »
The pureness of the sound concentrates your sense of hearing on the recording, so you tend to notice more of the details in a near field setup (with everything else being the same).

Most recordings are microphoned from up close however, which can make a neutral-sounding near-field system sound unnaturally forward at times. A far field system excels in giving this more "natural" presentation by putting space between your ears and the "performer."

Offline Digities

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2012 at 05:30 AM »
thanks for the replies.

nicely explained. that's exactly how it was in my previous hi fi layout and now in my near field setup. stagea, i think i got it right with the nearfield, i don't find it compressed, just a bit more natural positioning., like i am at the recording studio. some guys in foreign forums say nearfield listening is soundstage city.. i think that means it's great for soundstaging. plus i get to hear all the details.. a little too much at times though it should be great for tweaking and hearing more of the changes we do to our systems on a daily basis and of course listening.

much appreciated. bless you all. :)

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2012 at 05:37 PM »
Late reply, but I would hazard a suggestion that the speakers and the amp would play a big part. Some speakers are meant for nearfield listening (like studio monitors) farfield (like my old Dynaudios, based on experience) and some can do both comfortably (like my current speakers). Of course, to do nearfield listening without losing too much if the LF sound necessitates some form of flexibility on the amplification side, either tone, loudness, or room equalization.   ;D

Offline meat_eater

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2012 at 09:21 AM »
My listening position = speaker distance from each other, which is about 8 ft
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline meat_eater

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2012 at 09:24 AM »

If youre worried about wall reflections, you need acoustic treatments - Absorbers.

Place them behind and on the side of the speakers. :)
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM »
Look for the sweetest phantom image on your setup. Stand up, sit down, move near, then far. Mas madali kasi ikaw muna ang maghanap rather than moving your whole setup. For me the spot-on image is near field, almost collinear with the speakers. I can locate the image inside my head, pin-pointed just above my nose. But then nakakapagod nakatayo kaya I just settle for a broader image, sitting 4 feet away from the speakers. ;D
Be better than the Theater.